How to I tell potential employers my reasons for leaving?

I'm currently sending out applications with my resume for another job. I've been at this one for almost one year, and I can't take the racism and sexism that's heavily prevalent here. This place stresses me out so much that it's affecting my daily life outside of work; that's why it's time to leave.

When I interview with other employers and they ask me why I want to leave, what do I say?

It is true that the place I am at now, there is literally no room to advance beyond my current position. But I was fine with it because as long as I have stable income, I can go back to school. But my peace of mind is worth more than the stability I have here, and I didn't want to lie to interviewers. So I just fib and tell them that I'd like to be somewhere where I can advance?

An interview is not a therapy session or an EEOC complaint board. Yes, in this case just gloss it over with the standard fare. They don't know you and they don't know the inner dynamic there. Unfortunately it would make you look like a crank if you complain.

But my peace of mind is worth more than the stability I have here, and I didn't want to lie to interviewers. So I just fib and tell them that I'd like to be somewhere where I can advance?

They won't ask you why you want to leave your current job, they will ask why you want the job you are applying for.

The correct answer is not because your current workplace sucks, it is that you find their company interesting , research then and find some good points to say about them, say you want to broaden your horizons and look forward to the ability to expand your skills and knowledge.

I am often on interview panels and it's very obvious when interviewers are stressed. We allow for that , but as long as you know the job , what's required from you , meet the essential selection criteria etc , you will be fine!

Goo luck!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I do want to point out that the last 3 jobs I've had, they asked why I wanted to leave my current job. The places I am applying for, they are mostly radiology facilities, and that's what I want a degree in. So I can say that I want to work in a company where I can make a career, not just a job.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I do want to point out that the last 3 jobs I've had, they asked why I wanted to leave my current job. The places I am applying for, they are mostly radiology facilities, and that's what I want a degree in. So I can say that I want to work in a company where I can make a career, not just a job.

Bingo! Perfect response in that you want to get into what you are already studying. You love it, you are passionate about it and are looking to get your foot in the door sooner rather than later. That will make perfect sense and make you look good.

Also, yes I always ask why someone currently employed wants to leave their job. The responses can be quite revealing and raise a lot of red flags in some cases. This is the one time where you absolutely do not discuss your frustrations with your current job. The right response to this kind of a question is not that there is a problem with your current position but why you want to work for this new company in particular.

I agree with DancingFool. I would keep it vague but positive. If you're applying to radiology office jobs and you want to get a degree in that, I would say just that: you want a job that will give you experience in your chosen field. Boom. Done.

I interview about a hundred a year, and the best answer to my ears is when, they go, "My true passion lies in (insert industry the position you are interviewing for is in), and I've researched your company, and I love your (insert something you found awesome that the company does or its mission statement or direction, or morales).

Anyone who tells me there was no room for growth - that's fine, but if I'm looking for something that shouldn't expect to run instead of walking, I usually am "meh" about them.

I think it's best to be specific about why you want to go to the new place. Do they have a great radiology department? Are they well-known for this or that? Prior to any interview, you should research the place. And then specifically call out positives about them that attract you to the work. Say you would like to be apart of that team.

It's a winning strategy in my experience.

I interview about a hundred a year, and the best answer to my ears is when, they go, "My true passion lies in (insert industry the position you are interviewing for is in), and I've researched your company, and I love your (insert something you found awesome that the company does or its mission statement or direction, or morales).

Anyone who tells me there was no room for growth - that's fine, but if I'm looking for something that shouldn't expect to run instead of walking, I usually am "meh" about them.

I wrote my response before I read this. And my view is basically the same. I haven't interviewed quite as many people as Tatt, but I can confirm that this approach sets people apart.

They won't ask you why you want to leave your current job, they will ask why you want the job you are applying for.

The correct answer is not because your current workplace sucks, it is that you find their company interesting , research then and find some good points to say about them, say you want to broaden your horizons and look forward to the ability to expand your skills and knowledge.

I am often on interview panels and it's very obvious when interviewers are stressed. We allow for that , but as long as you know the job , what's required from you , meet the essential selection criteria etc , you will be fine!

Goo luck!

This is great advice for anyone. Thanks!

I'm currently sending out applications with my resume for another job. I've been at this one for almost one year, and I can't take the racism and sexism that's heavily prevalent here. This place stresses me out so much that it's affecting my daily life outside of work; that's why it's time to leave.

When I interview with other employers and they ask me why I want to leave, what do I say?

Tell them you are looking for a new challenge and explain why the skills you gained at the current job will allow you to succeed at their company

Archived