Pruning my Internet tree

Blue Ridge

I usually find it lame when people come to a message board and say, "I'm leaving," because it's typically either out of anger or a cry to be asked to stay. Yet I also have been part of many where people disappeared and I always wonder what happened. So figured I'd share what's going on, uninteresting as it may be. I lurked here and on other relationship forums for years off and on. Finally jumped in the fray one slow afternoon at work, and I've been coming on every workday for the last 4 months. Between this site and a couple of dumb flash games, I figure I've been spending roughly 3 hours out of each 8 hour work day looking at a monitor at things completely non work related. Yesterday as I was closing up, I surveyed the shop and looked at all the things that needed done, and realized I need to make a change.

It isn't just at work, either. I've caught myself at home watching a movie, and browsing or playing games during dialog scenes. I feel like I'm developing the attention span of a gnat.

My personality is one that does better with on or off rather than moderation. I find it easier to just break up, quit drinking, or whatever the case may be rather than taking breaks or putting parameters on things. And tomorrow is the first day of a new month, so that seems like as good a time as any.

Overall, life is going great right now. I love my job, am in the best relationship I've ever known, my health is good, and I'm happy. The biggest problem I am facing is time management. I am fascinated by human psychology and particularly relationship dynamics, and even if I went back to "lurk only," am not sure I'd spend any less time. So today will be my last day here. You guys are a great bunch; I've enjoyed my time and have gained knowledge I'll take with me going forward. Wishing all of you the best.

Archived