BIG RED FLAGS. A list:

Kalika

After reading many of these threads, I thought I'd compile a list of big red flags. Some of them are obvious, some are not. Keep in mind, most of these big red flags don't go away, they just get worse! (Thanks Syrix, for reminding me to add that disclaimer

Edit: Many of these can be overcome, but if you have a partner that is displaying several or many of these red flags, there's a greater likelihood that you should reconsider dating this person...

You should be concerned if your partner:

1) Swears at you or calls you names

2) Tells you to shut the F up, or something along those lines

3) Refuses to bring you around his/her family after you've been together a while

4) Talks down to you/treats you like you're stupid.. This may be obvious, but sometimes it's done subtly

5) Spends more time with his/her friends than with you

6) Tells you they are a jerk

7) Tells you of past infidelity (and points the finger of blame at their partner for it)

8 ) Has friends that encourage infidelity

9) threatens suicide or self-harm

10 ) Calls himself or herself stupid or undeserving of your love

11) Ignores you/doesn't do anything special for you on important holidays/your birthday

12) Flirts with your friends in front of you

13) Communicates with you mostly through email or texts

14) Can't communicate with you unless drunk

15) Expects you to pay for everything and doesn't chip in

16) Drinks or does excessive amounts of drugs

17) Talks down to you in front of his/her friends

18 ) Confides in someone or others about serious things

19) Tells you your feelings are wrong or inconsequential

20 ) Ignores you when you try to talk to them

21) Tells you they get over relationships quickly and will have someone else soon if you break up with them

21) Physically hurts or assaults you in some way

22) Threatens to leave you if you wont have sex with them

23) Doesn't stand to defend you if others put you down

24). Only lets you communicate with them at certain times or places

25) Is married, but telling you they're going to separate or divorce eventually

26) Spends excessive amounts of money that they dont have

27) Has no job (and is not in school) and has no immediate plans to contribute somehow

28 ) Never makes plans with you, or repeatedly flakes out on your plans without good reason

29) Lies repeatedly to you or others, even about minor things

30) Is not there for you when you are having problems (death in the family, illness, work, etc)

31) Has left you for someone else, or cheated on you in the past

32) Pressures you to do sexual things you don't want to do

33) Tells another person or others about your sex life

I'm sure I missed many important things.. care to add? Comments?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
number six, fourteen, sixteen and nineteen are all my red flags for my fiance.

I have always known to myself that they were red flags but i guess i still hope they will just magically go away....

You said he's your fiance... have you been having doubts about marrying him??

Excellent post, very well thought out...I like it kalika

Question though. My finacee does #10. He says things like he's a loser or stupid & says he doesn't deserve me & doesn't know why I'm with him. He's a wonderful man in everyway...Do you think this a serious red flag??? what can I or should I do?

Here's some more:

34) Only gives you his cellphone or work number, and won't take you to his house (potentially married and lying about it).

35) Doesn't answer his cell when you're around, and sneaks off to take calls or text someone else (possible cheater).

36) Only dates at odd times, and other times is off limits and totally unavailable, or goes incognito for spells of time or weekends (another girlfriend or cheater).

37) You catch him in multiple lies, big or small, or he lies about his history or former relationships.

- People who say they hate their parents

- People who say they hate their dogs

- People who think how the world is against them, how everything infront of them is going to be an obstacle invented to prevent them for getting what they want

- people who talk about their ex'es on the first date

- people who have a certain reputation or a rumor goes around how they're players, manipulative, cheaters.... proceed with caution

- people who have huge plans of becoming someone important but not doing anything in that direction except talk

- britney spears rule: people who left their pregnant gf's or gf's with newborns not because they had no other options but to be with someone else

- guys who don't give you something as a sign of how they care for birthday, christmas, valentines

- people who claim how they have no friends (it makes you wonder why?)

Question though. My finacee does #10. He says things like he's a loser or stupid & says he doesn't deserve me & doesn't know why I'm with him. He's a wonderful man in everyway...Do you think this a serious red flag??? what can I or should I do?

I don't think 10 is a big one really. That speaks more to a lack of self confidence and that IS something that can generally be rectified. As his fiancee, you're in the best position to hepl him get past that one.

There are several possible concerns. The biggest one is that insecure people tend to seek security wherever they can get it. Sometimes that manifests in the form of emotional or physical affairs, etc.. Or another problem may be that you are always having to provide him reassurance..

One thing that couldn't hurt is premarital counseling for you both, before you take that walk down the aisle.

yes, but we have two children together. this complicates things. plus there is a lot of good to him besides the "RED FLAGS". its hard..

I definitely think that while some of these red flags may be serious, others can be worked on.. have you talked to him about counseling? Especially with two kids, it's important that you feel comfortable about sharing your concerns and opinions with him

i dont see how that is a red flag

It is. If you're left out of it. If you're not the one included in that too. Than you know he's not interested/she in long term relationship or there is a connection missing.

I'll clarify: I'm referring to emotional infidelity..

Or in general, just turning outside the partnership for support. So for example, if I have problems iwth my boyfriend and run around telling all my friends but not discussing it with him, that's pretty disrespectful

Flower - I DEFINITELY hear you on that never taking responsibility thing. I HATE that!! I had an ex that did the same thing. It got so bad that I started referring to him as "D!ck Victim" because he was always acting like a jerk and yet everyone else was always doing him wrong.

if s/he is talking to others about your problems and not you

if s/he is talking about your relationship problems to someone completely unsuitable (an ex, or someone who has a crush on them or somthing)

There are several possible concerns. The biggest one is that insecure people tend to seek security wherever they can get it. Sometimes that manifests in the form of emotional or physical affairs, etc.. Or another problem may be that you are always having to provide him reassurance..

One thing that couldn't hurt is premarital counseling for you both, before you take that walk down the aisle.

oh no, i don't think he'd never cheat.(i'm sure many of said that though...lol ) He's been hurt a number of times in the past by unfaithful women. He knows the feeling. He is very Loyal & respectful....but I do think he is insecure I do feel sometimes I have to provide him with a lot of reassurance...

But yes we are definietly going to do premarital counseling (:

Oh and thank you Ash...that was comforting...any suggestions on how to get past it? (sorry I'm getting off topic here...you can PM me if you preffer)

I'm guilty of #1, 4 and 33. Should I be concerned?

I guess it should concern you if you want to have good relationship communication.. That kind of anger isn't really productive. It might make you feel better, but it's toxic to your communication..

I've definitely been guilty of some of these at certain times, but this is my new Bible, and I'm swearing by it!

And yeah, #33 only refers to problems in the bedroom Or telling really personal details that your S/O probably wouldn't want others to know.

I'm guilty of #1, 4 and 33. Should I be concerned?

I hear #1 on rare occasions. It does bother me but it's not sincere and I understand. I'd be concerned if it's all frequent or meant to be nasty.

If you do something stupid, then expect #4 to be invoked!!

I don't have an issue at all with #33 being done particularly. Depends on your openess towards sex etc. Again though, there's a right and a wrong way to go about this.

I ignored the not meeting the family...(even though I knew his sister, he never told her we were dating...(duh) Our dates were mostly after 9pm, once a week on MY side of town...he ALWAYS had excuses for not seeing me on weekends...basically, I am very sure he had someone else at the same time and was hiding me...and using me. I spent many weekends home alone crying. I feel like an idiot now for trusting him. I am not so trusting anymore. (to my detriment?) Do you think someone who is infatuated with someone pays attention to the signs anyhow...?? Or explains it away like I did at the time....even though I was obviously totally being treated like bathroom soap scum. I am going to have to read your list again...to make sure there are no flags waving now !

Archived