Psychology behind social media

I like FB as long as "friends" whether family or not exercise discretion.  It's the "whackadoos" who are some piece of work.  It's the two faced people who are disgusting and I don't trust them anymore.  They're behavior is off and often times, rather ugly.  I thought they were better than that which is so disappointing if anything.  It's deceitful.

• Thanks 1

In some cases blood is indeed thicker than water. 

My in-laws have been  extremely  generous monetarily throughout my marriage and family life whereas affluent "friends" are penny pinching stingy to a fault.  My in-laws put their money where their mouths are whereas "friends" have not nor will they ever.  

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, mylolita said:

I haven’t had Facebook or any social media for about 6 years now or maybe even more! No TikTok viewing, no Instagram, no Twitter, no Snapchat no anything. My online vice is THIS WEBSITE!!!

Isn't this website so addictive! 😅 I love it here.

Yeah, I actually get you. I noticed how easily it is to be doom-scrolling as they call it... in the meantime you could've read an entire chapter, lol. So, for example, I only use it when needed.

Certainly. social media has its benefits. It's great to keep in touch with those across the pond. It's also a useful tool to build a strong rapport with your followers, should your business depend on it.

But why are some people so determined on curating a fabulous online presence, when life actually happens off-line. Your brand is only as strong as your real life interactions. A rubbish customer service for example immediately tarnishes whatever online presence you created.

Plus, in a time where "living in the now" is touted continuously. Why are we then living more online and not in the present savoring the little/big things in life?

Love hearing your thoughts as usual. ☺️

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, greendots said:

Yeah, I actually get you. I noticed how easily it is to be doom-scrolling as they call it... in the meantime you could've read an entire chapter, lol. So, for example, I only use it when needed.

Certainly. social media has its benefits. It's great to keep in touch with those across the pond. It's also a useful tool to build a strong rapport with your followers, should your business depend on it.

But why are some people so determined on curating a fabulous online presence, when life actually happens off-line. Your brand is only as strong as your real life interactions. A rubbish customer service for example immediately tarnishes whatever online presence you created.

Plus, in a time where "living in the now" is touted continuously. Why are we then living more online and not in the present savoring the little/big things in life?

I agree @greendots.  Social media is great for promoting your business, networking and benefiting one's life. 

What I take issue with is how social media can be abused by people who behave disdainfully online while exercising discretion if you're with them in person.  There is a discrepancy between whom you thought you knew and who they really are as they demonstrate their true characters with abandon online.  This is the sobering reality check.  It makes you think they're hypocrites and distrust sets in.  It's often disappointing because originally when you knew them in person, you held them in high regard yet they let you down sorely.

Ever since I quit FB and on days when I don't even check my cell phone nor computer, you grow not to care about the social media swirl around you.  They can all fall off the face of the Earth for all you care.  On those days, I tend to be extremely productive and industrious.  It's refreshing to revert to how it was pre-Internet days and years.  There's more freedom.  It feels quite liberating and it's as if you give yourself the gift of endless time. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Andrina said:

Like just about everything, there are both pros and cons about it. The majority of my relatives are scattered in other states and even other countries. On FB, I get to see more photos of them and keep updated on their lives than I would otherwise. I enjoyed seeing my brother's cute new dog. (My brother lives in another country.) I like seeing recent photos of my cousins and how they are enjoying life. I no longer work with certain former co-workers whom I miss, and we message each other on occasion on FB messenger. 

I also like seeing photos of people's vacations. Sometimes it sparks my interest in visiting the place myself. If not, I still like seeing different aspects of a location I can't find in a book or documentary, etc.

I also like seeing shared recipes, craft projects, holiday greeting memes.

Of course, there are also people who annoy with their posts. But that's what the unfollow or unfriend function is for.

I agree @AndrinaI like some recipes and I've bought some clothes, too. 

However, social media can be information overload about everyone's lives which is dizzying and fatiguing to keep up with.  This is why I've since deactivated my FB because truth be told, I don't want to know nor couldn't care less!  It's more of a "don't bother me, ignorance is bliss" attitude of mine which is very freeing.  I'm more focused on my own life and immediate people in my midst or my daily industriousness.  I do what I enjoy and / or go to places with my husband (& sons) without blasting my whereabouts and details on FB, IG, etc during every waking hour which is unnecessary.  I value my privacy, too.  Those are my priorities. 

• Thanks 1

Funny thing is, I work with photography and handle hundreds of images by 'influencers' each month. I find some of it really cute, especially where animals are involved, but some of it just makes me say, "Oh, enough already--get over yourself."

I don't tend to tell people this, because I'm not out to discourage anybody, but I really don't care enough about social media outside of work to even give it a thought.

If someone tags me, that's fine, I'm not trying to hide from it, but I just don't want to know certain things about people. I'd prefer to just enjoy my interactions with them without having learned that they are racist or ignorant or otherwise offensive, or that they expect me to acknowledge posts or repost them--not on my time.

I think SM is equal to any other hobby, but I find it annoying when someone is constantly taking pictures in real life to post. I'm not an attention seeker, and while I don't fault anyone who is, I'd prefer that it doesn't interfere when I'm enjoying something without concern for who else knows about It--or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@catfeederDeactivating FB is very freeing.  I couldn't care less about everyone's birthdays, anniversaries and acknowledging everyone, approving, giving likes, etc.  It gets so boring after a while not to mention what a huge time trap it is.  You can't get anything done. 

Gradually, I'm leaning towards escaping the Internet more and more.  For example, if I'm at the dentist / doctor (waiting room), hair salon or at any appointment, instead of burying my nose in my cell phone, I bring a bag of library books and catch up on reading or my real newspaper subscriptions on real paper.  Occasionally, I'll flip through my gifted magazine subscriptions from the postal mail.

Also, less TV / cable which wastes time.  I work on my crafts instead such as sewing, creating quilts, crocheting baby blankets, regular blankets, have a stash of gifts for "just in case" and my numerous other hobbies (calligraphy / cake decorating / greeting card embossing / jewelry making / stamping / wax seals, etc).  Or, I'm out exercising while everyone else is in front of their electronic screen for hours. 

I'm going more "old school" which is quite refreshing as of late and growing into a permanent habit.  I enjoy going against the grain.

8 hours ago, greendots said:

Aw, greendots! Are you kidding! Thank you! Same to you! 

I think all of us can agree we love the thought provoking, so great thread! 

And it is, isn’t it 🥲 Ahh this site! A mixture of self therapy, curtain twitching Dear Deidre, altruistic anonymous helping and a feeling of familiarity in company whilst not having to put yourself out there personally?! 

The fabulous presence! I like that! Well I guess it’s not new is it? I suppose before we had “Keeping Up With The Jones’s” or large characters within our communities who would take most of the attention, create most of the events, and circle most of the gossip, probably!!! It’s gone online now, and it’s easier for everyone to get a piece of their own attention which I just feel, is again, another very human trait. Most of us like our moment round the campfire, everyone listening. Lots of us like to feel heard and share our life and experiences, this website another modern virtual example of that, in a kind of, anonymous way. It’s like anonymous therapy social media - LOL! Thoughts?! 

You’re so right about the YOLO vibe of things. It’s ironic because it often comes from people who don’t really live full or exciting lives.

There’s nothing wrong with normal or average or quiet lifestyles, either. I think people feel left out if their lives aren’t matching up to busy, full throttle on trend(!) promoted lifestyles. It’s in vogue, isn’t it. The white picket fence is kinda uncool at the moment. Action and moving forward and business is fashionable. We can’t and all don’t want to be jumping out of a plane at the weekend. Everyone’s personality adds something valuable to the community. Not everyone can be loud. The loud people have their value too, as well. So do the more timid and in the background types. Pros and cons I suppose, to be politically correct! 

What I’m trying to say is, no one should feel ashamed or less because they feel more sedate or feel they “do less”, or have a feeling of “not so good as my neighbour” life. I just think comparison in some degree is completely normal and unavoidable. It’s heightened through social media because there is technically no switch off. I suppose it can be useful, even, and drive a betterment of yourself but, Y’know, like life, it’s finding this elusive “perfect balance” isn’t it! (Again, someone let me know how you got there!!!)

I read once, I think it was written by Jordan Peterson, that when we belonged to much smaller circles and tribes, everyone was allowed an individual importance that is needed for people, a feeling of belonging and usefulness and yes, praise and admiration. If you were a member of a tribe of 100 people for example (you see this in school classrooms also) someone is “the best at art” or the “most gifted physically” or “the most helpful” or “the funny one” or “the wise one” and, on and on, and because the group is small, one or two people share that special title in the lime light, get deferred too, have their time in the sun, their place in the world, feel important and useful - all again valid needs of humans. No one wants to feel like they don’t matter. 

I’m sorry to go all ohhh small communities are eroded now but, in this billion person world, we no longer have our little tiny moment in the light. That elder isn’t the only ancient person being asked, that person gifted in medicine isn’t the one we all go too. We are competing and milling with thousands of people to millions, depending where you live. 

I also read a study once that people who live in small towns report  higher happiness and satisfaction with their life. Less choice? Know everyone?Greater, tighter feeling of communities? Greater feeling of “importance and what I do matters and has a direct affect?” There is maybe a reason why people often say big cities like London, New York for example, are lonely and cut throat. 

We crave that connection, and yes, a feeling of usefulness and importance. I guess social media gives us a little false hit of this? 

I mean, I am speculating here, might be going off on a tangent that is totally wrong! 

Also, just to add (oh no!!!) that, modern life, the notion of stillness, and doing nothing, basically a form of meditation, is no longer practised much. It’s pushed to a paid yoga class in a hip part of town and we move on until icalendar  pings us the next reminder for our scheduled “sacred time”. My grandparents used sit on a bench and just look out to the sea, saying nothing. People would walk with no pod casts, no ear buds, just the sound of the wind and the birds. When was the last time we just sat, or stood, and did nothing, consumed nothing (sensory and other), and just took in the moment, our surroundings, and heaven forbid, let actual thoughts drift into our mind? We feel we must fill our time endlessly. Either with entertainment, doing something, hobbies, chores, work, anything. We can’t just be, in quiet silence. We no longer meditate or have many meaningful social interactions. I think we’re missing out on our ancestors reflective moments of solitude. I think doses of it are healthy and essential.

(By the way, my moment of reflective solitude without distraction daily used to be my bath, but for the past year or two, I take my phone in with me instead, and low and behold, browse the internet, and online shop. If I had social media, I’d be on there too. I personally can’t remember the last time I technically “did nothing” and didn’t search for distraction or entertainment.)

(Also, another interesting fact I once read - HA! - is that in medieval England, with obviously no artificial light and being a slave to what the seasons brought, for hundreds of years people would go to bed very early (5pm, 6pm) then re-waken around 2am till 3am. The whole community would be awake. They used that time for hobbies, prayer, sex(!) and actually going out and chatting with their neighbours! Some biologists argue our natural circadian rhythm is still set up this way. They made time for this period of what we would call today self care, and also, just being social and neighbourly, and connecting with your spouse and children! Then, back to sleep!)

x

And greendots, just in case I am seen as going off thread, human psychology and the human psyche craves all these essential elements, and social media provides a little seemingly fast track way to fulfil some of them. We also crave ritual, and familiarity, and knowing our place, somehow. Our rituals have become - check media first thing, check emails, go online, soon as we wake, often before even coffee or really talking to anyone or doing anything else.

Anyway, I’ll shut up now 🤣 

x

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, greendots said:

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Agree. I think people like to share their lives with others. To be seen and heard, therefore acknowledged.

As far as businesses, most any business has a social media presence. Heck, the Pope has a Twitter feed. 

• Haha 2

One reason I don't like SM is that I find in certain cases even adults who should know better -because I know them personally  -don't have appropriate boundaries when it comes to posting instead of private messaging me.

For example I avoid at all costs commenting on someone's thread that I will be out of town (crime risk plus if I am visiting my home town briefly often I don't tell everyone as there isn't time to plan with everyone). 

Or if I have private messages with a friend especially personal/sensitive stuff I don't like when that friend then posts with personal details or referring.  Like "oh I read that article you suggested -very interesting on the topic of [post detailed account of highly sensitive topic]" 

I also use boundaries by not "liking" most photos certain acquaintances post to show off their new hairstyle or look (when it's all the time I mean) - yes if the person is a cancer survivor or such and no when it's an obvious attention-seeker - but I will like other posts. I don't know if it makes a difference but I want to at least show that I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon of lavishing attention/praise for just what someone looks like.

I also took a friend's advice and will snooze certain people for 30 days who annoy me or are over the top and unfollowed one real life friend -friendship faded -because she posted publicly to a friend that the friend should look for her save the date invitation for her child's milestone birthday party.  (I wasn't invited).  That was a last straw -I think it's really rude to post that publicly and I didn't need to read her stuff anymore.  Those are my sort of anecdotal/personal thoughts

I'm totally in Andrina's camp and love FB for a lot of the reasons she wrote.

I belong to FB groups revolving recipes and clothes as well as one FB group from my town / city which is generic info only.  Nothing personal.  I rarely only see tidbits. 

I've pleasantly discovered that ever since I've quit FB, IG, etc, whenever I reunite with friends and family, my relationships with them are fresher and not stale nor boring because we have more to catch up on.  Since I don't update anything about my life, don't post pics, quotes, memes or "thoughts of the day," I'm somewhat of an enigma.  In turn, I'm no longer constantly reminded of what my FB friends are doing 24 / 7 because I couldn't care less.  It's dizzying and fatiguing keeping up with everyone's lives, endlessly wishing everyone a "Happy Birthday!"  "Congratulations!" "Happy Anniversary!" giving "likes," etc.  I no longer see FB comments, snippy arguments, narcissists, attention seekers, insecure braggarts, political fanatics nor religious zealots.  It is all so tiresome and a huge time trap.  You can't get anything done because the day gets away from you.

My best, local friends and I do not participate nor belong to the FB social merry-go-round.  We've since disembarked from the carousel.

The people whom I'm closest to, celebrate occasions in our own way without fanfare. 

Too much familiarity breeds contempt. 

Guys, so much food for thought!

I did not know that the Pope was on social media. 😆 Nice! Whoever is managing his account most likely liked that bikini model shot.

mylolita, please keep sharing your thoughts with us no matter how long or short they are. 🙃

13 hours ago, mylolita said:

Everyone’s personality adds something valuable to the community.

So true!

15 hours ago, Cherylyn said:

It gets so boring after a while not to mention what a huge time trap it is.

Cherylyn, it totally is! Algorithms are there to ensure you spend as much time as possible on those apps. Not sure if y'all watched "The Social Dilemma". Quite eye-opening to be honest.

Apologies for no longer personally thanking everyone, who already commented before, for their contribution which is greatly appreciated. I hope you're having a fantastic day! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get clients through FB and keep up a business page and private page for clients to see what their kids are up to during daycare . It is useful for me. 

I also keep up with friends that are thousands of miles away . I didn’t live in a singular place so not all my family and friends are in one place or local.  Also being a military spouse friends get posted away all the time . It is how we keep in touch . 

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, greendots said:

Guys, so much food for thought!

Cherylyn, it totally is! Algorithms are there to ensure you spend as much time as possible on those apps. Not sure if y'all watched "The Social Dilemma". Quite eye-opening to be honest.

I agree social media is a huge time trap and before you know it, the day gets away from you.  I'm at the point where ignorance is bliss.  I don't care about other people's lives down to the minutiae.  It's too much information overload.  It's better to be productive and industrious.

• 1 month later...

So, turns out I'm questioning social media more and more as days go by.

For example, I've noticed how some couples have different views on the use of social media. One is a Sherlock Holmes of sorts, who's so protective and private about the relationship barely acknowledging it online. Then, we've got the Nicholas Sparks/Jane Austen wannabee who embellishes breathtaking mementos with poetic words, essentially aiming to write the romance novella of the year.

Thus, you'd think both are driving mostly on different lanes, except for some common intersections. Still, as per their novelette, they seem to make it work. They seem very happy. Their social media has become a fairy tale. Or has that mostly been one-sided from the outset?

Looking at it with a psychological lens, when you're happy you want to share your excitement with others. But where is that fine line of being genuinely blissful and overselling your joy?

What I've also discovered: nowadays, it seems, events that aren't documented on social media never happened. *facepalm*

What are your thoughts? 🙂

6 hours ago, greendots said:

Looking at it with a psychological lens, when you're happy you want to share your excitement with others. But where is that fine line of being genuinely blissful and overselling your joy?

When I'm happy I want to share my joy with those who I know would want to hear about it and be happy about it and even if I "want" to shout it from the rooftops it doesn't mean I'm going to choose to post on social media. 

My son is 14.  We severely limit photos of him on social media -there are a few from when he was a baby that others posted before we ended that and we allow his camps/schools to post -mostly untagged -on private FB groups.  We don't allow friends or family to post photos of him. 

I posted one photo of me and my son because it ran in the national news 9 years ago -a photo of us from behind taking in a museum exhibit in our neighborhood.  I shared nothing that wasn't already out there and the photographer from the news outlet had asked my permission in advance. Unlike on social media.

I don't buy this whole "well obviously I posted about ____ because I want to share my joy" - there's a step missing there that involves a choice, discretion, thoughtfulness about who will see it and whether it's worth it to post to hundreds if  you know it might make a number of them feel badly (not saying it means don't post -but it requires balancing and thoughtfulness).  

Over the years we've emailed and texted about our joy to friends and family either one on one or in very small groups. Almost always in response to a text or email "please send me recent photos/please tell me about your trip etc" And my mom and sister (and MIL and FIL, RIP!) from the very beginning made it 100% clear they wanted to hear every minute detail about our son from the moment he was born -they couldn't get enough. 

So I did - but it never occurred to me to post publicly about all the joyous moments and milestones etc and funny stuff he said on social media where I have hundreds of friends -that would have bored most of them to tears and made me look...well to me anyway- not a good look lol.  I don't mind and often like my friends' social media posts about that sort of thing but it's not for me and thank goodness not for my husband.

My friend's husband -a well educated smart and awesome parent in his 50s last month posted about their son's academic accomplishments in high school -which was totally cool except there was a photo that shared his name and student ID and if you enlarged lots of sensitive info.  I've seen that a lot -people in their haste to share their joy post sensitive info.  Not good IM.

I just don't like the typical excuses and the "post or it didn't happen" stuff.  And I cannot stand when people post to me on FB with personal questions - why would I comment about personal stuff that way? I always text or private message the person with my response.  I really don't get it.

That's really interesting about the idea that "if it's not on social media it didn't happen," and by interesting I mean disturbing to the n'th degree. I would be considered a non entity except twice a year or making sarcastic posts to get fools riled up.

I look at my friend's wife posting chronically about their son (all very posed and curated photos) and another friend in her pregnancy with only a select few even knowing. Your post got me to thinking what is the motivation behind the former? I know earlier I mentioned curating a narrative about your life, but I am starting to think it's more than just the need for validation from external sources.

It is really starting to come across as if there is a deep seated need to document everything as proof that you are who you claim to be. Perhaps it is moving away from the idea that one's word is one's bond, and the need to have proof for every thing. The old "Sources?" trash comment born out into the lives of many.

• Thanks 1

My friend's ex husband posted pics of the two of them on very rare occasions. One that stands out was their anniversary photo, where he posted with a very self congratulatory caption along the lines of "I was going to post a pic of when we got married and one from today but we look exactly the same as we did back then so no need". Ok then. Turns out he was actively having multiple affairs and had even taken a woman to the very place he and my friend celebrated their anniversary! 

So I tend to look at social media with a cynical eye, especially those posts where people claim to be "so blessed!" and deliriously happy. Same with YouTubers. No one's life is in a constant state of bliss. 

I post occasionally, often with pics of the beautiful scenery I encounter during my walks. I also used to post pics of my sweet kitty, but sadly she passed away. I did post when she died because I wanted and needed support (and received it, in spades). 

I guess people crave attention and social media is great for that. 

10 hours ago, greendots said:

So, turns out I'm questioning social media more and more as days go by.

For example, I've noticed how some couples have different views on the use of social media. One is a Sherlock Holmes of sorts, who's so protective and private about the relationship barely acknowledging it online. Then, we've got the Nicholas Sparks/Jane Austen wannabee who embellishes breathtaking mementos with poetic words, essentially aiming to write the romance novella of the year.

Thus, you'd think both are driving mostly on different lanes, except for some common intersections. Still, as per their novelette, they seem to make it work. They seem very happy. Their social media has become a fairy tale. Or has that mostly been one-sided from the outset?

What I've also discovered: nowadays, it seems, events that aren't documented on social media never happened. *facepalm*

What are your thoughts? 🙂

My husband posts pictures of fighter jets and sports pictures on his social media . I plainly don’t care 🤷🏻‍♀️. Not my interests. I post things about things going on in our family on FB. He already knows about them , again , he doesn’t need to care about the post .  

On 3/24/2023 at 6:07 AM, Batya33 said:

And I cannot stand when people post to me on FB with personal questions - why would I comment about personal stuff that way? I always text or private message the person with my response.  I really don't get it.

I don't get that either. I wish people would be more considerate and sensible when dealing with someone else's personal information. I remember in the early days of social media I was a bit more liberal but over time you grow and learn how to respect and protect that which you care for the most.

On 3/24/2023 at 6:58 AM, Coily said:

It is really starting to come across as if there is a deep seated need to document everything as proof that you are who you claim to be.

Interesting perspective! Hadn't thought about that. Who am I as per my social media? Most likely, fiction. My life as per my lack of posts is non existent, hehe.

On 3/24/2023 at 9:30 AM, boltnrun said:

Turns out he was actively having multiple affairs and had even taken a woman to the very place he and my friend celebrated their anniversary! 

Yikes! I heard plenty of stories about other's apparent blissful life in front of the camera that behind the scenes is actually quite shocking. I wonder, why don't we focus our energy on improving our actual "real" life instead of curating our fictional online one?

On 3/24/2023 at 9:43 AM, Seraphim said:

he doesn’t need to care about the post .

You hear though social media users complaining–even on here–how their partner didn't like their post but liked someone else's and then they get upset. How society is changing and the way we present ourselves online is now having an impact on our real life relationships.

Fascinating stuff, really. You guys gave us plenty to think about. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Please keep them coming. 😀