Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver’s Seat (extended)

14 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

Cool! I've been having my zoom beadweaving class these last few weeks. Almost as good as if I was actually attending the class in person! The difference is, I've already learned most of the techniques for beadweaving, whereas I have almost no knowledge about crochet.... I think I'll have to attend in-person classes for knitting and crochet before I can do the online ones.

Yes , I know nothing about beadweaving so it would be the same for me . For my zoom class and in person classes it is at our local military community centre. We had beginners at the in person class and definitely more people. Our online class has dwindled down to just the 4 experienced people. 

After I move them when they go to in person and I won’t be able to join in anymore. 😞 maybe they will have a group at the military centre in my new home. 

The ice has thawed off the Bay now, no more ice fishermen on the ice with their huts. It is getting warmer on average with very nice days sprinkled in between. Green grass is sprouting in between the brown blades of grass and mud. The singing birds are returning home . Turn the time ahead to Spring. 

I wonder if other people from my generation who experienced the latter part of the Cold War do mental preparation for end of the world apocalyptic scenarios. I have very complex plans for every need and scenario filtering through my head almost daily.  I was born 21 years after WW2.  Seeing the movies like Red  Dawn made a huge impact on my life. ( The original version in 1984) I won’t show the trailer. However, my stomach plummets every time I have ever seen the movie. It is always in the back of my mind that the end of society as we know it might end in my lifetime. Enter COVID. Maybe I am not far off. 

Ever since I gained a social conscience ,an understanding of world events may be on a primitive level around the age of 10 or so I have had these thoughts. I have been talking about it since. My family ( husband and son)was stunned that I seemed to have anticipated the new world order. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Enter COVID. Maybe I am not far off. 

There will probably be more, 'Covids,' based on what has been said and known for years now.  

Also intriguing is what happened after the Bubonic Plague.  Historically, socially, and economically, it was a, "Great Reset," a redistribution of wealth since so many died... peasants were able to demand higher wages (according to how history views it now) because people were so desperate for workers after 1 in 3 people were killed.  Farmers lost their farms, people who hadn't owned anything were able to move into estates and farms, and claim it for themselves, a new type of nobility emerged in some places as these peasants took over, resetting society in a way, because of the sheer amount of death - there was no one left in some of those rich houses etc.  Historians are also starting to view the Bubonic Plague as having a cleansing affect on the land... the farms that weren't taken over, had forests grow up over them.  The land, "was able to heal," is how they're reframing this now... the same as what those calling for the great reset are saying about our cities during lockdown.  They put out one video claiming our, "cities were able to breathe."  It's in lock step with what happened before, or at least, how they're viewing it now.  The Black Death, the pandemic that killed 1 out of every 3 persons, is viewed in a utopic and positive light by historians now, the chance for higher wages, the chance for a redistribution of wealth among peoples (the poor taking over the uninhabited places of the rich), the land getting to, "heal," in their words.  People doing life, "differently," etc.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, maritalbliss86 said:

There will probably be more, 'Covids,' based on what has been said and known for years now.  

Also intriguing is what happened after the Bubonic Plague.  Historically, socially, and economically, it was a, "Great Reset," a redistribution of wealth since so many died... peasants were able to demand higher wages (according to how history views it now) because people were so desperate for workers after 1 in 3 people were killed.  Farmers lost their farms, people who hadn't owned anything were able to move into estates and farms, and claim it for themselves, a new type of nobility emerged in some places as these peasants took over, resetting society in a way, because of the sheer amount of death - there was no one left in some of those rich houses etc.  Historians are also starting to view the Bubonic Plague as having a cleansing affect on the land... the farms that weren't taken over, had forests grow up over them.  The land, "was able to heal," is how they're reframing this now... the same as what those calling for the great reset are saying about our cities during lockdown.  They put out one video claiming our, "cities were able to breathe."  It's in lock step with what happened before, or at least, how they're viewing it now.  The Black Death, the pandemic that killed 1 out of every 3 persons, is viewed in a utopic and positive light by historians now, the chance for higher wages, the chance for a redistribution of wealth among peoples (the poor taking over the uninhabited places of the rich), the land getting to, "heal," in their words.  People doing life, "differently," etc.

It is interesting how big calamities change society. 

58 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

It is interesting how big calamities change society. 

I think it's alarming in a way, that teaching kids the Bubonic Plague was a good thing, something to be encouraged or replicated to help the land, air, etc. "heal."  I've never heard those ideas before, but it fits in line with this new great reset the W.E.F. is pushing.

5 minutes ago, maritalbliss86 said:

I think it's alarming in a way, that teaching kids the Bubonic Plague was a good thing, something to be encouraged or replicated to help the land, air, etc. "heal."  I've never heard those ideas before, but it fits in line with this new great reset the W.E.F. is pushing.

True, I can’t see it as a good thing. Massive death of people. 

My blood sugar dropped massively today and I almost fell off my chair because I was light headed. I quickly ate half a banana and felt much better. I ate a lunch meal much higher in sugar than normal . I had tomato soup. Now feeling much better. Much! 

I booked my Diabetic appointment for April 21. 

10 hours ago, Seraphim said:

My blood sugar dropped massively today and I almost fell off my chair because I was light headed. I quickly ate half a banana and felt much better. I ate a lunch meal much higher in sugar than normal . I had tomato soup. Now feeling much better. Much! 

I booked my Diabetic appointment for April 21. 

Wow!  Do you usually eat a good breakfast?  Something that helps is eating a high protein and fat breakfast like eggs and avocados or something similar, with a bowl of a healthy carb like oatmeal (sweetened with honey or sugar...).  I know you're doing Keto right?  This would still be a great breakfast that will help you set your blood sugar for the day.

The high protein/fat will help balance you out (and it also dramatically curbs anxiety which is a little odd, but works) and then the oatmeal stabilizes blood sugar by default.

8 hours ago, maritalbliss86 said:

Wow!  Do you usually eat a good breakfast?  Something that helps is eating a high protein and fat breakfast like eggs and avocados or something similar, with a bowl of a healthy carb like oatmeal (sweetened with honey or sugar...).  I know you're doing Keto right?  This would still be a great breakfast that will help you set your blood sugar for the day.

The high protein/fat will help balance you out (and it also dramatically curbs anxiety which is a little odd, but works) and then the oatmeal stabilizes blood sugar by default.

Oh God no, no time for that. I usually have 2% Greek yogurt with Splenda and tea. I have hated breakfast most of my life and didn’t eat it from the age of 13 to 52.

9 hours ago, maritalbliss86 said:

I usually roll out of bed about half hour before my first client arrives. Shower and run downstairs and eat my yogurt and first kid walks in the door. Get snack for 3 kid and get 3 kids out the door for school and then my staying the day kids arrive at 8. Snack for the littles .... 

I eat lunch about 12, usually salad. 

2 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Oh God no, no time for that. I usually have 2% Greek yogurt with Splenda and tea. I have hated breakfast most of my life and didn’t eat it from the age of 13 to 52.

I'm a morning person lol, so I have sometimes gotten up at 4am in effort to have more, "me," time in the morning :D , but I get it, not everyone wants to do that 🙂

Yogurt is great for breakfast, but don't be afraid of full-fat.  Full-fat dairy has shown to help women lose weight faster ironically... the lower fat or no-fat doesn't promote weight loss as effectively when tested for that.

And if you're worried about stabilizing your blood sugar, oatmeal is like a miracle worker for that ❤️ even if you add it to your lunch as a side or something, you may want to try it and see if you feel better during the day.

Oh I am not afraid of fat at all even though I am on a cholesterol pill. It is the sugar content. I try and keep my sugar consumption to 10 grams a day and my carb consumption to  between 50-100 grams. My last A1C reading was 5.9 and my last random an hour after eating was 7.7. 

1 hour ago, maritalbliss86 said:

Yogurt is great for breakfast, but don't be afraid of full-fat.  Full-fat dairy has shown to help women lose weight faster ironically... the lower fat or no-fat doesn't promote weight loss as effectively when tested for that.

If you check the label on the low fat varieties, you'll often find that they're full of sugar. Much more sugar than the full-fat kind.* That's what companies do to replace the flavor lost from removing the fat.

I've always been a big fat-eater myself. And despite what you hear on the news and such, my cholesterol levels have always been healthy.

Of course, that may all start to change as I enter my mid-40s. But that's just part of life. I don't think I'll ever be able to give up fat, though. It's too delicious. 

*not the sugar-free ones, obviously.

2 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

If you check the label on the low fat varieties, you'll often find that they're full of sugar. Much more sugar than the full-fat kind.* That's what companies do to replace the flavor lost from removing the fat.

I've always been a big fat-eater myself. And despite what you hear on the news and such, my cholesterol levels have always been healthy.

Of course, that may all start to change as I enter my mid-40s. But that's just part of life. I don't think I'll ever be able to give up fat, though. It's too delicious. 

*not the sugar-free ones, obviously.

I eat the 2% plain Greek. It has the lowest sugar. I do eat only berries usually for fruit as they are better for diabetics 

My paternal family has always for many generations had massive issues with diabetes and cholesterol and cardiovascular death. My dad had his first heart attack at 39 and open heart surgery triple bypass at 40. Four more heart attacks and a quadruple bypass at 65. And 11 TIAs. His mom died of a stroke. Both my father’s parents were diabetic. His maternal grandparents were diabetic as well as a maternal uncle who died of a stroke. 
And diabetes killed my dad’s kidneys which put him on dialysis for 5 years then he decided to die. 

• Sad 1