Is this normal?

Qwerty55

I would think this selection would be quite pleasurable to eat: "So, mostly on Saturdays, I binge eat a lot starting at 7AM once I wake up. I literally eat A LOT. Biscuits, chocolates, ice cream, instant noodles, and candies for breakfast. Then for lunch I would take out McDonalds or KFC and order A LOT of meals. After that, I treat myself by drinking a grande size frappe from starbucks and a piece of cake"

You think she forces herself to eat these tasty morsels? I am getting hungry just looking at it and I am full! Alas, they aren't in my place ;)

Yeah... I do. Who eats multiple meals? Without forcing themselves to go?

For most people, I think a really cheating cheat day would be eating a bad breakfast, bad lunch, and bad dinner - not 3x the meals they’re supposed to have in a day

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah... I do. Who eats multiple meals? Without forcing themselves to go?

For most people, I think a really cheating cheat day would be eating a bad breakfast, bad lunch, and bad dinner - not 3x the meals they’re supposed to have in a day

Those who crash diet and appear to have a poor regular diet (rice, listed binge foods). It is a typical physical outcome, not a mental health issue (aka a disorder) in the least. She can achieve healthier results with focusing on improving her diet by removing tempting foods from her residence, eliminating empty calories, and eating a balanced/diverse diet which will curb such physical cravings. Going to the gym also helps a great deal.

Those who crash diet and appear to have a poor regular diet (rice, listed binge foods). It is a typical physical outcome, not a mental health issue (aka a disorder) in the least. She can achieve healthier results with focusing on improving her diet by removing tempting foods from her residence, eliminating empty calories, and eating a balanced/diverse diet which will curb such physical cravings. Going to the gym also helps a great deal.

I agree... all I’m saying is NOT normal is that she’s “forcing” herself to eat beyond the point she feels dull. THAT is all I think is weird.

I agree... all I’m saying is NOT normal is that she’s “forcing” herself to eat beyond the point she feels dull. THAT is all I think is weird.

I get it. However, it IS a well documented, normal physical reaction for your body to force itself to overeat, even after it's full, after partaking in crash dieting and a nutrient poor diet. It is not weird, it is typical because the body is trying to find more nutrients while also craving physically addictive food to achieve a quick satisfaction.

I don't know if it's normal to binge eat uncontrollably on ny cheat day. Even when I'm full, I force myself to eat and eat because that's the only day I can cheat my diet..

No, it's not normal to continue forcing yourself to eat and eat after you are full, imo. Anything that gets out of control is not normal and needs professional attention (again, imo).

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a cheat day when one is dieting, but only in a way where you allow yourself a treat, like ice-cream, or dessert, or even one junk meal, but going on a completely out of control binge like you describe, I don't think it's normal. I would recommend you see a dietitian and/or therapy to help you figure out where all of these issues are coming from.

(Side note: OP, this is your third thread on the topic of diet/eating disorders. Maybe a good idea to start a journal so that you can continue this topic in one place only. Thanks).

3 years ago I lost 100lbs in 4.5 months. I have an unusual metabolism, where I can put weight on easily, but also lose it quickly.

If I eat 2200 cals a day (recommended for a male my age) I put on weight. For me to lose weight I have to drop below 1000 calories, usually 600-700 on a low carb diet.

I weighed twice a day, morning and night and this is what I found......

I lost approx 300 grams a day. If I drank less than 1.5 litres of water I would only lose 150 grams.

If I had one alcoholic drink I wouldn't lose weight that day.

Never miss breakfast and have it as early as possible. Eat lunch at a normal time and dinner before 6pm. Drink plenty of water in the evening. Missing or a late breakfast restricted my loss and so did late meals in the evening.

Once I was in a state of ketosis and had a cheat day I wouldn't lose weight for 2-3 days. Even one piece of home made bread with low fat margarine would stop my daily loss.

I cut cheat days out in the first two weeks. If you're on a low cal/carb diet, the first week is horrible. You feel very hungry, but after the first week the hunger pains disappear and even a small salad fills you up.

Cheat days take you back to square one, especially if you're eating a lot. You never get over the hungry feeling as your body doesn't get a chance to adjust to the low calorie diet. You are constantly going in and out of a state of ketosis.

You might think you can exercise to account for the cheat day, but weight loss is 90% diet. To prove this to myself, the second month I exercised for an hour a day, 7 days a week and lost 10kg. The next month I didn't exercise at all and lost 9.5kg for the month.

In my experience, you are dragging out the diet far longer than you need to be on it, due to your cheat day. As I said, even a sensible cheat day could reduce the weight you lose by at least a third. You are probably only losing half the weight you could be.

That's if she's even eating 1500 calories a day. She has said she eats three half-bowls of rice a day and a little meat and veggies. That's about 1,000 calories. And then to eat 3,000-4,000 calories one day a week cancels out any dieting gains, so she's not losing any weight. It's not a good diet plan.

Weekdays = (breakfast, lunch and dinner) Half cup of brown rice, protein (like meat), and milk in the morning.

Saturday = binge eating

Sunday = Same cycle as weekdays except there is no breakfast

Weekdays = (breakfast, lunch and dinner) Half cup of brown rice, protein (like meat), and milk in the morning.

Saturday = binge eating

Sunday = Same cycle as weekdays except there is no breakfast

Wow, that's incredibly unhealthy! You have no vegetables or fruit of any kind whatsoever? Only rice and meat and some milk? Not sure if I missed something.

What nutritionist recommended that you force feed yourself even when your stomach is full? No wonder you feel awful the next day.

You may be doing irreversible damage to your digestive system.

Please consult a professional to get on a healthy diet.

I don't seek any nutritionist. This is my own method of enjoying my meal while maintaining a certain weight.

Just to be clear guys, I'm not trying to losr weight. It's more of maintaining my weight while I have a day of enjoying whatever I want to eat. Do I mind if I lose weight? Not at all. Do I mind if I maintain the same? Not at all. But do I mind if I gained? Yes. The last time I weighed in at an accurate weighing scale which was days ago was 57kg.

Wow, that's incredibly unhealthy! You have no vegetables or fruit of any kind whatsoever? Only rice and meat and some milk? Not sure if I missed something.

I do eat veggies but only twice a week. Honestly, I don't eat fruits. I have this perception that fruits are sugar/glucose that's why I barely eat any fruits.

I do eat veggies but only twice a week. Honestly, I don't eat fruits. I have this perception that fruits are sugar/glucose that's why I barely eat any fruits.

I promise you that eating fruit with natural sugar/glucose is a hella lot better for your health than the current uncontrollable binge eating of junk food. Please please see a nutritionist, or dietitian and/or a therapist to help you. What you are doing is incredibly unhealthy.

You are eating very unhealthy.

Why aren't you eating fruit and vegetables daily? Only eat rice once a day. You are concerned about fruit but eat rice. That makes zero sense. And that weekly pig out is loaded with unhealthy sugars. How in the world did you come up with this diet? There is no balance and it is lacking basic nutrition.

Okay...see a nutritionist. This is completely wrong, due to misinformation. Here is a link to the USDA for healthy eating guidelines:

https://www.choosemyplate.gov/dietary-guidelines

You should be eating mostly fruits and vegetables in nearly equal amounts daily. It should be the biggest portions out of your daily intake. For me, my work provides a personalized health screening annually and it says I need this menu based on my height, normal weight, and daily exercise: "It is recommended that you eat at least five fruits and vegetables each day; 3 ounces of whole grain food such as oatmeal or whole wheat bread each day; 3 cups of low-fat milk per day to maintain bone health; and limit high fat food intake". The link I provided explains what a healthy plate looks like. If you want to be healthier, then follow it. Of course you can enjoy "unhealthy" foods, in moderation. The key is in moderation.

I don't seek any nutritionist. This is my own method of enjoying my meal while maintaining a certain weight.

Except, you just stated you don't want to be healthy. You want to eat what you want for one cheat day, while maintaining your weight. If that's been working for you in maintaining your weight and you are satisfied with what you eat, then congratulations you achieved your goal. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but this is normal. Not healthy, but normal in these times. In America, with the UK and Canada following right behind, two-thirds of the population is overweight/obese, which is mainly due to the poor nutrient food easily available. A poor diet of food, plus crash dieting leads to this cycle of bad eating habits because the body is trying to re-establish its equilibrium by finding quick fixes in high fat/nutritionally poor foods, which leads to cravings. The high fat, addictive foods capitalize on the body's natural fast/famine mechanisms, whereas in a nutrient deficit time this kicks in. While this may be a normal physical reaction to what you're doing and being a normal behavior in society today, doesn't mean this is good for your body. Statistically speaking, human behavior/trends follow a bell curve. Right now in the areas I mentioned, the majority of the population is over a healthy weight, which in the bell curve dictates this to be normal behavior in society. However, this unhealthy, normal lifestyle most people partake in is becoming an epidemic in the world. I have great interest in epidemiology, while having a scientific background, so it goes without saying I enjoy learning about why people do this, despite putting their own health at risk.

In a long winded way, please do not label yourself as having an eating disorder when you partake in behaviors that inevitably sustain your body's behavior. This is a scapegoat, taking personal responsibility away from your own deliberate actions and categorizing it into a mental disorder, which will cripple you into thinking this isn't your fault or by your own doing. You are doing this to yourself by your own volition. It isn't because you have a mental problem. This is all a physical manifestation of what you decide to put into your own body. If you don't want to do this anymore, then start eating and only buying those foods in the guidelines I gave you, then your body will naturally start to cease this binging behavior. If you want to keep up this unhealthy cycle, then that's your choice. Know it is your choice and own it.

"Bulimia signs and symptoms may include:

Being preoccupied with your body shape and weight

Living in fear of gaining weight

Repeated episodes of eating abnormally large amounts of food in one sitting

Feeling a loss of control during bingeing — like you can't stop eating or can't control what you eat

Forcing yourself to vomit or exercising too much to keep from gaining weight after bingeing

Using laxatives, diuretics or enemas after eating when they're not needed

Fasting, restricting calories or avoiding certain foods between binges

Using dietary supplements or herbal products excessively for weight loss

The severity of bulimia is determined by the number of times a week that you purge, usually at least once a week for at least three months.

If you have any bulimia symptoms, seek medical help as soon as possible. If left untreated, bulimia can severely impact your health."

It seems you are well aware that you have a very unhealthy approach to regulating your weight/eating. And like most people who do this you refuse medical care.

I'm following a low calorie diet 6 days a week. I binge eat a lot starting at 7AM once I wake up. I literally eat A LOT. Biscuits, chocolates, ice cream, instant noodles, and candies for breakfast. Then for lunch I would take out McDonalds or KFC and order A LOT of meals. After that, I treat myself by drinking a grande size frappe from starbucks and a piece of cake. I have this rule I should eat only until 3pm on my cheat day and do a 16-18 hour fasting until the next day.
I promise you that eating fruit with natural sugar/glucose is a hella lot better for your health than the current uncontrollable binge eating of junk food. Please please see a nutritionist, or dietitian and/or a therapist to help you. What you are doing is incredibly unhealthy.

Yes and whole fruits have fiber which is why the sugar content isn't equivalent to sugars in juices, sweets, etc. I recommend a few dried figs every day (not too many but I find the texture is almost sweets/cake like so it satisfies a craving, gives energy, has fiber). Also when you are hungry drink plain water instead because often thirst is misconstrued as hunger.

Try to incorporate some fruit/veggies -even small amounts -daily to develop the habit. I put avocado on sandwiches and toast, eat apple slices as a snack, and add steamed broccoli to chicken, omelets,

and sometimes just grab a few pieces while prepping a meal, etc. It doesn't have to be huge portions but if you get your body used to daily fruit/veggies it soon becomes the go too snack more than the junk.

Qwerty55, I encourage you to get a balanced daily diet. You'll probably find it improves your performance at work because your brain and your body need more a balanced steady diet. If you want a cheat day, pick one thing to cheat with and a time of day. Maybe this week it is chocolate, maybe next week it is ice cream. You don't have to cheat with every possible thing all day long. Promise yourself on chocolate day that ice cream day is a thing, too, and is not that far away.

If you add a LOT more veggies and fruits into your diet you may find you don't crave the binging as much.

If you add a LOT more veggies and fruits into your diet you may find you don't crave the binging as much.

This is great advice.

I have the same black & white thinking as you, where I'll be perfectly "good" for a number of days, but then I'll ruin it with a cheat day that turns into a binge.

For me, what really helps is that I incorporate a large amount of veggies (not fruits) every day. It's either a giant salad for lunch with dark leafy greens and protein, or with dinner, I'll add 2-3 cups of steamed vegetables. I keep about 5-6 bags of frozen veggies in my freezer at all times so that I have no excuse. By the time I've eaten that much "green", my body seems to be a lot more satisfied, and the normal binge-y times and days just seem to evaporate.

Yes and whole fruits have fiber which is why the sugar content isn't equivalent to sugars in juices, sweets, etc. I recommend a few dried figs every day (not too many but I find the texture is almost sweets/cake like so it satisfies a craving, gives energy, has fiber). Also when you are hungry drink plain water instead because often thirst is misconstrued as hunger.

Try to incorporate some fruit/veggies -even small amounts -daily to develop the habit. I put avocado on sandwiches and toast, eat apple slices as a snack, and add steamed broccoli to chicken, omelets,

and sometimes just grab a few pieces while prepping a meal, etc. It doesn't have to be huge portions but if you get your body used to daily fruit/veggies it soon becomes the go too snack more than the junk.

I cut out dried fruit, it is worse than candy. Fifty percent carbs. Just a few a day and I was gaining weight. Fresh is better.

Load up on veggies. They are the best!

I cut out dried fruit, it is worse than candy. Fifty percent carbs. Just a few a day and I was gaining weight. Fresh is better.

Load up on veggies. They are the best!

I eat two dried figs at most per day -no added sugar -great for the digestive system. I do not eat dried fruit in any real quantities -I agree. I don't think all carbs are created equal and figs are particularly nutritious.

https://www.practo.com/healthfeed/are-dried-figs-healthy-for-weight-loss-3517/post

So yes more calories, etc but eating one or two a day might stave off other cravings and I think the health benefits are really worth it.

Archived