Is this normal?

Qwerty55

The problem with dried fruit of any kind, for me, is it's way too easy for me to eat way too much. Same with nuts.

They're all so good for you, but it's almost impossible to maintain portion control.

I have a small kitchen measuring digital scale, and when I measure out dried fruit, and approximately 30 grams (around 150 calories), it seems like nothing.

I had to slap my own hand this week at a large holiday show here in town this weekend from buying a bag of dried cherries. They're so good for you, but i know myself: half the bag would be gone in days.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem with dried fruit of any kind, for me, is it's way too easy for me to eat way too much. Same with nuts.

They're all so good for you, but it's almost impossible to maintain portion control.

I have a small kitchen measuring digital scale, and when I measure out dried fruit, and approximately 30 grams (around 150 calories), it seems like nothing.

I had to slap my own hand this week at a large holiday show here in town this weekend from buying a bag of dried cherries. They're so good for you, but i know myself: half the bag would be gone in days.

Yes. I am good at portion control and too many figs=the runs so it's easy for me to exercise portion control. However, with portion control figs for me are a kind of superfood. When I am hungry between meals I typically will have a rice cake or some fresh apple slices. Once in awhile a few nuts -but again, a few.

It's just that for me, the dried fruits/nuts "edge out" too many other calories.

I try to stick to 1200 calories a day, and I'm very diligent about logging into MyFitnessPal.

100 calories of something as small as my thumb is hard to justify, when I can eat a whole container of yogurt, or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, or a large hard-boiled egg.

If I had 2000+ calories to work with, then I'd be eating a lot more dried fruits/nuts, as I love them.

I eat two dried figs at most per day -no added sugar -great for the digestive system. I do not eat dried fruit in any real quantities -I agree. I don't think all carbs are created equal and figs are particularly nutritious.

https://www.practo.com/healthfeed/are-dried-figs-healthy-for-weight-loss-3517/post

So yes more calories, etc but eating one or two a day might stave off other cravings and I think the health benefits are really worth it.

I miss them. I loved them with a walnut.

I have found that dehydrated fruit is great as far as low calorie snack.

I have no self control. My cheat snack is air popped popcorn.

It's just that for me, the dried fruits/nuts "edge out" too many other calories.

I try to stick to 1200 calories a day, and I'm very diligent about logging into MyFitnessPal.

100 calories of something as small as my thumb is hard to justify, when I can eat a whole container of yogurt, or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, or a large hard-boiled egg.

If I had 2000+ calories to work with, then I'd be eating a lot more dried fruits/nuts, as I love them.

You are really diligent with this. Really good!!!!!

You are really diligent with this. Really good!!!!!

Well, I have to be, as my weight creeps up all the time if I'm not super careful. I, too, have no self-control, so I find that if I pre-log all my day's food, it's much easier for me to stay on track.

I recently saw a friend that I hadn't seen in several months, and she was markedly thinner. She said she's lost 40 lbs., with 40 to go. I asked her how, etc., and she said she just woke up one particular day and said, "Enough".

What's worked for her:

-She started logging all her food on MyFitnessPal

-She roasts a whole week's worth of veggies on Sunday, with an olive oil/garlic drizzle

-She bought a stovetop popcorn popper thing (that I ended up buying, taking her advice, and it's awesome!)

She also decided it's not an "all or nothing" approach. When she travels, she gives herself time off the diligence, enjoying food, wine, etc. Yes, it takes a bit longer that way, but she's not in a hurry to lose, just wants to get there.

She has a goal of losing 25 more lbs., and she'll buy her first wrap dress. She hasn't worn dresses in years.

As for me, it's always the 10-15 lbs. that I fight!

Well, I have to be, as my weight creeps up all the time if I'm not super careful. I, too, have no self-control, so I find that if I pre-log all my day's food, it's much easier for me to stay on track.

I recently saw a friend that I hadn't seen in several months, and she was markedly thinner. She said she's lost 40 lbs., with 40 to go. I asked her how, etc., and she said she just woke up one particular day and said, "Enough".

What's worked for her:

-She started logging all her food on MyFitnessPal

-She roasts a whole week's worth of veggies on Sunday, with an olive oil/garlic drizzle

-She bought a stovetop popcorn popper thing (that I ended up buying, taking her advice, and it's awesome!)

She also decided it's not an "all or nothing" approach. When she travels, she gives herself time off the diligence, enjoying food, wine, etc. Yes, it takes a bit longer that way, but she's not in a hurry to lose, just wants to get there.

She has a goal of losing 25 more lbs., and she'll buy her first wrap dress. She hasn't worn dresses in years.

As for me, it's always the 10-15 lbs. that I fight!

Me too. I am very careful with what I eat. I have my bad carb (usually a piece of bread) in the morning, and fruit. I eat a lot of veggies, daily, and animal products a couple times a week..

I also have to do my cardio six days a week. I miss the days when I could drop 5 lbs. in a a week.

I love roasted veggies. Do it once a week. Great thing about the cooler months. My regime is similar to your friend's.

I do not understand the OP's thinking when it comes to diet. I would not be surprised if she has malnutrition. Terrible diet!

I understand. I used to be about quantity too and I am not like that/don't need that anymore and don't want that. I'd rather have one M&M (which I have every day, just one and we have a jarful on the counter) then a 10 skittles for example. I calorie counted for many years and it was very bad for me psychologically. I have a very good sense of calories and do some calorie counting to maintain. For me, it's also bad to be continuously eating so having a two-bite fig that keeps me going till lunchtime or dinner is better than constantly eating (which is why I don't chew gum anymore either). My only real quantity thing is water - I drink so much I have to drink regularly throughout the day. The less I am spending time eating the better for my mindset, portion control, weight maintenance.

I love air popped popcorn but it doesn't agree with me if I eat too much and it's too easy to eat too much. All this is to say -OP - find a way to be very very in tune with when you are actually hungry, when you are full enough to last till the next meal/between meal snack, and when you are actually thirsty - focusing on that takes time and is so worth it because you likely will not like the feeling of being even a bit too full very soon (well, that is how it worked for me). When I counted calories/dieted too much, cheated too much I lost those natural abilities. Exercise helps a lot - being in tune with your body while it works and sweats, pushes to the limits at times means you will also be more in tune with what your body needs for fuel and what tastes good and what types of food work for different times of day (for example, I cannot eat dessert for dinner -I'll feel sick- but sometimes I can have more carbs in my meal than protein, sometimes the opposite depending on how hungry I am/time of day.

What also helps is to stop eating hours before bedtime except for maybe a small snack. Eating breakfast is great for metabolism and getting your body ready for breakfast is a good thing - sleep is better when you're less full IMO.

I understand. I used to be about quantity too and I am not like that/don't need that anymore and don't want that. I'd rather have one M&M (which I have every day, just one and we have a jarful on the counter) then a 10 skittles for example. I calorie counted for many years and it was very bad for me psychologically. I have a very good sense of calories and do some calorie counting to maintain. For me, it's also bad to be continuously eating so having a two-bite fig that keeps me going till lunchtime or dinner is better than constantly eating (which is why I don't chew gum anymore either). My only real quantity thing is water - I drink so much I have to drink regularly throughout the day. The less I am spending time eating the better for my mindset, portion control, weight maintenance.

I love air popped popcorn but it doesn't agree with me if I eat too much and it's too easy to eat too much. All this is to say -OP - find a way to be very very in tune with when you are actually hungry, when you are full enough to last till the next meal/between meal snack, and when you are actually thirsty - focusing on that takes time and is so worth it because you likely will not like the feeling of being even a bit too full very soon (well, that is how it worked for me). When I counted calories/dieted too much, cheated too much I lost those natural abilities. Exercise helps a lot - being in tune with your body while it works and sweats, pushes to the limits at times means you will also be more in tune with what your body needs for fuel and what tastes good and what types of food work for different times of day (for example, I cannot eat dessert for dinner -I'll feel sick- but sometimes I can have more carbs in my meal than protein, sometimes the opposite depending on how hungry I am/time of day.

What also helps is to stop eating hours before bedtime except for maybe a small snack. Eating breakfast is great for metabolism and getting your body ready for breakfast is a good thing - sleep is better when you're less full IMO.

Breakfast is very important.

It seems that the OP has left us. She did not take on any of our advice last time, so I do know if it will be accepted.

Breakfast is very important.

It seems that the OP has left us. She did not take on any of our advice last time, so I do know if it will be accepted.

Yes. I thought you gave very helpful advice as well as others. It's a complicated subject and her approach is going to lead to unhealthy eating habits/relationship with food. Been there.

Yes. I thought you gave very helpful advice as well as others. It's a complicated subject and her approach is going to lead to unhealthy eating habits/relationship with food. Been there.

Thanks. So did you! There is so little nutrition in her diet. I don't know how she came up with the idea that she can live on milk, rice, meat and sugary garbage. There is so much info on healthy eating guidelines, and she comes up with that.

Archived