Discovered New Way To Lose Weight Or Maintain Weight...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys, it is super unhealthy! The fat content and nitrates are the concern.
And the more you cook it the less fat you are taking in.

Also lots of the nitrates are broken down in the heating process.

I am not saying it is healthy obviously.

I am saying that if she likes it burnt it is a lot healthier than just lightly cooked.

For 5 years I was a consumer testing chemist. A lot of that was nutritional determination of foods.

What about sausage, is that better?

All beef hot dogs?

I guess anything with nitrates would be bad; I'm gonna have to research it, I'm unfamiliar with how bad it is.

Sausage is even worse than bacon. I don't think beef hot dogs are very good, either. There are chicken and turkey dogs. I think if you do this stuff once a week, it's okay. The problem is saturated fat every day. There are so many protein options. Why are you going got the worst?

Just wondering, do you make deliberately choose not to eat after the 2pm lunch (and snack) for wight purposes?

I feel I would be extremely hungry by 7/8pm if all I'd had was eggs and a a big salad all day.

Do you have any idea how many calories you eat in a day?

It was never deliberate. It just evolved into this. I think a lot has to do with my work schedule and commuting. I spend 90 min's driving home at night. (and in the morning)

I have maybe 2 hours before I go to bed just to get up and do it all over again. It would translate into me eating dinner just to go to sleep with a full stomach.

I drink coffee when I get to work, so I am not hungry for breakfast until 10am. . .and so it goes. I am then hungry around 2:00.

I try to stay around 1200 to 2000 calories a day. But I am not militant about it. I just happen to like the taste of healthy food. I am weird that way :)

AND because my combined day of work and commuting ends up being 11 to 12 hours, there is just not a lot of room for routine exercise.

I walk at work and I am out and about, doing physical things on weekends. Calories in, calories out.

It just works for me.

As they say, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.

Seriously, there are much worse things that you could be eating than bacon.... and fat is way to vilified. Fats are not bad for you. Processed food in general is. Eating WAY too many calories (and not burning them) is also bad for you, regardless of what you are eating. Consume 5000 Cals a day by eating potatoes (0 fat), and you will be worse off than having some bacon and sausage and having a balanced diet in general.

Get a decent balance of macros and micros. Exercise. Limit refined sugar. You will be fine.

Everyone knows bacon isn’t healthy. But neither is drinking, chocolate cake, or too much cheese.

I know you don’t abstain from everything that’s even slightly bad - no need to harp on it.

I try to eat a balanced healthy diet. Of course I go off course on occasion. Too much fat in my diet makes me sick, and so I try to eat well.

We are talking about processed meat on a daily basis. If I want to harp, I will harp!

Sausage is even worse than bacon. I don't think beef hot dogs are very good, either. There are chicken and turkey dogs. I think if you do this stuff once a week, it's okay. The problem is saturated fat every day. There are so many protein options.

Why are you going got the worst?

Not sure what you mean by the bolded :D... but my boyfriend cooks a big a b'fast (eggs, bacon or sausage or French toast, pancakes) after he stays over, and I like to eat the food he cooks!

This is why I skip dinner the night prior, so I can enjoy a big breakfast with him, and still maintain my girlish figure....lol

He likes making breakfast for us, and I like making dinner for us on his nights off. He likes what I make too! Win-win!

He works out regularly (more than I do), and is in terrific shape!

It's all in my original post.

I can go out and eat a really big breakfast and seriously not be hungry for the rest of the day.

It's an added bonus on vacations! When everyone else is obsessing where they are going to get their 3 square meals and the cost associated with it,

I'm good!

Me too! No surprise there. :D

Sometimes after eating the big breakfast, I have to force myself to eat lunch, sometimes I skip that too and go for the peanut butter and crackers or nuts and grapes around 3ish.

I take a multi too.

I don't know, I feel really good, so like I said not gonna worry about it!

Lots of things are far worse, smoking, heavy drinking, I never smoked and don't intend too, drink alcohol in moderation.

Not sure what you mean by the bolded :D... but my boyfriend cooks a big a b'fast (eggs, bacon or sausage or French toast, pancakes) after he stays over, and I like to eat the food he cooks!

This is why I skip dinner the night prior, so I can enjoy a big breakfast with him, and still maintain my girlish figure....lol

He likes making breakfast for us, and I like making dinner for us on his nights off. He likes what I make too! Win-win!

He works out regularly (more than I do), and is in terrific shape!

It's all in my original post.

I have no idea where that bolded came from. That is weird. I think it copied over from another post with a woman involved with a cheating addict.

I have no idea where that bolded came from. That is weird. I think it copied over from another post with a woman involved with a cheating addict.

I think that if you have a balanced diet, and your blood work comes out good. You are fine.I do stand by my position with the daily processed meat, though.

be careful with the supplements, it is much better to get necessary nutrients from food.

Poor bacon. What'd it ever do to us...besides tantalize our senses...

Diet is possibly the most controversial first-world problem out there. Today it's going to kill us...tomorrow it's our salvation. Yesterday it was saturated fat...today it's nitrates. Blah blah blah. Does anyone actually know what a complex organism truly requires to survive and thrive? Doubtful. There's a reason there are literally a million and one books about the ideal diet out there. Maybe our bodies are our only guides. Do I feel good when I eat dozens of eggs and pounds of butter drizzled with happy bacon fat, dipped in full fat yogurt? Yes I do. Do you? Maybe not. So do what feels good for you. Anyone who preaches anything as the gospel is pretty insecure. Bottom line...no one actually knows a thing.

Long live bacon...

I'm also a vegetable junkie, for the record....

^ I agree so much.

I grew up with the food pyramid. Remember that thing that said bread and pasta was the basis of a healthy diet?

Diet theories have changed at least a dozen times in my lifetime and I’m not yet 30

It's kind of distressing if one really stops to consider. How can any rational human navigate the nutritional rhetoric. Mystifies me. I think I've finally opted out.

Gonna eat what feels good. Welcome back to my life, bacon :D

Update:

Hey guys, tnx for all the responses!

So, I found a workable solution, and tried it out this morn, and it was delish!

I made the breakfast sausage myself, no nitrates! Instead of buying it from market. And it was even better than what they sell at the market!

Super easy I got the recipe from Food Network. Various dried spices (fennel seed, cumin, sage, cloves, marjorim) brown sugar, kosher salt, pepper, and fresh pork (80/20). Oh forgot, dash of red pepper flakes for a little heat.

Form into patties and sauté in one tablespoon olive oil (the healthy oil :D).

It was really good, BF liked it too!

Still love my bacon, but will cut back to once a week.

90_hour, I chuckled at your posts, and agree, long live bacon! :D

Only really read the OP, so may be missing important details here, but thought I would chime in anyway :)

I grew up a bit overweight due to bad habits from both parents. So... as a teen I had to teach myself new habits to carry into my adult life to help myself get to a healthy weight and stay there (hopefully for life, doing well so far)

My BMI is 19.5 at the moment but has been as low as ~16-16.5 when I was younger and not that mentally well.. (down from a BMI of ~30). I've done a lot of personal research + trial and error on myself

I should note that I never skip meals because I can't wake up if I haven't had breakfast, and I can't sleep if I haven't had dinner. I could get away with this as a teen but I can't now... if you can, then maybe it's not such a huge issue. What you're doing is basically called Intermittent Fasting - you eat most of your calories within a restricted time frame throughout the day, and then more or less fast for the rest of the day. So long as you are meeting your daily caloric requirements, it is very healthy. There have been studies done in rats that show it improves longevity, if you want to look into that further. Evolutionarily that makes sense, because we'd only have been able to hunt/gather during certain hours of the day and eat maybe one or two big meals a day.

But also not harmful if you graze. I graze most days between breakfast and dinner, so those are the only two main meals I have.

Breakfasts I eat are mostly protein and veggies, most people turn their nose up at that but if they're prepared well it's delicious and sets your blood glucose levels straight for the rest of the day. I feel SO much better since I started doing this (rather than pure carbs for breakfast, which make me feel sluggish even if they are low GI)

Unlike you though, I am lazy with cooking etc, so I just do stuff that takes maybe 5-10 mins to prepare and can be put in the oven without much poking/prodding. Big tray of veggies with olive oil and herbs. Lots of green smoothies (with or without protein powder) made in a personal blender also. Shove the fruit/kale/mint/lemon/coconut water in, blend, rinse.. done. I've read that having a routine diet is actually better for keeping off weight, because the more adventurous you get, the more likely you are to overeat or be unable to adequately judge the calorie content of your food before you've over-consumed (or under-consumed and then get hungry again)

I'm really convinced though, in the 10 years that I've focused heavily on this stuff... The best diet is the one which works for you and which you stick to. Know thyself

I don't think any of this is really all that helpful. I just love this topic :peaceful:

My diet is not always that great, if I'm really stressed and busy sometimes it's pizza/Thai for dinner for a few weeks and sandwiches/smoothies the rest of the time. Takes a constant effort and redirection of focus to get back good eating patterns, but it's habit now so the switch is easy. I know a lot of people who have slipped into their stressed patterns of eatings and just never bounced back...

Update:

Hey guys, tnx for all the responses!

So, I found a workable solution, and tried it out this morn, and it was delish!

I made the breakfast sausage myself, no nitrates! Instead of buying it from market. And it was even better than what they sell at the market!

Super easy I got the recipe from Food Network. Various dried spices (fennel seed, cumin, sage, cloves, marjorim) brown sugar, kosher salt, pepper, and fresh pork (80/20). Oh forgot, dash of red pepper flakes for a little heat.

Form into patties and sauté in one tablespoon olive oil (the healthy oil :D).

It was really good, BF liked it too!

Still love my bacon, but will cut back to once a week.

90_hour, I chuckled at your posts, and agree, long live bacon! :D

Good for you! For the record, I am not a bacon hater. I love it!

Other than the 2 slices of bacon, there is no other fat in my diet.

I don't even put butter on my toast, just jam.

I broil my fish or chic for lunch, and a salad with vinegar and lemon, so don't agree it's fat heavy, but appreciate your thoughts!

Jam is high in sugar and I'd be replacing toast as well. Ur breakfast should be more nutritionally dense.

Jam is high in sugar and I'd be replacing toast as well. Ur breakfast should be more nutritionally dense.

Thanks but I'm not gonna worry about it. I don't eat a lot of sweets and the amount of sugar in one tablespoon of all-fruit jam is less than in a glass of 1% milk for heaven's sake.

I can't live my life like that, I refuse. Watching every calorie, every gram of fat; hell I am 5'6" and 115-120 pounds, I do yoga and exercise daily and am healthy.. If I want to indulge on "jam," or the occasional slice of cake or pizza, or have toast in the morn with my coffee, or even bacon once in a while, again not gonna worry about it.

I'm neurotic enough about other * in my life, lol, without stressing about having jam on my toast!

This thread was about how I lost some weight by skipping dinner; somehow it veered off into a critique of my general diet! Par for the couse I suppose.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who contributed, appreciate the input! :D

Archived