Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Thoughts, Rants, and Musings

Jibralta

40 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

He has become a very annoying person.

Oh. My. God. 

Agreed!!!

And those rings all stacked up “oh so quirkily” on his tattooed fingers. ‘Johnny Depp Hands Out Sweets In Court’, ‘Depp - Real Life WILLY WONKA’, ‘Every Moment Johnny Depp Laughed In Court’.

🤣 Whatever happened, innocent, not, half, quarter - it’s like the man can do no wrong now. And he’s the sexiest guy ever. Those videos are all over the place too. Okay damn he was sultry even not too long ago but C’MON! He’s nearly 60 and should know better! And handing out sweets and laughing in court is disrespectful! In my opinion! But I did kinda smile to myself when I clicked onto the please take the stand Mr Depp moment where he had to go through the whole… she s**t in my bed thing… and his actors slow drawl saying… “human faecal matter“!

Bread and circus media moment maybe 🤪

Totally annoying! I agree!

(And, just to also add too his, oh so humble act - on one of these Depp hottest thing on earth to exist videos, Oprah was saying about him being voted this and doing all the hot cover shoots and he was all fumbling and embarrassed and saying I don’t equate that with myself at all and… it’s absurd. I am guessing when your agent called up and said, will you shoot next week for the cover of so and so for you getting hottest male lead he said, what? Me?! No way! Blush blush! And shuffled back to his job in accounting.  

Reality is, he’s like a duck to water in front of that camera and gives it so much blue steel it would put Derek Zoolander to shame. 

What a total muffin. Honestly. He’s good looking, he’ll know he’s good looking. You’re a movie star. You wanted this. You got it! Just stop it Johnny, behave yourself 🤣 Embarrassed my ASS!)

x

• Haha 1

Oh no^ I don't want to watch that!! I've managed to watch NOT ONE Johnny Depp-Amber Heard video to date--nor will I! I just want his crappy stupid circus to go away and stop demanding attention!!

1 hour ago, mylolita said:

Okay damn he was sultry even not too long ago but C’MON! He’s nearly 60 and should know better!

I used to think he was gorgeous, but he's become very creepy over the years. I can't pinpoint exactly why I feel that way... I saw an old video of him on Graham Norton. He told a story about pretending to be a statue of Jack Sparrow at Disneyland, and how people were completely unphased when he started moving and talking. It was actually a funny story, but I felt a distracting feeling of repugnance for him at the same time. It's been like this for me for several years now.... This divorce debacle is not making things better.

Reality is, he’s like a duck to water in front of that camera and gives it so much blue steel it would put Derek Zoolander to shame. 

Too funny 😂

He’s good looking, he’ll know he’s good looking.

I don't find him good-looking anymore! He just creeps me out, now. He also has that puffy, faintly lined look of a person who drinks too much. I don't have anything against drinking--it's fun! But there's a level of indulgence that leaves a mark, and he's at that point!

1 hour ago, Jibralta said:

I didn't even mean to post about Johnny Depp! I came here to post about something completely different and instead capitulated to his incessant demands for attention! LOL ironic. Arggh.

Sorry Jib, my fault - you total celebrity gossip mill you 🤣🤣🤣

x

1 minute ago, mylolita said:

Sorry Jib, my fault - you total celebrity gossip mill you 🤣🤣🤣

x

But Jib I would recommend it is quite funny 🤡 

And yes, even he, with his, amazing straight brows, cheekbones to the Gods, artistic pouty lips and general quiet vampire sexual appeal doesn’t look so great with more weight and drug and drink use.

It comes too all us mortals I guess 🤣🥓🥓🥓

x

1 minute ago, mylolita said:

But Jib I would recommend it is quite funny 🤡 

And yes, even he, with his, amazing straight brows, cheekbones to the Gods, artistic pouty lips and general quiet vampire sexual appeal doesn’t look so great with more weight and drug and drink use.

It comes too all us mortals I guess 🤣🥓🥓🥓

x

He is actually, mind blowingly good looking… but I guess that’s why he’s a star. Some of these movie stars, you just can’t imagine them like, working in your office. It’s almost impossible that they wouldn’t be famous. Imagine Johnny Depp serving you as a waiter. Forever. I just can’t see it. Unless it was in a film! Ha!

Sorry Jib LOL!

I am… lips are SEALED!

x

I watched the new Dune for the second time this weekend. It's very rare for me to watch a new movie twice in such a short period of time. But I'm pretty happy with the way that this movie came out, especially with it being Dune and all. I'm a huge fan.

I've read the book Dune about a million times. I've read Dune Messiah about half as much. I finally successfully struggled through Children of Dune when I was in my late 30s/ early 40s. I'd tried reading the book a few times in my 20s, but I could never quite make it through. It was so hard to tell where it was going... After I finally finished Children of Dune, I went on to read God Emperor of Dune and Heretics of Dune. But I stopped before starting Chapterhouse: Dune--I was too mentally exhausted. Those books are heavy.

I'm pretty sure that the first time I ever heard of Dune I was 12 and in sixth grade. That was about 1989. One of the teachers brought the movie in for all the classes to watch. It was the version with the storyboard illustrations and the male narrator. There is another version where Princess Irulan introduces the story and does narration. Both versions are essentially the same, just different edits. I think I'm partial to the storyboard version, but to be honest, I love them both.

I'm sorry to say that I absolutely hated the Dune miniseries that the SciFi Channel produced back in 2000. I turned it off 30 minutes into the first movie, when it deviated from the book to an unacceptable degree. It was pointless to continue. 

I hate when filmmakers butcher the book that a movie is based on. The same thing happened with The Golden Compass. The filmmakers completely altered the story to remove the controversial elements and were left with a beautiful, absolutely pointless, big-budget movie--another movie that I never got to watch because I turned it off within 30 minutes. I don't mind some changes, but when they alter the whole plot and theme of the story, forget it.

The new Dune is good. Makes me want to read the book again. It's being released in two parts. The second one is due to be released in October 2023. I hope they don't screw it up!

On 4/30/2022 at 5:46 AM, Jibralta said:

Johnny Depp must have some really powerful divorce lawyers and public relations people. Every single time I access Youtube, there's a video front and center about his stupid trial with Amber Heard. It doesn't matter if I'm logged in as me, if I'm using my boyfriend's youtube account, if I'm accessing through work (I don't use their computer for personal purposes), or if I'm on an incognito browser. It's as bad as network news. Someone take away his giant megaphone. Jesus.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Ugh. What a mess those two lives were. I’m not interested in listening to their drama. And the smirks and jokes from Depp show his sense of entitlement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/3/2022 at 6:29 PM, Jibralta said:

I watched the new Dune for the second time this weekend. It's very rare for me to watch a new movie twice in such a short period of time. But I'm pretty happy with the way that this movie came out, especially with it being Dune and all. I'm a huge fan.

I've read the book Dune about a million times. I've read Dune Messiah about half as much. I finally successfully struggled through Children of Dune when I was in my late 30s/ early 40s. I'd tried reading the book a few times in my 20s, but I could never quite make it through. It was so hard to tell where it was going... After I finally finished Children of Dune, I went on to read God Emperor of Dune and Heretics of Dune. But I stopped before starting Chapterhouse: Dune--I was too mentally exhausted. Those books are heavy.

I'm pretty sure that the first time I ever heard of Dune I was 12 and in sixth grade. That was about 1989. One of the teachers brought the movie in for all the classes to watch. It was the version with the storyboard illustrations and the male narrator. There is another version where Princess Irulan introduces the story and does narration. Both versions are essentially the same, just different edits. I think I'm partial to the storyboard version, but to be honest, I love them both.

I'm sorry to say that I absolutely hated the Dune miniseries that the SciFi Channel produced back in 2000. I turned it off 30 minutes into the first movie, when it deviated from the book to an unacceptable degree. It was pointless to continue. 

I hate when filmmakers butcher the book that a movie is based on. The same thing happened with The Golden Compass. The filmmakers completely altered the story to remove the controversial elements and were left with a beautiful, absolutely pointless, big-budget movie--another movie that I never got to watch because I turned it off within 30 minutes. I don't mind some changes, but when they alter the whole plot and theme of the story, forget it.

The new Dune is good. Makes me want to read the book again. It's being released in two parts. The second one is due to be released in October 2023. I hope they don't screw it up!

The original Dune movie from 89 is the first movie I ever owned in DVD. It was a good movie. I tend to hate  remakes so I probably won’t see the new one . 

3 hours ago, Seraphim said:

The original Dune movie from 89 is the first movie I ever owned in DVD. It was a good movie. I tend to hate  remakes so I probably won’t see the new one . 

I think it was from 84, actually (89 was when I saw it).

I don't know if I have an opinion about remakes in general, but I don't have any aversion to this one. I love the 1984 movie and I think it does a good job recreating important elements of the story. But the book blows it out of the water in terms of plot and content. I don't know if any movie can properly capture the essence of this book.

This 2021 version has done a comparably good job representing the book--thus far. In some cases, it takes new and interesting approaches, in other cases, it uses the same strategy as the David Lynch movie. It's interesting to see where this movie makes its nods to the old movie, and I found myself wondering if future remakes would continue the tradition.

33 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

I think it was from 84, actually (89 was when I saw it).

I don't know if I have an opinion about remakes in general, but I don't have any aversion to this one. I love the 1984 movie and I think it does a good job recreating important elements of the story. But the book blows it out of the water in terms of plot and content. I don't know if any movie can properly capture the essence of this book.

This 2021 version has done a comparably good job representing the book--thus far. In some cases, it takes new and interesting approaches, in other cases, it uses the same strategy as the David Lynch movie. It's interesting to see where this movie makes its nods to the old movie, and I found myself wondering if future remakes would continue the tradition.

Yeah I couldn’t remember the exact year of the movie. I know I saw it at the theatre and I remember buying it as a DVD a few decades ago and still have it. Consequently my son asked me what the true reaction was decades ago to everyone finding out Darth was Luke’s father. 

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Consequently my son asked me what the true reaction was decades ago to everyone finding out Darth was Luke’s father.

I think everyone took it in stride. Like, it was cool but not earth-shattering. I feel like there would have been A LOT more hype if it happened nowadays. 

I distinctly remember watching Empire Strikes Back when I was very little. It must have been playing on cable. I fell in love with Darth Vader and ran around emulating his breathing for god knows how long. I eventually ended up being him for Halloween.

1 minute ago, Jibralta said:

I think everyone took it in stride. Like, it was cool but not earth-shattering. I feel like there would have been A LOT more hype if it happened nowadays. 

I distinctly remember watching Empire Strikes Back when I was very little. It must have been playing on cable. I fell in love with Darth Vader and ran around emulating his breathing for god knows how long. I eventually ended up being him for Halloween.

I remember it being shocking . I was interviewed by a radio station in Vancouver,  BC while waiting in line to see it when it was released. Both of the movies had people in awe in real time . 

Yesterday, I saw that I'd just missed a call from my friend Cathy. When I called her back she was sobbing. She said, "I'm sorry to call you like this, but Mom died. And I'm drunk."

After my initial shock and sadness and condolences, I said, "Don't worry, I'm drunk too," and she burst into laughter. Then she started crying again. 

It happened four days ago, the result of a massive heart attack. Her mom hadn't felt good for a couple of days--everyone thought it was indigestion. By the time they realized and got her to the hospital, it was too late. Her blood pressure just kept dropping. 

Cathy and her mom had a nice relationship, but it was not typical. Cathy was raised by her great grandmother, an aloof but caring French Canadian lady that Cathy called "Ma Mè". Ma Mè never called me by my name; she only called me "Girl." I'm not sure if she liked me. I thought she was adorable. Cathy was devoted to her and she was devoted to Cathy.

I remember one time, I visited Cathy and Ma Mè while they were having a garage sale. I was about 20 or so. Ma Mè turned to me and said with her cute accent, "I had seven children, so many grandchildren, great grandchildren," She put her arm around Cathy. "Of all those children, she is my daughter," she said. Cathy looked at me with significance, You understand? For some reason, that almost made me cry.

Cathy moved out of Ma Mè's house when she was 16 or 17 to live with her boyfriend, Evan. They've been together now for 27 years. In 2010, they leased a house across the street from my mom with their two young sons. They'd recently and unexpectedly lost their own house as a result of fraud--long story, wasn't their fault. Cathy took the lease in our neighborhood because it held positive memories for her. I think that helped them to feel safe after such a terrible upheaval.

Not long after they moved in, Cathy's mom, Jeanette, suddenly appeared in her life. Moved back to Jersey. That's when I met her for the first time. She'd been a hard livin' lady, and time was catching up to her. She needed support physically and mentally. Cathy ended up moving Jeanette in with them. When the family moved into a new house a couple of years later, Jeanette went with them. That was probably 10 years ago.

I struck up a friendship with Jeanette. She became semi-convinced that I was magical after I brought my tarot cards over there a couple of times. I eventually stopped bringing them because I didn't want to read them anymore. I said I lost them. I don't know if she believed me, but she let me go on it lol. 

After Jeanette died, Cathy received a couple of her Amazon packages. One of them was a set of tarot cards and that's what made her call me. I made Cathy laugh with a story of my dad's memorial service. He wanted a B-17 bomber to dispense his ashes over the ocean. He got a Cessna. And my step mother in her Long Island accent, "They're gonna shoot your fatha out of the plane..."

Cathy said, "I know we don't talk much, but you are one of my best friends in life." I said, "I know, don't worry." She said, "You let me drive your car!!!" (I let her drive my car when she was 16 and I was 17). She continued, "And I picked you up from the police station at midnight when you were arrested!!!" I said, "You were drunk!! And I thought you were mad at me for waking you up!" She said, "I was afraid we'd both get arrested!!!" We were cracking up at this point. But she was also still crying.

I let her go soon after that. Evan was with her. They were going to play chess. 

• Sad 1
On 3/28/2022 at 5:17 AM, Jibralta said:

I haven't quite escaped from the organizational snare, and have gone back to peruse this website and listen to a podcast or two since I posted this. This lady is really smart and a great salesman. I know better than to buy her products though (sorry, lady). I'm sure they work for her and for others, but I know myself. I would just stare at these tools while they cluttered my apartment even more!

I keep listening to these podcasts and have started implementing some of the recommendations that Lisa makes. All of the rules are simple and they make sense. The real trick to it is not letting yourself off the hook. Not deviating from the plan, not questioning your calendar schedule.

I'm weirdly averse to that. I don't know why. Maybe the idea of being so regimented feels stifling to me. But if I consistently rebel against being regimented, isn't it the same as being regimented? 

• Haha 1

Ohhhhhh !!!!

I'm going to sound nuts, but that looks like the kind of duck that is next on my list of desired animals for our backyard farm!!!!  

A peking duck I think?  We just want one female and plan to sell the eggs since people in this area love buying duck eggs (seems odd to me, but then I've never tried one).

❤️ 

I had no idea we'd be able to take her on adventures LOL ❤️ 

Yes, I think it's a peking duck. But these two ducks were raised as house pets, which is why they behave that way. They are very cute, but apparently they can't be house trained. They poop anywhere and everywhere. They also constantly preen, shedding feathers and large granules of dead skin anywhere they stand.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jibralta said:

Yes, I think it's a peking duck. But these two ducks were raised as house pets, which is why they behave that way. They are very cute, but apparently they can't be house trained. They poop anywhere and everywhere. They also constantly preen, shedding feathers and large granules of dead skin anywhere they stand.

We love ducks!!!

image.png.2dbb166d9f08163829fa7e124925f484.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jibralta said:

They are very cute, but apparently they can't be house trained. They poop anywhere and everywhere.

Right I get it.  Apparently chickens are the same way.

Our 3 hens keep trying to find ways to get into the house or storage room we have here.  And the poop everywhere so the house is definitely a no-go LOL

Their antics are hilarious though... I imagine ducks are probably more calm and cute in personality.  Chickens are a little nuts - dramatic and funny though 🙂 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, maritalbliss86 said:

Our 3 hens keep trying to find ways to get into the house or storage room we have here.

Ha! When I used to work at the horse farm, I'd always catch a couple geese casually strolling into the stable from the manure pile. Always strikes me as so funny when they do that 😄