Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Thoughts, Rants, and Musings

Jibralta

4 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Yes -I hate when people are tone deaf or believe in one-size-fits all especially with young kids learning new stuff "ok hustle hustle!" at a kids soccer game - treat people individually and less is more.  I would have been frustrated too!

I love that you learned lasso and I love reading about the skills you have I never will (I took a few English riding lessons many years ago at Club Med Mexico!)

Tone deaf--that's the word!

At the time I went to that dude ranch I had mainly rode Western, but was making my first forays into English. It wasn't long after the dude ranch that I switched completely over to English. That choice had nothing to do with my dude ranch experience--that was largely awesome. I just prefer English.

• 2 weeks later...

On my last day at my last job, I was working hard to hand off two projects that I was still in the middle of. Both were for church kitchen renovations--two different churches. I sent an email to both client teams explaining that I was leaving and giving them contact info for Megan, the person who was taking over the projects. Megan was already being dovetailed into the projects and was copied into all of the correspondence.

I finished buttoning up the projects right as my day drew to a close, and for the last 45 minutes or so had nothing to do. I'd packed up my desk weeks before, when I'd made the decision to leave. So I literally just sat there, waiting for my day to time out. My coworkers urged me to leave, but it didn't feel right to sneak out.

About five minutes before the end of my day, I was chatting away with my coworkers, debating the pros and cons of ducking out early, when one of the church clients responded to my good-bye email with, "Godspeed, Jibralta."

I saw the message come in as I was midsentence. Before I could fully react, Megan, who was the only other person there who was copied in on the email, spun around in her chair and interrupted the conversation with "GODSPEED, JIBRALTA!" causing both me and her to crack up and everyone else to be confused. 

Right as Megan and I started to explain what had happened, my phone rang. My coworker Oliver said, "It's God!" I looked at the caller ID and saw it was Nadine, the owner, and gave a Homer-Simpson-scream. "It's Nadine!" I said. "That's worse!" said Pei. There was an explosion of laughter as I picked up the receiver. I imagine Nadine would have heard it in her office even if I hadn't picked up the phone.

Nadine asked me to come down to her and Sally's office. They handed me a card and talked to me about where I was going next. They said that I was always welcome there, which was nice (though I don't plan on going back lol). Then I said my goodbyes to my coworkers and I was off!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Batya33 said:

Congrats on your last day!  Are you taking some time off?

Thanks! That was actually a little over a month ago (I probably should have noted that in there)! I did take a couple days off before starting my current job.

So far, I like it here. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

Thanks! That was actually a little over a month ago (I probably should have noted that in there)! I did take a couple days off before starting my current job.

So far, I like it here. 

Oh I'm sorry I didn't follow! I'm glad to hear it.

• Like 1

I started watching The Other Boleyn Girl. It's pretty disappointing. They've twisted timelines and facts in order to re-package and re-sell the typical, tired story of two sisters clawing each other's eyes out over a man, complete with all the usual good-girl bad-girl trappings.

I guess I hoped it would be an interesting and insightful contemplation of each of these two sisters--depicted as normal human beings--and the parts they actually played in history. But no. It's the same old sordid played-out drama.

Anyway, it's hard to watch. 

• 4 weeks later...

^I never finished that movie. Forgot all about it, actually. That's good 🙂

I've just watched a documentary on Max about Hillsong Church. It was really interesting. At this point, the story is not as sordid a tale as NXIVM, but seems like it could easily sink to that level if they maintain their current leadership model. The ingredients are all there.

I find it interesting because where I live in the US, we have always been sheltered from religion, evangelism in particular. Until very recently, you didn't hit bible stations on TV or the radio until you were 200 or 300+ miles south, west, or north of here. In certain of those areas, they were (probably still are) the only thing on the radio.

On long drives through religious lands, we do sometimes listen a little bit to the religious broadcast, just to get a flavor of what's being said. But generally, the tapes and CDs go in and don't come back out until we are back within our normal operating radius. (More recently, it is MP3s, XM, Spotify, and/or Pandora that carry us through).

Anyway, back to what I find interesting: In the last five to ten years or so, one or two bible stations has made it onto our local mainstream airwaves. Their music sounds a lot like the other music that is on the radio, and it is often better. I was very surprised the first time I realized I was listening to a religious broadcast. I turned it off immediately. I'll be whatever you want, just do and think whatever I say.... No thanks. The music isn't that good.

From this documentary I learned that it has been Hillsong-esque music that I've been hearing on the airwaves. This catchy, chameleonlike music has been a huge part of the church's appeal. Not surprising. 

Probably the most valuable takeaway for me is that the 'fallen' leaders of these types of organizations don't lose their following. There is always a sympathetic ear for them. So, I don't think this problem will ever go away. People just have to get smart and stay smart. 

^By far the best version, in my opinion. 

Certainly not a Hillsong production, in any case. 

19 hours ago, Jibralta said:

It was really interesting.

It wasn't really interesting, actually. I don't know why I said it was. The story is actually quite boring. For some reason, I am in the middle of watching another documentary about Hillsong, this one even more boring than the last one. I must enjoy boredom. 

Email has become so fcking insurmountable. I can't delete the garbage emails fast enough. Keeping up with it is like doing a job that I'm not getting paid for. I barely even look at it anymore and I know that is bad because not all of it is junk. But there is so much more junk and spam than there used to be....

• Sad 1

When we got back from our walk a little while ago, a car on our street was stopped in the middle of the road, honking their horn like crazy. It was 7:35 AM. I walked down the street to confront them. My boyfriend tried to dissuade me, but I couldn't help myself. The driver acted like I wasn't there and continued beeping. I got to the car just after the person they were waiting for came out of the house and got in the passenger side. The car pulled away past me and I walked back to my house.

I regret doing that now.

Ugh. 

😑

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Jibralta said:

Email has become so fcking insurmountable. I can't delete the garbage emails fast enough. Keeping up with it is like doing a job that I'm not getting paid for. I barely even look at it anymore and I know that is bad because not all of it is junk. But there is so much more junk and spam than there used to be....

I understand, I have the same problem with my gmail account. You can do a mass delete when it comes to promotions, socials and junk folders but not on the primary section. The primary section always has emails you need to keep and there is no option to delete based on title, sender etc. 

It's very frustrating I know. There is a relatively easy way to mass delete selectively using code. I've been thinking about building a small app to do it. I am sure there are plenty of apps on the web (probably with no free version) as the code is available on the internet and you just need to put the pieces together. 

I might do it at some point. When I do I will send you the code to run 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.1b869b0a0c7ba390881acd5e06ec994e.png

Sixteen years have passed since I started graduate school and embarked upon my career change.

Wow.

It doesn't seem so long.

That was a great time in my life (despite the stress) and it has paid off with dividends in terms of friendships and career. I carry many really awesome memories from that time. 

One of these memories has to do with a cleaning lady that worked in the school. A very friendly, gregarious kind of person. I didn't know her very well; we just exchanged greetings when we passed each other in the hall. That kind of thing.

One summer, I was at school preparing for a semester abroad. She knocked on the studio door and asked if anyone had string. None of us had any string in our studio, but I was able to walk through to the neighboring studio and grab her a couple of yards from there. 

But that was literally the extent of our relationship: Hello in the hallway and here's some string. 

Fast forward to May of the following year. 2010. I was having a helluva time. It was my final semester in the architecture program. I was working on my final project, due imminently.

My dad had died in February--Valentine's Day, to be exact. My godmother had died weeks before that. I pushed through; I wasn't going to quit. That's not me.

But now--lo and behold--cherry on top--my boyfriend was pretty much dumping me. But he wasn't coming out and saying it. He wasn't saying anything. It was just drrrrrraaaaagggging onnnnnn, dying the slowest and most painful of deaths right in the middle of my finals. It was like being dragged into hell.

This was a cold day, a cold spring. I felt gloomy and hopeless. I tried to cheer myself up by noting the flowers that triumphantly struggled and bloomed through the frigid soil as I made my way from the campus restaurant back to my studio.

But, wouldn't you know, the gray sky opened up and rain started falling on me. 

Figures, right?

I had no umbrella; I just dealt with it.

But then:

The cleaning lady strode forth from an alcove in a neighboring building. She said, "You look so gloomy! Cheer up!" And she opened her umbrella on both of us and walked me into my building.

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Jibralta said:

image.thumb.png.1b869b0a0c7ba390881acd5e06ec994e.png

Sixteen years have passed since I started graduate school and embarked upon my career change.

Wow.

It doesn't seem so long.

That was a great time in my life (despite the stress) and it has paid off with dividends in terms of friendships and career. I carry many really awesome memories from that time. 

One of these memories has to do with a cleaning lady that worked in the school. A very friendly, gregarious kind of person. I didn't know her very well; we just exchanged greetings when we passed each other in the hall. That kind of thing.

One summer, I was at school preparing for a semester abroad. She knocked on the studio door and asked if anyone had string. None of us had any string in our studio, but I was able to walk through to the neighboring studio and grab her a couple of yards from there. 

But that was literally the extent of our relationship: Hello in the hallway and here's some string. 

Fast forward to May of the following year. 2010. I was having a helluva time. It was my final semester in the architecture program. I was working on my final project, due imminently.

My dad had died in February--Valentine's Day, to be exact. My godmother had died weeks before that. I pushed through; I wasn't going to quit. That's not me.

But now--lo and behold--cherry on top--my boyfriend was pretty much dumping me. But he wasn't coming out and saying it. He wasn't saying anything. It was just drrrrrraaaaagggging onnnnnn, dying the slowest and most painful of deaths right in the middle of my finals. It was like being dragged into hell.

This was a cold day, a cold spring. I felt gloomy and hopeless. I tried to cheer myself up by noting the flowers that triumphantly struggled and bloomed through the frigid soil as I made my way from the campus restaurant back to my studio.

But, wouldn't you know, the gray sky opened up and rain started falling on me. 

Figures, right?

I had no umbrella; I just dealt with it.

But then:

The cleaning lady strode forth from an alcove in a neighboring building. She said, "You look so gloomy! Cheer up!" And she opened her umbrella on both of us and walked me into my building.

🙂

I just love this story.  I am sorry you went through all of that and I wanted to comment -you getting the string -that was totally you going the extra mile -beyond what most would do.  I've done that sort of thing if I possibly can.  Over the summer I volunteered at a nonprofit event and an elderly lady asked if I could carry a chair outside to the lawn for a standing room only -or sit on the ground -musical peformance.  I wasn't there for that task at all (I was supposed to check donors into the VIP lounge) - but I said "sure"! and ended up lugging one of those regular heavy chairs out to the lawn.  You also -you show up - you see how you can help.  That spreads so very much good karma and people take notice.

I started grad school on my 25th birthday! We were told by the dean we might meet our spouse in grad school (no I didn't but I did because of my chosen field).  So that day one of my classmates as she told me later - went to sit down and fell on her behind as she missed the chair.  A male classmate laughed but also helped her.  They both were in bf-gf relationships.  But she knew.  And he knew.  They got engaged 6 months later. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I manifested two free drinks at a club the other night. Then I almost got bounced out of the club for accidentally busting into the VIP area while attempting to exit the building. That part was a little stressful. So was the free drink part, actually.

A bunch of us were out that night celebrating my friend's 50th birthday. I don't usually frequent clubs--none of us do these days lol--but her birthday coincided with a freestyle show at a well-known local venue. Freestyle music seems to be nostalgic for everyone around here, no matter what walk of life, no matter what kind(s) of music people usually listen to. So we dragged our old asses out for a late night. 

I had three drinks while I was there. The first time I went to the bar to get a drink, I noticed that the bartenders were expert at avoided eye contact. They also seemed to notice men before they noticed women, so I asked Arnold to stand there with me. Sure enough, the girl ‘noticed’ him and took his order, which was actually my order. Arnold was holding cash in his hand, but the bartender swiftly brought over the credit card machine. He tapped his card rather than prolong the issue. 

When I went for my second drink, I decided to try my chances without Arnold. I brought his card, since that was how the bartender had us pay the first time. As I stood watching the bartender avoid eye contact with literally everyone waiting at the bar, a guy sidled up behind me on my left, and waived a folded $5 bill over my shoulder. My first thought was, “He’s never buying a drink for $5.” My second was, “I hope he doesn’t think he’s getting served before me.” I turned to him and made it clear that I was still waiting to be served (yo, buddy. I was here first). He was apologetic and polite. He seemed drunk but had very minty breath (probably proof he was drunk!).

Mr. Minty and I commiserated a bit over waiting, and how there’s a fine line between getting someone’s attention and being rude. He then asked me what I was drinking, and I that moment of oh no, this is awkward. I could see my friend's possessive husband looking right at us from the mezzanine and I felt annoyed. I turned to Mr. Minty and said, “I’m actually getting two drinks.” I actually was planning to get two drinks, mainly because of the awful wait. But it turned out to be an excellent way to sidestep the Let Me Buy You a Drink situation without actually turning the guy down. We could continue to stand there together without any awkwardness.

Finally, the bartender came to take Mr. Minty's order (unsurprisingly!) and he directed her to me (thank you, good sir). I ordered my two drinks. She served them up and rang up my order on the credit card machine. But she didn’t bring the machine over so that I could tap my card. Mr. Minty urged me to take my drinks and leave, but I didn’t want to create that situation. So, I continued to wait.

Suddenly, I saw that the bartender had taken the card reader to someone that was standing on the other side of Mr. Minty. I didn’t see the person, I just saw the card swipe on my $30 charge. I started to say something, but before anything could come out, the bartender typed a grey goose drink into the machine and a new charge for $39 popped up. She slid the machine towards me and I said, “I’m not paying that. It’s not my drink.” 

I don’t know if she heard me or what, but—once again—a person that was standing on the other side of Mr. Minty took care of the bill. I don’t know if it was the same person or not. All I saw was a hand with cash stick out. The bartender took the cash and I gave up trying to pay. 

The next day, I ran across this video on YouTube. That's when I realized that I'd somehow manifested those two free drinks. 😂