Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

Oh no! I hope you are doing ok. 💓

Oh it's ok - apparently a car hit a transformer and the occupants were ok! Thank you!!

Annoying: mom who posts on my mom's group with advice about dealing with "disciplining" a one year old by physical means like spanking and how polite her child is as a result. No I don't respond to posts like that.

Oh it's ok - apparently a car hit a transformer and the occupants were ok! Thank you!!

Annoying: mom who posts on my mom's group with advice about dealing with "disciplining" a one year old by physical means like spanking and how polite her child is as a result. No I don't respond to posts like that.

Who hits a baby?? And one year olds are supposed to be polite?? She’s got a few screws loose.

Oh good to hear it wasn't anything serious

Echoing Seraphim on my reaction to that mom. Really?!

There's a woman I know who is going through hard times. Her mom is getting over covid and my friend was laid off. Single mom. So every couple of weeks I message her to check in with no urgency -just "thinking of you and hope you're doing ok". This time I also wrote 'how is your mother doing?" I know I should cut slack but was annoyed that she messaged back "can't talk - on a call".I responded to clarify that I was just checking in, no urgency. Her response was that she was stressed looking for work so I wished her well. I am annoyed- not angry -at the way she responded to a simple kind gesture.

There's a woman I know who is going through hard times. Her mom is getting over covid and my friend was laid off. Single mom. So every couple of weeks I message her to check in with no urgency -just "thinking of you and hope you're doing ok". This time I also wrote 'how is your mother doing?" I know I should cut slack but was annoyed that she messaged back "can't talk - on a call".I responded to clarify that I was just checking in, no urgency. Her response was that she was stressed looking for work so I wished her well. I am annoyed- not angry -at the way she responded to a simple kind gesture.

Maybe she was really stressed, has a lot going on her mind and kept it short :)

Maybe she was really stressed, has a lot going on her mind and kept it short :)

Short is fine -using words as if I was bothering her to talk right then was not. A simple "thanks - catch you later" would have been great. Just annoyed. Not angry.

Short is fine -using words as if I was bothering her to talk right then was not. A simple "thanks - catch you later" would have been great. Just annoyed. Not angry.

I hear you Batya. Some people are not capable to respond properly to kind gestures :)

A friend who messaged me with who I "have to" vote for in the next presidential election and when I replied that I wasn't comfortable with "have to" changed it to "I'm not telling you who you have to vote for but you have to vote for a shift". I have now repeated politely my discomfort with "have to" - so we'll see. Happy to have her share her opinion (which I didn't ask for) not happy at all with "have to."

I'm trying to understand what a "ddos attack" is...

https://sucuri.net/guides/what-is-a-ddos-attack/

It sounds very cool and geeky but it is very simple actually.

You use botnets to produce fake traffic and inundate the server. For example, many government websites went down the first days of Covid around the world because millions of people accessed the same websites simultaneously causing huge traffic and bottleneck. You will notice the same thing in many major events like when we vote etc. The server can handle a certain number of requests per second. This of course depends on the quality of the server. ENA and Facebook don't have the same server (apparently). MySQL database is not the same with Oracle database.

For instance, if millions (even thousands) of users try to reply on the same thread at the same time on ENA the server will not be able to handle all the requests and the website will go down. Hackers use botnets to create fake traffic on vulnerable endpoints on a website. It will make the website extremely slow or crash most likely.

But why would someone do that on ENA? :)

A friend who messaged me with who I "have to" vote for in the next presidential election and when I replied that I wasn't comfortable with "have to" changed it to "I'm not telling you who you have to vote for but you have to vote for a shift". I have now repeated politely my discomfort with "have to" - so we'll see. Happy to have her share her opinion (which I didn't ask for) not happy at all with "have to."

This strikes a chord with me. I felt saddened when a childhood friend of mine, actually she was my best friend growing up, was texting on messenger every day some variation of " you have to do this, or else it says this about you ". I just didn't respond. She's known me practically my entire life. It sucks that she is taking this approach, and it sucks to feel like she is questioning my character because of what? I don't post anything political on my social media, and I have my social media barely filled out enough to be seen as a real account. I also haven't discussed anything with her about any of this, as is the norm for when we chat.

This strikes a chord with me. I felt saddened when a childhood friend of mine, actually she was my best friend growing up, was texting on messenger every day some variation of " you have to do this, or else it says this about you ". I just didn't respond. She's known me practically my entire life. It sucks that she is taking this approach, and it sucks to feel like she is questioning my character because of what? I don't post anything political on my social media, and I have my social media barely filled out enough to be seen as a real account. I also haven't discussed anything with her about any of this, as is the norm for when we chat.

Same exact here!! There is a great article in New York Magazine about this issue -Andrew Sullivan is the author. Really resonated with me about this type of tone and behavior.

Exception - you have to like good dark chocolate. The end. (Not sure what the "otherwise part would be -because it's basically -otherwise.... everything will go to heck)

This really bums me out. Even posting the right things often isn't enough. I know plenty of the types of people I think you are referring to (who I often share similar values and perspectives with but not necessarily their praxis) and they often engage in "you posted about X but you didn't post about Y and the fact that you didn't post about Y means you are ignorant and a part of the problem". Nah, I just don't spend all day on facebook posting about every little thing going on in the world. Not every thought, feeling or value I have is shared online and I'm not obligated to.

Just today I have counted eight one hit wonders. Yes it annoys me, lol. Gah.

We must not have told them what they wanted to hear. Which I never understand. Do what you want! You don't need a bunch of online strangers to approve your life for you! If you already know what you want to do then just do it!

We must not have told them what they wanted to hear. Which I never understand. Do what you want! You don't need a bunch of online strangers to approve your life for you! If you already know what you want to do then just do it!

Yep, agree. I don't know why it annoys me sooooo much. I think it's because I feel so bad for all the members who have spent so much of their time giving thoughtful, helpful and constructive advice - really genuinely trying to help someone, and all for nothing. Not even a common courtesy thank you. Nothing. Ugh.