Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

My boyfriend house sits his friends house every year in another state. It's cheaper to send him a round trip plane ticket then to board their dog for 2 weeks while they go to Scotland. I bought a non refundable ticket to go up there for 4 days during his stay.

This couple owns a 4k sq foot home on a hill top with a vineyard. It has it's own movie theatre and wine cellar. It's stunning! Needless to say, they have a little bit of money.

I just got word they may not go to Scotland for the same reason. Aarrgh! I'll be out the money for the plane ticket, not to mention the trip ;(

Sorry to hear that. Maybe next year? I hope I don't have to eat the cost for this trip. $5500. Yikes. That plus I've been really looking forward to this for months. I've never been outside of my homeland before. If I can recoup the money, I can just put it towards a new trip in the future. That's my hope.

I'm sorry about the Europe trip! Coronavirus is very real where I am but not prevalent in my particular city -yet. We haven't yet planned our European travel for this summer but not because of the virus. We'll see. Annoying: having to remind myself to focus on the people in my life who are reliable and not the ones who flake.

I'm sorry about the Europe trip! Coronavirus is very real where I am but not prevalent in my particular city -yet. We haven't yet planned our European travel for this summer but not because of the virus. We'll see. Annoying: having to remind myself to focus on the people in my life who are reliable and not the ones who flake.

Yeah, the store shelves are getting cleared out of staple items here. Things like hand soap, etc. Annoying. Calm down, people! Lol.

Yeah, the store shelves are getting cleared out of staple items here. Things like hand soap, etc. Annoying. Calm down, people! Lol.

Yes, here too. We're not buying that stuff right now -we're ok. I do have family members in other states who are immunocompromised so I am more concerned about them

Yes, here too. We're not buying that stuff right now -we're ok. I do have family members in other states who are immunocompromised so I am more concerned about them

Yes, that makes it more difficult for people who might need it more than others. Fear mongering. Gets good ratings. Annoying.

Interesting, here, in Western Europe, people are obsessed with antibacterial soaps at the moment, I managed to buy one during my lunch break, and now I am celebrating it with a glass of wine (yes, we can drink at work:D ).

Someone pointed out to me that antibacterial soaps work on, well, bacteria. And that the coronavirus is, well, a virus, not a bacteria.

However, hand washing is always an excellent practice that all should follow. So of course it doesn't hurt one bit to wash with the antibacterial soap.

My mom gave me an earful about the Corona Virus the other day.

She thinks that because I don't have regular TV, and hence don't watch the news, that I live in a void of information.

Her lecture was really annoying. She really hates that I don't watch the news. I find that most people her age feel that way, actually. If your peace of mind isn't disrupted by corporation-sponsored scare tactics, you aren't doing your part for humanity.

Fact is, her generation is addicted to the news and all of its crazy ups and downs.

I was like, "Mom, do you think I live in a bubble where nobody speaks about anything? I hear plenty about the Corona Virus without the news. Believe me, I couldn't avoid learning about the Corona Virus even if I wanted to. Everyone around me is in a panic and can't shut up about it because they watch the news. I've never been so happy not to watch the news."

My mom gave me an earful about the Corona Virus the other day.

She thinks that because I don't have regular TV, and hence don't watch the news, that I live in a void of information.

Her lecture was really annoying. She really hates that I don't watch the news. I find that most people her age feel that way, actually. If your peace of mind isn't disrupted by corporation-sponsored scare tactics, you aren't doing your part for humanity.

Fact is, her generation is addicted to the news and all of its crazy ups and downs.

I was like, "Mom, do you think I live in a bubble where nobody speaks about anything? I hear plenty about the Corona Virus without the news. Believe me, I couldn't avoid learning about the Corona Virus even if I wanted to. Everyone around me is in a panic and can't shut up about it because they watch the news. I've never been so happy not to watch the news."

Couldn't agree more. The corporate armada is annoying. Nothing drives up profits more than fear. And they've got themselves a hold of a real juicy tidbit at the moment and they'll milk it for everything it's worth. And people buy it. That's the part that stymies me the most. But it's like anything that's bad for you, once you're hooked on it, you just want more. It's easy to find any source of news and information out there that will gladly bolster and support any one person's particular world view. Trying to make sense out of it all as a whole is a nearly impossible task. Just the facts would be nice but there's no profit in that. It's also not entertaining enough to hold the average consumer's attention span. Highly annoying. Ok, annoying rant over, lol.

$5500 Wow. . I don't feel so bad.

Yeah. It was a big deal. Which may now be dashed. My hope is the trip either doesn't get cancelled, or I can get my money back. I read my insurance policy and it looks like my mom's medical condition may be a qualifying event. I need to call them to verify that. Of course if it gets cancelled due to a government travel ban, all the people who purchased passage are going to be up in arms with the travel company. I doubt they'll be able to just take all of our money and walk away with it.

Someone pointed out to me that antibacterial soaps work on, well, bacteria. And that the coronavirus is, well, a virus, not a bacteria.

However, hand washing is always an excellent practice that all should follow. So of course it doesn't hurt one bit to wash with the antibacterial soap.

It can because using those soaps can decrease your exposure to germs too much and weaken immunity -not a health professional, just what I heard.

Plain soap is an antibacterial. (so weird that they market antibacterial soaps)

Antiseptics skills viruses.

(Oh, the things you learn in beauty college :D)

Official as of 10 minutes ago. The friends cancelled their trip to Scotland. We however are still using our tickets to go stay with them. I can't imagine what traveling will be like 5 weeks from now. I'm not giving it much thought between now and then. So much can change.

Plain soap is an antibacterial. (so weird that they market antibacterial soaps)

Antiseptics skills viruses.

(Oh, the things you learn in beauty college :D)

Official as of 10 minutes ago. The friends cancelled their trip to Scotland. We however are still using our tickets to go stay with them. I can't imagine what traveling will be like 5 weeks from now. I'm not giving it much thought between now and then. So much can change.

That's good it's still on! Yeah, just have to sit tight and see what travel conditions/orders might be at that time. I'm looking at about the same time frame.

Not an annoyance, but an observation.

This board seems slow lately. More so on some days.

I am getting the sense that due to this some threads are over exercised to the point of being lost in translation.

The original question gets twisted into an entirely different shape and (new and old) posters are left frustrated and sometimes hurt by the comments made and not feeling heard.

It seems that some contributors are pumping an otherwise fairly innocent question into something negative in order to breath life into it and continue. And from there it goes off the rails. I suppose if the answer was simple, the thread would be short, right?

Is it due to the lack of new posts? And if it continues I can only imagine even more people will stay away due to negativity.

It's just my observation. Something to think about.

I am getting the sense that due to this some threads are over exercised to the point of being lost in translation.

The original question gets twisted into an entirely different shape and (new and old) posters are left frustrated and sometimes hurt by the comments made and not feeling heard.

It seems that some contributors are pumping an otherwise fairly innocent question into something negative in order to breath life into it and continue. And from there it goes off the rails. I suppose if the answer was simple, the thread would be short, right?

Is it due to the lack of new posts? And if it continues I can only imagine even more people will stay away due to negativity.

Yes I've had that experience lately and am concerned as well. Annoying - while feeling so grateful to be healthy, the disruptions/potential disruptions from this pandemic are annoying. And yes I feel very very fortunate but safe enough to complain on here.

I've noticed the board being slow for a while too. I'm glad there's still some regulars coming around, and chatting, otherwise I wouldn't bother. There's something comforting about no matter where you are or what's going on, there being this virtual coffeeshop with long time users to talk to.

I'm just getting back from some travelling, had a blast, but happy too to come home now. I hope everything works out for you ju/els and reinvent with your travel situations.

Jib, that's so true about a certain generation and watching the news. I haven't watched the news in ages, and I feel honestly like if I were to watch it regularly it would impact my mental health! And it's not like we are missing valuable info by not subjecting ourselves to that particular format lol. I can get the same info in two minutes and multiple sources instead of waiting half an hour for one tidbit they draw out on the news shows.

What woman, Seraphim?

It just went national that one of the returnees to the base here was found to have Covid19. They interviewed a couple who sounded very ungrateful about having to be kept in quarantine so they don’t infect the nation. She made some snide comments. Those I will have to say by PM. But just their ungrateful attitude to the nation and our base putting them up rubbed me the wrong way.

It's interesting. I was reading some old threads from 7 or 8 years ago and I notice a difference between now and then. More diversity in advice and opinions, friendlier tone, more compassion, people showing each other respect and less dogpiling. Generally just seemed like a nicer community. I'd often get people private messaging me asking me to keep them updated on whatever issue I was having or wishing me well or writing a thoughtful message relating their own experience to mine and sharing some of the lessons they learned. I don't think that culture exists here anymore, in my opinion.