Two cats or one?

SapphireNoir10

Hello just wanting some advice.

We got a kitten about a month ago and he is lovely and friendly. We have two young children and they both love him and are gentle with him and he is very patient with them. I know some people don't believe in mixing small children and animals but we are very careful and never leave him alone with them and he sleeps in the kitchen at night.

I grew up with animals and it's important to me.

In the UK it's normal to have outdoor cats. However they don't ususally go out until they have been neutered/spayed and that is around 6 months. I work part time but worry he gets lonely when he is by himself.

I've been doing a lot of reading on it and they said two kittens together are usually fine as they are play mates and grow up together so like eachother.

So I'm thinking of getting another kitten. That would be it then. No more pets! We are happy with just having cats.

I've thought through the costs and this isn't the problem.

So does anyone have any advice?

Saph, I have owned 2 cats as well as just 1. I have just 1 now. Luckily she is a very independent and solitary cat so she does fine but I've known other cats who don't do well. My ex has the other cat and that cat is very, very lonely now that my cat is gone.

My advice is to get 2 while you can, when they are young, and they will grow up together and like each other. You don't have to worry about introducing them as adults. Get them young. It really is great when they are able to have a playmate to play with. You will also find that they are more likely to be active.

My parents have three cats and none of them like eachother but they were all got a year apart. Thats the only thing that puts me off. However you may be right that as they are still kittens they will be ok.

He just seems to have so much energy and wants to play with me like a kitten so I feel he could do with a play mate.

Thanks for your help

Yeah the key is to get them young. A 1 year old cat is practically an adult and at 1 year, territory is already established. A kitten? They will just play together from the start and by the time they are adults, they will be used to each other. I really think it will be fine. Good luck!

I have two cats, they get along fine and seem to like each other most of the time. They play and rough house and snuggle together. Two cats is a good idea, they are company for each other when nobody is home. My cats are indoor cats. Outdoor cats dont live as long and run the risk of nasty fights, cuts, disease and getting run over.

I know the risks of letting them go out. They will be vaccinated and microchipped and neutered. Most neutered males don't stray too far. My parent's cats never really leave the back garden.

I believe it's important for cats to go outside and explore and get exercise. I know there are risks but I mean humans go outside and we know the risks lol. This isn't a debate on indoor or outdoor. Each to their own.

Thank you for the advice.

I have 3 adult male cats . I used to have 4 but one passed from cancer. They all got along very well. We got them all pretty much as adults. 2 of them are a pair of twin brothers we got when they were 7 months old. All my cats groom each other and have a bond.

Saph,

I think you are right, it's different in the UK. In the US, I would not recommend that anyone have an outdoor cat. Very few people have enclosed gardens and so the cats go into the street and get hit by cars. In the UK, I see a lot of people have gardens and such and the cats will wander in those and other peoples' and stay out of the street. It was actually really cool to see.

When you get a new kitty, please show us pics!

I have 2 cats. As young cats they played together great and were fun to watch, now they hiss at and fight with each other, which is annoying. They do not hang out together and I don't think they'd mind being solo cats. I also have a dog, which each of them seem to like. If I were to do it again, I might stick to one cat.

I prefer female cats and if you have kittens, I'd definitely get two...just try to pick two that get along.

Initially I had two cats, that got along great...they were quite bonded. One of them died, and my cat became incredibly distraught. I was going to get one more kitten but found a lot of evidence that a kitten might drive my older cat mad. So I got two kittens, that would burn each other out with energy...and it took awhile but they bonded to the older cat as well. They treated her as a mom and would try to drink milk from her lol.

The two kittens got along great though, you will want to put them together soon if you're going to do it.

The agency I foster through will not allow kittens to be adopted as a single. They believe kittens need to be in pairs (or more) or they become more aggressive and have behavioural issues later. I'm not sure buy into that....my parents have raised two kittens (as "only kittens", when the first one passed, they got a new kitten) and both were lovely cats...but my parents doted on them ridiculously.

As a mother...I think kittens and little girls belong together lol, but we always foster 2-4 kittens at a time so that all the kitten love is distributed among many, not just one. Probably better for the kittens.

If you're going to do it, now is the time.

So cute!

I had a male cat and I got it in my head he might be lonely, so I got female kitten.

Some cats are more solitary than others and without knowing so, he would have preferred being on his own.

He never liked the girl kitty though she had a mad crush on him for years. She would try to sneak up on him when he was sleeping to curl up and he would either box her or move away.

Fast forward, I just have the girl kitty and she absolutely hates being alone so I got another, female kitten. .

Each time I get a kitten the older cat is already around 6 or 7 which translates into cycling kittens in to keep the other cats company.

My older original girl cat is now 14 and the younger, 7 year old will not be able to tolerate being alone when she passes.

If I keep this up I will never be cat free!

Enough about me and my cats. .Yes! glad you got another one while they are still young. You won't regret it.

Archived