Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

K's Dating Journal

WithLove

While it's important to eat healthy, I still think that it's about how MUCH you eat that is most important. People, especially Americans, have portion distortion. When you learn to eat smaller portions and feel satisfied with that, it's way better in the long run.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While it's important to eat healthy, I still think that it's about how MUCH you eat that is most important. People, especially Americans, have portion distortion. When you learn to eat smaller portions and feel satisfied with that, it's way better in the long run.

That's true your portion sizes are way bigger than here . Whenever I go to a restaurant in the US I'm left with my mouth hanging open . Here you would get almost half of that and pay 30% more for it. In the US week the three of us can have lunch for like $40-45. If you try to have lunch here for three you would pay about 70 .

Yes, portions are way out of control here. The portions have gotten huge and so have Americans. I am just a statistic in that regard. I can pack away massive amounts of food. It's disgusting, really. I'm trying really hard to change that. Problem is that I don't feel content when I eat just to not feel hungry. My body (or mind) wants me to eat until I cannot eat anymore. I have to relearn how to eat to satisfy my needs without going overboard just because it's there.

I'm American and even I'm shocked by our portions here. I never finish my restaurant food, ever. I am also always shocked at how expensive everything in Canada is! Things are like 30% to 50% higher there, especially supermarket food. I can't believe how much you guys pay for produce! Here, in Cali, they practically give produce away. People don't realize that California is one of the biggest agricultural states in the country. Our food is pretty cheap here.

I can get produce for pretty cheap here because we have a great public market. I am thankful for that.

Canada though, love going on a day trip/vacation to Canada. Going in with American money is like getting a discount on everything and I know of the cheaper places to go to so I can really enjoy myself and have a nice time. And I agree Vic, the portion sizes over there aren't as big as over here. I think Americans think bigger is WAY better. Look at our cars too. It's ridiculous, I'm sorry.

Amen sister amen! The only foods I let myself go "crazy" on with big portions are: lettuce (with nothing else added except maybe lemon juice) and water. I have as much water as I want. Even there, those two do a good job filling you up.

Actually, let me revise my statement to say I think they are equally important. Half a cheeseburger is still a cheeseburger. It's not as bad, but it's still a problem as Withlove mentioned. (No judgement here though!) The body is complex so you just have 'different' levels of bad. Some foods, even in slightly smaller portions, increase risks of heart disease. On the other hand healthy foods like walnuts can increase your weight if you eat large portions of them.

My grandma eats pistachio nuts like they are going out of style. I'm talking, she gets three huge bags of them at once and will clean them out in a week or two. Then she doesn't understand how she gained, like, 30 lbs. Plus all the extra salt they always cover them with.

We are well on our way to becoming a bigger people too. But with eating out pretty expensive it has probably saved us. Yes, produce is hugely expensive because the most part where are we growing it? The fact is 90% of our country is uninhabitable and you can't grow anything on it. So we import. And with the price of gas .. You get the picture. The price of food in northern communities ATRONOMICAL . We are talking like $12 for a bag of slimey carrots. $22 for grapes ect .

It's true, you can eat a lot of good things and gain weight or stall. My weakness is fruit. I can eat a lot of fruit. LOVE FRUIT. I have to limit myself. It sucks.

I used to eat a ton of grapes at a time. Now, I have no more than 4-5 at a time.

Actually a cheeseburger isn't that horrible. I think it's just an easy association with fast food/junk food.

Ground (lean) meat and vegetables. It's the condiments you put on it.

Cheese has some fat to it and when I have a burger I take the bun or at least have the bun off.

Half a burger. . shees. . Nothin' to worry about!

Actually a cheeseburger isn't that horrible. I think it's just an easy association with fast food/junk food.

Ground (lean) meat and vegetables. It's the condiments you put on it.

Cheese has some fat to it and when I have a burger I take the bun or at least have the bun off.

Half a burger. . shees. . Nothin' to worry about!

I'm not saying she should worry but cheeseburgers from a restaurant, unless otherwise stated, aren't really lean meat. And they are high in saturated fat. And the bread, ugh ... sigh! Processed food.

It's not a big deal but I wouldn't do it regularly.

Yeah cheeseburgers when you grill your own and don't eat them with tons of fatty toppings or french fries and onion rings aren't all that bad for you.

Maybe that's wishful thinking a little because that's what I'm eating for dinner. lol But we're having roasted cauliflower with it as a side I think that makes all the difference. If I went into myfitnesspal and entered the exact recipe for what I make I'm sure it'd be way less than a Quarter Pounder from McD's...just saying.

You did the right thing though...since you didn't have a choice and the burger was ordered for you limiting the portion was the best option. It's great that you knew that and that you had the will power to do it. Well done!

You guys are making me hungry! Burgers are a weakness of mine. A burger and a glass of wine or a beer... Gawd. I just save it for treats.

You are doing so well! The main thing really is to make these healthy choices habits. Going to the gym or doing something active instead of sitting all day, having half a burger instead of all of it, sleeping well, just keep at it!!

My brother is diabetic and the only food he is allowed to eat in more than one ounce quantities is lettuce with lemon juice. Same for my late fiance. The longer he had the disease, it always progresses you can just control the rate of progression with diet and meds, the less he was 'allowed' to eat. It is a horrible disease that got him in the end and is slowly killing my brother. No bread, not meat, no salt, no fruit, no veggies, is no life at all.

I'm feeling moody and down tonight. Lonely. I watched a sad show and it hit a spot in me. My friend from up north, who was supposed to come down to visit earlier this year, had to cancel twice due to financial obligations. Totally understandable. But it bummed me out and now I don't really want him to keep trying.

I didn't go to the gym because towards the end of the day my stomach was giving me issues. I did go once when this happened and it really didn't go well. So I just went home instead. I'm mad at myself for not following through.

I guess I'm just having an off night. I have a bad attitude and having a lot of negative thoughts and feelings.

Sleep did no better. I'm just as irritable now as I was last night. I don't know what's wrong with me. Guess this is the struggle of bipolar. Had a couple pretty good days and now I have to pay the price. What a damn joke. I hate it.

I don't feel good physically, either. Probably tied into the bad mental part. Sigh.

No. I couldn't afford them right now, anyway. My insurance doesn't become effect until August 1. And I owe my doctor money so he probably won't see me anyway.

I feel like I have a toxic ball of hate churning up inside of me right now. I feel like if I open my mouth, all this filth is going spew forth.

I'd probably get referred out again to another behavioral health clinic like before. Then I'd have to go through more evaluations again, more therapies, more everything. I want to cry just thinking of it.

There's a meeting in my building's break room right now (it doubles as a conference room) and I can't get in there to get some water to take my usual meds. I hope they finish up soon.

When I first started taking meds, years ago, he put me on Zoloft. Once we decided to change it, he said he wanted to refer me out to the clinic because all of the ones he could prescribe were "about the same" as Zoloft and didn't think they'd do me any good.

So I guess it was just his way of saying he wasn't equipped to deal with my issues and wanted someone else to take over. So, I'm not sure he will do the same when it comes to this.

Archived