Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

My older son has finished his degree and will get his diploma. He doesn't want to go through the ceremony though, since he is not big on large crowds of people.

Next up- job hunting. He has been looking for a job for 6 months already, and has had several series of interviews. A few nibbles but no offers.

I suspect he may need to move in with me in August

I was looking for a job 6 months until I found one.(relevant with my degree). And I thought in the US things were better... Everywhere is the same huh? Good luck to your son!
I was looking for a job 6 months until I found one.(relevant with my degree). And I thought in the US things were better... Everywhere is the same huh? Good luck to your son!

Thanks Dias. He is new at interviewing. I asked him if he had followed up on the interviews, to thank them and to let them know he is interested still. I don't think he was doing that, but he said he will now.

He is not the best at social skills...

My friend's daughter looked for almost a year after she graduated. She did some unpaid internships and just started her dream job last month, finally. It took a year.

My son only has a bachelor's degree, so he may need to go for a graduate degree.

Great news about your sons degree Lum - you had a LOT to do with that! Enjoy your break.

Thanks Silver! He sounded so down on Sunday, but it turns out he was up all night completing his last assignment. I ha dinner with him today and he said that he got his grades and is officially graduated. Yay!

Now he started up his job hunting again.

Today was hot- 90 degrees. Tomorrow is supposed to be 100!

My tomato plants are very happy with the heat, and are growing quite nicely. Lots of yellow flowers on there, but no tomatoes quite yet.

I drove my son back to his apartment at 10:30 this evening, and it was still 79 degrees out then.

I think I will hook up the air conditioner tomorrow.

As far as a break- so nice to just sleep in today with no alarm. But, I am taking a series of online classes all summer and so I have a,lot of reading and writing to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I am taking another online course this summer, so I have been immersed in reading and studying.

Tomorrow I will walk with a coworker by the river.

Younger son is off on a backpacking trip with his scout troop.

Older son has a phone interview tomorrow for a job in Georgia.

My parents' house has sold, and the new owners take possession in August.

Thanks, Sera. Poor guy, he is 99 years old and so frail. I guess it was his shoulder that he broke.

My brother had been taking him to the doctor, so he has been visiting them a lot.

My mom loved the pictures I sent, but my dad was too exhausted after his doctor appointment so he went back to bed.

My friend J came to visit from out of town with a friend who is an expat teaching English in another country. They went to the Rainbow Gathering then stayed with me for 3 nights. I am seriously surprised that they didn't get sick at the Rainbow Gathering. They did appreciate the use of my shower and laundry facilities, though.

We all drove down to the Oregon Country Fair on Friday, which was fun and zany. Great music, good shows, nice acrobatics, zany costumes, etc. I saw an outstanding Afro-Cuban dance performance, among other things.

It was interesting to meet J's friend, K. He is like a brother to her, and she has known him for many years. I had always heard about him, but our paths never crossed.

He is a very kind, intelligent, sensitive, creative, and engaging guy. It was intriguing to get to know him. I wasn't physically attracted to him, but certainly attracted to his mind, his sense of wonder at life, and his kindness. But. I do know that he is also a lost soul, a bit all over the place, and a hot mess at times. I exercised restraint. As the visit unfolded I am glad I did.

He may be moving to my city in the next year. I think I would enjoy being friends with him. With boundaries. I suspect he is very needy at times.

One of my coworkers lost her daughter today. She lost her battle with cancer.

My younger son had 7th and 8th grade math with her, and their math group was pretty close. He and I will go to the memorial service together. So sad!

She was a sweet, sweet soul. Last I saw her was in February, just before her cancer diagnosis- she was volunteering at a kitchen that was preparing food for the homeless. I ran into her, and she was waiting for her ride home, but I stayed and talked with her because some random guy was hitting on her and I wanted her to be safe.

What a loss! She just graduated from high school. This will be my 2nd memorial service to attend this summer.

Will go to a third one in August - a former coworker who was going through cancer treatments at the same place as my friend's daughter, so they hung out together.