Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Just got back from the memorial service. It was at a Buddhist Temple. It went for a few hours, with lots of chanting, bells, bowing, and meditation. So amazing.

My younger son went with me, and he reconnected with some school friends. I saw many of my coworkers, some former students, and some former coworkers.

The temple was so beautiful, and peaceful.

There were so many stories about what a sweet and gentle and loving soul she was. And it was so true.

Even health care workers drove in from out of town to come to her memorial, because they had cared for her at the medical school in Portland. That was amazing.

So heart wrenching that we lost such a beautiful soul so young.

OMG, I came down with a stomach virus last night! So painful and uncomfortable all night long! I could not sleep, and lying down was painful. So I paced around all night, in between visits to the bathroom.

I finally got myself to sleep for a bit around 5 am, but then I woke up with a start, because something was crawling on my leg- under the sheets- and it was a mouse!!!

Apparently the cat had brought me a gift in the night.

I grabbed it with my sheet, but it got away. I have no idea where it went, but I was so sick that if I moved suddenly I would throw up. So, that is how weak and sick I felt - that I didn't even care about a live mouse crawling around my room somewhere.

My body feels battered and sore. I still have a slight temp, but I have been able to get up and walk to the couch and back. Spent much of the day sleeping, now that I didn't have the nausea anymore.

I just ate some plain yogurt with frozen berries, we will see how that goes. I sipped on a bottle of water throughout the day.

I suspect I picked up the virus at the doctor's office on Thursday- I gave my friend a ride to and from her colonoscopy. Sheesh!

My son's car wouldn't start this morning- sounds like either the battery or the alternator. I told him to take my car, because jumping didn't work. I sure wasn't going anywhere today. He is trying to diagnose the problem, although I did tell him I have AAA and they sell batteries. He has really been working on this by himself without any help from me the past two days. He knows I am sick.

Feeling a little better each day. I had oatmeal for breakfast, yogurt for dinner last night.

Woke up with a headache and still a slight fever. So I'm hanging out at home again today. And I let my son use my car again for work, since his is not working.

He has been trying to diagnose the problem, and he really thinks he just needs a new battery. So after work he will buy a new battery and put it in. So proud of him for taking care of this on his own. He didn't learn it from his dad or me, that's for sure!

My son's best friend is a tinkerer. The friend's dad sells motorcycle parts. So that us probably where that comes from.

I was going to take my older son to get a learner's permit today, but I cancelled. I will take him on Friday when I feel better. Older son is almost 22, so he just decided he wants to learn to drive.

I am back to normal now.

Today I worked most of the day catching up on my class. The final is this weekend, then my next course starts on Monday.

A little wistful today, and my parents' estate sale is tomorrow. Then the house sale closes next week. There goes my childhood! My parents lived in that home for 60 years. Hopefully a family bought it, and they can make new memories there.

It is HOT HOT HOT here! 2 days of over 100 degrees!

Yesterday morning I went walking with a coworker, but we started at 9 am, so it wasn't too bad at all.

This morning I walked with my friend C, and we started at 9 too. But it must not have cooled down much over night, so it was already hot by then. I felt sluggish and weak.

Looking forward to some relief from the heat very soon! In the meantime I very thankful for my little air conditioner for my bedroom.

Took my older son to get his permit and I had him drive around a big parking lot. He needs a,ton of practice since he has never driven before.

Younger son was with his dad this week but a bunch of packages showed up at my door and apparently he ordered motorcycle gear. He is going to buy a motorcycle. Ack!

I already have enough gray hair, and now both boys are going to make it white!

Older son told me that he might be moving in with his dad. We will see if his dad's girlfriend will go for that - when they moved in together 4 years ago the girlfriend did not want him living with them, so they never made space. It made my heart hurt.

But now they have a larger place, so maybe there will be room for him there. But- it is 12 miles out in the country, and that doesn't work well for someone that doesn't drive or have a car.

My son is excited because my ex and his girlfriend got a cute puppy.

I'm going to clear out a room here though. I just have a feeling he will be here...

I want my son to drive but he is still too scared right now. Most motorcycle.. hell, NO. I could never live through that .

Even reading your words I can tell the maturity difference between your younger and older son . Your older son sounds a lot like mine . Their own age in someways and about 10 in other ways. It is so hard to navigate .

I want my son to drive but he is still too scared right now. Most motorcycle.. hell, NO. I could never live through that .

Even reading your words I can tell the maturity difference between your younger and older son . Your older son sounds a lot like mine . Their own age in someways and about 10 in other ways. It is so hard to navigate .

That is so true!

Funny enough, each boy got an envelope from the DMV today- younger son with his new license with the motorcycle endorsement, and older son with the driver permit. Older son will be 22 in a few weeks, btw. I'm going to take him out to practice driving tomorrow.

Older son had a job interview today, in town. He thought he missed the bus, so he texted me in a panic for a ride. Sheesh! I was a few miles into a walk with friends and not near my car, so I told him to call his brother or get a taxi. In the end the bus did come, so I assume he got there on time. Really, if you have a job interview you better have that all planned out (and alternatives, just in case) ahead of time! He has some growing up to do.

I guess I will hear about the interview tomorrow.

How you coping with the heat today alum. Of course it's cold here still and less light.

I understand how you feel about the family home. It wasn't so much the family home for me as my mother down-sized, it was knowing I couldn't go stay with her anymore. It's definitely the best thing for her, but I suppose, it's the end of a chapter of our lives.

My older son called me this evening. He had been out hiking a butte near the city, but then his asthma was starting to kick in. He wanted a ride -and some dinner out of the deal.

So I went and got him. I think he is going through a tough time right now because he,hasn't found a job yet, and his lease is up in one week.

We had a quiet dinner together and then I took him back to his place. On the way out the door he dropped a bomb on me. One of his former scout buddies from high school committed suicide last week. I felt like I was punched in the stomach.

Although he had not kept touch with him for a long time, my son is planning on going to the memorial service this weekend.

I had a good conversation with my son, but then I thought to ask whether (in his depression) he has felt despondent enough to take his own life. He said that there are times he feels like dying, but that he never wanted to kill himself. Scary! Depression is awful