Toddlers in Restaurants

rocio

Most kids eat potatoes or rice. Every place has potatoes, rice or softer meats. Sometimes I would feed him things from my plate or sometimes I brought food for him. Either way it is nice family time together. Because one has children is no reason to be shunned from society.

Conversely, no one has to celebrate your reproductive choices, while trying to ignore your potentially screaming, misbehaving child in a situation where it's likely not appropriate to be in the first place.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We bring our own food. I clean up under the high chair (and wipe down the menu if we let him play with it -ie only a laminated menu). I never leave the jars for the waiter unless it is a very casual place with lots of kids and we tip over generously - then I might leave one jar. I take all baby related trash with me and we never order for him - often they offer him crayons/a plastic cup etc which is very nice.

We bring our own food. I clean up under the high chair (and wipe down the menu if we let him play with it -ie only a laminated menu). I never leave the jars for the waiter unless it is a very casual place with lots of kids and we tip over generously - then I might leave one jar. I take all baby related trash with me and we never order for him - often they offer him crayons/a plastic cup etc which is very nice.

Yup, just what I did. Had no problems.

Last time we went to a semi-fancy restaurant in town it took them 45 minutes to bring our food which was half burnt. My daughter was losing it. We asked for a check and haven't gone back since.

That is why I brought my own food him everywhere that way he was not loco by the time the food came. Or I would tell them I wanted a rush order on his meal if I was ordering his there and I tipped well.

For me, as a childless 20-something, it comes off as very disrespectful to bring a toddler into a nice restaurant. Not all, but many young children cry, scream, leave a huge mess, run around (I had a friend who tripped avoiding a small child while she was a waitress, she dropped a place a food because of it), and from what I have witness most parent do not offer any apology when there child does something that is out of line. The other dinners and the wait staff are disrupted. It just doesnt seem fair to anyone.

There are restaurants that offer a family atmosphere and where a child can but a child with out it disturbing others. We never bring my niece out unless she is going to be sleeping while we eat.

See, I wonder how people would feel if me and my gays went to Chucky Cheese for some pizza and gaming and talked freely about adult things.

Would that be appropriate?

Fine restaurants aren't strip clubs. If you're so intent on going to a kid-free place, then go to a nice lounge. When we do date nights and DO get babysitters, we go to upscale lounges where we know there won't be any children.

My son was in no way ready to sit in a formal dining establishment until he was 5, and then he was absolutely perfect. I never took him anywhere but Chucky Cheese, McDonald's, and the like until he was ready to sit for long periods quietly. The age children can do this varies from child to child. One of my pet peeves is screaming, maniacal, kids in restaurants!

And if they're not disruptive?

Still wouldn't do it. Chances are, they will have a fit if they are made to wait too long or whatever. Too much potential, leave them at home.

I don't know, that's just my take. I think when you become a parent, you have to accept that you can't go some places without a babysitter. There are some places (rightfully so) that just aren't for kids.

Been there seen it. I have seen people swearing like a trucker in McD's talking about whatever in front my kid.

But McDonald's isn't only a children/family dining establishment. I'm talking about a super specific Children's only (As fancy restaurants are adults only establishments) places. Would that be appropriate, and if it's not, should I say I shouldn't be shunned because I'm an adult?

Yeah that's totally gross. Not okay at all.

I just think there are some areas where kids just shouldn't go. Period. I wish all parents respected that. There is no reason for a toddler to be in a fine restaurant. None. If you can't afford a babysitter, then don't go. Easy as that.

No one is "shunning" kids. It's just polite to realize that there are some places that you just don't take them out of courtesy. You can always get a babysitter if you need one.

That is why I brought my own food him everywhere that way he was not loco by the time the food came. Or I would tell them I wanted a rush order on his meal if I was ordering his there and I tipped well.

We do too bring food as she has a low blood sugar issue but I didn't expect it would take them that long to bring the food out; in the past it was within 15 minutes. Just felt awful for the whole trip (about a block away from the house lol).

Then again there are children everywhere. As much as parents should make sure they behave there will be some break downs no matter how good they are. In fact look back and see how you acted in public; can't expect every child to behave and blame every parents.

But McDonald's isn't only a children/family dining establishment. I'm talking about a super specific Children's only (As fancy restaurants are adults only establishments) places. Would that be appropriate, and if it's not, should I say I shouldn't be shunned because I'm an adult?

I have seen all kinds of adults at Chuckee Cheese or whatever. There is NO kid ONLY establishment because they HAVE to go with an adult. So there will never be a kids exclusive place, ever, because they need adults there. And no I do not think adults should be shunned in kids places. However I think people as adults should know how to act and have no right to act like a jerk in public.

For some reason, whenever I go to a restaurant, there's always a kid there that can't stop staring at me. And when I notice and say hi or wave, they get embarrassed and turn away. Then when they think I'm not looking anymore, they'll start to stare again. It's kinda funny lol. It used to feel awkward to me, but now I'm used to it.

We do too bring food as she has a low blood sugar issue but I didn't expect it would take them that long to bring the food out; in the past it was within 15 minutes. Just felt awful for the whole trip (about a block away from the house lol).

Then again there are children everywhere. As much as parents should make sure they behave there will be some break downs no matter how good they are. In fact look back and see how you acted in public; can't expect every child to behave and blame every parents.

Sure I can. It's quite simple really. As a parent, it's your job to make a choice for your child who isn't old or mature enough to make a decision for him/herself. Before a certain age, you're just throwing the dice hoping your child won't spaz out. I think it's the height of selfishness to expect other people to accommodate your interruption into their good time just because you all decided to hatch spawn. You know what I mean?

Parenthood doesn't = entitlement to

1.) take up the whole damn sidewalk with strollers and then deathglare me because I happen to be running on it.

2.) bring your children wildly inappropriate adult places because you're tired of being mommy and daddy for a night, so let's spread the agony to everyone around you.

I'm not aiming this at people who are considerate parents, but in my experience, most parents could give a crap about anyone else by themselves and it's really irritating.

No, i don't think they belong in upscale restaurants where adults are trying to have a peaceful dinner... any more than i think toddlers are appropriate at bars...

There are plenty of family restaurants where kids are fine... but not appropriate in places where other diners having business dinners or romantic dinners will be disrupted by young kids... there's a time and a place for everything!

This annoys me to no end at restaurants AND movie theatres. California parents are not considerate of anyone. I've gotten into quite a few unfortunate situations telling them exactly where they needed to go.

Ugh. Yeah, it really annoys me when I'm trying to watch a movie and a child nearby keeps on talking or crying. If it's a kid's movie then I don't mind as much, I kind of expect it and I'll just go later at night when less kids are there, but if it's anything PG13 and above, I don't want to hear kids.

Adulthood does not = entitlement to me either. Being an adult does not make one any more important or their rights more important than a child's rights. It is a free country, people are free to go where they please, unless of course it is a bar or strip club( for children). Resturantes I believe are fair game. Once you start trampling the right of one group it is not a long jump to trampling the rights of others and telling them where they can go and not go.

Archived