Toddlers in Restaurants

rocio

Could be where you live too, more people, more cultures, the expectations I'm sure are different. Then you have particular restaurants that attract certain age groups. I have yet to experience a lot of children misbehaving..then again as parents you tend to filter those noise out quite easily and don't notice it.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's just polite to realize that bringing a toddler to a fine restaurant is rude because it will disrupt other people's dinner.

No one is "banning" anyone from anywhere. Of course it's a free country. It's just a matter of courtesy.

Like, I would not go to Chuckee Cheese with my boyfriend and swear and consume alcohol. Can I do it? Probably. But I wouldn't because it's rude.

Adulthood does not = entitlement to me either. Being an adult does not make one any more important or their rights more important than a child's rights. It is a free country, people are free to go where they please, unless of course it is a bar or strip club( for children). Resturantes I believe are fair game. Once you start trampling the right of one group it is not a long jump to trampling the rights of others and telling them where they can go and not go.

In a perfect world, they would be. But seriously, I've literally sicced the manager/maitre d' on about 5 whack parents dragging their poor INFANT children to 10pm dinners and as the poor kids are screaming with lungs Pavarotti would covet, they just shrug at all the people looking at them like "OH SORRY HE HE, KIDS, YOU KNOW"

Hell no. Take your damn kids away!

I think it's just polite to realize that bringing a toddler to a fine restaurant is rude because it will disrupt other people's dinner.

No one is "banning" anyone from anywhere. Of course it's a free country. It's just a matter of courtesy.

Like, I would not go to Chuckee Cheese with my boyfriend and swear and consume alcohol. Can I do it? Probably. But I wouldn't because it's rude.

Yeah, but I HAVE seen people be like this in kid establishment. So really people can whine about kids all day, but I have seen my share of rude and insufferable adults who have the capacity to know better.

I am glad you follow what you believe though Fudgie and so do I it is just a difference of opinion.

In a perfect world, they would be. But seriously, I've literally sicced the manager/maitre d' on about 5 whack parents dragging their poor INFANT children to 10pm dinners and as the poor kids are screaming with lungs Pavarotti would covet, they just shrug at all the people looking at them like "OH SORRY HE HE, KIDS, YOU KNOW"

Yes, I agree that is unreasonable Hex and they should not do it. I did not do that either.

lol now that's bad. That rarely happens around here; at least we never take our daughter out that late.

And movies, we haven't even tried even though she's almost four, not sure how she will be just yet...

Yeah, but I HAVE seen people be like this in kid establishment. So really people can whine about kids all day, but I have seen my share of rude and insufferable adults who have the capacity to know better.

I am glad you follow what you believe though Fudgie and so do I it is just a difference of opinion.

I do agree with you...it shouldn't be that way in child-friendly establishment.

If you don't want to be around toddlers, then you shouldn't go to a family restaurant, ya know? So yeah, I agree, that's BS for people to do that.

I guess I just think that "fine dining" (aka not a family restaurant, but a place where you have to dress up, nice table cloths, cloth napkins, more than 1 forks, etc) isn't a good place for kids until they are a bit older.

lol now that's bad. That rarely happens around here; at least we never take our daughter out that late.

And movies, we haven't even tried even though she's almost four, not sure how she will be just yet...

Oh man the movies. My first time there was when I was 4. I didn't have a fit but I got scared and told my parents I wanted to leave. I think it was Aladdin. >

I think the movies can be scary for kids. I probably wouldn't bring anyone younger than 6 to one simply because of the fear factor.

Yeah I did not take my son to an actual theatre till he was older. When he was really small we went to the drive in to keep all the noise and havoc in our car.

Agreed.

I know my kid can't sit through a movie. No way she'd make it past 1/2 hour. (She's the same age - four in a couple months)

I wouldn't bring a toddler or baby to a fancy/upscale restaurant. I don't think it is appropriate to do so. I think of those types of restaurants as for adults only, and there are other places that are more family friendly. I have been out to dinner with my fiance at an upscale restaurant, which is NOT cheap, and then there would be a loud/crying toddler or baby there and the parents would just shrug it off, saying "oh, sorry, you know how kids are." Really? I don't think so, take your kid out of this place so the rest of us can eat in peace. I love kids, but I just don't think that is the place for them to be.

Some kids are used to watching hours and hours of t.v. and they would probably do better in theatres.

My kid definitely needs to refine her "filter". She's been known to say things like, "mom, look at that man's belly. It's soooo big!" Another time I asked a question to a man in the grocery store and then my daughter asked me loudly, "is he your boyfriend?" I didn't even know she was familiar with the concept of a boyfriend! Apparently her father had been trying to explain it to her earlier in the day.

Some kids are used to watching hours and hours of t.v. and they would probably do better in theatres.

My kid definitely needs to refine her "filter". She's been known to say things like, "mom, look at that man's belly. It's soooo big!" Another time I asked a question to a man in the grocery store and then my daughter asked me loudly, "is he your boyfriend?" I didn't even know she was familiar with the concept of a boyfriend! Apparently her father had been trying to explain it to her earlier in the day.

Yup,my son has said some stellar stuff in his day. Usually at that point it time to say sorry to the other person, make a run for it and then tell your child why and how they did something inappropriate and sometimes what is in the mind needs to stay there.

In one of the cities I lived in there was a movie showing specifically to bring crying babies to - of course then you'd have to hear all the other crying babies. I never tried it. When I was pregnant we went to see the Changeling - a woman was there with her crying baby in a stroller and we finally had to call the manager because she wouldn't budge.

I worked at a fairly up-scale restaurant for a while during my college years. The dinning room did not have high chairs because we did not want parents to bring babies in. They can create quite the disturbance!

That being said, I have served many quiet and obedient children, but there really does seem to be a high number of parents that bring their loud and screaming children into restaurants shamelessly.

I don't think it's about good or bad. It's just the way the child was raised.

Anyone who's read my posts knows I'm obsessed with food. Our dinners are long, drawn-out affairs with several courses and certain formalities/manners. So there's not much to adjust to when we go to a restaurant.

Adulthood does not = entitlement to me either. Being an adult does not make one any more important or their rights more important than a child's rights. It is a free country, people are free to go where they please, unless of course it is a bar or strip club( for children). Resturantes I believe are fair game. Once you start trampling the right of one group it is not a long jump to trampling the rights of others and telling them where they can go and not go.

You can argue rights all you want but people still also have the right to complain about people dragging their babies into upscale restaurants, and give them the crusty look they richly deserve.

Look, there's no conflict in this situation unless it is specifically started by a parent. There's no conflict and no social battlefield until one person breaks the golden rule and foists their offspring on an unwilling audience.

That said, as far as adults acting immature in child-oriented restaurants, it's usually PARENTS who are just as ill-behaved as their offspring, and ironically, Chuck E Cheezes fields more police complaints than any biker bar:

Calling All Cars: Trouble at Chuck E. Cheese's, Again

Kid-Centric Pizza Parlors Become Stage for Adult Bad Behavior, as Mama-Bear Instincts

link removed

Google "Chuck E Cheese fights" and be prepared for a shock as you observe parents behaving badly - it doesn't surprise me that their kids don't know how to act.

I worked at a fairly up-scale restaurant for a while during my college years. The dinning room did not have high chairs because we did not want parents to bring babies in. They can create quite the disturbance!

That being said, I have served many quiet and obedient children, but there really does seem to be a high number of parents that bring their loud and screaming children into restaurants shamelessly.

And there are large numbers of adults who shamelessly go to restaurants when drunk and loud, or when sober yell into cell phones and curse/yell shamelessly with no regard for people around them.

I don't think the standard should be "quiet and obedient" - adults aren't obligated to be quiet - in fact they're supposed to converse during the meal. I do think that children who scream/cry or leave their seat other than to use the bathroom with an adult taking them should not be in the restaurant.

Archived