Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Why do I watch Shark Week specials? I love the ocean, even if I live 5 hours away from it. I love getting IN the ocean. But every time I watch one of these documentaries I wonder why the H I ever get in the ocean....

Like this picture. That's a beautiful yet deadly animal staring back at me saying, "I dare you to come in here. I will eat you."

Yeahhhhh no thanks. I can't swim anyway, I'll stick to just standing in the surf...

Do you not know how to swim? If yes, I'm sure there's a story there but ... I love swimming so so much, it just feels like heaven to me. I think you should learn. I'm scared of sharks too, I don't enjoy going to the beach with my family in South Carolina much because I'm really nervous, even though I make myself go in the water.

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you not know how to swim? If yes, I'm sure there's a story there but ... I love swimming so so much, it just feels like heaven to me. I think you should learn. I'm scared of sharks too, I don't enjoy going to the beach with my family in South Carolina much because I'm really nervous, even though I make myself go in the water.

I actually can't. I use to be able to. In a pool I can co from the shallow end to the deep end okay, but if you were to stick me somewhere were I knew there was no bottom and it was an actual swim, yeah. I'd drown. I hit my head when I jumped off a dock when I was 10, and have just never been able to since. And it's funny because I LOVE the water. I love being in it.

I still can't jump into a pool (like a cannon ball?) without freaking out. Idk, something about when I go under for that split second when the water pressure is pushing you down, I think I'm going to drown and I fight it and it scares me. I'm a wuss, I know. lol

I'm actually from South Carolina! I have went into the ocean the last few times to Myrtle Beach but the last time I went I was out there with my ex on those little boards you can lay on your stomach on. No the real long serf board kind but the booggie board or whatever. When I stood up (the water was like wasit deep I think) I saw this dark form and what looked like a fin under water. My mind instantly went to all those shark specials I watched and I ran. Turned out to be a sting ray and the tip was the tip of his wing but yeah...

Oh I love swimming. The way I know I'm a beach girl (and that Atlanta was not right for me) is that I absoltuely LOVE feeling immersed in water. I love taht i can go under water and have all the water covering all of me. I can't explain it. It's euphoric for me. One reason I moved bac to Florida was that I knew I didn't want to be landlocked. I HAVE to be around water, somehow, some way. Mountains aren't for me b/c I can't immerse myself.

Jared says I'm like a kid at the pool. I like to do flips over the side. When I was about 10, I figured out a way to do flips over the edge of the pool into the water and my stomach flip flops and it's the COOLEST feeling in the world. I can't explain it. BUt I love that feeling. I'm 27 and still do flips over the edge of the pool.

Sounds more like you have a phobia of what can happen in the water more so than you can't swim. Try to get over that! It's incredible.

It is strange. I love being in the water. I get that same feeling you do Hers. I love being in any kind of water, but I especially love being in the ocean. I didn't get to see the ocean for the first time until I was 18 but I fell in LOVE with it when I did. One of the reasons why I'm looking forward to moving to England is closer to the water. You are are never more than 3 hours away from the beach apparently. May not be able to swim but it's more the beach itself I love. Like at night. I love the beach at night. The sounds and the smell. I would love to near near the ocean one day, just to be able to smell and hear it all the time.

It kind of is. I mean, I learned how to tread water a few years back (my best friend taught me) and like I said, I can stay in the deep end of a pool now with no real problem and I do a swimming action but a lot slower than most. I know I can't swim under water. Tried and failed. But yeah, just something about jumping in (even with a life jacket on!) I feel like I'm drowning for those first few moments.

I love swimming underneath the water. It's the easiest way for me to swim.

Have you tried the sidestroke, OG? That's the one I use if I'm not swimming underwater. I don't get tired that way.

I can't open my eyes under water, I dunno if that has something to do with it, like I don't know where I'm going. I tend to stick close to the surface (I blame it on being a big girl).

What's the sidestroke? I do the one where you rotate which arm you put forward and you turn your head away away from the arm you are using. Is that what that is?

I can't open my eyes under water, I dunno if that has something to do with it, like I don't know where I'm going. I tend to stick close to the surface (I blame it on being a big girl).

What's the sidestroke? I do the one where you rotate which arm you put forward and you turn your head away away from the arm you are using. Is that what that is?

That sounds like freestyle. With side stroke, you're actually on your side, and you never have to put your head under the water. I think it's a lot less tiring than the other styles, although it's not as fast.

This is in korean (I think), but it was the best video I could find.

My nephew, Tyler, got to come home yesterday.

He was born two months early on July 9th. My sister's placenta had started tearing and she was bleeding so they took him early. He has been in the NICU since and has done nothing but improve. Every day he has gotten stronger and a tube has been taken out. The only two setbacks were his PDA (the thing they use to breath inside the womb) didn't close at birth (on a normal baby it closes when they are born and they then use their lungs) so he had to have surgery to close it. And his heart rate wants to keep dropping.

But my sister and brother-in-law got to take him home yesterday. I was a little miffed I found out through FB of all places. Point is though he is home, and safe.

Going to go look at another car bright and early tomorrow. It's a '99 Monte Carlo. Perfect size for me (small), cheaper than the Isuzu, 80,000 less miles on it, and the payments will be cheaper. It only doesn't have a warrenty.

I haven't made my mind up but I'm leaning toward it.

I also want to say I have the most amazing fiance ever. He didn't watch football this afternoon so he could talk to me on my lunch break. I miss him so much... God I can't wait for October 1st to be here so I can be in his arms.

I suppose I should start thinking of things for us to do in Atlanta for a day though....

Have you been to stone mountain? You could go to the botanical gardens off of Piedmont. Take him to Piedmont park. The high museum. Don't take him to the coke museum. Its so dangerous down there. Go eat at the highland bakery for breakfast (n highland Dr) and chipotle for lunch (can't wait to go there on Sunday!!).

Will you stay in Atlanta or just drive there for a day?

I don't think I have ever been to Stone Mountain. What is it? lol, I was actually considering the coke mueseum. I love that place. But he would get bored, I know he would. I was thinking the zoo since it's less expensive than the aquarium. Aquarium is awesome by $60 for two people? No thank you.

I'm def. taking him to a Cracker Barrell one morning for a Southern breakfast, even if he has to taste it off my plate.

I'll drive down there on the first (he arrives about 8ish PM). I think what we are going to do is stay down there Saturday and leave Sunday morning to come up to Anderson to meet my family so we will spend a whole day there.

Oh but cracker barrel is such processed food! Don't take him to a chain unless its chipotle haha. Take him to highland bakery or eats. Ooh or ria's bluebird on memorial. Sooo good and very southern.

Google stone mountain. Its amazing.

The aquarium is somewhere I never went. Too expensive and touristy. Too crowded for my tastes.

Where are you gonna stay?

lol, I'll have to remember those resturants.

It was crowded when I went with my ex. Amazing animals but yeah, it's expensive. I would only ever go again if I got the zoo/Aquariam combo ticket for $80 for both attractions for two people. Otherwise, it's just outrageous.

In this little Super 8 off I-85 in Chamblee. Instead of fighting Atlanta traffic, we are gonna stay there and I'll take the MARTA to meet him at the airport and of course use the MARTA to get around. No way would I drive. :s I stayed in it before, very nice hotel for one of the cheap chains.

Haha everyone freaks out about Atlanta traffic but its not bad! The lanes are narrow but its ok. Marta is good to get around but its really limited for where it goes. Like it wont take you to Piedmont park or stone mountain but will take you to nice places in Decatur and dunwoody and downtown and the high museum. If you go to the zoo in grant park, absolutely positively don't take Marta to get there. Its a long walk and its in a bad area. I left Atlanta bc of how bad the crime is. Grant park is like a crime Mecca lately.

It probably isn't that bad, I just hate sitting in it. And yeah, the Marta is a quick, cheap way to get around. I'll check to see what the High has, I went a few years ago when they had the Lourve exhibit from France. Oh yeah, it's def. dangerous. I remember when my ex and I were walking from the Marta station on Peachstreet I believe to the Civic Center to see the King Tut exhibit, I have never been THAT afraid before in my life. And it was broad day light.

Yep that's why I say avoid the coke museum and underground Atlanta. I had to go down there for jury duty once and I felt like I should've brought a shank with me. Its awful down there. Around the high museum its not bad but five points station and king memorial station, IMO, are the worst palaces. Civic center station I hear is bad too. I'd rather drive!

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a know it all! I guess I'm just still bitter about Atlanta haha

Went and test drove the car today. I loved it. it's just perfect for me. Perfect size, the body is in excellent condition and the inside is very nice. It also drove like a dream too. Only thing is when my stepdad popped the hood open he smelled anti-freeze. So yeah. It could be something REALLY small or something large. Mom and I are taking it to a mechanic Monday before I go to work for him to look at it.

keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't anything major.

CS and I also celebrated out six month anniversary today. It's not actually until Monday (23) but I'm having to work as well as him, so we took today to celebrate. With the car and me being ill though, it kind of ruined it. Not ruined it but I was very ill earlier on.

I worked on the STDs a little tonight. mostly printing out, trying to get an idea how big I want it. Finally got it the right size. Mom is going to take a few pictures when CS comes over in october, one will be our STD photo and the other we will use for the engagment announcement in the paper.

41 more days!

Got to see Tyler and Brittney today.

He is such an adorable baby. I got to feed him too and burb him. it's been a long time since I got to feed a baby (not since Chloe was a baby herself). I loved just sitting there and holding him why he slept, or calming him down when he started getting fussy. Crying babies have never bothered me. I'll wade through the crying and calm them down. I don't mind changing dirty diapers or lack of sleep getting up with them.

It's what I was born to do.

I can't wait for CS and I have to kids... )

Archived