Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My weight-loss journey - Getting back on track....

annie24

aunt flo came to town, lol. finally!! right after i got it, i went to the gym and was using the elliptical. i was watching sex and the city, and the episode where Samantha doesn't get her period comes on. coincidence? she thinks she is going through menopause so she agrees to a date with an older guy who has a hip replacement. she goes back to his place, has sex with him, and then he notices she got her period all over his sheets! she apologizes, super happy, and runs out! lol.

i wound up staying past closing time at the gym, oops. having too much fun watching tv while doing the elliptical!

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years ago I was at this wedding and walked into the bathroom where a ton of girls were fixing themselves up, and one of the girls had lost about 30lbs and a cousin says to her "oh C, you're just so beautiful now, you were beautiful before but now you're just radiant and so attractive". Nice way to make someone feel better lol.

so, i skyped with my aunt yesterday who told me how much i changed (likely referring to my weight gain). great, thanks. very nice. not that skype really makes you look all that great. but since the last time she saw me (last year) i've gained only 5-10 lbs.

my cousin told me not to take it personally. she took her daughters to be baptized over in europe (where our aunt lives) and the aunt made sure to say at the baptism that the girls look half Korean! (both my cousin and her husband are white). geez. church is the best place to question paternity. sigh.

thanks petite. yes, it is the culture and then it's also them being annoying. my mom is an extreme version of that. my favorite aunt is here in the other room and is battling a very aggressive cancer. she's my favorite of my aunts, i hope she is ok. she doesn't make crazy remarks like that either.

gah. UP 2.2 lbs today. I had a long weekend away visiting my cousin. I ate all the foods they did, and in the same quantities. My cousin and her husband are both slim. but i think that the rough travel to and fro messed with my system/sleep and all that, so I wonder if that had an effect. I took the bus, I think I'll fly next time. I was also kind of sick for a day, so I wonder if that is related.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Last month - I stayed exactly the same. I've been going to WW weekly, apart from my European trip for 2 weeks. I didn't go up or down, not even 0.2 lbs!! My leader says that's ok. I ate pretty much whatever I felt like in Europe, but we walked EVERYWHERE too. From 9 AM to 3 AM basically every day, up and down, up the hills, up the stairs, etc.... So I guess I ate the perfect amount to just burn what I ate. I'm invited to a wedding in 2 months, my goal is to lose at least 10 lbs. I need to buy a new dress for this wedding as well, because I don't have any attire appropriate for a winter wedding.

I was 1.4 lbs up at WW this week (before Thanksgiving). Ugh. Though it could have been the jeans I was wearing at weigh in. sigh. Went to dance class yesterday and the gym this morning - trying to get back in the habit of regular exercise. Holidays are hard, so much food, so much booze. I managed to lose weight over the holidays in the past, I need to find that strength again.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I am trying to get back on track after basically an eating disaster of the holidays.

Weight Watcher unveiled their "simple start" plan which has any number of balanced recipes to choose from. I went to the grocery store today to buy things I would need for the next week. I actually had to go to 2 grocery stores because trader joe's ran out of several things, due to trucks not coming because of the storm.

I made this for dinner. It was good.

Couscous with Chicken & Vegetables

8 PointsPlus Value

[TABLE=class: qr-head]

[TR]

[TD] Ingredients[/TD]

[TD] PointsPlus Value

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: qr-info]

[TR]

[TD] 1 cup(s) cooked whole wheat couscous [/TD]

[TD] 5

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 3 oz cooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s) cut into strips[/TD]

[TD] 3

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1 cup(s) cooked spinach steamed or sautéed[/TD]

[TD] 0

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1/2 cup(s) canned tomato sauce

[/TD]

[TD] 0

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: qr-info-last-tr]

[TD] 1/4 cup(s) canned diced tomatoes with seasonings

[/TD]

[TD] 0

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Breakfast: Honey bunches of oats cereal + milk, coffee

Snack: Banana

Lunch: Cobb Salad:

[TR]

[TD]2 cup(s) (chopped) lettuce[/TD]

[TD] 0

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 3 oz cooked turkey breast without skin thickly sliced[/TD]

[TD] 2

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1 item(s) whole hard boiled egg(s) sliced[/TD]

[TD] 2

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1/4 cup(s) (shredded) fat-free hard or semi-soft cheese[/TD]

[TD] 1

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 5 medium grape tomatoes halved[/TD]

[TD] 0

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1/4 small uncooked red onion(s) thinly sliced[/TD]

[TD] 0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2 Tbsp fat-free salad dressing[/TD]

[TD] 1[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I used 3 oz of grilled chicken breast and low fat cilantro dressing from Trader Joe's. I used low fat cheddar cheese which was slightly crumbly. 6 points total. Maybe 7 points with the modifications?

Classic Omelet with Roasted Sweet Potatoes

image removed

link removed

9 PointsPlus Value

Track

[TR]

[TD] Ingredients[/TD]

[TD] PointsPlus Value[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD] 1 small uncooked sweet potato(es) cubed[/TD]

[TD] 3[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1 tsp olive oil[/TD]

[TD] 1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 2 large egg(s)[/TD]

[TD] 4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1/2 cup(s) fresh mushroom(s) sliced[/TD]

[TD] 0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1/4 cup(s) (shredded) fat-free hard or semi-soft cheese[/TD]

[TD] 1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1 1/2 cup(s) (chopped) lettuce[/TD]

[TD] 0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 6 medium grape tomatoes halved[/TD]

[TD] 0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1 medium fresh radish(es) sliced[/TD]

[TD] 0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] 1/4 cup(s) (chopped) orange bell pepper[/TD]

[TD] 0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2 Tbsp fat free vinaigrette dressing[/TD]

[TD] 0[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: foodpoints]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: pv][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD] Instructions[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: qr-inst]

[TR]

[TD] Preheat oven to 450°F degrees and coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Toss potatoes with oil and season to taste with salt and pepper and optional spices or herbs. Spread potatoes evenly accross baking sheet leaving space between cubes. Roast for 25 minutes or until well browned, stirring half-way through.

Meanwhile, make an omelet with eggs, mushrooms and cheese. Serve with potatoes and lettuce and vegetables tossed with dressing.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: foodpoints]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=class: pv][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD] Swaps[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD] Use egg whites instead of whole eggs and reduced-calorie toast instead of the sweet potatoes.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD] Flavor Boosts[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD] All-purpose seasoning, minced onion and/or hot sauce[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR]

[TD] Restaurant Tip[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Ask for your omelet to be cooked with cooking spray — not butter. If they don’t have sweet potatoes roasted in oil, ask for a plain baked sweet potato instead. Opt for oil and vinegar for your salad when fat-free dressing is not available.

Fun journal! I am not suggesting I am perfect by any means but I have found a few things that have helped me keep the weight off ... (some thoughts for you to consider):

Here are some things I don't do:

1. I don't drink any soda or alcohol. I don't drink at all. Bad carbs

2. I don't eat dairy. This had made a huge difference for me. I was average and when I gave up dairy around September, I have more of a slim look. I only miss adding cheese in some dishes and clam chowder soup cans.

3. I don't eat grains ... not even whole grains. I don't eat bread (not even croutons), chips, cereal, popcorn, noodles, pasta or rice. Every once in a while (maybe once a month) I might have some whole grains (e.g. whole grain quinoa/pasta in soup or a pre-made salad) but that's rare. Also, I don't eat potatoes. I try to keep carbs reasonable overall.

4. I don't eat sweets. No cakes, cookies, brownies, candy (e.g. M&Ms or Butterfingers)

Here are some things I do:

1. I eat LOTS of veggies. Cutting out grains leaves more room for this. I have 5-8 servings of veggies a day. I love salads and enjoy steamed broccoli/cauliflower or spinach with mushrooms. I usually mix the veggie dish with meat. Sometimes, I make a "green drink" smoothie with water, kale, lemon juice, some grapes or an apple and suddenly I will have had 10 servings of fruits/veggies in a day!

2. I eat LOTS of meat. Cutting out grains leave more room for this too. I have 2-5 servings of meat a day.

3. I eat fruit. I do have a sweet tooth so I love grapes and oranges/mandarin especially. Have to be careful about portion sizes.

4. I eat legumes! I never used to do this much but now I love them. I really like chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans and black eyed peas ... they are also great ways for me to get iron.

Things I would like to do better.

1. Consistently drink lots of water.

2. Cut out on the sugar via flavor packets/flavored water and gum. At least really reduce. I go overboard on this! These give me way too many carbs.

3. Consistently low amounts of fruit. I need to eat some of the less sweet fruits like blueberries and strawberries - which still taste great!

4. Sleep. Nuff said!

Thanks for letting me share!!! Good luck and I'll keep checkin in your progress!

Thanks for posting! Those are all terrible ideas! LOL. Seriously, my old personal trainer eats like that and he has a killer body. I just can't do it. Well, won't. I love sweets and dairy and alcohol too much. However, I will watch my portion sizes. When I did weight watchers before, I lost 35 lbs, but still had an occasional cake/cookie. like maybe 1 a week and one "cheat meal" - like when i am out with friends. But these days, i've been having like a sweet a day. But when i don't watch what i'm eating, I gained all of it back over the course of 5 years, + 20 lbs. yeesh. not good.

for me, i really have to journal and keep track of all i am eating. i could never ever give up wine. oh gosh, that would be awful for me. but i really should cut down.

when i lost weight before, i was also really good about doing exercise DVDs. I should go back to that, consistently. Now that i live in a 1st floor apartment, I won't feel so bad doing an exercise DVD because I have no neighbors underneath me.

Yeah the whole cutting out entire food groups frightens me. I know there are people who believe you don't need grains and/or dairy but it seems extreme to me. I do eat small amounts of grains but I would be nervous about cutting them out altogether. Whole grains are full of essential nutrients.

I also eat copious amount of sweets if I don't control myself. I believe, however, that it is because I eat small amounts of carbs. Leaves me craving. Haven't quite figures out how to manage that yet.

Archived