Are destination weddings unfair?

shikashika

Whatever... as if Edmonton isn't the most fun, progressive, tropical city on the planet!

But I would hardly call Edmonton the prairies....at least things there don't close at 1:00 am and you can't see your home from anywhere you stand in the city/province because it is so flat !

That being said I love being a prairie girl...I just know others have a harder time appreciating it and would rather travel somewhere else for my wedding than to here!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But I would hardly call Edmonton the prairies....at least things there don't close at 1:00 am and you can't see your home from anywhere you stand in the city/province because it is so flat !

That being said I love being a prairie girl...I just know others have a harder time appreciating it and would rather travel somewhere else for my wedding than to here!

ha ha... yeah i don't know to many people that have Edmonton on their 'must see' list before they die

^ RayKay, tell that to my family, will ya? All my relatives get these weddings right smack in the middle of nowheresville , and have several this coming summer (yeah, several, the bunnies!) .

Would love an excuse to bond AND go to Mexico/ Cuba/ somewhere away from farmland. hehee.

Haha, at least they could all do it at the same time so you only had to make one trip!!!

My sister-in-law..poor girl....had to go to 8 weddings last year; was a bridesmaid for them all and have to travel a few provinces away....now that got pricey (they figured that including dresses as she was bridesmaid, travel it was about $1,000 for each)..... She could of gone to a couple destination weddings for what it cost her!

ha ha... yeah i don't know to many people that have Edmonton on their 'must see' list before they die

Aw, I like Edmonton.

Reminds me of Winnipeg in terms of both the "feel" of the city and overall attitude/people....friendly and less "material" than your Southern neighbour (sorry Calgarians.....). I am not sure why given about half of Winnipeg seems to have moved to Calgary...but anyway, I like Edmonton!

Haha, at least they could all do it at the same time so you only had to make one trip!!!

My sister-in-law..poor girl....had to go to 8 weddings last year; was a bridesmaid for them all and have to travel a few provinces away....now that got pricey (they figured that including dresses as she was bridesmaid, travel it was about $1,000 for each)..... She could of gone to a couple destination weddings for what it cost her!

whoa. 8 dresses. she has quite a number of entries for an 'ugly bridesmaid dress' party. i was reading a newspaper article - these parties are getting in fashion, so to speak, where the woman with the ugliest bridesmaid dress wins a prize. the dress in the paper was this hot pink tulle thing with black lace, asymmetrical slit, straight out of 1984.

me? i have no problem with saying no thanks to a wedding, then sending a nice gift.

Gasp. Poor girl, no kidding! That's wild.

And I agree about Edmonton. Have a feeling a lot of those who migrated to Calgary will be making their way back home relatively soon, as some are already doing that.

But I digress. lol.

Lots have. About 3/4 of the people I know whom moved there to chase their "dreams" moved back...mostly due to living costs and finding the road was not paved in gold after all (though...a lot less potholes than here!).

whoa. 8 dresses. she has quite a number of entries for an 'ugly bridesmaid dress' party. i was reading a newspaper article - these parties are getting in fashion, so to speak, where the woman with the ugliest bridesmaid dress wins a prize. the dress in the paper was this hot pink tulle thing with black lace, asymmetrical slit, straight out of 1984.

me? i have no problem with saying no thanks to a wedding, then sending a nice gift.

Yes, I have not seen the movie but she is on the way to beating the 27 Dresses I think by now!

Well I think the real issue here is that you're mad cuz you won't be able to celebrate your friend's wedding with her and on top of that, feeling guilty because you feel compelled to go, especially since you know you can technically afford to. So you're taking the anger out on the situation (and venting about her).

But you don't have to feel guilty for declining because you've told her how you felt about it. If she's your close friend at all (which would seem so since she asked you to be maid of honor) then of course she'll be disappointed if you can't come. She'll be sad and try to convince you to go, but I'm sure she'll also understand if you can't since you've already told her how you felt and this is what she decided.

You can just celebrate with her at the reception she's throwing at home.

My nephew and wife went to Vegas to get married. Her dad owns 6 car dealerships!!!

So the only ones from our side there was his father, and one brother. She had 24 relatives. It was HER wedding, not THEIRS. I felt so bad. I asked if they would have a ceremony here...NAH! We're already married. I got gyped on my own nephews wedding!

ERRGG!!!

Obviously you have never priced a destination wedding before. It is actually more often than not more expensive. Not sure where you got that it was cheaper from??

if the bride and groom are only paying for their airfare and hotel (and no one else's).... and then they are paying for a small reception on the beach and a small dinner.... i can't see how that is more expensive than booking a country club or something similar back home and hosting 150 people....

Obviously you have never priced a destination wedding before. It is actually more often than not more expensive. Not sure where you got that it was cheaper from??

hmnn... so why do all my friends / colleagues who've done it, say its cheaper?

You can't tell me that a destination wedding is not more expensive for the guests???

if the bride and groom are only paying for their airfare and hotel (and no one else's).... and then they are paying for a small reception on the beach and a small dinner.... i can't see how that is more expensive than booking a country club or something similar back home and hosting 150 people....

When I was looking intoa destination wedding, it was actually almost double the price of what a local wedding would be.

Because most places, even if you aren't covering all the fares for all guests, most places you still have to pay a certain amount of money per guest that will be attending the wedding/reception.

My friend says her 'package' is the same as everyone else's... they have to pay for the wedding judge/ person who is doing the wedding... maybe add a couple grand AT MOST on to their package.

pretty good deal!

In the end, whether it is cheaper or more expensive IT IS HER WEDDING! if you can't attend dont we have already told you what you need to do. Why keep making such a huge deal and beating her down just because she chooses to have her dream wedding. If you were a real friend you'd be just as understanding about her wanting to do what makes HER happy. It is her wedding, she is the only person (besides the groom of course) that needs to be pleased. If you can't attend, you can't attend.

In the end, whether it is cheaper or more expensive IT IS HER WEDDING! if you can't attend dont we have already told you what you need to do. Why keep making such a huge deal and beating her down just because she chooses to have her dream wedding. If you were a real friend you'd be just as understanding about her wanting to do what makes HER happy. It is her wedding, she is the only person (besides the groom of course) that needs to be pleased. If you can't attend, you can't attend.

Why are YOU getting all upset about it?

I started a thread about it, and want to talk about it

I'm going to a destination wedding next month, in Mexico. Horror of horrors, it's at a resort Sure I am spending almost $2000 (not including insurance and extra activities) but it was my choice to go. The bride understands that it's as much a vacation for me, as it is for her wedding. We were planning a vacation anyways, and when she sent out the invites I figured, why not? My boyfriend and I will arrive in Mexico on our two year anniversary, so it's for us too. After all, the wedding is only one night of the whole 9 days we will be there. I doubt that we will spend much time with the bride and groom at all aside from the rehearsal dinner and wedding itself. It's selfish on all counts, but the bride and groom should do what they wish and what makes them happy. It's their day. If you don't want to go, don't go. Simple as that.

Why are YOU getting all upset about it?

I started a thread about it, and want to talk about it

I'm not getting upset about it, I just think it's crazy that you keep trying to bash your friend because she chose her dream wedding. Why do you have to bash every little reasoning behind her choosing to have a destination wedding? That isn't what a true friend would do.

I agree with that. If my very best friend met the man of her dreams and they chose a wedding location that I hated, I would still go. Why? Because it's important to her. Even if I had to scrimp and save to go, I would be there, front row center. Friends make sacrifices, and I've gotta say, that a relaxing vacation in a tropical climate really isn't so terrible. It's not the way you would do things, but it's what your friend and her fiance dream of, and it's important to them.

I'm not getting upset about it, I just think it's crazy that you keep trying to bash your friend because she chose her dream wedding. Why do you have to bash every little reasoning behind her choosing to have a destination wedding? That isn't what a true friend would do.

Do you want a destination wedding? sounds like it , because you said you were looking at them

i'm not bashing her... but i do think people who throw those weddings, and put an imposition on others is being selfish.

not everyone should have to adhere to their dream.... and i guess you could say if she really cared about her friends and being a true friend they wouldn't want people to shell out a fortune for their wedding.

Archived