Question for women: Which type of male physique do you prefer?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not muscular, that's for damn sure. Certainly not fat either.

I'm tall and thin. Have muscle, but very little fat. Either B or C, I don't know. (I didn't like his/her distinctions anyway.)

My last boyfriend was 5'11 and 135lbs. He was beautiful. Not sure if you are less than that, but there will always be someone out there who likes your body type.

I just think it's funny that people have a preference for people's reasons and methods of exercising.

If he's a sweet guy and he looks good, why should it matter whether he plays team sports or goes to the gym?

For me it matters because if I end up wanting to really be with the guy, long term, well there are health and body issues that I would necessarily be a part of later on.

Like, if a guy looks good and is sweet, that is great, but I'd prefer to know that I don't have to worry about sitting in the hospital in my 40's unnecessarily taking care of my guy. Unnecessarily because he could have prevented a heart attack or other silly injury.

Could be why the beer gut is so unappealing. It has heart attack and diabetes written all over it.

For me it matters because if I end up wanting to really be with the guy, long term, well there are health and body issues that I would necessarily be a part of later on.

Like, if a guy looks good and is sweet, that is great, but I'd prefer to know that I don't have to worry about sitting in the hospital in my 40's unnecessarily taking care of my guy. Unnecessarily because he could have prevented a heart attack or other silly injury.

Could be why the beer gut is so unappealing. It has heart attack and diabetes written all over it.

No no no, that's not what I mean. I meant that people are saying they prefer someone who plays sports over someone who goes to the gym. Both of these things are going to be beneficial to health, so why should it matter about their preference.

I totally agree about the health benefits of exercise.

No no no, that's not what I mean. I meant that people are saying they prefer someone who plays sports over someone who goes to the gym. Both of these things are going to be beneficial to health, so why should it matter about their preference.

I totally agree about the health benefits of exercise.

I don't choose one over the other; someone can do both. I certainly do!

But I have a preference for someone whom works out as part of their sport/lifestyle over all rather than to just look good or put in their minimum for health reasons.

For me it is more about lifestyle I think; if someone goes to gym just to look good and is not into sport, outdoor activities and so on; chances are greater are lifestyles and interests will vary too much as I want to be with someone whom chooses to lead an active life overally (i.e. spend time in the outdoors camping, hiking, mountain biking, playing intramurals with friends, whatever).

This is just from personal experience where I have been with someone whom was a gym rat; but had little understanding for my own desires to pursue my outdoor hobbies, and was not into going camping and so on. So I may be biased in that sense.

Someone whom spends their time at the gym all the time and is not into pursuing activities through sport, outdoors is not someone I will likely be compatible with in lifestyle and that causes difficulties down the road for spending time together or apart just in my experience. I go to the gym too, but it is PART of a much broader active lifestyle.

It is not a bias against people whom go to gym; like I said I do my strength training too, it is more about choosing someone with a compatible lifestyle overall.

It is hard to explain, but really it comes down to lifestyle compatibility being very important to me. Certainly not the same; my partner and I have many divergent interests and are very different people in many respects, but it is nice sharing many adventures together, and desiring similar ways to spend out time like taking vacations in Moab to go mountain biking, etc.!

Its a waste of energy because it does nothing for the greater good. You may stay fit, but what have you accomplished? There is nothing done by it beyond the sphere of you.

If I'm going to use my energy to do something its going to be effecting the world outside of me. Thats my point. The use of the energy.

So you're saying I should lift weights at a homeless shelter ?

Playing sports and going to the gym is something I do. I play baseball, basketball, go to the gym, do cardio and do yoga.

It's good for you and fun (well not the cardio lol).

If I had to choose a physique that looks best on a guy, it would be the toned one. Big shoulders do look cool though too.

guys with extremely huge muscles are gross looking in my opinion...and i'm talking about the really big ones that look like they're on steroids...it just looks unnatural and makes me cringe. but i can't stand guys that are skinny, as in like real real skinny with toothpick legs, that's a turnoff, and guys like that seem kind of weak and almost feminine to me. guys that are a happy medium. if he's got a little extra weight its not that big of a deal. but in reality like someone said earlier its not the body that matters as much as the mind inside of it. if i were to connect real well with an extremely skinny guy that i wouldn't initially call attractive the person would become attractive because of his personality, sense of humor, mannerisms, etc. same if it was a heavier guy, if we get along real well and have that connection, the fact that he's a bit heavier is irrelevant.

I just think it's funny that people have a preference for people's reasons and methods of exercising.

If he's a sweet guy and he looks good, why should it matter whether he plays team sports or goes to the gym?

I completely agree. My man was born lucky. Built like Tyrese works out only twice a wk, eats whatever he wants. I hate him for it! But he's gorgeous and the kindest man I've ever met.

I think it's the work put in that people admire.

It's like a person who has money because of an inheritance versus someone who worked his way up there. One has to admire the latter more.

If someone is in great shape only because of genetics, and they never work out and eat anything they want, it's great but it isn't an accomplishment. While the person who works out and eats well shows that they are willing to work at something hard.

I think it's the work put in that people admire.

It's like a person who has money because of an inheritance versus someone who worked his way up there. One has to admire the latter more.

If someone is in great shape only because of genetics, and they never work out and eat anything they want, it's great but it isn't an accomplishment. While the person who works out and eats well shows that they are willing to work at something hard.

In reference to my post about my b/f-he eats what he wants but what he wants IS healthy. We're both that way. When I say eats what he wants, I mean he doesn't deprive himself when he's hungry, and does't take any supplements to enhance his size or strength. Yes, alot of it is genetics, but he played college football and is now a highschool football coach. So he works for it, just doesn't have to work as hard as some people.

In reference to my post about my b/f-he eats what he wants but what he wants IS healthy. We're both that way. When I say eats what he wants, I mean he doesn't deprive himself when he's hungry, and does't take any supplements to enhance his size or strength. Yes, alot of it is genetics, but he played college football and is now a highschool football coach. So he works for it, just doesn't have to work as hard as some people.

I know people like this. I have a friend who can basically eat ANYTHING and he is cut up. Meanwhile, I have to eat clean, lift, do cardio, play sports to stay in good shape lol. Go figure heh!

b, c, or d...

Ive dated a body builder before..he was OBSESSED with food and working out.

I once had a large guy (not Dom Deluise huge) who was the sweetest thing ever..but I just couldnt find myself attracted to him! I finally realized it wasnt his looks persay..but his lifestyle. We went out twice and had great conversation but he ate really fatty foods (a whole order of mozzarella sticks to himself, large portion of lasagna which he finished, two desserts) and he was trying to push me to eat more!

CarnelianButterfly, I gotta say, I find a lot of your logic to be flawed. You say that overdoing it at a gym is a waist of time because it does nothing for the greater good of the worl. By that same logic, would you say that spending 2 hours watching a movie is a waist of time? I mean, renting a movie and watching it in no way helps the economy around you, so do you not watch movies? Spending hours upon hours in a gym is not a waist of time if the person doing it enjoys it. I myself am 5"10, 190ibs, and I am looking to put on another 15ibs of muscle over the next year, that is my goal. I enjoy doing this, it gives me self confidence and makes me feel good, thereforeee it is not a waist of time. As for whether someone is attracted to my physique.. well, I do not work out to impress anyone, I do it because I enjoy it.