How do men feel about a size 14 woman?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Men's sizing is more realistic since it actually goes by your measurements and not some lumped range. Female clothing sizes are really stupid because women have vastly more variation in shape then men do, but it is a rarity to find female cuts that go by your measurements.

I'm 5'4" and 175 lbs, I wear a size 14/16, I just tried on some pants today that were 16 in misses, that means they're cut for a waist of 34.5-36in and hips of 44.5-46in, I also tried on a 16w by the same designer, the w means women's which is supposed to be sized more generously ie: wasit 35-37in, hip 45.5-47.5in. The women's cut was smaller than the misses cut, completely opposite of how it should be. In another designer I wear a 14 pant, but 16 in the tops and sometime 18 in tops. Sizes are all manners of mixed up and really are no where near standardized. And most stores sell out of the 12+ sizes before all the lower numbers so its a pain looking for them. Its gotten better of late, but there is still a gap in the products available to women that are bigger than sticks.

Oh get over it...

I'm 180lbs. 5'11 and I wear a.... 31!!!!

Your crying about a 12, and 14.. I wear a 31 for crying out loud!

It's all relative FC - Like I said, for me, I am enormous. I used to be a size 5 in my mid-20s, so yes and quite naturally I am crying about a size 12.

Yeah, which is much nicer than really being offended.

I never knew sizes were so strange..

I guess when you only wear close to 1-2 brands, you never really figure out sometimes a medium, isn't a medium.

However,

I do know that when I used to work at Abercrombie and Fitch, that the womens jeans were "feel good" sizes. Or so thats what I was told.

A woman who wore a 10, could wear a variant of our 8, in a long or short length.

So, a girl who was a 2, could fit a 0, and 0 to a 00...

I think thats since changed, but I've known a ton of girls who loved their jeans solely because they wore a smaller jean size, that fit tighter.

This last round of posts proves the point I made back on page 3....

Realistically, I doubt most men know much about women's clothing sizes. Sometimes I wonder if clothing manufacturers have a clue because sizes can vary greatly from one maker to the next.

Then of course, if you decide to sew your own clothing, the sizing for patterns is different than ready-to-wear....and slightly different between pattern manufacturers.

Then of course, if you decide to sew your own clothing, the sizing for patterns is different than ready-to-wear....and slightly different between pattern manufacturers.

Yep, I sew my own on occasion. I think I'm a 20-22 for most pattern companies. I sometimes make my own patterns from favorite clothing and just skip the hassle of deciding whether or not a pattern will fit. At least with a good dress form you can fit your clothing to yourself better.

.....and then European sizing is all different, too.....

All I want is some clothing that fits properly, is comfortable and doesn't make me look like I'm pregnant, someone's grandma or working the street corner...and I don't want to spend a good chunk of my life searching for it...apparently, that's too much to ask.

I'm just soooooooooooooo demanding. Next thing ya know I'll want to be able to drive....and vote....

I shop at Goodwill and pay $3.50 for blouses that retail $50, it takes time to sort through all the racks, but there are some great finds. I found a pair of Banana Republic khaki shorts that were brand new never been worn and they were the half price color and I paid $1.50 for them. If you go to the Goodwill outlet stores clothing is by the pound, I found a perfect Bob Mackie top and paid pennies for it.

CB, you have a knack for finding good quality clothing at cheap prices. I dont have the patience to go through racks of clothing to look for stuff so I tend to shop one or two stores that I like and look in their sale/clearance items for stuff.

I hover between a size 4 or 6 (although I have gone up to a size 8 before) in pants and I wear most clothing in small or medium sizes. I have more of a height problem than weight. Although I have the body size of a child, I do have the build of a fully developed woman. That makes it hard to shop for me since I have to have sleeves and pants legs altered/shortened a lot of times. Also, since I tend to have large thighs, a lot of the pants and jeans I buy (in order to accommodate my thighs), tend to be real loose at the waist and I have to wear a belt with it.

I dont think clothing sizes for women are designed well because there is so many size variations among women.

You all have no idea how difficult this is for me. I was teased my entire childhood for being too thin.

Damn kids and metabolism change

Oh, how familiar that story is.

Sizes do vary greatly by manufacturer. A good starting point is to take your waist size and subtract 22. But, that's just a point to start looking - most times, depending on brand, you'll have to go up or down one size. That also doesn't take into account the size of your hips.

There are only 2 brands/cuts of jeans that I can wear period. And one is those horrid "mom jeans."

You know I really think a man's opinion of attractiveness changes with age. Now this is just my opinion, guys tell me if I am on the right track. Younger guys are all about a woman's body. But the older a man gets, from my experience, he is more forgiving of flaws in a body (not just weight, but I'm really thinking about stretch marks and a stomach that's not very flat), but more concerned with a pretty, youthful face, nice skin, and hair.

Sounds about right.

Only, I've never been huge on the body. Sure I like a nice fit body, but I don't mind some extras at all. I certainly don't these obese is nice, but as a general rule of thumb, I try to be the heavier one.

I'm all about the face and hair. Infact, a woman with good hair, gets my attention before most.

I think you should learn to sew RW! why don't you take that up as a hobby? maybe take some sewing classes at a nearby university?

Thats a good idea.

RW, its not too hard and sewing machines that just do basic stitching are really cheap now. The local fabric stores in my area have great classes for quilting and garment making. Once you learn the basics its not too hard to extrapolate to the more difficult stuff. I'm friends with an excellent seamstress who I get pointers from when I'm stuck, but I try to do every thing on my own.

Anna,

You're somewhat right about how age affects men's views of women's bodies.

After we see what age does to our appearance, we have some humility.

We accept these things as part of life, and no longer believe the hype about youth being everything. We also appreciate a resiliant and interesting woman with a story to tell. Peer pressure is pretty much over when you hit 40. You don't view your friends new squeeze by her shape, but by talking to her.

I think sizes 10-14 are the most beautiful of all! We aren't unhealthy- too small or too big- and both can give health problems we all know! We have curves in just the right places. I'm short and size 12. I've always been an althlete and always been curvacious (size 14 in high school). More power to the healthy size girls. We are not plus!

We are beautiful with the bodies to prove it!

Archived