Members Sound Off! What's the most valid reason for divorce?

What's the most valid reason for divorce?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most valid reason for divorce?

• Sexual incompatibility
    • Growing in different directions
    • Infidelity
    • There is no valid reason. A commitment is a commitment

you forgot to put abuse in the poll. I don't really see the other reasons as "valid" in all circumstances (although they may be valid in some) but abuse, is always a valid reason for divorce.

See Post #10 for the reason why abuse was excluded.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See Post #10 for the reason why abuse was excluded.

oh, okay, seem to have missed that, thanks!

I think that "growing in different directions" and "sexual incompatibility" (sp?) are things that could most times be worked through, however infedelity is a deal breaker for most.

Curious, does anyone think its possible for a couple to "grow back together" once they've drifted apart?

I don't actually believe in "drifting apart", marriage is hard work, and it's usually when one of you (or both of you) give up on the relationship that you "drift apart" I don't see it has this thing that happens to you, but more a thing you let happen because you aren't doing anything to stop it.

I think a lot of people don't "grow back together" because they don't work at doing so.

I actually have not been married.

I voted for drifting apart, although I think the other reasons are valid reasons. But in my experience, every couple I have known to get a divorce has been because they just "forgot" about the relationship.

But when people get married, there is so much to deal with. And sometimes they choose to have a baby. It's probably easy to forget that you still need to spend time with your husband when you have so much going on.

So I think a lot of times, people don't realize they have been neglecting their relationship until it's too late and then they feel there's no use in working on it.

I do think that once you drift apart, you can grow back together. I think it's just about the effort. You have to find the reason you fell in love in the first place.

Also, another good reason that isn't listed is substance abuse. My dad's cousin got divorced because her husband was an alcoholic and wouldn't quit for anything.. and wouldn't get help. She just didn't want to deal with it anymore..

I used to agree, but as shes2smart mentioned, things change when you're experiencing it firsthand.

If I'd been asked the question before I was married, I probably would have said that abuse or infidelity were the only reasons to divorce. Experience has definitely changed my perspective.

I am curious, how many people who voted thus far have been married and or divorced ??

Married (4 years next month) - only marriage I've been involved in.

I voted "infidelity" (and I was the first one to vote at all )

But infidelity is (and was) a deal-breaker for me in any long-term, agreed-to-be-monogamous relationship. I left my last bf because he was screwing around....I met my husband a couple months later.

I am looking to see how those who werent married are voting compared to those who were.

I guess i feel failed marriages change perceptions. I know it changed mine.

Im not looking to judge anyone by asking my question, so i hope no one feels that is why i am asking.

I am looking to see how those who werent married are voting compared to those who were.

I guess i feel failed marriages change perceptions. I know it changed mine.

Im not looking to judge anyone by asking my question, so i hope no one feels that is why i am asking.

No, it's a good question. And I wish there was a capability in the poll tool for me to have put an additional "Are you married/Divorced/Never been married" button somewhere to get the percentages back. But there isn't, sorry.

married, will be 6 years this year.

this is my first marriage (or should I say only LOL)

I don't really know that there is a "deal breaker" for me other than abuse, however I can't really say that because I think something it's true for all people which is why I said that I had a hard time voting because what may be a deal breaker for some isn't for others, and so forth.

I finally decided to vote as if the question was asking me personally instead of asking my opinion generally because really I can't answer what generally would be a "valid" reason without invalidating someone's feelings.

does that make any sense?

No I have never been married. I voted for infidelity.I don't think that is something I could get passed.

I do feel that alot of people get married to get married. Like some women want the wedding, the parties, etc. I know I want to be married. I have thought of what my wedding would be since gosh forever. I know that I won't settle for anyone to marry. My parents are rare they have been married for 36 years. I know at times they didn't really like each other but then they had a strong foundation on which to lean on during those times. Plus they were friends well are friends.

Marriages are rushed or people think "that thing that he does with his fork bugs me but I will change him." That is the problem you can't change a person. What you see is what you will get. Hopefully maturity will happen but not the little quirks and such they are around for the long haul.

Just my unmarried 2 cents...

infidelity can be forgiven, sexual incompatibility can be worked around... but growing apart and still staying together? that's like slow suffocation to me.

Not to me, I wouldn't stand the idea that I have been replace by another woman or man (LOL), dealbreaker for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the point of continuing if I wouldn't be able to look at him straight in his eyes like before, it would be like I'm with a different person.

Just my unmarried 2 cents...

LOL, that's cute, E. I'm unmarried, too, and I chose "Growing apart." Out of the three choices, that one seemed the most "valid" to me personally, because I feel in a marriage, both partners need to be going in at least the same general direction on several fundamental areas. Or else, yes, you're basically in a prison sentence with a stranger, and a stranger you don't like much, at that.

But that was my answer given the choices. Here in the thread I can also state...people should not marry someone they aren't very sure doesn't share the most important goals, hold the same commitments, etc. I agree, Elektra, many people get married for the wrong reasons, and then they act surprised when they learn how fundamentally different their partner is from them.