Question Re: Tipping Delivery Driver

Hey guys, this may be the silliest thread in the history of silly threads, but anyway... I'm feeling kinda bad right now and wanted to get your opinions.

When you order out from a restaurant and your food is delivered, even though you leave the driver a tip on your credit card when ordering (20% typically), when they actually deliver the food, do you also give them a cash tip in person?

I typically don't but today I had food delivered and the driver had to drive a long ways (the restaurant was not local), and instead of leaving the food by the door like most other drivers do, he rang the bell and gave it to me directly.  He was super nice and gracious and it appeared he was waiting for something, and now that I think about it, could he have been waiting for an extra cash tip?

I am feeling quite bad about this now, I can't shake it because he DID drive a rather long way (20 miles at least on the freeway).

What are your thoughts and is there anything I can do now?  

P.S.  I wouldn't normally feel this guilty but again he did drive a long way, for what I can only imagine is very low pay. 

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I always give a cash tip. 

Just to clarify, in addition to the 20% credit card tip when ordering?  Most drivers leave the food by the door (and I receive a text telling me the food was delivered) so I wouldn't think they expect an extra cash tip.  Same when I get my food delivered from Instacart or Amazon Fresh.

But anyway going forward, if/when they personally hand me the food, I will give them another tip in cash, not another 20% but something just to show appreciation.

Thanks @Seraphim .

I use the app's feature to select 'no contact,' and in the notes I specify <<my courtyard letter, first floor, please leave on bench.>>

I usually get a text or a ring from the deliverer at drop time. If text, I open my patio door and thank the person, and I ask, "Will you receive the tip I specified in the app?" (They always say yes.) If a call, I ask this and get the confirmation.

Bottom line: no need to double tip. If the weather is bad, just tip higher than your typical rate--and enjOy the service and your food.

• Like 2

A 20% tip is generous.  

Prior to delivery food apps, the whole 20% tip used to be only for in a restaurant, where a server checks on you continuously, fills your water, clears your plate, brings you that extra fork when you accidentally drop yours.

To tip 20% for someone to drive over and hand you food is generous in and of itself.

The drivers select where they want to drive.  If they didn't want to drive the 20 miles, they could have declined the request.

I've started selecting Custom Tip for counter service, maybe giving 10%, 15% at most.  Turning an iPad around and asking me to tip 20% (automatic) for carrying my own food, filling my own drinks, bringing my own dirty dishes to the gross area, eating from plasticware....no.

My friend's big bugaboo is those cookie places.  20% for handing me a cookie?  I think not.

All this being said, I dine out a lot, and yes, it's expensive these days.  I'll tip 25-30% on a large bill for great service.  I spent close to $200 this week on one meal including tip, as the service was outstanding.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

A 20% tip is generous

Today for example, on a $20.00 order from my favorite Jewish/Polish deli, it was $4.00.  Not that much for me, but I am sure the driver appreciated it.  

That's my rationale for it anyway.

P.S. Since getting and recovering from Covid, I stay away from supermarkets and get my groceries delivered.  I am fairly certain the supermarket is where I picked the virus up.

Had you sat and dined at that restaurant and spent $20.00, you'd have tipped the same $4.00.

The waiter and staff would have come to your table probably 5-10 times, filling your water, getting you a fresh napkin, asking how your meal was, etc.  Remember, the tip you give at a restaurant gets split amongst bus staff, etc.

You tipped $4.00 for someone to drive to your house and hand you a bag of food.  And likely that in the 20 miles he drove, he had other deliveries too.

That $4.00 went only to him.  Very generous.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Had you sat and dined at that restaurant and spent $20.00, you'd have tipped the same $4.00.

The waiter and staff would have come to your table probably 5-10 times, filling your water, getting you a fresh napkin, asking how your meal was, etc.  Remember, the tip you give at a restaurant gets split amongst bus staff, etc.

You tipped $4.00 for someone to drive to your house and hand you a bag of food.  And likely that in the 20 miles he drove, he had other deliveries too.

That $4.00 went only to him.  Very generous.

I tip the same when I order from a restaurant and pick the food up myself!  And all the person did was bag the food and ring me up!

I guess I am tipping too much, but better too much than too little?   I take after my dad that way, he was always extremely generous with those in lesser positions than himself.  He also encouraged us to help the underprivileged in any way we could (volunteering etc).

Not that delivery drivers are underprivileged but it's very low pay, same with restaurant workers.

Anyway, thank you guys, I feel MUCH less guilty now so this thread and your insight definitely helped! 😂

I would tip higher if it's nasty outside. But I never order food delivered when it's nasty outside. I figure, if it's bad enough that I don't want to go out why would I expect someone else to? I also don't order food from places that are more then 2-3 miles away. Don't want old food that's been in someone's car for an hour. 

I would have upped the tip in the app for a long drive.

4 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

$20 ? Hahahah omg . I went out for lunch with a girl friend today for lunch and I had water as my drink and I paid $32.50 before tip. 

For my family to have lunch out it is about $100. We are 3 people. 

I ordered a roast beef sandwich with Russian dressing on Rye and a pickle for $19.55!  😀

• Like 1

Since Covid I have no hesitation tipping 20% or higher for delivery or any other service. These are the people who risk exposure every day just to earn a living wage during a time that I've relied on them in order to stay safely at home. I can't thank them enough.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, catfeeder said:

Since Covid I have no hesitation tipping 20% or higher for delivery or any other service. These are the people who risk exposure every day just to earn a living wage during a time that I've relied on them in order to stay safely at home. I can't thank them enough.

I definitely do not begrudge the tip at all. I tip 20% or more if I order delivery. What gets me is the fees. The $13 burrito with a $3 tip turns into $27 with various fees. 

27 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I definitely do not begrudge the tip at all. I tip 20% or more if I order delivery. What gets me is the fees. The $13 burrito with a $3 tip turns into $27 with various fees. 

I get free delivery from Grubhub through Amazon Prime of which I am a member so I don't pay the delivery fees.  I pay only tax and tip just like I would if picking it up myself.

Also it's extremely convenient so probably would pay the delivery fees even if it wasn't free.  Saves drive time to/from and as far as groceries go, it saves me from traipsing through the aisles trying to find an item which they're often out of and waiting on those god-awful long lines and risk picking up another virus or something.

This way I get to sit home in my jammies watching a flick, reading, emailing my friends or posting on ENA!  🙂

I joke with people all the time saying one literally does NOT need to leave their house anymore and survive just fine.  Not that I ever would, but if one became incapacitated for any reason, they'd be okay on their own.  Most companies even allow employees to work remotely. 

It has its plusses and minuses and a minus is yes it's very pricey versus cooking at home.

Tonight I AM cooking though!

I can't remember the last time I ordered delivery. With restaurant prices having skyrocketed, cooking a meal and having leftovers tends to be more affordable. If I do eat out, it's generally to go orders. Basically stopped eating in restaurants during covid. As I tend to eat at more mom and pop places I make sure to tip the 20% and I tend to stay loyal and give a lot of repeat business.

2 hours ago, boltnrun said:

One reason why I seldom order food delivery is because of how much I would end up spending. I could pick up the burrito at the takeout window for $13 or I can have it delivered for $27. Easy choice. 

My roommate did do delivery for my birthday last year. She was forced to sign up for an app she didn't want, then charged a rediculous amount of fees. I believe she added a tip as well for the person, since the fees are the apps doing and theres no reason to make the poor delivery person suffer. Suffice to say, we haven't done delivery since.

I never get food delivered anymore (used to many years ago) - If the amazon delivery person knocks n my door with my package (typically in package room)- I don't tip but it's not food -it's a package.  I don't do instacart -too pricey! I wouldn't tip extra in cash and I'm a very generous tipper. The security in my building is too complicated for perishable food delivery 

I do get food delivered, probably once or twice a month. But it has to make sense. The pizza place only charges a $3 delivery fee plus tip, so a medium pizza costs me about $22 and it lasts me three days. That's only about $7 and change per meal. But the $13 burrito that would have cost me $27? For one meal? That's a no. That burrito better wash my car and clean my apartment or something.  

• Haha 3

I personally think tipping has gotten way out of hand. I'm getting requests from drive thru workers at my little home town BBQ place, sorry You're just handing me a bag!

I also hate tipping on apps for delivery, I shouldn't have to bribe someone just to consider taking my business, AND have some of it skimmed off by the card processor and app. I want to hand the driver a wad of cash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, catfeeder said:

We are talking about basically the flu here though catfeeder, not the Bubonic Plague? 🤣

x

• Like 1

As a non- American, I need to say it, your required tipping makes no sense. Tipping is for somebody who did extraordinary job. For example at the restaurant if the service is nice it would be nice to leave the tip. But to require tipping because some cheapskate owner doesnt pay them properly? Heck no! Chase the owner to pay them properly for their job. I shouldnt be required to give somebody the tip just because they have done their job. 

Example in question: He is already being tipped 20%. For just doing his work. That is just insane. He is already being tipped and you are feeling guilty for not giving him more? Why? Do you live in Himalayas and he had to climb to do it? He is already being tipped just for doing his job and is expecting more. Insanity.

PS I am not against tipping and often round up the restaurant bill, for example, if the service was nice. But what you are doing is just pure insanity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh so here is what I started doing in 2020 during pandemic - I get sandwiches from that famous iconic coffee chain  a few times a week - I order via app, I pick up in store. Typically I spend 60 seconds in the store unless it's not ready and often it's just waiting on the counter.  No interaction.  During covid I started tipping each time - not a lot - but each time.  I realized they weren't "serving" me waiter style but because of covid and their risks etc I felt I should.  In the last year once the pandemic subsided some I changed it to every other time.  I go to one of two-three locations and mostly to one. i really don't know if they knew -meaning, the barristas but often they greet me when i walk in and once in awhile my name is fancy on the bag or has an emoji.  Also if it's wrong -which is very very rare -or they're out of the item and I go for nothing they immediately make things right. I like supporting the barristas and I hope the tips go right to them.