Question Re: Tipping Delivery Driver

37 minutes ago, dias said:

Can you live with 58K in California? You can barely live in Atlanta with 58K which is way cheaper. I hear from software engineers in San Francisco that with 200K you are just getting by. True or not I don't know. Although everyone has a different definition of decent.  

SF is nuts!  Not many people can afford to live there.  I think a single person could live relatively well on 58K here in SoCal depending where they lived.  Rents vary from $1200.00 for a small studio in East County (San Diego) up to $5,000.00 for a studio in a luxury high rise downtown or on the beach, or even higher. 

So $58,000 is definitely doable if you live somewhat minimally. 

I thought delivery drivers made $20,000 approx, but then read food delivery (uber eats, grubhub etc) are paid the highest.

16 hours ago, Batya33 said:

When I was a public school classroom teacher I was NOT off the clock when not in the classroom just like professors are not. 

Mother was a teacher's aid for a time. Sister taught 2nd grade. I have a high respect for teacher's knowing all they do. Didn't mean to imply teacher's where ever off the clock, just the opposite. It's not a nine to five job, just the time in the classroom. It's countless hours for not enough pay or recognition. And nowadays you've got political groups trying to dictate what can and can't be taught. Crazy world.

16 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Not a fan of the broad "rich CEOS make too much/are lazy/treat workers badly" It depends. 

Agreed. Higher executives can put in the hours and earn their pay. And I've dealt with plenty of lazy people at the lower levels. It always depends on the individual. But the disparity on average is skewed far to much to the top.

7 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Food delivery driver salaries in California can vary between $16,000 to $58,500

That's a fairly significant range. Yes, those at the top are probably doing okay. But I wouldn't want to get by on $16,000. I'm in California, and I think it would be rather difficult where I'm at. I'd also be curious about their benefits, since pay is only part of the deal. Health care coverage? Retirement fund? I lean to being more generous, but think everyone should pay what you can afford.

9 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Driver Benefit Fee?  Does anyone who gets delivery know what this is for?   I never noticed this before but if they're getting salary (albeit minimal), tip and driver benefits fee of $3.50 for every drive, perhaps they're not doing as badly as I originally thought?

Research Prop 22 from 2020. Not recalling all the details, but I believe their was a push to have gig workers classified as employess instead of independent contractors. That would then make them eligible for various benefits and protections. Uber spent millions funding the measure to keep them as contractors. Driver fees are the "hidden fee" thrown in to cover the cost of providing said benefits. Like most businesses, they pass the costs onto the consumers, tryin to slip it in unnoticed.

https://calmatters.org/economy/2023/03/prop-22-appeal/

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Batya33 said:

Relatedly -does it actually help to rate the driver on the app? I try to every time I use uber etc (rare lately).  I only have rated when it's going to be high.  

I believe it does.  I've had Lyft drivers ask me to give them a good rating.  I usually do rate them.  Unfortunately I have also had to give a bad rating when a very nice, very careful driving young lady picked me up in a car that absolutely REEKED of animal pee and the seat was covered in animal fur (not a seat cover, but animal shedding).  I also gave a negative rating to a man who ran a red light and almost crashed into a car crossing the intersection.  Oh, and the man who went to the wrong location but even though I could see his car he refused to drive the 100 yards to come pick me up.  Or the food delivery driver who left my food on the doorstep of the building next door. 

Those are a few bad examples.  Everything usually goes just fine.

Oh, and thanks to whoever it was that mentioned Amazon Prime provides a year of fee-free GrubHub.  I have signed up!

• Like 1