My stubborn boss

1 hour ago, Alex39 said:

She had mentioned I could get certified in what she teaches, and she was really into me doing it. But it was thousands of dollars- paid to her to teach me.  I couldn't afford that and I had no interest. 

She teaches 11 classes, 11 hours a week at her studio. She cancels a few a week. She likes her time. If she has errands to run or friends ask her for dinner, she'll just cancel on her customers. Her choice completely. I don't care. 

She then leaves her studio and works for someone else at another studio locally teaching a few hours a week.  Then she takes a few private clients 3 to 5 hours a week. So in total she works about 20 hours a week only. 

Making on the low end $3000 a month and on the high end $6000 a month for only 20 hours of work, she isn't doing that bad. Most people, myself included work double that, and we make more money respectfully. She wants a huge salary for herself, but only wants to work minimally 20 hours. You work more, you make more. Between my two jobs, I work a good 50 to 60 hours a week. I make more that way. 

But it's actually not your concern how much she wants to work. If she's only running this business part-time and making more money somewhere else then that's totally up to her. You actually like you're the boss of everything and everyone but you're not.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MissCanuck said:

If the boss wants to make extra money, she should set up a popcorn stand inside the studio and charge a small admission fee for patrons to watch the drama unfold. 

Yup.  It's been years since I took more than a once in awhile fitness class.  My mom is in her late 80s and has been going to weekly fitness classes - a few - yoga and pilates I think? - for years now -it's social for her (she's slim and fit and healthy!) and during covid all virtual but she did it from home.  As far as in person - my mother -gets along with EVERYONE.  She also has that edgy sense of humor but done in a way that she has only slightly offended people who would be offended if you blinked at them. 

But - she talks about the instructor almost as much as she mentions seeing her friends at class- she likes one in particular a lot and likes that she can joke around with her and feel comfortable.  Even my mom who is nice to everyone, never has any issues - she cares about this connection and rapport -it brightens her day to interact with this instructor. 

The environment is a room at the apartment complex I grew up in -no frills at all.  And yes it's free because it's senior citizen programming but she really does care about who the instructor is and she does this just to maintain her physical and mental health. 

It really matters a lot - these forward facing people.  I'm sure she appreciates the behind the scenes people who clean the room, who get the word out about what classes are offered, why they're good for you, etc but especially at her age that connection is really significant and important.  I'm sure she'd go if there was a substitute instructor but it wouldn't be the same.

• Like 1

Great point, @Batya33, about your mom and the social aspect of the classes.

I was driving 45 minutes to an hour each way to a Pilates class every Saturday that I loved, but I quit when they brought in a new teacher for that class that I hated.

My dad passed away at 84.  When he was 58, he had a quadruple bypass, was 50 lbs. overweight, BP through the roof, would smear half a block of cream cheese on a bagel, etc.  He truly took the doctor's advice "to heart" lol, and joined this Cardiac Rehab group.  It was run by physical therapists, and each participant was a cardiac patient with similar issues to my dad.  He lost the weight, brought his BP down, etc., but most importantly, he developed such a bond with the others that he stayed in the group until his last weeks of life.  The night he passed, I got his phone, which hadn't been opened in about 3 weeks, and there were about 40 Voice Mails of "Hey, just checking on you, haven't seen you at the gym".  I spent 2 hours calling each one back.  They worked out together at 6 am, 3 times a week, for over 20 years.  The community that was built from this group of "elderly" people that would have otherwise been forgotten by society was awesome.

So when I read Alex, dissing on these seniors, it makes me really sad.  And yes, Alex, I've read that you've backed off your statements, but only after receiving feedback here.

Again, I'll say it:  Quit this job.  Take your class that's 3 minutes away.  Find a new job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The thing about dragging on older people is some day, God willing, we'll be one of them.  I'm close to being there myself.  Do you want people to speak so dismissively of you when you're in your 60s?  It's also ironic you said you "can't" do her advanced class yet admitted the older people can do it just fine.

Certainly you can find a minimum wage job that's much less stressful for you, where you won't be so disdainful of the business owner.  Maybe hostess at a nice restaurant.  Bonus is you'll meet a lot of people that way.

• Like 3

Alex - do you recognize that it’s unhealthy how you go on and on and on detailing all the faults you find with this woman and constantly implying your superiority to her?   

You’re spending time  with your parents doing it too.  

You dislike her, you disrespect her, you think you’re better equipped to own and run a fitness studio.   We get it.  

Stand by your own values and LEAVE.  

• Like 1

Evening Alex! 

I have only read your first post and no other responses. My gut reaction was - you can have all the business degrees you like, read all the books on it, and have all the technical “know how”,  but what you can’t beat is actually being in the game. Real life experience, especially when it comes to owning your own business, trumps all of the books.

I would advise even though your opinions are valid, and sometimes a pair of fresh eyes can make great and helpful suggestions (because some people just get where they can’t see the wood for the trees) I would also be aware that she has ran this business and has had the idea and got the thing off the ground in the first place, and until you have done the same and walked the walk, business owners are going to find it hard to stomach much criticism from your direction.

If you had ran your own successful company with employee’s for over 5/10 years, she may have been more likely to listen to your advice. 

I realise she has hired you and asked for your help, but people can get ***ly very easy when they feel someone over steps. I get the impression she wanted tweaks; not an overhaul? 

My husband has ran his own business for over 25 years and I have been there for the majority of it. I have worked admin for him also and helped him in other ways before we had our kids. It’s not easy, especially when all the stress and responsibility is yours at the end of the day. Being employed by someone is a completely different ball game. You know your salary is coming and you don’t have to worry about the inner workings and sales and performance or anything much of that. Most employed people get to hang their coats up at the end of the day and stop caring. Self employed people, entrepreneurs, definitely do not! 

I would maybe walk a mile in her shoes before you start taking on business overhaul commissions and help. It’s noble what you are doing, and at the end of the day she did ask you for help, and is paying you, but there is probably a line you have crossed and it may be rubbing her up the wrong way.

x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Alex39 said:

I complain about my debt. But I'm out there working 60 hours a week two jobs trying to at least fix it. I had a bad apartment I was renting. I worked hard, bought my own condo and got out. I complain about getting a better side job, and I'm out there putting in tons of applications elsewhere trying to change it. I want to lose weight, and I've actively doing it. I want to become a better person, so I'm actively going to therapy. I'm wanting to meet men, so I'm actively online dating putting myself out there. 

So at least I'm actively doing stuff. I don't just complain to complain. I say and I do. 

Yep, this is true, and what else is the purpose of this forum but to present our circumstances as we see them and get feedback from others? 

Here's why I wouldn't suggest 'villainizing' the fitness boss, at least until you find yourself happily working another gig. I've found that that's not helpful to ME. Whenever I've made the decision to leave a situation, it makes no sense to keep compounding the lousy aspects of it while I'm still there. No need to keep building my case. That's what I call making my life harder, not easier.

Instead, whenever I've given my notice or I'm within the last couple weeks of a project that's ending--I feel lighter! I feel unencumbered by the problems that I'm leaving behind. I've given myself permissions to enjOy the simplest experiences of just being present. My good energy ramps up, it flows out to others, and they respond in ways that show me beautiful aspects of their personalities and their lives that I'd never gotten to know before. That's likely because I'd never inspired and welcomed it from them before. Maybe I was too caught up in my little misery tunnel? I end up leaving every situation taking with me more friends than I would have ever considered as friend-material while I was in the thick of things.

And here's what I've taken from this: my ongoing goal has become one of learning how to shed that mental and emotional weight WHILE I'm in the thick of things. Hah! So much easier said than done, but hey--that's what we can all USE our experiences to teach us. So I've seriously examined which mental tricks I've been able to turn ON while I'm in 'outta-here' mode, and I use those as my models for hacking through the stuff that would otherwise turn me resentful and p'sssy.

You're on your way out of this gig, and congrAts! for a smart decision. Go Alex! Now see how pleasant you can make your departure instead of stressing about stuff that is no longer your problem. Including opening the classroom. Head high!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

I was driving 45 minutes to an hour each way to a Pilates class every Saturday that I loved, but I quit when they brought in a new teacher for that class that I hated.

This is likely why the fitness boss is worried about keeping her biggest draws to her studio--the instructors who build a following and keep her customers re-enrolling.

However, it was a stupid and unprofessional move to tell one minimum wage employee her idea to raise the salaries of others in the company. The righteousness of that is irrelevant--of course business owners have a 'right' to pay each person according to their perceived value to the bottom line. But those reasons need to be privately negotiated rather than 'shared' with anyone beyond the confidentiality of the payroll accountant.

So debating how Alex feels about that news is kinda irrelevant, because people feel how they feel. However, helping Alex view this as a valid signal to weigh the costs versus the benefits of the job itself makes perfect sense. If I had such a strong inner reaction to something a part-time boss said to me, I'd take the same kind of inventory.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Evening Alex! 

I have only read your first post and no other responses. My gut reaction was - you can have all the business degrees you like, read all the books on it, and have all the technical “know how”,  but what you can’t beat is actually being in the game. Real life experience, especially when it comes to owning your own business, trumps all of the books.

I would advise even though your opinions are valid, and sometimes a pair of fresh eyes can make great and helpful suggestions (because some people just get where they can’t see the wood for the trees) I would also be aware that she has ran this business and has had the idea and got the thing off the ground in the first place, and until you have done the same and walked the walk, business owners are going to find it hard to stomach much criticism from your direction.

If you had ran your own successful company with employee’s for over 5/10 years, she may have been more likely to listen to your advice. 

I realise she has hired you and asked for your help, but people can get ***ly very easy when they feel someone over steps. I get the impression she wanted tweaks; not an overhaul? 

My husband has ran his own business for over 25 years and I have been there for the majority of it. I have worked admin for him also and helped him in other ways before we had our kids. It’s not easy, especially when all the stress and responsibility is yours at the end of the day. Being employed by someone is a completely different ball game. You know your salary is coming and you don’t have to worry about the inner workings and sales and performance or anything much of that. Most employed people get to hang their coats up at the end of the day and stop caring. Self employed people, entrepreneurs, definitely do not! 

I would maybe walk a mile in her shoes before you start taking on business overhaul commissions and help. It’s noble what you are doing, and at the end of the day she did ask you for help, and is paying you, but there is probably a line you have crossed and it may be rubbing her up the wrong way.

x

I see what you are saying. I want to clarify that she just started this business recently. She has not had a business for a long time. 

She's been a traveling teacher for 20 years only working for other businesses at big brand chain gyms. She immediately complained to me that her sales were low and this was a huge complaint every time I saw her. And upon more digging, I uncovered her paying for scammy marketing services, she was paying teachers at the studio to teach classes that were either cancelled or that they never showed up for. She wasn't keeping track of her business or her money. She had month to month subscriptions being auto-taken out of her business accounts for services that she wasn't using and had no knowledge about. She was shocked when I showed her and didn't know she had been paying for these things automatically for a year. I fixed all this and did as she asked. 

She gave out her credit card information and all her social media passwords to one of those phone scammers. She got hacked. Her credit cards used, identity stolen,  and her social media has now been taken over by some overseas entity who posts inappropriate things to her pages. 

She begged me to fix it all for her. And I did. I had to restart new social media pages for her. And I did. Facebook and Instagram won't allow her back on as herself, as they shut down her personal pages due to her identity theft, credit card, account hacking past issues. So I solely run her social media. She's always complaining how she's mad that she can't see her businesses social media. I tell her to go on and make new accounts. She's like - well I don't want new accounts. I told her that if she makes new personal accounts, then I will make her the admin of her pages. I've mentioned it to her multiple times. She refuses to make new personal pages for herself. I've done all I can do. She continues to complain about it. 

She paid this online program thousands and thousands of dollars to give her business advice. They never came to her studio. They never met her in person. They never took a class of hers. I find that fishy, that without seeing your business, your space, meeting you, and taking a class, that they were giving her accurate business advice. They never fixed her website, or her social media. When I got there, she was singing them to the high praises. They told her to jack up her prices and she kept saying how she wants to listen to them, because she invested so much money into having them help her. But her sales weren't going up. 

Finally she showed me what the program was. It was like online business school 101. They gave her courses, lessons, study materials, lectures, tests. It was for a business owner to learn business skills. I actually thought the schooling part of the program was really good. It was all important key things business owners should know and modules teaching it to you. It was like a mini version of college business school online i actually thought it was impressive. Then they meet you once a month on a video call to check in with you. She was meeting with them every month and asking them exactly how to run her business. Then she told me that she never did any of the learning part. She never took the courses, studied, did the modules, never took the tests, never read any of their content, any of it. She essentially just had them tell her how to run it every month on video chat and paid thousands to have them do so. But the point of it was you were essentially supposed to do business school online, without the degree. She never learned, she just wanted them to quickly tell her. I think I would have more respect for her, if she did the lessons, tried to learn, even if she didn't do well, at least she was willing to learn. She told me that all her experience comes from working as a teacher at gyms for 20 years, and watching business owners run the business. 

But she complained that I had no experience because I hadn't run a fitness gym before. I was a fitness teacher at multiple gyms for years and years and worked one year interning as a manager at one. 

Its hypocritical. 

I have absolutely nothing against her older clientele, the classes she teaches, etc. I just find that her class types and her teaching is catered to older people and it's a small market in our area. SHE is the one complaining that she has no young people in the classes and lacks clients. I dont have an issue with it. She does. 

She wants to teach people just exactly like her. That's her choice.  But that scares away people that may just want a fun regular fitness class. I've attended a few of her classes in the past and I felt that it didn't appeal to me as a young 30 year old. I like to be constantly moving, even if it's slow movement, I like to be moving for a whole fitness class.  I felt like I was constantly waiting along, as I was in class with a few 70 year olds and she was constantly stopping to do modifications, to get them more pads, and supplies, to help them get into positions, to move their back or necks, to massage their muscles. I think her service to them was fantastic. But half the class I just sat there waiting for her to finish with them. It just wasn't for me. Luckily I took it for free, but she charges a premium service. If I paid, I would have been mad that I sat all that time. That's just my opinion. I'm entitled to one too. 

I respect the older people in the class. I treat her customers extremely well. I did go out and make her more sales, ad that's what she complained nonstop about. I fixed it. She wants young people, you have to change. You want more sales, you have to change. She told me point blank that she doesn't want to change. I respect that's her business, but then don't expect better results. 

54 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

Yep, this is true, and what else is the purpose of this forum but to present our circumstances as we see them and get feedback from others? 

Here's why I wouldn't suggest 'villainizing' the fitness boss, at least until you find yourself happily working another gig. I've found that that's not helpful to ME. Whenever I've made the decision to leave a situation, it makes no sense to keep compounding the lousy aspects of it while I'm still there. No need to keep building my case. That's what I call making my life harder, not easier.

Instead, whenever I've given my notice or I'm within the last couple weeks of a project that's ending--I feel lighter! I feel unencumbered by the problems that I'm leaving behind. I've given myself permissions to enjOy the simplest experiences of just being present. My good energy ramps up, it flows out to others, and they respond in ways that show me beautiful aspects of their personalities and their lives that I'd never gotten to know before. That's likely because I'd never inspired and welcomed it from them before. Maybe I was too caught up in my little misery tunnel? I end up leaving every situation taking with me more friends than I would have ever considered as friend-material while I was in the thick of things.

And here's what I've taken from this: my ongoing goal has become one of learning how to shed that mental and emotional weight WHILE I'm in the thick of things. Hah! So much easier said than done, but hey--that's what we can all USE our experiences to teach us. So I've seriously examined which mental tricks I've been able to turn ON while I'm in 'outta-here' mode, and I use those as my models for hacking through the stuff that would otherwise turn me resentful and p'sssy.

You're on your way out of this gig, and congrAts! for a smart decision. Go Alex! Now see how pleasant you can make your departure instead of stressing about stuff that is no longer your problem. Including opening the classroom. Head high!

I love this post and advice. I am someone who does tend to wallow. I am content in my plan to leave the job as soon as I can. I know what is best for me and I know what I'm worth. I will be leaving and that's that. I no longer need to vent about it. I did plenty. I don't want to stick in the negative. I'd rather stick in the positive. I am moving on. 

12 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

This is likely why the fitness boss is worried about keeping her biggest draws to her studio--the instructors who build a following and keep her customers re-enrolling.

However, it was a stupid and unprofessional move to tell one minimum wage employee her idea to raise the salaries of others in the company. The righteousness of that is irrelevant--of course business owners have a 'right' to pay each person according to their perceived value to the bottom line. But those reasons need to be privately negotiated rather than 'shared' with anyone beyond the confidentiality of the payroll accountant.

So debating how Alex feels about that news is kinda irrelevant, because people feel how they feel. However, helping Alex view this as a valid signal to weigh the costs versus the benefits of the job itself makes perfect sense. If I had such a strong inner reaction to something a part-time boss said to me, I'd take the same kind of inventory.

And that's exactly what I did. You hit the nail on the head. I was content working for her for the pay, but as soon as she mentioned giving experience based raises to others, then it had me re-evaluate the work I'm doing and my worth. I wish she never told me. But at the same time, I run her teacher payroll now. I would have seen it either way.  And she wouldn't acknowledge my upping her sales as an achievement,  and when I asked for a raise in a really professional way, she downed me saying I'm not experienced or qualified. This was extremely unprofessional and hurtful after all the years, blood, sweat, tears, money I put into my regular career, reputation, and schooling. To be degraded like I was worth less than mcdonalds pay. Yes, mcdonalds is paying more. That's what hurt. 

She can do whatever she wants in her business. I either accept it or I don't. I fully understand that. It's the way she went about it was completely unprofessional and hurtful. 

I don't think anyone on here with years of experience would be happy when they professionally ask for a raise, then being told you are bottom of the barrel after working for many many years. It'd be different if I was a new graduate from college or a student, in my 20s. But I'm not. 

20 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

And to add. If she had just said- put Kathy in at XYZ amount for pay. I still probably wouldn't have cared.

She sat strategically telling me this long story about how Kathy and this other teacher and that teacher have years and years of experience and they add value and have great qualifications. She went on and on pushing how experience equals pay raises. And she was essentially selling me on they should get higher pay. She explained her whole process and reasoning to me. So I, in turn, sold myself to her as someone who brings value too and used her own reasoning to show that in her standards, I too deserve a raise in pay. 

8 minutes ago, Alex39 said:

, mcdonalds is paying more. That's what hurt. 

Please take a more appropriate job next time.  She is not on a mission to destroy you. It makes no sense. You just believe you know everything better than everyone and always feel "shocked" and "hurt" by anything that is any less than treating you as if you're the most important person on earth. 

Please think about how bizarre that is. I took a minimum wage job and I'm shocked and hurt that I'm paid minimum wage. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Please take a more appropriate job next time.  She is not on a mission to destroy you. It makes no sense. You just believe you know everything better than everyone and always feel "shocked" and "hurt" by anything that is any less than treating you as if you're the most important person on earth. 

Please think about how bizarre that is. I took a minimum wage job and I'm shocked and hurt that I'm paid minimum wage. 

I took a minimum wage job and was content making minimum wage just fine. Until she told me that she thinks people with experience deserve more money and she plans on paying them as such. And then when I expressed that I meet those standards of a pay raise as I have experience, she downed my experience and education as worthless to her and not up to her standards. 

Wow, a poster weighs in with  a supportive post and it's like turning the spigot on full force AGAIN for you demonizing this person who gave you a job that, according to you, you NEED. 

I've never heard anyone whine, moan, criticize, and blame others for their own choices as much as I've seen here.  

It's almost like a parody.  

For all that is holy, let this woman relieve you of the terrible burden of working for her.  It must feel awfully toxic to have an employee who is so bitter and hateful around the place.

1 hour ago, Alex39 said:

I had to restart new social media pages for her. And I did...So I solely run her social media. She's always complaining how she's mad that she can't see her businesses social media....

Okay, what is your exit strategy for leaving this in her hands? Will you give her the username and pw to what you've created? If so, why not just do that now?

Just now, catfeeder said:

Okay, what is your exit strategy for leaving this in her hands? Will you give her the username and pw to what you've created? If so, why not just do that now?

I plan on working for her and doing anything she asks until I find another job. I'll give proper 2 weeks notice. And I'll create a sheet for her with passwords and information she needs and be very clear about my exit. I will add her as the sole operator of her social media if I am able. 

When I started the job, and took over for the previous girl in the job, the owner was constantly emailing, calling, and texting the previous employee asking her for passwords, how to do things, information, begging her to even come back temporarily. Eventually the girl stopped answering her. She even left a bunch of her supplies and belongings at the studio and never wanted them back. 

I want to be very clear and give over what she needs so she doesn't beg me for anything after the fact like that. 

13 minutes ago, Jaunty said:

Wow, a poster weighs in with  a supportive post and it's like turning the spigot on full force AGAIN for you demonizing this person who gave you a job that, according to you, you NEED. 

I've never heard anyone whine, moan, criticize, and blame others for their own choices as much as I've seen here.  

It's almost like a parody.  

For all that is holy, let this woman relieve you of the terrible burden of working for her.  It must feel awfully toxic to have an employee who is so bitter and hateful around the place.

There's no need for any of us to read or respond to anything that's personally upsetting--especially to the point where the characterizations in one's response can get the thread closed for the rest of us.

I hope you'll please consider that. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

With social media, you need a person's account to run a business page. Her business social media is attached to my personal social media accounts. I'd pass it over now if I could, but she doesn't have personal accounts of her own under her name. When I suggest she make them, she says no. So I can't add a person as a controller of the page, unless they have a page themselves. 

• Sad 1

I have a file already with all passwords for her. The only piece missing which I've made very clear to her is that she needs her own social media profiles, so I can detach from me and attach the pages to her. She has yet to do this. It's been made clear to her and she is aware she must do this. 

Just now, Alex39 said:

With social media, you need a person's account to run a business page. Her business social media is attached to my personal social media accounts. I'd pass it over now if I could, but she doesn't have personal accounts of her own under her name. When I suggest she make them, she says no. So I can't add a person as a controller of the page, unless they have a page themselves. 

Create a google or icloud or other generic email address for her, then attach that to everything you've created for her. You can list everything for her, and whaa-laa! It's all back on her, and no longer your problem. You can continue to maintain until you leave, but you won't need to hear complaints that are dependent on her doing anything.

From there, if she won't do anything about it, it's her problem--BUT if you won't enable her to do anything about it, then you're enabling the problem. See the difference?

If I give notice,  and she doesn't create her own social media. And doesn't atrempt to take ownership of the pages, I will give her a week after my departure,  then I will close her pages down and let her create her own. 

4 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

Create a google or icloud or other generic email address for her, then attach that to everything you've created for her. You can list everything for her, and whaa-laa! It's all back on her, and no longer your problem. You can continue to maintain until you leave, but you won't need to hear complaints that are dependent on her doing anything.

From there, if she won't do anything about it, it's her problem--BUT if you won't enable her to do anything about it, then you're enabling the problem. See the difference?

So, honestly, this is how I'd love to run the business and how I'd run any business and have in the past. Have a generic business account tied to everything. I don't want to use my personal email on anything.  But because she got hacked- her identity, the business identity, the business email, everything became compromised. We have since secured the email address for the business,but all the accounts we had with that email, vendors like Facebook won't let us use it anymore. They see it as a hacked email address. So we essentially have a business email that only works as an email for messages. She has a personal email of her own that she uses on a lot of the business vendor accounts. She just gives me her password to log in. Her personal email was also hacked, then secured and is not eligible to be used for social media. But other vendors do let her use it. 

It's a really messy situation. When I started there, she had all different emails, passwords, and she is constantly resetting the passwords because she won't write them down. So I write them down and make proper lists and she wont use the list, then she resets them again, and again and again. Vendors have actually locked her accounts and we've had to call them to get them unlocked because she doesnt manage her accounts properly.