The Golden Bachelor ....

All reality TV is fake. Well, scripted. Just like WWE. My late mother watched "90 Days Fiance". That one is at least interesting and couples are at least real. But fake drama is still fake. 

Also, what is "Golden Bachelor"? Is Bachelor now made out of solid 24 carat gold? 😆

• Haha 1

I think it's a nice concept but yep, all "reality" TV is scripted.

My coworker was practically distraught when I told her House Hunters was fake.   Those people have already bought their home and the other two homes they show are decoys.  It's so obvious when two of the three homes are furnished OR when there's a piano or pool table or large couch and the "realtor" says "oh, the owners said they'll include that in the purchase if you want it".  Pool tables and pianos are notoriously difficult to move, hence them remaining in place.  The worst ones are the homes with carpet where you can still see the indents from the furniture that had been moved out for filming.

I have never watched any of the Bachelor shows. I'm proud that I've never seen a single episode of Real Housewives or any Kardashian show either.  I feel my brain cells would start to disintegrate if I did.

In the early 2000s I loved the Bachelor for a few seasons. My friend and I would watch. And dish about it. Also before that - was it called like marry a millionaire?? And then it ended up being a big scandal? He was - surprise surprise- a fake. I haven’t watched the bachelor in many years. I remember when that doctor was the bachelor then had his own talk show / the doctors right ?

10 minutes ago, lostandhurt said:

You do know that they all are fake right?  WWE is more realistic than any of the so called reality shows and it is pretty fake.

People watch though, why is the big question...

Lost

Producers are convinced people love extreme drama.  And judging by the ratings, they are correct.  Those fake shows are rife with fake fights/arguments. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, lostandhurt said:

You do know that they all are fake right? 

Yes but with other reality shows, the producers at least try to make it look authentic.  Like Survivor for example, even though that too is scripted for dramatic effect. 

But this one and pretty much all the Bachelor and Bachelorette shows?   It's a joke how utterly phony they are, this one in particular, it's the absolute worst. 

Two episodes just to see what the hype was, that was about all I could stomach. 😀

Yes, I'm watching it.  I've watched every single season since the 2nd season in 2002.  That couple (Trista and Ryan) are still together, 20+ years later. 

There are so many marriages from the show that are still together, as often, contestants from different seasons end up meeting one another.  

And yes, while there is drama and some scripting, the children these couples have, and the lives they lead post-show, are real.

I love that they chose an older group.  Finding love later in life is something to cherish.  In this series, Gerry (pronounced Gary) lost his wife of 40+ years, shortly after they built their dream lake home.  The love that he had for her is so obvious, and the hope that he can find someone to spend his last few years is something so awesome.

Once he gets down to 3 women, he visits them in their hometowns, which happened this week.  Instead of the younger bachelor contestants meeting parents, he's meeting their adult kids & grandkids.  All 3 of the families he met this week were so warm and welcoming, and he was terrific with all the grandkids.

So yeah, call me a sap, but you asked!  😄

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Yes, I'm watching it.  I've watched every single season since the 2nd season in 2002.  That couple (Trista and Ryan) are still together, 20+ years later. 

Oh!  You bring back such memories -her voice was annoying but loved the whole story and the check ins over the years.

13 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

But this one and pretty much all the Bachelor and Bachelorette shows?   It's a joke how utterly phony they are, this one in particular, it's the absolute worst.

I'm actually amazed these crappy shows still have an audience, to be honest. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

There are so many marriages from the show that are still together, as often, contestants from different seasons end up meeting one another.  

And yes, while there is drama and some scripting, the children these couples have, and the lives they lead post-show, are real.

I love that they chose an older group.  Finding love later in life is something to cherish.  In this series, Gerry (pronounced Gary) lost his wife of 40+ years, shortly after they built their dream lake home.  The love that he had for her is so obvious, and the hope that he can find someone to spend his last few years is something so awesome.

Once he gets down to 3 women, he visits them in their hometowns, which happened this week.  Instead of the younger bachelor contestants meeting parents, he's meeting their adult kids & grandkids.  All 3 of the families he met this week were so warm and welcoming, and he was terrific with all the grandkids.

So yeah, call me a sap, but you asked!  😄

I have no patience for shows like this, but that's really nice. 

12 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

That couple (Trista and Ryan) are still together, 20+ years later. 

I didn't see the shows, but I've read about Trista and she met her husband Ryan when she was The Bachelorette after she appeared on The Bachelor.

It's lovely they are still together after 20 years, but how many other couples have lasted?  Even a year after the show?

I dunno, I can be a romantic sap too, for example I created a thread about the film Casablanca which had a huge impact on me, but The Bachelor?  

Not knocking you or others for enjoying I'm just wondering how you get past the obvious (to me) disingenuous of it.

The episode I watched briefly, Garry had one rose and two women to choose from.  He very dramatically could not choose, lay the rose on the table and left crying because he couldn't choose. 

Did that seem real to you?  

It didn't to me, that's when I turned it off.

2 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

It's lovely they are still together after 20 years, but how many other couples have lasted?  Even a year after the show?

The episode I watched briefly, Garry had one rose and two women to choose from.  He very dramatically could not choose, lay the rose on the table and left crying because he couldn't choose. 

Did that seem real to you?  

It didn't to me, that's when I turned it off.

There are 25 couples still together.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a22862445/bachelor-bachelorette-couples-still-together/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=arb_ga_cos_md_dsa_prog_org_us_a22862445&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-pyqBhDmARIsAKd9XIMK9Tu1xV_VwD2dr1xXufECIlTXlKYJvXxVHaABhODZtWKuR8qjHR0aAopOEALw_wcB

It's ok if you don't like it, that's why there are so many other shows on!  I could never get into Gray's Anatomy, but I get that there are millions who don't agree.  Or Survivor, etc.

And yes, the emotions that are felt do seem very real to me.  These are normal people, not actors, so unless they are Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro in disguise, no one could pull off the emotions they show.  And watching the shows through the end, and following the couples as they move off the show and into their real life, yes, it's very real.  

• Like 1

To add:  I'm 61, and my brother & his wife are both 65.  My brother is this pragmatic, logical person who has never turned on an episode of any reality show in his life.  Thinks they're all so stupid, which I get!

Funny thing:  He & his wife decided to watch "The Golden Bachelor", and they're hooked.

They keep texting my niece (their 30-something daughter)....ok what happens next?  Why is there only one rose?  What do you think he's going to do?  Who do you think he'll choose?

I'm having dinner with them tonight, and it will surely come up as conversation.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

These are normal people, not actors, so unless they are Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro in disguise, no one could pull off the emotions they show. 

That's my point, they are not "pulling off" the emotions they show, at least not imo.  

Bad acting all the way around, but again if you find it genuine, that's fine!  Millions of others do as well which is why the franchise series is still going strong.  😀

Thank you for attaching the link of other couples who have lasted, I did not know that. 

I watched Young and The Restless and As the World Turns -both soap operas -for many years starting in the early 80s and I knew it wasn't real and I got very emotional/teary (and was very happy when Marisa Tomei who was on the soaps as a teen then won the award for her work in My Cousin Vinny!

3 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

That's my point, they are not "pulling off" the emotions they show, at least not imo.  

Bad acting all the way around, but again if you find it genuine, that's fine!  Millions of others do as well which is why the franchise series is still going strong.  😀

Thank you for attaching the link of other couples who have lasted, I did not know that. 

Many of the participants have agents.  I know of one who hired an agent with the specific goal of getting cast on a "reality" TV show.  She applied for several before she got accepted on one.

Shoot, even House Hunters asks that the applicants have "quirks" or something "unique" to make for better viewing.  And yes, those people are acting.  They're pretending to not have already purchased a home.  So of course the actors on The Bachelor are acting!

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

So of course the actors on The Bachelor are acting!

I completely agree, there are directors directing just like with any non "reality-based" show.  

it's really bad acting imo but yeah it's still acting and not to be taken seriously for that reason.

My issue is unlike a movie or regular TV program (even a soap back in the day) with paid actors and directors, they present it to be REAL.

It's not.