The Golden Bachelor ....

Yes, she should be criticized for her choice if it was based solely on apartment size and financial assets. 
The first Bachelorette, Trista, stunned everyone when she chose Firefighter Ryan over Financier Charlie.  20 years, 2 kids, and a major multi-year illness of Ryan, and they’re still together.  She moved to Colorado and he resumed firefighting until his illness prevented him from progressing.  

1 hour ago, Starlight925 said:

Yes, she should be criticized for her choice if it was based solely on apartment size and financial assets. 

Starlight of course if a woman chooses a man "solely" on apt size, money or status, she should be criticizied.

But that's not what I posted or asked .

I said "all things being equal" meaning she loved them both (as Gerry claims to love both Theresa and Leslie), she would choose the man who offered her greater financial security.

I think it speaks for itself that Theresa made it all the way to the final two before Gerry knew anything about her financial status. 

With Trista, there was no one else, Ryan was IT!  So it was different, there was no choice to make. 

She loved only Ryan from what I understand.

I do not understand why Gerry is being raked through the mud for his choice.

That's why I hate SM, people have nothing better to do than to criticize, judge and essentially be nasty. 

Let them be!  Be happy for them assuming it's real. 

Re him lying about his past, he's not the first person to create a facade for the camera.  Present a certain image.  He was probably paid a lot of money to do so, just like other actors in the industry.

Blame the producers of the show, not him.

JMO.

All else equal if I had to make this bizarre choice (bizarre because you really can’t truly love AND want to marry two men IMO - if you do to me it means choose neither.
But - if two men were financially stable and gainfully employed and I was in my situation- meaning as of age 31 I was financially independent and comfortable - and well on my way to that by age 28- I’d choose the man whose career choice I most admired and respected and found the most interesting even if he made less $ in salary.

When it came to potential marriage partners  I’ve never related to a job just being a job unless the person was an artist - meaning- a day job to pay the bills in order to pursue their artistic dreams while possibly going full throttle with the art if it permitted financial stability. Then the art takes the place of a career as far as career related passion and ambition - both of which were essential to me. 

13 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I’d choose the man whose career choice I most admired and respected and found the most interesting even if he made less $ in salary.

Well there ya go.  

1. Aerobics instructor living in a studio apt.

OR

2. Successful stock trader with beautiful home and financial security.

It's a no brainer which would be most admired and respected at least imo.

If you'd respect and admire the aerobics instructor living in a studio more, fair enough.

That said, this isn't about what or who you (or I or anyone) would choose, it's about Gerry's choice. 

One more thought to add fwiw.

Gerry admitted he made his decision after the fantasy suite. 

I realize SM is conjuring up a different story that his eyes lit up or something before that, but that's not what Gerry himself has said.

So, given how madly in love with him Theresa is, she most likely made him feel like a King in the fantasy suite!

What man doesn't enjoy being made to feel like a King by the woman he loves or claims to love?

Assuming this is all real, which I still have my doubts about but choosing to give it the benefit of doubt.

I get he also loves Leslie but she's not as crazy in love as Theresa is so their fantasy suite experience may not have been as special or meaningful to him as it was with Theresa.

So he chose Theresa.

Just something else to consider besides all the hoopla on SM.

3 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Well there ya go.  

OR

If you'd respect and admire the aerobics instructor living in a studio more, fair enough.

That said, this isn't about what or who you (or I or anyone) would choose, it's about Gerry's choice. 

Yes I was responding to your general opinion.  I wouldn't have married an aerobics instructor. I wanted someone -ideally -whose career required at least a college degree and he had solid educational values related to higher education.  I have a lot of respect for aerobic instructors who work hard and really want to help people get fit.  I wouldn't have had enough in common to marry someone who wanted to do that job for the long term.

Many men I knew lived in my high rent district in a studio -no worries.  I likely wouldn't have married a stock trader either - it's not a career I respect enough and depending on his type of success -meaning I did meet some day traders- not for me.  I didn't have enough in common with someone who was a stock trader unless -like I wrote -he did this just to fund being a writer/artist, etc.  Your choice isn't what I was referring to.

I don't think Gerry made any choice relevant to a healthy long term relationship so to me it's not relevant to what anyone would choose in real life for marriage.

10 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I don't think Gerry made any choice relevant to a healthy long term relationship so to me it's not relevant to what anyone would choose in real life for marriage.

Despite my posts defending his decision, I do agree with this^.

It's a TV show.  I'm glad that some couples worked out long term but the odds are extremely low.

But we shall see, stranger things have happened.

Just now, rainbowsandroses said:

Despite my posts defending his decision, I do agree with this^.

It's a TV show.  I'm glad that some couples worked out long term but the odds are extremely low.

But we shall see, stranger things have happened.

Yes.  Also it's so funny what you wrote about large home.  I can afford a large home in an awesome suburban neighborhood.  I don't want one.  I never have except when I thought I might back in my early 20s.  Never lived in one.  For the first 3 months of my son's life (he was born when we'd been married 2 months and 18 days) - we lived in my 550 square foot one bedroom in a gorgeous full service building in an amazing city.  It was tight quarters! But it never would have occurred to me to want to live in a large house in the burbs instead.  I didn't want to.  I still don't.  Our apartment now is twice that size and we can afford a house and don't want one.  So I don't relate to your hypothetical even though it's typical to crave a "large and lovely" home.  

47 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Also it's so funny what you wrote about large home

I think I wrote "beautiful" home, I'll have to read back.  But no worries, I hear ya.

Not sure if you ever read my posts about my brothers and I walking to school and my brothers admiring all the super large homes, mansions really, and myself admiring all the smaller bungalow type homes with white picket fences!  

I haven't changed my opinion after all these years either!

I was raised in a 6 bedroom, 3 bathroom colonial (including master bed and bath), however I had 5 brothers so it still felt tight! 

10 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

I think I wrote "beautiful" home, I'll have to read back.  But no worries, I hear ya.

Not sure if you ever read my posts about my brothers and I walking to school and my brothers admiring all the super large homes, mansions really, and myself admiring all the smaller bungalow type homes with white picket fences!  

I haven't changed my opinion after all these years either!

I was raised in a 6 bedroom, 3 bathroom colonial (including master bed and bath), however I had 5 brothers so it still felt tight! 

Yes- many people like large homes!  Some of my friends live in them.  I like to look at them, visit, tour and would never ever want to live in one for many reasons.  I also didn't want to live in a small house in a suburb.  

You grew up with a large family!

On 11/5/2023 at 6:52 AM, boltnrun said:

I have never watched any of the Bachelor shows. I'm proud that I've never seen a single episode of Real Housewives or any Kardashian show either.  I feel my brain cells would start to disintegrate if I did.

This, all the way! I have not seen any of them either and I am equally as proud that I don’t have or use twitter/x, tik tok, Instagram, Snapchat? Etc. Facebook, that’s it; that’s all I use and only because I have to.

22 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Well there ya go.  

OR

Do you seriously stand behind this? 

The guy supposedly said I LOVE YOU and felt it for the aerobics lady.  

IF (for the sake of argument - personally I don't buy any of this as "reality") he suddenly switched to "beautiful home and financial security" when he found out about those aspects- he's a loser.

As would be a woman if she did the same thing.  And if she were here on this forum she'd be chewed up and spit out.

I'm actually fine with people marrying for money, big boobs, whatever, if that's what floats their boat, but if they "fell in love" with someone of modest means and then dumped them for a rich person all of a sudden ... bottom feeder.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...
On 11/4/2023 at 8:26 PM, Kwothe28 said:

All reality TV is fake. Well, scripted. Just like WWE. My late mother watched "90 Days Fiance". That one is at least interesting and couples are at least real. But fake drama is still fake. 

Also, what is "Golden Bachelor"? Is Bachelor now made out of solid 24 carat gold? 😆

Or solid chocolate in golden foil LMAO 

x

• Haha 1

Color me surprised….not. 
When all of the truths about “good guy Gerry” started coming out, I gave this a short time. 
  Gerry is a liar, a cheat, and  just not a nice guy.  

He broke up with a woman just prior to the show, telling her she was too fat to attend his high school reunion, as she had gained 10 lbs.

This was the woman he cheated on his wife before she passed, the same wife he cried over on the show to melt America’s hearts.  

• Like 1

I'm horrified to read the comment about what Gerry said about his previous GF.  Is there any sort of proof he said this or just gossip? I'm not saying Starlight is wrong about the fat comment but gossip can get out of hand sometimes.  

I saw the interview between Gerry and Theresa about their divorce.  Frankly, if they are parting ways because neither of them want to move, why wasn't it discussed before the marriage ceremony?  Seems odd to me. 

G&T were holding hands, saying they still ❤️ each other and are both still open to finding love.  👍 Great, I hope 🙏 they find it!

Sadly, IMO, I don't think the connection was strong enough (whether he's a player or not) for it to last.  

I

15 minutes ago, Superstickyone said:

Frankly, if they are parting ways because neither of them want to move, why wasn't it discussed before the marriage ceremony?  Seems odd to me. 

I felt the  same!

The comment to his girlfriend about the weight has been repeated many times, and he has never disputed it. 
  He is a broke janitor who put himself out as a “restaurateur”.  Truth is, he owned a local fast food hamburger place, but went out of business and took odd jobs, which is where he met this woman.  While he was married.  She has texts to prove it all. 
   Nothing wrong with being a maintenance person, it’s the lying.  Teresa, his Golden Bachelor wife, has done very well and still works in finance.  It’s long been theorized that her money was his reason for picking her. 
  I believe she did fall in love, but it was only after the wedding that all the truths about him came out. 
  He love bombed her and got her down the aisle lightning fast, before she had time to blink. 

49 minutes ago, Superstickyone said:

I'm horrified to read the comment about what Gerry said about his previous GF.  Is there any sort of proof he said this or just gossip? I'm not saying Starlight is wrong about the fat comment but gossip can get out of hand sometimes.  

Its a reality show. Ofcourse he did said it. Well, better to say it was in his script to say that lol

Wait a minute. A reality dating show failed to produce a couple that worked out in the long run? Next thing you'll be telling is that the winner of a singing competition hasn't become a Grammy Award winning artist.

Outside of a handful of exceptions (probably when these types of shows were still new), do these things ever work out? I imagine the sucess rate has to be pretty terrible. It's really more about people trying to grab their fifteen minutes of fame. Well, that producers figuring out an easy way to make some profit.

11 minutes ago, ShySoul said:

Wait a minute. A reality dating show failed to produce a couple that worked out in the long run? Next thing you'll be telling is that the winner of a singing competition hasn't become a Grammy Award winning artist.

Outside of a handful of exceptions (probably when these types of shows were still new), do these things ever work out? I imagine the sucess rate has to be pretty terrible. It's really more about people trying to grab their fifteen minutes of fame. Well, that producers figuring out an easy way to make some profit.

Only Trista and Ryan from what I know -she was the first Bachelorette.  My friend and I watched it together in the early 2000s for a few years - it was a fun girl thing to do!

I never saw the show, but I saw these two interviewed on Nightline last night. I think they make a good case for why it's important to date locally unless you are the one who's geographically free. Getting hot and heavy while assuming that the other will be the one to move to your location, or unless you're both willing to try out a LD commuter relationship, it's like setting yourself up to shoot yourself in the foot. 

• Like 1

There are actually 24 couples still together from The Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise.

Re:  Dating locally with better results?  Two shows have tried and failed miserably:  Love is Blind and Married At First Sight.  Both of these shows are filmed in a certain city, so all people are from that city.

Heck, on this recent season of Married At First Sight (Denver, CO), 4 of the 5 couples lived together for 8 weeks but never consummated.  

Regarding the 24 couples still together from The Bachelor franchise:  It sounds good until you analyze it.  24 years....YEARS of this show, as the first one was 2000, and many offshoots of the franchise (Bachelor Pad, Bachelor in Paradise, people from one season getting together with someone from another)....

So yeah, going on TV to meet your soulmate is a distant possibility.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, catfeeder said:

Getting hot and heavy while assuming that the other will be the one to move to your location, or unless you're both willing to try out a LD commuter relationship, it's like setting yourself up to shoot yourself in the foot. 

Very true.  We discussed this  the first day we got back together and I was set on relocating for him and I even shared a few dealbreaker places (which we both agreed on).  And I am ready to have to relocate -yet again -for his career if it comes to that and I'm thankful this was settled in a simple but clear way before we embarked on LD.  It's very very hard and very -very worth it.