The Golden Bachelor ....

To clear things up here.  My friend was on bachelor years ago and told me all about the staged arguments, producers whispering in contestants ears trying to drum up drama and worst of all misleading the "contestants". He was an aspiring actor like most of them.

Whether "contestants" are still together or not doesn't remove the fact that it is staged nonsense for entertainment that some people seem to love like watching horrible singers audition for American Idol.

Luckily there are virtually endless options so it is easy to avoid what you do not like.

Lost 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, lostandhurt said:

To clear things up here.  My friend was on bachelor years ago and told me all about the staged arguments, producers whispering in contestants ears trying to drum up drama and worst of all misleading the "contestants". He was an aspiring actor like most of them.

Whether "contestants" are still together or not doesn't remove the fact that it is staged nonsense for entertainment that some people seem to love like watching horrible singers audition for American Idol.

Luckily there are virtually endless options so it is easy to avoid what you do not like.

Lost 

Yes there is an interview going around of one of the women he really wanted to be with but his chosen one was already selected by the network. They hooked up after the show was over. 

Update:  

I have no idea what's happening on this show except for what I've read which is (1) that Gerry (72 year old "bachelor") has told every woman contestant that he loves her and apparently they all believed him!

Then I read the comments.  Some of them are pretty funny but this one really had me laughing and imo at least, it's so true!!

>>In 3 months Gerry will be single and using his fame...dating 30yr olds. Go Gerry!<<

I dunno, I thought it was hilarious!

OK back to real life.  😀

• Haha 1

I have been watching it, so I have a very different take.

At this stage of life, finding oneself single due to divorce, widowhood, etc., it's like the movie "Cocoon", where teenage feelings that one thought were long gone are reawakened.

These women are fabulous.  The most recent episode was the "Women Tell All", which is where all the women sit on a stage and talk about their experience.  Overwhelmingly, the women were amazing.  They developed bonds with each other, and they spoke of these reawakened feelings where you fall in love, again, at this age.  

On this show, once the Bachelor (or Bachelorette) makes their final choice, they have to keep it a complete secret (contractually) until the show airs, which is usually several months.  So the show flies them to different locations so they can spend time together, alone.

I say this because a friend just met Gerry in the airport!  She was with her family, and he stopped to take pictures with him.  Apparently, he's flying to rendezvous with his final choice.  In her pics, he looked handsome and was a good sport when my friend hugged him.

Even if he turns out to be a massive jerk (always possible!), the show has become about the women, the bonds they've formed, the hope that's been renewed in them.

• Like 4

Yea, all these reality shows are scripted. Does that stop me from watching Survivor? No. I love the physical competition, the social and mental games 😈

I echo Starlight's comments about the relationships between contestants.

I think most of the bonding is real because most people are good (call me an optimist) even if on the show, they're all about fame and fortune. Humans are complex - they're multifaceted. When humans are vulnerable with their emotions, they do wear their heart on their sleeves and it opens them to bond with another person who can relate or want to comfort/support them.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched the Golden Bachelor and last nite was the final episode. Although the show is not in a natural environment, the interpersonal dynamics fascinated me.  We saw  limited aspects of the developing relationships for sure.  However, I love ❤️ to see what makes chemistry between 2 people.  It's far from just looks and what people wear. 

Gary chose Teresa. She's fairly average in looks but Gary emphasized other attributes like her wit and smart mind, plus evidence of her superb relationship skills.

Goes to show that you can focus alot on your appearance for a man.  But what solidified their connection were those other things.

It taught me to focus not so much on my appearance but developing my character, intelligence, and ability to give and take in a relationship. 

• Like 1

I’ve been the biggest Gerry supporter since Day 1. 
  Turns out, he’s been a lying jerk all along.  
There are online articles about it, just look it up. 
Rumor has it he only chose Theresa for her money, which makes sense given all that’s now coming out about him. 
  I’m so disappointed. 

• Sad 1
19 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

I’ve been the biggest Gerry supporter since Day 1. 
  Turns out, he’s been a lying jerk all along.  
There are online articles about it, just look it up. 
Rumor has it he only chose Theresa for her money, which makes sense given all that’s now coming out about him. 
  I’m so disappointed. 

Why am I not surprised.  It's all fiction. 

This is a statement from Leslie, the woman he didn't choose in an interview after the show ended.  She accuses Gerry of lying and deceiving her.

>>She admitted it was “mind-boggling” to her that, 12 hours before, they were telling each other they were in love and she was meeting his family. <<

Apparantly, they had an overnight as well and we can all guess what happened there. 

This is just wrong.  And basically fraud.  It messes with people's emotions, and for what?  Ratings?  Money?  

This show should be banned.  Granted I do blame the women for deluding themselves that this is in any way real, but still. 

It's fraud.

56 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

I don't believe rumors but if true, he wouldn't be the first to want on the show for opportunistic reasons

@Starlight925 you mentioned in a previous post you've watched every season?

Remember Jillian and Ed?  I did watch that season. It was something like 12-13 years ago before I learned what goes on behind the scenes.

Apparently Jillian fell HARD for Ed which I did believe but HE was totally using the show as a path into Hollywood.

And Jake Pavelka and Vienna?  I didn't watch but read all about it.  It was a complete joke, he was also using the show as a path into Hollywood.

I'm surprised the show hasn't been sued by former contestants or maybe it has but settled quietly.

@Batya33 the wedding is still on but would bet my 401K it's not gonna happen.

• Like 1

It turns out, Gerry was lying along, prior to coming on the show.

He was sold to us as this sweet widow, mourning the love of his life Toni, saying he hadn’t had a date in over 40 years.

Recently, a woman came forward with text messages and other evidence to show that she, in fact, had a long relationship with him starting three months after Toni’s passing.

They even lived together for about a year.

This woman spoke of Gerry’s controlling nature. Now, of course, she’s an ex of his, but he told us all he hadn’t had so much as a date.

Over the year that they lived together, she gained about 10 pounds due to stress. When she was getting dressed to go to his high school reunion with him, he looked at her and said “You’re not coming looking like that. “

He also had said that he was a retired restaurateur.   Which is technically true, but it was actually a burger chain where he had purchased a franchise. Not a big deal, but he wasn’t this lonely guy living on a lake alone in his dream house. He was actually a maintenance man at a mental hospital and also installed hot tubs.

Just a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

In this previous relationship, she said that he made her pre-pay him for dinners that they were going to eat out so that he could pay the bill and look like the big man.  Things like that.

After they broke up, he dated multiple other women and was actually on vacation with one when he got the call to be The Golden Bachelor.  He promptly broke up and signed on.

In one of the last episodes, he was asking Theresa about her occupation.  it turns out, she began trading stocks years ago and has an SEC license and is very financially savvy. You definitely saw his wheels turning, and his eyes light up like a slot machine.

There are definitely bachelor couples who are still together, but this is one I actually hope does not last.

The wedding is going to be televised on January 4, quite frankly, it wouldn’t surprise me at all, if they planned it this fast due to all of this coming out, so that Theresa barely has time to blink, let alone cancel.

I just hope she gets a prenup.

And yes, I stand corrected. I bought into this charming, sweet man and I’m so disappointed.

• Sad 1
20 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

And yes, I stand corrected. I bought into this charming, sweet man and I’m so disappointed.

I'm sorry you're disappointed Starlight, I could tell you were pretty invested in the outcome.

My guess is the wedding will be televised but something drastic and dramatic will happen right before the "I do's."

Like Gerry announcing he's really in love with Leslie and wants to marry HER.

Lots of tears and such then we'll see Gerry calling Leslie and telling her he made a mistake and SHE'S "the one."

She'll act surprised even though it's all been planned beforehand.  All very dramatic of course.

They (Gerry, Leslie and Theresa) are all being paid A LOT of money to do this and play their parts... lol

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

I'm sorry you're disappointed Starlight, I could tell you were pretty invested in the outcome.

My guess is the wedding will be televised but something drastic and dramatic will happen right before the "I do's."

Like Gerry announcing he's really in love with Leslie and wants to marry HER.

Lots of tears and such then we'll see Gerry calling Leslie and telling her he made a mistake and SHE'S "the one."

She'll act surprised even though it's all been planned beforehand.  All very dramatic of course.

They (Gerry, Leslie and Theresa) are all being paid A LOT of money to do this and play their parts... lol

Either this^ or Gerry announces right before his "I do" that he's still in love with his ex, who's been in on the fraud the entire time.

She is also being paid a lot of money to make it all seem very believable behind the scenes in interviews etc and successfully pull it off.

Drama, drama, drama that's the real name of the game.  And money.

In any event, this so called wedding is not going to happen but will nonetheless make the producers a lot of money. 

That's my prediction anyway. 

Enjoy!!  😀

I do think the wedding will happen because it’s being broadcast on ABC and the network is sending them immediately to Italy for “dream honeymoon “.  They are contractually obligated at this point.

The couple is scheduled to then move from both of their hometowns to Charleston South Carolina.  Gerry lives in Indiana and Teresa lives in New Jersey. They both have adult children and grandchildren with whom they are close so the move will put them far away from both of their families.

I did watch the entire show, and Teresa fell for him, hook, line and sinker.  I’m afraid she will be one of those women who will “stand by her man” regardless of what comes out about him.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Watch her talk.  Botox, hair extensions, fillers.  
On the Message Boards, they’re saying she looks like a muppet.  Very odd-looking woman. 
 But all the women looked great.  All were 60+, and the only redeeming quality of the show was watching the bonds these women formed.  

I don't see any "good for her" in a woman who looks younger - I do see it in a woman who looks healthy and fit whether there are wrinkles or age spots etc (I have both -I choose not to do any sort of procedure or Botox but I have been coloring/highlighting my hair for the last 22 years).  I value keeping slim and fit -I've done both for basically all of my life and looking alert, alive as a default.  Good posture, carrying myself with confidence (especially since I am petite).  I don't relate at all to women wanting to hide wrinkles to the extent of doing botox or hugely expensive creams etc (yes I do my drugstore moisturizer and went back to wearing makeup daily about 6 months ago- feel better about myself).

What sort of accomplishment is it for a person to get elective procedures to look a certain way? I just don't see it.

The compliment that meant the most to me was when my niece said "Aunt Boltnrun, you look so healthy!"  This was after I had started recovering from my bout with debilitating anxiety and I had gained back most of the nearly 30 pounds I had lost as a result of the anxiety.  She called me "healthy"!  

I know if I wore Spanx and a "lifting" bra and had multiple procedures that attempted to erase natural aging and had a professional doing my hair and makeup daily and was provided with an expensive wardrobe and was lit with flattering lighting I might look great too.  LOL

Nothing wrong with wanting to look our best, but I would rather accept my aging and do it as healthily as possible than go through several hours of preparation every day in an attempt to look a few years younger.

Anyway...I think everyone knows these shows are all scripted entertainment performed by actors.  They're popular, which is why they continue to be successful. 

• Like 1

I'm shocked to learn all.of this about Gerry.  I can see how Leslie was upset.  Maybe in the moment he felt she was the one (and said I love you) and it all changed after the overnight with Theresa.  He may have loved both of them but it was stronger for Teresa. Everyone has to realize when signing up for the program that they may be hurt or rejected 😕.   It's part of life to be rejected.  Leslie's pain was real for certain 💔 and no one should discount that.  It wasn't meant to be.  When you've been alone for so long and then you open your heart, that open door (and the pain) tell you love is possible.  You can still love someone, as long as your heart stays open.  Sounded like Leslie hadn't dated anyone in many years.

I hope the rejection doesn't destroy her confidence 🙏

Some of the prior comments on here suggest Gerry is a player. Who knows what the truth is as the show was contrived at best.  

I really hope it works out for everyone involved!

16 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Watch her talk.  Botox, hair extensions, fillers.  
On the Message Boards, they’re saying she looks like a muppet. Very odd-looking woman. 

^^I just watched the recap of the "fantasy suite" episode and see what you mean Starlight.  And take back what I said about looking in her 30s. 

I would now say 50s, which is still 20 years younger, so hell yeah good for her for maintaining her health, weight and skin as well as she has.  I mean come on, she's 70, give her a break. 

Obviously she's doing something right other than botox and fillers which will ultimately distort one's appearance if used regularly for years.

She also seemed like a very warm and genuine person.  Kind and sweet.. 

I hope Gerry chose her for the right reasons. 

Yes, Theresa is a genuine person.  On the hometown dates, they went to her city and met her kids, grandkids, and her sister. You can see the genuine love the grandkids have for her, and she even says that she sees them every single day.

But she fell la-la over her head in love with Gerry, which I’m afraid is clouding her judgment in that they are moving to Charleston.

Yes, she looks amazing for her age. Dolly Parton has nothing on her. Lol.

Gerry said that the fantasy suite date changed everything and he made his decision to go with Teresa over Leslie in some scenes that we didn’t see.

Given what we now know about his financial history, it wouldn’t surprise me if Teresa pledged to come through for him financially.

I hate to be this pessimistic when I’ve been the optimist on this topic, all along, but moving someone away from their family, and all that they love is a classic first step in emotional abuse.

4 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

Gerry said that the fantasy suite date changed everything and he made his decision to go with Teresa over Leslie in some scenes that we didn’t see.

Given what we now know about his financial history, it wouldn’t surprise me if Teresa pledged to come through for him financially.

Or perhaps they clicked better sexually? 

Did Gerry not know how financially savvy she is and her financial sitch until the fantasy suite episode? 

He went to her hometown, spent time with her family, saw her home, how could he not have known until the fantasy suite?

2 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Or perhaps they clicked better sexually? 

Did Gerry not know how financially savvy she is until the fantasy suite episode? 

He found out right before fantasy suites. He asked her about her occupation. At 70, she’s still working in the financial industry.

On many message boards, it’s being pointed out how his eyes lit up when he realized how financially savvy she is, and when they went to her hometown, and he saw her home, which some have estimated at north of $2 million, his shift changed with her. 

I think he clicked better physically with Leslie, but Leslie is an aerobics instructor living in a small studio. In fact, on Hometown dates, they couldn’t even use Leslie’s apartment because it was too small for filming.

Maybe they’re in love, and they’ll walk off into the sunset and life will be grand for them. I just no longer have faith in this.

24 minutes ago, Starlight925 said:

I think he clicked better physically with Leslie, but Leslie is an aerobics instructor living in a small studio. In fact, on Hometown dates, they couldn’t even use Leslie’s apartment because it was too small for filming.

Well to be fair, and all things being equal (he loved them both as he claimed), if a woman had the choice between a man working as an aerobics instructor or physical trainer living in a studio apartment and a man who was financially savvy with a net worth of 2 million, who do you think SHE would choose? 

Do you think she would be criticized for her choice?  I don't think so.

I don't know, I haven't watched the actual episodes and only reading what's on the internet and have learned to never fully trust what's on the internet, so don't really know.