Supporting ex with no end in sight

My BF of 1yr is paying the mortgage and all of the bills for his ex (never married, teenage child of theirs lives in the house). The house is his, but he doesn't live there, spends half the week and half the week with his family. The ex does not or drive or provide anything for the house or teenager for 3 years. His excuse is fear of alienating child, but when I ask if he plans to do this for the rest of his life, he won't tell me yes or no. He has told me several times he is going to insist the ex at least provides something but won't follow through. Obviously, this has a huge financial impact on him and us in the future if we are a couple. Any thoughts

2 hours ago, desilj said:

My BF of 1yr is paying the mortgage and all of the bills for his ex (never married, teenage child of theirs lives in the house). The house is his, but he doesn't live there, spends half the week and half the week with his family. 

Unfortunately he is still living very much like a family with his GF and child. What reason did he provided as to why they broke up? 

Have you been to his house or his parents house? Does he stay at your place? It seems like he's stringing you along with the "staying for the kids" excuse.

You've been dating a year so it may be time to reflect if you want to be on hold and on the side for much longer. 

• Like 2

Even if he wasn't paying for the mortgage this situation is not good for you.  He hasn't ended the relationship with his ex before dating you.  If he was serious he would have worked out child support and living arrangements with her and to have her live somewhere else rather than his home.

He has had plenty of time to figure all this out but he is just cruising along with you in tow.

Lost

• Like 2
On 11/1/2023 at 3:19 PM, desilj said:

His excuse is fear of alienating child, but when I ask if he plans to do this for the rest of his life, he won't tell me yes or no

This is a classic excuse, on the same idea as "we sleep in different rooms" "I'm  staying for the kids sake", etc.

If he wanted to find other resources he'd find a way, if not he'll find an excuse.   Your call...