Dates from Meetup

I go to these frequently, never dated anyone from it but I have had people try to hit on me. One of the guys I know from meetup met his wife at one of the meetup events and they’re married now. 

If you’ve hit it off with someone why would it be any different than dating having met anywhere else?

id advise against using the app as a dating app, though, unless the event is specifically for that. Reason being is some people are genuinely at the event just to have fun, not to get hit on 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NighttimeNightmare said:

I go to these frequently, never dated anyone from it but I have had people try to hit on me. One of the guys I know from meetup met his wife at one of the meetup events and they’re married now. 

If you’ve hit it off with someone why would it be any different than dating having met anywhere else?

id advise against using the app as a dating app, though, unless the event is specifically for that. Reason being is some people are genuinely at the event just to have fun, not to get hit on 

Yeah exactly. I agree with you on the last paragraph. The group I’m with now, which is a singles group, a few of the people at the event today started talking about the people they are dating. Which tells me that the group is designed for meeting other singletons to hang out with. Not so much for a dating pool.

Yet, I’ve read so many articles across the Internet that suggest Meetups to single people to meet others. 

43 minutes ago, beatlesfan77 said:

Yet, I’ve read so many articles across the Internet that suggest Meetups to single people to meet others. 

Because it’s a great resource to get out and meet people, esp other single people.  There are groups designed for non-partnered people, I’m part of several. 

However, there’s a difference between going to a meet up event and meeting people who you may or may not end up dating as your connection with them progresses, vs going to a meet up event and using it to hit on people 

55 minutes ago, NighttimeNightmare said:

Because it’s a great resource to get out and meet people, esp other single people.  There are groups designed for non-partnered people, I’m part of several. 

However, there’s a difference between going to a meet up event and meeting people who you may or may not end up dating as your connection with them progresses, vs going to a meet up event and using it to hit on people 

Right, the ones that go and use it to hit on people end up being the creepy ones.  Which is not how you want to be looked at.

• Like 2

Meetups are more for meeting like-minded people. For example I found a nice bicycle riding from vineyard to vineyard and wine tasting in my country. But I cant expect to date somebody from there. Just maybe to meet people who share similar interests. So go with that in your mind. If you meet somebody and you hit it off it would be great but otherwise just go on something you like and have fun.

• Like 1

I have one friend who met his wife in 2006 through a monthly dinner event for singles to meet and another who met his wife through a Craigslist add for a cycling partner. They did cycle together first and were friends before they dated. So - similar. Another met her husband through a salsa dancing class. He was her instructor. 

20 hours ago, beatlesfan77 said:

Sure, this is advantageous beyond finding a date inside the group itself.

What do singles like to do? Find other singles with whom to do stuff, as opposed to hanging out with only their coupled friends.

Enjoy!

If you are sincere about your interest in what ever the activity is then meeting someone with similar interests is a lot higher than OLD or a club so it is a good thing there.  I agree if your sole purpose is to him on singles then it won't take long before you are labeled as such and possibly ruin your chances with someone.

Church is no different right?  Even volunteering.

Lost

• Like 1
6 hours ago, boltnrun said:

I used to belong to a Meetup group that was specifically for singles looking to date. I was in my 40s, so this group was for those in their 30s and 40s. People dated within that group all the time. 

What meetup groups are you a member of?

Hi Bolt. The group I went to an event with this past weekend is called ‘30s and Thriving’. However it also includes people in their 40s which I am. It was a brunch event at a restaurant nobody had been to. Then a couple of weeks before that I went to another one with the same group which was at a board game café. Had a great time at both of them. There is a sushi happy hour one coming up next week that I’m also looking forward to. One of the attendees is a girl that I want to get to know more about if she shows up. Just going to play it cool and ask her open ended questions. There is also another dining group that I was going to look at. What made you leave the one that you were in?

21 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

Meetups are more for meeting like-minded people. For example I found a nice bicycle riding from vineyard to vineyard and wine tasting in my country. But I cant expect to date somebody from there. Just maybe to meet people who share similar interests. So go with that in your mind. If you meet somebody and you hit it off it would be great but otherwise just go on something you like and have fun.

Yes exactly!  Go there to enjoy the experience and getting to know others. If something more comes out of it then it’s a bonus. 

17 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I have one friend who met his wife in 2006 through a monthly dinner event for singles to meet and another who met his wife through a Craigslist add for a cycling partner. They did cycle together first and were friends before they dated. So - similar. Another met her husband through a salsa dancing class. He was her instructor. 

I was thinking of checking out what kinds of dining groups there are. Getting tired of eating alone all the time. 

• Like 2
On 8/26/2023 at 8:02 PM, beatlesfan77 said:

I was curious if any of you ever dated somebody you met at one of your Meetups?  If so, how long did it last?

I'm currently dating someone from our local singles group (not Meetup-based, it operates by word-of-mouth).  The total membership is around 100 but there are perhaps 40 active members (mostly women) and we join with another singles group slightly out of our area, once a year for an event (that one is also mostly women as these things are).  That group is led by a married couple who met through that group.  Our original group that I'm in has seen 3 couples marry in the past 2 1/2 years or so, and another separate group that has since disbanded saw many marriages, around 5 or 6, in the few years it was in existence.  That seems like a decent success rate.

I originally joined this singles group to do activities INSTEAD of dating.  So much for that.

4 hours ago, waffle said:

I'm currently dating someone from our local singles group (not Meetup-based, it operates by word-of-mouth).  The total membership is around 100 but there are perhaps 40 active members (mostly women) and we join with another singles group slightly out of our area, once a year for an event (that one is also mostly women as these things are).  That group is led by a married couple who met through that group.  Our original group that I'm in has seen 3 couples marry in the past 2 1/2 years or so, and another separate group that has since disbanded saw many marriages, around 5 or 6, in the few years it was in existence.  That seems like a decent success rate.

I originally joined this singles group to do activities INSTEAD of dating.  So much for that.

That’s an interesting way to start a new group. I imagine it’s also better to be word of mouth based. Otherwise you probably get a lot of garbage coming in.  

On 8/26/2023 at 5:02 PM, beatlesfan77 said:

Happy weekend, everyone!  I was curious if any of you ever dated somebody you met at one of your Meetups?  If so, how long did it last?

Hi Beatlesfan,

So I went to a number of meetup groups and I never dated anyone. However I met people in local meetup groups who met their significant others in  meetups. So yes, it can happen.

I don't recalled getting "hit on" but more like people just being interested in talking to me if I showed up more than once because that sort of "keep showing up" opens the door for people to come over and say hi.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LootieTootie said:

Hi Beatlesfan,

So I went to a number of meetup groups and I never dated anyone. However I met people in local meetup groups who met their significant others in  meetups. So yes, it can happen.

I don't recalled getting "hit on" but more like people just being interested in talking to me if I showed up more than once because that sort of "keep showing up" opens the door for people to come over and say hi.

Hi Lootie. I agree that would be the ideal way to go about it. Just keep talking to those who are repeat attendees and get to know them better over time. The first two events I have gone to with this group have included completely different people. Hopefully the third one coming up next week there will be at least a couple of familiar faces. As long as they don’t drop out at the last second.  

• Like 2

After my first marriage ended, I went to three Meetup events for singles in my age group. Though on those three events I didn't meet anyone to date, I thoroughly enjoyed everyone's company, both male and female, and it was a lot less stressful than OLD. I have no doubt I might've met men I was interested if I'd kept going to the various events, but I ended up meeting my future husband on OLD after several years in that crazy venue, so I stopped doing Meetup. I've always highly recommended the groups, whether in the singles Meetups or the ones open for anyone just enjoying whatever activity it involves.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Andrina said:

After my first marriage ended, I went to three Meetup events for singles in my age group. Though on those three events I didn't meet anyone to date, I thoroughly enjoyed everyone's company, both male and female, and it was a lot less stressful than OLD. I have no doubt I might've met men I was interested if I'd kept going to the various events, but I ended up meeting my future husband on OLD after several years in that crazy venue, so I stopped doing Meetup. I've always highly recommended the groups, whether in the singles Meetups or the ones open for anyone just enjoying whatever activity it involves.

It’s amazing how things work out and fate works in mysterious ways. These days it’s just great to be around people in person. Especially for those of us like me that work from home. Zoom and Teams meetings just don’t cut it.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, beatlesfan77 said:

It’s amazing how things work out and fate works in mysterious ways. These days it’s just great to be around people in person. Especially for those of us like me that work from home. Zoom and Teams meetings just don’t cut it.  

I don't see it as all fate. I think staying involved and being proactive as Andrina did enhanced her chances of meeting the right person because she was out there and in a positive place/head space.  I went to a rare in person training yesterday and I agree with you totally.  When I reconnected with my now husband it was part "fate" but also I was out there being proactive about meeting people, potential dates, staying involved in my work, volunteer work, social activities and on and on.  It all helped me reconnect with him and act on how I was feeling in a way that helped us get back together.  

• Like 1