Dieting Advice

Would appreciate advice from those that have specific knowledge on dieting and weight loss. 

I'm at 245 pounds, wanting to lose about 100 pounds slowly, naturally. 

My friend lost about 60 pounds in 10 months. Her doctor put her on an 800 calorie daily diet for 4 months, then Ozempic after that. She barely worked out at all. Now she just takes ozempic daily so she isn't very hungry. 

I don't want to do that. I want to do it naturally without medication. 

Is it all about diet?

I'm starting a 1000 calorie a day diet. Will this help me lose weight?Do I need to kill myself working out on top of the diet? 

Edited to add- it's not all about diet - I agree with Cherlyn. I've been working out regularly since 1982 I mean 3-5 times a week and every single day no excuses for the last 12 years or so.  Only excuses: if i am very sick, if I am fasting for a procedure, if doctor said I can't (like when I had oral surgery my doc said I couldn't for a day or so because of the stitches). I've skipped a day  per year on average. 

I've never joined Weight Watchers but over all these years and from many people I regard as very reasonable and smart and stable -including about weight loss -this was the best program if you're going to do a program. I like what I hear about it promoting a healthy way of eating -a healthy lifestyle -not at all gimmicky.

Here are things that help me maintain my weight and sometimes I end up losing some but I do not need to:

I finally gave up all diet soda the last couple of years -I mean maybe in my lifetime I'll have one or less a year on average -like socially -but i guzzled a lot of diet coke/tab in my day! And other diet sodas.  For me it triggered carb cravings.  And it's awful for you. I stopped drinking regular soda in about 1980 when I was 14.  Also don't drink your calories -no juices etc.

I hydrate to the max -as much as I can. All plain tap water and I use a water bottle I love so that helps.  I drink 10-11 glasses a day and all between meals -keeps me full, squelches the desire to snack.

If I eat between meals (and I have one healthy snack after dinner at night -whole grains/nuts/fruits) it is only if I am truly and really hungry and if I am I will eat very little -maybe one piece of dried fruit, some apple slices, etc - it has to be stuff that is not crave-food - plain healthy fruit or maybe like a raw carrot or broccoli floret.  To tide me over.

I eat everything in moderation  -meaning junk/sweets in moderation - and I don't eat till I'm overly full -I used to -no good.  Portion control.  

I work out every day and I focus on cardio.  I also focus on moving my body a lot -climbing stairs instead of elevator, brisk walking all day, putting energy even into scrubbing my floors. Movement makes me feel good and positve and means I won't emotionally eat.

I do not let myself emotionally eat or nibble anymore.  I don't let myself "snack" while I make my son's lunch or prepare food.   I wasn't at all binging but emotional nibbling is a really really bad habit IMO. Having said that I'm a foodie so if I need comfort food I choose my meal accordingly.  Comfort food can of course be healthy if you choose wisely.  

If I feel I've overdone it on unhealthy stuff on a particular day I make sure to balance it out /limit it the next day. I don't mean overdone as in stuffing myself - I don't do that - I mean just more than usual.  

I pay attention to my hunger and fullness cues.  If I feel hungry in an unusual way I drink water to see if it's truly hunger -or thirst.  Having my water bottle makes me feel like I'm "consuming" even though I'm not.

I eat slowly -I eat too quickly and I force myself to slow down.

I hope this helps -good luck!

No,  it's not all about diet.   You have to get moving.  Perhaps start walking but don't over do it.  Walk when it is cool,  perhaps in the morning or early evening safely,  of course.  Gradually build up your stamina and endurance.  Exercise will speed up your metabolism.  Drink water and stay hydrated.   No sodas nor fruit juices. 

Practice portion control.  Eat in moderation.  I eat small portions during meal times and I don't snack.   I avoid junk food.  Others suggest healthy snacking and forgo meals.  It's better to make an appointment with a nutritionist.  

No,  you don't have to kill yourself working out on top of dieting.  Don't torture nor starve yourself!  

I've found distractions help.  During my non-work hours,  I get a lot done around the house.  I'm a major declutterer.  I drop everything off at the donation store or have giant bags ready for designated charity pick up day in my residential neighborhood.  I like to get organized so I do that.  I also enjoy hobbies.  I sew quilts and crochet blankets as gifts for my friends and family.  My other hobbies include cake decorating (which I don't eat),  calligraphy,  greeting card embossing,  greeting card stamping,  scrap booking,  jewelry making (costume jewelry) and I enjoy making albums for me and others.  Examples:  Recipe albums,  bill paying albums and the like.  I enjoy frequenting my local library and read books at bedtime.  I enjoy cooking healthy meals or snacks. 

I limit my screen time.  I exercise daily first thing in the morning before work.  No excuses.  I'll exercise indoors due to inclement weather especially during winter months. 

I gauge how I feel based upon how my clothes fit.  If they feel snug or too tight,  I know I'll have to be more strict with dieting.  I don't even cheat anymore because eating what I'm not supposed to eat makes me feel fatigued,  sluggish and drowsy.  Eating light and healthy gives me more energy.  My clothes feel looser which I prefer.  I don't like my thighs rubbing together whenever I walk so I prefer remaining on the slender side.  Workouts are easier when I'm lean 'n mean.   I also feel healthier and I experience absolutely no pain if I'm slender and strict with diet and exercise.  My joints hurt if I'm sloppy with dieting.  My healthy lifestyle prevents arthritis for me or so I've noticed.   

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Alex39 said:

I'm at 245 pounds, wanting to lose about 100 pounds slowly, naturally. I'm starting a 1000 calorie a day diet. 

It seems like you have already decided what you want to do. Your friends need to do whatever they want to do, but she was smart to consult with her physician first for that amount of weight loss.  

• Like 1

According to a personal trainer I know, it is 75% diet and 25% exercise. Take that as you choose.

First step? An appointment with your primary care doctor for an evaluation. You could have hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's disease, be diabetic, have a digestive disorder or a metabolic disorder...you could actually harm yourself with such a strict diet that deprives you of needed nutrition if you have a medical condition. Then ask for a referral to a doctor that specializes in healthy weight loss.

Also, be very, very cautious about using prescription medication "off label". Some people have harmed themselves doing that. Again, your doctor is your best resource.

And finally, please do not talk to your mom about your plans. She will have you running straight for the baking section of the grocery store. 

I hate American measurments. When will you guys switch to metric system like all normal world?

100 pounds is 45 kilograms according to online converter. Anything more then 5kg a month(11 pounds according to converter) is not good for your health. So you would need around 9 months if you lose 5 kilos a month to do that. Also, any diet that is that restrictive would most likely cause "yo yo effect" on you. AKA you would be very hungry and bounce back very fast. 

Why not contact a nutricionist? They could prescribe you a good and healthy diet that would go along with your body as well as with your blood results(they would probably do that before they prescribe diet). That way you could lose a healthy ammount of weight without starving yourself. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Kwothe28 said:

I hate American measurments. When will you guys switch to metric system like all normal world?

100 pounds is 45 kilograms according to online converter. Anything more then 5kg a month(11 pounds according to converter) is not good for your health. So you would need around 9 months if you lose 5 kilos a month to do that. Also, any diet that is that restrictive would most likely cause "yo yo effect" on you. AKA you would be very hungry and bounce back very fast. 

Why not contact a nutricionist? They could prescribe you a good and healthy diet that would go along with your body as well as with your blood results(they would probably do that before they prescribe diet). That way you could lose a healthy ammount of weight without starving yourself. 

Funny story. When we go to Europe I convert my treadmill speed of MPH to KM.  So of course the number is much higher.  Well.  I went to an American chain hotel in London in June (our 4th time on a family vacation to Europe). The first treadmill I used in their fitness center was set for KM.  Cool.  Next day I used a different one. All of a sudden as I'm manually increasing the speed I realize I'm going way too fast -scarily fast -then realize that the prior user set it to MPH lol.  

I agree it's much much better to lose weight slowly and even better if while that is happening to be working on a change in lifestyle and eating habits. To me that it what sticks for the long term.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I would start by looking at what you eat now. 

Start a food diary. There are many free ones on line that will help you track your meals with calories. Do that for a few days until you can get a picture of how many calories you eat. 

Then start slowly.

do a few things:

1. cut your calorie intake a little at a time.  if you eat 2500 calories a day, start eating only 2250. 

2. start weighing yourself first thing in the morning, in your pj's after you pee but before you eat or drink anything

3. start replacing unhealthy choices with healthy ones. It's not just about eating less unhealthy food, it's about increasing the healthy food.

4. start reading about nutrition. learn what a healthy diet for the long term is. 

5. take a walk for 10-20 minutes everyday

small changes, over the long term, builds sustainable, good habits that lead to success.

Drastic calorie cutting will set you up for failure. 

Losing 1-2 pounds a week is a good goal. 

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

According to a personal trainer I know, it is 75% diet and 25% exercise. Take that as you choose.

First step? An appointment with your primary care doctor for an evaluation. You could have hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's disease, be diabetic, have a digestive disorder or a metabolic disorder...you could actually harm yourself with such a strict diet that deprives you of needed nutrition if you have a medical condition. Then ask for a referral to a doctor that specializes in healthy weight loss.

Also, be very, very cautious about using prescription medication "off label". Some people have harmed themselves doing that. Again, your doctor is your best resource.

And finally, please do not talk to your mom about your plans. She will have you running straight for the baking section of the grocery store. 

This is all from my doctor. I'm healthy, but too heavy and shouldn't stay at this weight. 

He recommended this, but never said about exercise, only the diet. 

11 minutes ago, Alex39 said:

This is all from my doctor. I'm healthy, but too heavy and shouldn't stay at this weight. 

He recommended this, but never said about exercise, only the diet. 

Your doctor recommended you eat only 1000 calories per day?

Keep lightly prepped greens plus other colorful veggies you like stored in containers and with you at all times.

Add them to everything you’re eating now. Notice how full this makes you feel long before you complete what you would normally eat.

You’ll find yourself storing half or more of many portions for later.

In short time you’ll find yourself craving the veggie mix more than the foods you once craved, and you’ll experiment with lighter ways to prep your meals.

Also experiment with ways of hydration that inspire you most. Mixing a small part of lemonade or favorite juice with 8 or 9 parts water is one way to train yourself to crave fluids, then reduce the juice to barely a smidge.

No need to cram on exercise, as that can work against you by increasing soreness and appetite. Instead, practice a routine you find enjoyable such as walking with an audiobook or podcast daily plus mild resistance work for short periods every other day.

If you make it simple in combo with reducing intake, you’ll be more inspired to increase over time rather than become discouraged and drop it.

Eat and do stuff that keeps you happy, and you can ramp it up over time rather than starting with overkill and hating it and sabotaging yourself.

Head high, and congrats on your choice!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Alex39 said:

This is all from my doctor recommended this, but never said about exercise, only the diet. 

Calorie restriction is essential in morbid obesity. However for long term success, you'll need lifestyle changes including psychological support and treatment for compulsive eating disorder and the underlying causes.

Sure, you can eat vegetables and exercise, but without treating the cause, you may not have long term success.

https://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/obesity/treatment

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17652-binge-eating-disorder

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Kampuniform3 said:

Two words: Intermittent Fasting.

Safe, and effective, and you will see results within two weeks.  

It has turned many people’s lives around.

15 years ago, I used to be 240, and intermittent fasting took me down to 170 within six months.

Many articles lately about the real health risks, depending. I know of a few people who find it very beneficial.  One in particular does it far more for weight maintenance.  She is also an avid cyclist and also works out regularly. She is in her 50s and she looks great overall.

I agree with Catfeeder as far as keeping the raw stuff around except that it also enables the constant nibbling constant eating thing -I use my water bottle as the sort of oral fixation and keep it with me at all times.  I only eat between meals if I'm starving and then I choose what you wrote - enough to keep me not starving till the next meal.  And yes the raw stuff keeps me much fuller.  The other night I really wanted ice cream for dessert - not a lot but -ice cream.  I didn't have it.  Later with my small before bed snack I was still very hungry.  So I added a small piece of banana to my snack.  So there's the calorie savings and the health benefits - no processed sugar, no fat of the ice cream, and I responded to "hungry" with probably 40 calories of a fresh fruit that is loaded with the good stuff.

I am loving this conversation! 

I am a healthy weight and I have been for a long time, but it's a myth that once you get to a healthy weight, you'll just stay there.  it's an every meal, every day choice. 

so it's really important to be realistic about it being a lifestyle not a diet. Like @Wiseman2 suggested, look into your mental and emotional health. figure out the cause of over eating.

I also echo @Batya33 and @catfeeder fill your plate with veggies. It's good to have healthy snacks on hand- fruit and cut veggies while you work towards not eating in between meals. 

Learn to let yourself feel hungry.  Don't eat just because it's dinner time. if you're not hungry don't eat. 

I also add extra veggies to everything.  I keep diced onions, carrots and red bell peppers in the fridge. Whatever I am making I add those- pasta, baked potatoes, eggs, wraps, salad... 

Find ways to reward yourself that do not include food.  

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Lambert said:

I am loving this conversation! 

I am a healthy weight and I have been for a long time, but it's a myth that once you get to a healthy weight, you'll just stay there.  it's an every meal, every day choice. 

so it's really important to be realistic about it being a lifestyle not a diet. Like @Wiseman2 suggested, look into your mental and emotional health. figure out the cause of over eating.

I also echo @Batya33 and @catfeeder fill your plate with veggies. It's good to have healthy snacks on hand- fruit and cut veggies while you work towards not eating in between meals. 

Learn to let yourself feel hungry.  Don't eat just because it's dinner time. if you're not hungry don't eat. 

I also add extra veggies to everything.  I keep diced onions, carrots and red bell peppers in the fridge. Whatever I am making I add those- pasta, baked potatoes, eggs, wraps, salad... 

Find ways to reward yourself that do not include food.  

I agree it's a choice.  The choice gets easier because it becomes far more habitual plus rewarding. I had to relearn hunger and fullness cues after I over dieted -so it's best to establish that too ASAP.

11 hours ago, Batya33 said:

All of a sudden as I'm manually increasing the speed I realize I'm going way too fast -scarily fast -then realize that the prior user set it to MPH lol

Something like that happened to me when I first crossed the border into Canada. I was in my car, though. The speed limit said 90! I was like, "Wow, cool!" But it actually wasn't cool--it was WAY too fast for the windy little road that we were on!

13 hours ago, Alex39 said:

I'm at 245 pounds, wanting to lose about 100 pounds slowly, naturally.

My suggestion is that you use an online Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) calculator to estimate the amount of calories that you are currently consuming per day, and the amount of calories you need to consume in order to maintain a weight of 145 lbs. You just need to plug in your height, weight, gender, and age.

According to the BMR calculator that I just used, you are probably consuming 1,780 - 1,900 calories per day (I don't know your height, so I used a range). If you want to get down to 145 lbs, you need to limit your calories to 1,325 - 1,450 per day (again, depending on your height).

I think this is a much more realistic approach to losing weight and keeping it off than commercial diet plans and/or severe calorie restriction. Most of these plans fail because all of your energy is concentrated on getting to a certain weight and you never learn how to maintain that weight. If you approach the problem by developing the 145lb eating habit, you learn to maintain as you go.

It's all about developing and keeping good habits.

Is it all about diet?

It's important to exercise, but diet is the key to losing weight. You can't out-exercise a bad diet, and here's why: A 100-calorie cookie takes 5 seconds to eat and 20 minutes (240x longer!) to burn off at a moderate walk. If you jog, it will take more like 5 minutes--but that's still 60x longer than it takes to eat the cookie. It's a very disproportionate expenditure of time and effort, and therefore it is not realistic to rely on exercise to lose weight. 

However, exercise isn't totally useless. If you maintain your current daily caloric intake and spend 20 minutes per day burning 100 calories, you will have a caloric deficit of 36,500 calories by the end of a year, and will have lost about 10 pounds. Just keep in mind that you have to be vigilant with your diet. If you lose track of what you are eating and overeat just a little bit (100 calories!!), you will instantly lose the benefit of that workout.

My friend lost about 60 pounds in 10 months. Her doctor put her on an 800 calorie daily diet for 4 months, then Ozempic after that. She barely worked out at all. Now she just takes ozempic daily so she isn't very hungry. 

I don't want to do that. I want to do it naturally without medication.

It seems to me that bad habits conquer all drugs and all surgeries. 

I'm still curious to know if your doctor did in fact advise you to eat only 1000 calories per day and to take a drug that was manufactured to treat diabetes.

I agree with @catfeeder. You can't be successful without changing your habits. 

Also, do not fall into the habit of a "cheat day" or rewarding yourself with food for "being good". It's fine to enjoy food but it's not supposed to be a prize or reward. 

Have you had your thyroid check or been tested for insulin resistance? I think most doctors will just do a fasting glucose test and the rest is just going by symptoms.

I use ozempic. Before it was very hard for me to lose weight and I counted and measured every calorie. It's been somewhat of a miracle for me. Once on it the weight just melted off and I don't have to restrict food like I did before. I likely had insulin resistance before making it hard to lose and that's why it's been a game changer for me.

19 hours ago, Alex39 said:

Her doctor put her on an 800 calorie daily diet for 4 months, then Ozempic after that. 

You need to actually see a physician and get some tests done. You also need to have a frank discussion about treatment options, including pharmacological treatment for obesity. While Ozempic is used off label for treatment of obesity, an analog of it has been approved for treatment of obesity for years.  With a 100 lb weight loss, you really need a professional evaluation and treatment. 

https://www.keckmedicine.org/blog/ozempic-for-weight-loss-los-angeles/

The reason why I'm so strict with controlling or losing weight is because if I gain just several pounds,  the extra weight no matter how minuscule,  hurts my knees literally overnight or within two days.  I'm prone to arthritis.  Therefore,  staying on the thin side eliminates unnecessary joint pain.   I also have a sore lower back and if keep fit,  I don't have back pain.  If I don't workout nor eat according to what makes me feel good,  it's like taking sleeping pills.  I'm dragging,  have zero energy,  chronically drowsy 😴,  cranky  😡,  cantankerous and in a constant foul mood.  I become a "Debbie Downer" and a very negative person.   For me,  exercise and diet is more about my own survival than looking good although an outward positive appearance is a nice perk.  I will never revert to mainstream America and be the typical overweight American plodding around Disney World.  That type of lifestyle simply does not work for me.  

There was a time when I didn't care what I ate nor exercised regularly.  I felt awful and so tired all the time.  I've since lost 35+ pounds.  I can't be sedentary anymore not to mention sustain increased risks for hypertension,  diabetes,  cardiovascular disease,  heart attacks,  cancers,  strokes,   depression,  dementia,  osteoarthritis,  degenerative arthritis,  autoimmune disorders and blob weight gain.   No way.  It's nothing to sneeze at.  I take all of this into account quite seriously.   An unhealthy lifestyle has deadly consequences.  I do not wish to shorten my life! 

In the beginning with my diet and fitness regimen,  it required a lot of self control and self discipline to make my lifestyle habitual.  However,  after a while,  it is what I wanted so it's not difficult to make my lifestyle an ingrained,  non-negotiable habit.  For me,  it's all in the mind.  I'm at the point where I no longer have cravings nor cheat anymore because I know the sickening feeling consequences which isn't worth it to me and it doesn't taste as great as I had remembered.  I go my own way.  Whatever other people do is fine with me as long as I continue with my preferences.  

Fit and healthy is here to stay. 🤗

I have used MyFitnessPal app (free version, but there is an upgraded paid) to keep track. In the old days I used to do it on paper which sucked lol! It is great for getting the awareness of portion sizes, calories, nutrition. It's not the be all end all but it might help you.

Everyone has their opinions and what works for them as far as fitness. I do think exercise is important...not only for losing weight, but long term health and fitness! And your focus is for health not skinny right?! Losing extra is one part of building a long term fitness plan. 

Totally agree with doing this along side a doc. If I had your goal, I'd probably invest in a health club that has nutritionists, coaches, so you can have all supports working for you. I know that can be cost prohibitive though sometimes! 

But yay you for getting going !! 

• Like 1