My ex of 6 years (34F) just followed me (35M) on Instagram...

As I said, we dated for 6 years and broke up 2 years ago (she broke up with me). We haven't spoke since October 2019. After the breakup she blocked me on social and made her page private. I, soon thereafter, deleted my IG. Just wanted to get away from social media. Earlier this year I decided to get back on IG. Her page is public now as is mine. Anyways, fast forward to Monday, and I let my curiosity get the best of me. I looked at her profile and clicked on her IG story. I don't know what I was thinking in that moment, to be honest. I guess it was just curiosity. Anyways, an hour later, she followed me and liked one of my photos. I decided to follow her back.

It took me a while to get over the initial pain of the breakup, but like all of us who've been through it, I eventually moved on with my life, though I'll admit there are moments that still arise in which I think about her and miss her. They're not that frequent, however, with these recent events, it's brought back these weird emotions.

I guess my question is...should I reach out and say hello? Is there anything I should be reading into here or am I letting my imagination get the best of me?

1 hour ago, Advice_needed86 said:

I guess my question is...should I reach out and say hello? Is there anything I should be reading into here or am I letting my imagination get the best of me?

Did you recently end a relationship? Is there a specific reason to revisit this?

Once you're over an ex you can look back fondly on that chapter of your life.

However it seems you would like to reestablish more than just friendly contact, no?

• Like 1

I suggest you NOT reach out.. is bad enough you looked her up again & liked anything. Now you feel some 'fall back'.  Then either leave it at that or remove her again. so you can keep moving ahead.

Your past is now just that... your past.

I'm sure, in time, your thoughts now will ease off again.  Is just a small reaction to going back there again.

So, what do you think you should do?

12 hours ago, Advice_needed86 said:

these weird emotions.

If there are any odd or conflicting emotions, then don't contact her. Not enough time has passed. It is ok look back at the good times but feeling overwhelmed, conflicted, twinges of pain are signs you're not over the break up. Another good test is that if you're having to ask or humming and hawing over saying hello, chances are it's not just a hello. It's fine to have these feelings which will pass in time. Just give yourself more space.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Advice_needed86 said:

Is there anything I should be reading into here or am I letting my imagination get the best of me?

This. 

It's usually simply curiosity about people who were once important to us, but not a desire to rekindle. The same was true for you when you watched her story to begin with, no?

No need to message her, especially if this has triggered conflicting emotions all over again.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Advice_needed86 said:

I'll admit there are moments that still arise in which I think about her and miss her. 

Imo, no you should not reach out.  She broke up with you and blocked you.  Meanwhile, two years on there are STILL moments that you miss her, plus you are here posting about her, so no you are not 100% over her.  She still holds power over you.  This creates an unbalanced emotional dynamic so if you two were ever to start communicating it would not be on an even plane.  Imo, nothing good would come of it.  Remember, YOU were the one to "approach" her by looking into her IG NOT the other way around.  Had you not, she would be carrying on with her life just fine without you, as she chose to do when she broke up with you.  The fact that she followed you was probably just a courtesy given that she got to have all the power back then and you didn't create too much trouble for her when she dumbed you.  The moment she senses that you are still not over her she will probably be on her way out of your life again.  Don't let wishful thinking set you back.            

• Like 1

You looked at her story, she saw that(I believe you can see who looked at your story) and also got curious so followed you. I wouldnt read too much into it, if she wants something she would have contacted you. And generally its not a good idea that you followed her. Now sometimes when you open IG it would be her selfie on the page. If you had hard before, wait until that happens lol. I mean OK, you got curious, just saying that you made more troubles for yourself. Also I have this wonderful property that I inherited from my family where when I get dissapointed in somebody I can never look at them the same way so will pass it onto you with some hurtful truth. She broke up with you and blocked you. Not only she doesnt want to be in a relationship with you, she didnt wanted you to even contact her to ask how she is doing or anything else. In 2 years she never even contacted you to ask about you and still isnt, its just IG following. That girl is not your girlfriend and its not your friend. She just doesnt care for you. You dont need her in your life in any way or form. So forget about her and move on with your life.

You are reading way too much into this.  Block and delete her.  If she has any interest in you at all she will find another way to contact you.  We look back at the past with rose-tints on and recall the good bits, good times, sex etc.  Never the bad.  Move forward is my counsel to anyone hankering after an ex.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It's definitely a good sign, however, all experts would agree that she has to contact you FIRST. Not the other way around. 

I wouldn't be surprised if she texts you around Christmas. Just show the most attractive version of you on IG. Let us know how it goes. 

As for me, my ex is still stalking me on IG, but won't talk or communicate with me.