Would it be awkward to rent from a co worker?

One of the man that work at my work but in different department informed me some time ago that he's looking for someone to rent his basement apartment. But at the time I had already signed a lease and moved where I'm currently staying. Now my lease is ending in few months and I asked him some again recently if he found someone to which he said NO..he wants to rent to someone he knows. He also want cash for rent and we could agree on the rent. Then he told me if I want I can come to look at the place. It's basically a separate unit in the basement, with access to your own entrance and amenities. But shared parking . I've been contemplating it since I need to move from where I'm currently staying because of pests issues. But part of me doesn't feel comfortable and feel like it would be awkward since we work for the same company. I'm also a type of person who like my own privacy so I wonder if he would be in my business even though it will be a separate unit would you do this?

46 minutes ago, Rose Mosse said:

I would not do something like this especially in your case. You need to be careful also with paying in cash and have a paper trail or some receipt of each payment. 

Is it the guy from your Oct 2020 thread? 

It's the same man of this thread 

I think the reason why I wouldn't want to rent from him firstly would be the cash reason. I'm not sure what country you're in but here in Australia all landlords and tenants always have a legal lease agreement, which they both sign. Australia has very strict renting laws which are usually respected. Signing the lease document gives the tenant all their legal rights and legal protection in case something bad should happen.

For example, here if things break in the place on their own, e.g. tap begins to leak, the landlord has to pay to fix it. If they are not fixing anything, you can contact higher legal organisations who will protect you. But not having the lease document means you really have no proof that you are even renting from that person. There is nothing to show and cash in hand is illegal, so really the only thing that person could do would be to move out.

Also for me it would be the fact that I'm renting from a man who basically lives in the same place. I'm not automatically saying that just being a man he would hit on you or anything but personally I would probably prefer to rent from a female or at least gay man if I'm sharing the space. What would happen of one of you becomes interested in the other or even you both do? If you hooked up but it didn't work out, it'd be very awkward. But to me personally the fact he's man and your colleague is a more minor issue and the cash I  hand payments are the real problem. Unless you're in a country where this is normal and things are often done "under the table". Which I know they are in some countries.

1 hour ago, Tinydance said:

I think the reason why I wouldn't want to rent from him firstly would be the cash reason. I'm not sure what country you're in but here in Australia all landlords and tenants always have a legal lease agreement, which they both sign. Australia has very strict renting laws which are usually respected. Signing the lease document gives the tenant all their legal rights and legal protection in case something bad should happen.

For example, here if things break in the place on their own, e.g. tap begins to leak, the landlord has to pay to fix it. If they are not fixing anything, you can contact higher legal organisations who will protect you. But not having the lease document means you really have no proof that you are even renting from that person. There is nothing to show and cash in hand is illegal, so really the only thing that person could do would be to move out.

Also for me it would be the fact that I'm renting from a man who basically lives in the same place. I'm not automatically saying that just being a man he would hit on you or anything but personally I would probably prefer to rent from a female or at least gay man if I'm sharing the space. What would happen of one of you becomes interested in the other or even you both do? If you hooked up but it didn't work out, it'd be very awkward. But to me personally the fact he's man and your colleague is a more minor issue and the cash I  hand payments are the real problem. Unless you're in a country where this is normal and things are often done "under the table". Which I know they are in some countries.

I live in Canada and the property owner has to claim all of their income tax. So I feel like he's trying to invade paying taxes by requesting cash. Also, I can claim my rent on my taxes so this situation will not work for me

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MrsWise said:

I live in Canada and the property owner has to claim all of their income tax. So I feel like he's trying to invade paying taxes by requesting cash. Also, I can claim my rent on my taxes so this situation will not work for me

Well yes, I think that the cash in hand payments will work well for him, but not for you. If something went wrong then he would not be accountable for it, you know? It would just be his word against yours.

5 hours ago, MrsWise said:

part of me doesn't feel comfortable

This is all the 'feeling' I would need to skip this, and I'd look instead for a place elsewhere.

There are 2 places where you never want to feel 'uncomfortable,' and those would be home and/or your work location.

So? Why go in already knowing that you'd feel uncomfortable in both places?

Don't sign a new lease beyond a month-to-month with your current place, and keep looking. The current landlord would need to spend enough time to get you out if he/she won't go month-to-month for you to you find a new location. So there's no 'real' need to deal with someone at your job.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MrsWise said:

he's looking for someone to rent his basement apartment.  . He also want cash for rent 

Never rent for cash. (Means it's an illegal apt.) Never rent a basement apartment. Never rent from someone you work with.

It's a raw deal. That's why he can't find anyone foolish enough to take it.

Start looking for decent places.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mix work with a landlord-tenant relationship.  It's just like business and friends or business and family never mix.  It's too awkward and there are no boundaries should any financial issues go awry.  He also wants all cash for rent which is alarming.  With cash, there are no legal records for him and you and do you want to get yourself into risky trouble? 

You will feel uncomfortable at work every time you see him because you have a rental agreement with him, you have to pay him CASH every month and your dynamics with him will change from something peaceful now to discomfort and irritation.  Don't create unnecessary and avoidable stress for yourself.  This is not a good idea. 

Never rely and depend on people who are close to you whether it's co-workers, colleagues, friends, acquaintances, neighbors, relatives, in-laws or whomever in that regard.  Maintain separation between your business life and private life otherwise you risk getting involved in possibly ugly relationships with them eventually.  You can never escape them which is smothering and suffocating.  Also, should there be a disagreement, fight or legal trouble, you will give yourself a lot of angst, distress and turmoil.  Have control of your life and you will be grateful for this type of relief and predictable peace of mind.  Prevent stressful risks and danger.