Anxiety and noise polution

Unfortunately that's true. These people are not creating a ruckus, People have the right to use their bathroom . Reread the lease agreement. Get a HEPA filter for white noise. You don't need silly apps. Just a clean airflow and mid white noise.

It sounds more like insomnia if something like this is causing early morning wakening. Healthy people would not be awakened by this type of thong. Get to a doctor for a checkup.

I have no trouble with sleeping as i can sleep all night, i am just a light sleeper and sometimes i do suffer from anxiety too but 9 times out of ten my anxiety is ok its just when im bothered by an issue that it flares. I didnt know you could get a white noise filter for a hepa filter ill look into it, although my current hepa air purifier does help

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My friend told me she had neighbours who argued alot and especially at 5am so uour right in the grand sceme of things is nothing.

Thanks you have clarified that i shouldnt ask the neighbour about the light. I do get that, but i think they rent and said they r moving out soon so if the flats empty surely the landlord wouldnt begrude me getting it changed n between tenants?

When i get the broad band sorted this piano music sounds like a good idea, or even a radio might be a good idea (i just thought of that)

You do not have to be connected to use an app. I use White Noise app. It is free.

Just looked at noise cancelling headphones, good in theory but i wouldnt be able to sleep in them i tried ear muffs to hold the ear plugs in place and when i went to lay on ny side they soon became redundant

I highly recommend something called Sleepphones by Acoustic Sheep.... they are headphones that are made for sleeping in.

I am a light sleeper as well... I wear them when I travel, and when my BF stays over I wear them to drown out his snoring.

I also use a white noise app called Sleep Pillow... pay like a $30 fee and you can download all of their sounds onto your phone... and it won't use any of your data. Well worth the $$. They have all sorts of sounds and you can mix them together to find one that works.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering to get the switch fixed. If the neighbors are tenants, just get the landlord's contact info and get in touch. Doubt very much anyone is going to care or turn you down in terms of fixing the switch. No need to make such a huge deal out of this when simple communication and fixing the problem will do, especially since you are offering to pay to get it done. Sometimes I'm amazed at people's fear to talk or address issues in a practical way. It doesn't hurt to ask and worst case is the landlord will say "no", which I doubt they'll do if you are paying. So much ado about nothing.....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering to get the switch fixed. If the neighbors are tenants, just get the landlord's contact info and get in touch. Doubt very much anyone is going to care or turn you down in terms of fixing the switch. No need to make such a huge deal out of this when simple communication and fixing the problem will do, especially since you are offering to pay to get it done. Sometimes I'm amazed at people's fear to talk or address issues in a practical way. It doesn't hurt to ask and worst case is the landlord will say "no", which I doubt they'll do if you are paying. So much ado about nothing.....

I disagree -it's intrusive and strange. And it will concern the neighbor that if she buys a gadget or has children in the house who play with certain toys that she'll have to deal with complaints on that as well. It would be like if my neighbor asked me not to run my washer or dishwasher outside of quiet times (when I usually will not although not sure if it includes that sort of thing). It doesn't sound like the switch needs fixing and I for one do not like having people in my home fixing things unless it's necessary -it's inconvenient and I have to make sure their shoes are removed, etc. I think she's overreaching. If it's not this type of noise there will be another one. It's multi-dwelling living.

I disagree -it's intrusive and strange. And it will concern the neighbor that if she buys a gadget or has children in the house who play with certain toys that she'll have to deal with complaints on that as well. It would be like if my neighbor asked me not to run my washer or dishwasher outside of quiet times (when I usually will not although not sure if it includes that sort of thing). It doesn't sound like the switch needs fixing and I for one do not like having people in my home fixing things unless it's necessary -it's inconvenient and I have to make sure their shoes are removed, etc. I think she's overreaching. If it's not this type of noise there will be another one. It's multi-dwelling living.

I agree. There are other solutions that do not involve the neighbor. The remedies are so easy.

This has been blown out of proportion, with soundproofing, boxes, etc....

I highly recommend something called Sleepphones by Acoustic Sheep.... they are headphones that are made for sleeping in.

I am a light sleeper as well... I wear them when I travel, and when my BF stays over I wear them to drown out his snoring.

I also use a white noise app called Sleep Pillow... pay like a $30 fee and you can download all of their sounds onto your phone... and it won't use any of your data. Well worth the $$. They have all sorts of sounds and you can mix them together to find one that works.

Sleepphones by Acoustic Sheep ill look this up too thanks. Snoring is one of the worst noises isnt it

Thanks i did want someones oppinion on this as i want to ask but didnt know if i was being unreasonable, i will ask at some point if the app im trying doesnt work

My air purifier is 30db this light pull switch is much much louder. It makes me jump when it wakes me at 4am. Apart from that there is no other noise at night time. They slam their doors alot and loud but not between 11pm and 7am. I dont have kids in my flat and im asking the landlord not the tenant so the landlord wont have to suffer any of my noise.

The tenants moving out soon so maybe i could do it between tenants when the flats empty anyway

Asking to take on the expense of electrical work would likely cost much more than other solutions. The cheapest fans are usually the loudest, so I'd use one of those, put down some rugs, close my own bathroom and bedroom doors and run a white noise or meditation app while sleeping. The meditation/hypnosis videos on YouTube are free and also talk you into a state of focus on the voice rather than external stimuli.

If you can get in touch with the landlord, you can make the complaint without an offer to spend your own money. He or she will either comply or not, but all other remedies will likely work making their choice irrelevant.

Ive doenloaded an app I'm going to try it tonight, thank you i hope it helps

Whoo Hooo! You will wonder how you lived so long without it.

I could not sleep on trips without one.

I am wondering what is the resistance to a fan if you do not like the apps?

Whoo Hooo! You will wonder how you lived so long without it.

I could not sleep on trips without one.

I am wondering what is the resistance to a fan if you do not like the apps?

I think i just prefer the apps. A fan is another option as well but id rather listen to sounds of a rainforest i think 😂

Snoring is one of the worst noises isnt it

There is something about the sound of snoring that grates on my nerves more than any other sound.

In the condo I live in I occasionally hear this weird percussive sound... I have yet to figure out where it's coming from, I only hear it in my bedroom, it's not particularly loud but it keeps me awake to the point of having to sleep on the couch... I only hear it between midnight and 5am... actually went so far as to get up in the middle of the night one time and put my ear to my neighbours door to see if I could hear it... nothing! I literally felt like a crazy person and probably looked like one standing in the hallway in my pajamas half asleep with an epic RBF lol

I realized that if I wore those headphones with my white noise app it totally drowned the sound out.

I feel your pain when it comes to weird noises OP!

Those headphones have been a god send... enough that I own two pairs, one for my house and one at my BF's place... and am thinking about getting a third spare pair in case I lose one or they go kaput.

There is something about the sound of snoring that grates on my nerves more than any other sound.

In the condo I live in I occasionally hear this weird percussive sound... I have yet to figure out where it's coming from, I only hear it in my bedroom, it's not particularly loud but it keeps me awake to the point of having to sleep on the couch... I only hear it between midnight and 5am... actually went so far as to get up in the middle of the night one time and put my ear to my neighbours door to see if I could hear it... nothing! I literally felt like a crazy person and probably looked like one standing in the hallway in my pajamas half asleep with an epic RBF lol

I realized that if I wore those headphones with my white noise app it totally drowned the sound out.

I feel your pain when it comes to weird noises OP!

Those headphones have been a god send... enough that I own two pairs, one for my house and one at my BF's place... and am thinking about getting a third spare pair in case I lose one or they go kaput.

How do you sleep with the headphones on? Snoring gets to me more than anything -why is that do you think, for you?

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get hold of the landlord and hes quite happy for me to pay to get the pulley light taken out in between people renting...Im going to find that a lot better than the white noise apps as im not getting on with them very well. I still find that noise is so loud it still makes me jump when im in deep sleep.

This is not the landlord's or tenant's problem. You need to find better sleep hygiene (google it) habits or move out.

I managed to get hold of the landlord and hes quite happy for me to pay to get the pulley light taken out in between people renting... the white noise apps as im not getting on with them very well.
This is not the landlord's or tenant's problem. You need to find better sleep hygiene (google it) habits or move out.

Hmm. Sounds like you've never suffered from sleep issues or insomnia - or the "you need to" would not be part of your input. Certainly people can improve lots of sleep habits -I had to, I did with success - but sleep issues are far deeper for certain people, or at certain times, than simply instructing someone to "find better sleep hygiene" which is the latest way to define it. It's like when people tell me "just use ear plugs" for my husband's snoring. Works great for some. Works not at all for me - but that's what I would find if I googled it.

There is a great deal of information on sleep habits, sleep hygiene and insomnia. Anyone can google these well-known terms. That is where people can find whatever information they need about how to help themselves. Can do their own homework and educated themselves as far as doctors/therapy, well they will have to pay for that. The best approach of course to get evaluated by a doctor for underlying problems or sleep disorders.

Certainly people can improve lots of sleep habits
There is a great deal of information on sleep habits, sleep hygiene and insomnia. Anyone can google these well-known terms. That is where people can find whatever information they need about how to help themselves. Can do their own homework and educated themselves as far as doctors/therapy, well they will have to pay for that. The best approach of course to get evaluated by a doctor for underlying problems or sleep disorders.

Of course -I agree with all of this -your tone and word choice in your last post implied that it was a simpler matter. I did not agree with that.

I do agree that the OP should pay for the issue she described since it doesn't seem to be against any typical apartment type noise-related rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived