Found out husband has been cheating for 10 years?!

Jill0501

Redirecting - this is what I want to know:

“I have posted to understand the dynamic behind this one affair. Am I making too much of it by thinking he’s emotionally involved with her? Because if it’s just sex, I can live with it. But if he has feelings for her, I’d have to reassess our entire marriage”

“I have posted to understand the dynamic behind this one affair. Am I making too much of it by thinking he’s emotionally involved with her? Because if it’s just sex, I can live with it. But if he has feelings for her, I’d have to reassess our entire marriage”

Bottom line: He does not love or respect you. He will not stick around, as he is not invested in your marriage.

But does the amount of time, and going back and forth when he’s had other women, mean he has feelings for her?

You don't seem to care if he is "doing" other women as long as there are no emotions involved. Ask him if he loves her and if he denies it then you can just go on denying your dismal situation if that is what keeps you sane and fine with his extra-curricular activities.

Bottom line: Don't fool yourself into THINKING you're happy as long as he isn't emotionally connected with his eff buddies. Be honest with YOURSELF and then proceed from there.

I see that you are struggling with this. However, you can't understand the dynamic of an affair if you don't understand what values are.

I honestly think that an inordinate amount of status, be it beauty, intelligence, or wealth, allows people to live outside of the rules of regular society.

You have that backwards. The actual fact is that some people (you) will allow themselves to be abused by people who have some form of status, be it beauty, intelligence, or wealth.

I get the feeling we are being trolled.... it’s hard for me to imagine that someone truly believes that wealth, status, and beauty excuse someone’s $hitty behaviour.

Then again if the OP is a gold digger and status chaser and is only in this so she can be with a good looking and wealthy man despite his being a lying cheating a$$hole then OP you get what comes with that.

You chose to stay with him knowing he was a cheater and expecting his behaviour wouldn’t escalate. This is completely unrealistic on your part OP. If you are going to be in an open relationship you need to accept the consequences of that decision no matter what they are.

If you can’t find the answer to your question in all the other posts, you’re delusional.

The consensus is:

You are NOT making too much of this. Your boundary is way more lenient than anyone else here would tolerate.

A 10 year affair has feelings. I’m 100% sure of that.

Nah. You'll stay until he discards you. And that's a matter of time, as wiseman pointed out. When it strategically and financially works for him.

Your marriage sounds transactional. Of course not everyone marries for love nor respects the person they are with. For some people, it's just trading one thing for another.

Hopefully you have other things going for you to be on your own rather than playing the one card over and over again.

Have you been and are you regularly tested for STDs?

I'm pretty sure being "inordinately blessed" doesn't prevent someone from contracting and spreading nasty infections and viruses such as HIV, herpes, BV, hepatitis or gonorrhea. Or from spreading them to innocent children.

And it doesn't seem like your husband's attachment to this woman is "sex only". If it was, he could just get sex from one of the many other women he's banging. He likes sex with this ONE PARTICULAR WOMAN. For whatever reason.

Yes, I wondered that myself.

Nope, there's another thread today where the woman excuses her boyfriend for lying and deceiving her because "he's so handsome".

Apparently it's a thing for some people that a person's looks make up for everything and anything else.

It's got me shaking my head, but I guess that's what is most important for some people.

Archived