Should I bring this up in my performance review?

thornz

Do it. In my previous position I asked for a raise and got told to wait. So I waited and nothing. I immediately sent a resignation letter, thanked my manager for the great experience and walked away. Next thing you know, the head of the recruitment is calling me to his office, offered me a higher position, promotion, and a bonus worth two years+ of my previous salary.....

The key was that I was polite and I NEVER said anything bad about my manager or anyone.

Now I am almost tempted to do the same thing again I just need to have that backup plan

Anyway, we only have performance reviews once a year. We have to submit an essay in January and then have to wait until April to see the results uff...I just find that by thinking of all the great opportunities there are outside of my job, I don't feel as much stressed...

I've heard a few stories like that in previous jobs but none at this place, they just let them leave lol. I don't really care too much for a promotion, I feel I have enough responsibility and autonomy in the role.

I get stressed too easily. It's something I'm working on 😁

Maybe I should try and focus more on the positives?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same here, every job I've had in this role I had a 3 month review.

lol I only have the two issues and the one issue I can ask for a raise to resolve. Since I've been told it's poor form to and complain I'll be looking at it as an opportunity to improve my resilience and tolerance and work on my communication, tact and response to others behaviour.

The reason I requested the review was because I want some reassurance that I'm achieving what they ask and that the flaws I perceive in myself and am working towards fixing are not entirely different to what they perceive. I have my own goals for my professional development and I want to know if they're compatible with the role I'm in. Things like that.

Thorns, you knew the salary going in. To complain about a low salary, would not make sense.

I think 3 months probationary time is not only for the company to decide if you are a right fit and can do the job, but for you to decide if it is a right fit for you. If you have significant issue with the culture, you can bow out without it having to go on your resume.

Since you have decided to stay, I agree with the others.

And yes, smart to go for a run or whatever helps you to bring down your stress. You don't want to go in there tomorrow a stress ball , better to have a clear mind.

Good luck!

You agree on which bit?

I'm going to go in early, try get this project polished off. Focus on the positive aims of my review and then catch up with all the other stuff I'm behind on so I can make a fresh start on the next project and put some ideas into practice of how to not get drawn into and distracted by debates that slow me down.

We are supposed to log our work too for tax purposes so I'm going to start that so I can get a clearer idea of where exactly my time is being spent and how I can make quicker progress ☺️

Same here, every job I've had in this role I had a 3 month review.

lol I only have the two issues and the one issue I can ask for a raise to resolve. Since I've been told it's poor form to and complain I'll be looking at it as an opportunity to improve my resilience and tolerance and work on my communication, tact and response to others behaviour.

The reason I requested the review was because I want some reassurance that I'm achieving what they ask and that the flaws I perceive in myself and am working towards fixing are not entirely different to what they perceive. I have my own goals for my professional development and I want to know if they're compatible with the role I'm in. Things like that.

That sounds like it's a lot about you with minor focus on your contribution to the company and your team. Perhaps that is better addressed by a career counselor or life coach -meaning let them do the talking about your performance and positives or possibly things to work on and then take that information to a therapist or career counselor. i don't think it's their job to help you develop professionally to the extent you describe unless they are offering that -if they promised you a full blown mentoring program with opportunities to have sessions on your professional development aside from how it contributes to the bottom line, fine -but if not I think you're going to come across as having an entitlement attitude and wasting their time on a review they did not want to give you.

Thorns, you knew the salary going in. To complain about a low salary, would not make sense.

Incorrect! I told the recruiter I wanted X amount. Went to the first interview, for a senior role, recruiter said they don't think I'm suitable for that so they would like me to come back in for a less senior role. After second interview I was told by the recruiter they wanted to offer me a junior role with a view to promoting me later and they would offer 10k less than what I wanted. I basically said hell no I wouldn't even consider less than 5k less than what I originally stated (I wasn't in a position to turn down a job even if the wage wasn't great). They offered 5k less than I originally wanted and I accepted.

Started the job and straight away it's very obvious it's not at all a juniour role, I am in fact leading a small team on a project! So yes I knew the salary but I was blatantly lied to about the level of responsibility.

I was going to tell them that, the recruiter lied about the role and I think the wage is not appropriate, had I known the actual role I would have expected a lot more. Since I'm stuck with the wage I've got I will be asking for a payrise after a year. If I don't get it Ciao!

That sounds like it's a lot about you with minor focus on your contribution to the company and your team. Perhaps that is better addressed by a career counselor or life coach -meaning let them do the talking about your performance and positives or possibly things to work on and then take that information to a therapist or career counselor. i don't think it's their job to help you develop professionally to the extent you describe unless they are offering that -if they promised you a full blown mentoring program with opportunities to have sessions on your professional development aside from how it contributes to the bottom line, fine -but if not I think you're going to come across as having an entitlement attitude and wasting their time on a review they did not want to give you.

I think you are misinterpreting what I said. I have a perception of my own strengths and weaknesses at work. They might not see the same things. No point wasting my time on improving my punctuality if they think it is amazing etc. If I don't have feedback from them how do I know where they think I'm underperforming?

As far as the professional development goes, I dont expect them to do that, I'm not sure how they even could? The work I put into my career is down to me not anyone else. So if I'm spending time doing X course is it a waste of time if they want me to focus on Y? Plus I've got my FYP to do for uni so ideally that will be something relevant to my job.

Incorrect! I told the recruiter I wanted X amount. Went to the first interview, for a senior role, recruiter said they don't think I'm suitable for that so they would like me to come back in for a less senior role. After second interview I was told by the recruiter they wanted to offer me a junior role with a view to promoting me later and they would offer 10k less than what I wanted. I basically said hell no I wouldn't even consider less than 5k less than what I originally stated (I wasn't in a position to turn down a job even if the wage wasn't great). They offered 5k less than I originally wanted and I accepted.

Started the job and straight away it's very obvious it's not at all a juniour role, I am in fact leading a small team on a project! So yes I knew the salary but I was blatantly lied to about the level of responsibility.

I was going to tell them that, the recruiter lied about the role and I think the wage is not appropriate, had I known the actual role I would have expected a lot more. Since I'm stuck with the wage I've got I will be asking for a payrise after a year. If I don't get it Ciao!

I hear what you are saying, but you did accept the position at that rate.

I hope things improve.

I think you are misinterpreting what I said. I have a perception of my own strengths and weaknesses at work. They might not see the same things. No point wasting my time on improving my punctuality if they think it is amazing etc. If I don't have feedback from them how do I know where they think I'm underperforming?

As far as the professional development goes, I dont expect them to do that, I'm not sure how they even could? The work I put into my career is down to me not anyone else. So if I'm spending time doing X course is it a waste of time if they want me to focus on Y? Plus I've got my FYP to do for uni so ideally that will be something relevant to my job.

Yes, if you want to know if you are performing as per their expectations fine. To me no news is good news.

I hear what you are saying, but you did accept the position at that rate.

I hope things improve.

I accepted a less senior position at that rate!

My colleague accepted a position and then found out after reading the paperwork (he had accepted at this point and arranged his life around moving here) it was less than he was told. Again a problem with the recruiter lying out his ring hole and not the companies fault.

My colleague accepted a position and then found out after reading the paperwork (he had accepted at this point and arranged his life around moving here) it was less than he was told. Again a problem with the recruiter lying out his ring hole and not the companies fault.

That is terrible.

I'm not willing to leave until I've been there at least a year as I think short term employment reflects poorly on your CV, so how do I handle this in the meantime?

Naah, that's old fashioned and no longer relevant. Plenty of successful people do contract work on short projects. List current employer as [Date of hire - Present] and start shopping for a better job. You don't need to badmouth current job during interviews; you can simply say that you anticipated a larger learning opportunity than is likely to materialize, and you would prefer to transition forward.

Naah, that's old fashioned and no longer relevant. Plenty of successful people do contract work on short projects. List current employer as [Date of hire - Present] and start shopping for a better job. You don't need to badmouth current job during interviews; you can simply say that you anticipated a larger learning opportunity than is likely to materialize, and you would prefer to transition forward.

I would agree if it is short term contract work. I would not phrase it as your wanting a larger learning opportunity because that is something you want from a job, not about what you can contribute to a potential employer. At the interview stage I would focus entirely on how you can contribute your skills, talents and knowledge to the employer/bottom line. Agree with no bad mouthing -just say it wasn't a good fit and you didn't feel you could contribute in the way you expected ,something like that.

Oh boy -- so you accepted the position and now you are complaining? Actually, in many companies, a junior role still leads team projects. My cousin was in the junior role and actually that put her above everyone else but the VP (she was the junior VP). She headed up projects all the time. She didn't have the job experience of the regular VP (the regular VP was 55 and very seasoned and she was 30 and newer to the field. it was an excellent job.

I think that you should do your job and be thankful you have one. They didn't give you a senior role, because what if you were not a fit for the company? I have worked at companies where its a policy not to put the new person in a major role and to promote from within. The person who constantly needles their superiors for raises is not the one they think of when its time to promote.

The salary is still more than you were making before, right?

I'm probably making it sound a lot worse than it is because I'm frustrated with the situation.

I agree with Itsallgrand. The fact a six-month turnover rate is the status quo suggests the immediate manager is not the problem, but upper management. Plus, people are getting paid thousands less than they were promised. It doesn't sound like this is a good place to work, period. It may not be a total waste of time, though. You are still learning and getting experience. But I'd keep my eye out for other jobs if I were you.

Did you have your review today? How did it go?

I've been in the working world for many decades, and I've had people report to me. If a 3-month employee demanded a review from me, and then told me everything negative about the company and the job, I'd show them the door.

I need to print this out to remind myself to never ever, ever, EVER join the corporation world again. This is an awful, dehumanizing place where no one actually cares about people. Not the right fit for sensitive people with a critical mind who don't like pretending 24/7.

I need to print this out to remind myself to never ever, ever, EVER join the corporation world again. This is an awful, dehumanizing place where no one actually cares about people. Not the right fit for sensitive people with a critical mind who don't like pretending 24/7.

That's not entirely true. There are lots of corporations that are amazing to work for. I think you need to do some self evaluating "not the right fit for sensitive people with a critical mind" to me means you see yourself as a bit better than everyone else, you don't work well on a team, etc. Sometimes jobs are ways to put food on the table or a way to get to the next place you want to go. There is a reason you took this job. Obviously, there was no other job out there willing to give you a higher salary than this and you took it.

I worked a job where they paid me generously to sit in the office and answer the phone when it rang, which was maybe 3 times a day. Freelancers came and went all day and i was just there so the owner didn't have to sit in the office all day to answer those three phone calls or wait for the mail. THey were in the field, instead. I was really dumb. I was antsy and kept looking for ways to have other duties or insert myself in things. I eventually was not satisfied and i quit. What i really should have done was laugh all the way to the bank, answered the phone and used that time to do some writing or take a class and use that time to study (they didn't care what i did as long as I stayed in the office. There was no internet, btw, or no computer besides something for CAD.). I could have been ahead by taking classes at night and used that job as my study time.

So take the job exactly for what it is -- learn what you can, and in six months to a year put your resume out there again. Its hard to say whether this job is bad or whether you are difficult. And if the turnover is six months to a year -- do these people quit or is there turnover because people have been promoted to other departments quickly?

Don't burn bridges. People will work again with a positive minded person that was a coworker with them before and the job just wasn't a fit - but not from someone who is sour.

That's not entirely true. There are lots of corporations that are amazing to work for. I think you need to do some self evaluating "not the right fit for sensitive people with a critical mind" to me means you see yourself as a bit better than everyone else, you don't work well on a team, etc. Sometimes jobs are ways to put food on the table or a way to get to the next place you want to go. There is a reason you took this job. Obviously, there was no other job out there willing to give you a higher salary than this and you took it.

I worked a job where they paid me generously to sit in the office and answer the phone when it rang, which was maybe 3 times a day. Freelancers came and went all day and i was just there so the owner didn't have to sit in the office all day to answer those three phone calls or wait for the mail. THey were in the field, instead. I was really dumb. I was antsy and kept looking for ways to have other duties or insert myself in things. I eventually was not satisfied and i quit. What i really should have done was laugh all the way to the bank, answered the phone and used that time to do some writing or take a class and use that time to study (they didn't care what i did as long as I stayed in the office. There was no internet, btw, or no computer besides something for CAD.). I could have been ahead by taking classes at night and used that job as my study time.

So take the job exactly for what it is -- learn what you can, and in six months to a year put your resume out there again. Its hard to say whether this job is bad or whether you are difficult. And if the turnover is six months to a year -- do these people quit or is there turnover because people have been promoted to other departments quickly?

Don't burn bridges. People will work again with a positive minded person that was a coworker with them before and the job just wasn't a fit - but not from someone who is sour.

It's not about that. I don't see myself as "above". It's just, it's how my brain works, which I lament on. I'm a devil's advocate, I notice the holes before I notice the good stuff. That's why I'd be a better editor than a writer. Even in here, a lot of my posts are just a contrargument to someone's comment, because of this rebellious tendency, which I perceive as actually one of my best assets, because I could bring new perspectives to some team. Of course, before I say something, I think about how it could make someone feel and if I should do this at all. But it physically hurts me to hold stuff that bothers me in just to look obedient and conflict-free.

And the thing that bothers me the most is disrespectful, unjust or dehumanizing treatment of people, especially those in week positions. In the company that I worked, interns were treated in a not nice way and I just couldn't watch it. The video of the company was played all week saying how our company's goal this year is fighting turnover of good employes, and the same week our intern, a very good one, a smart hardworking girl, that everybody considered a huge asset to the team, learned that her contract is not prolonged on 3 pm on Friday and she had an hour to collect her things, and none of it was mentioned out aloud by anyone in the team or the boss on the next team meeting. Just some motivating thought about that our team will get more money next year, which is yay, for people that will actually work there, that is. I felt a lot of aggression that I couldn't express and resigned a month later. But I'm ashamed that everybody kept looking at their monitors like it wasn't a heartbreaking thing that happened.

So I would love to actually work in a company that promotes individuality, respect for real people, and the difference of opinions. Before I would find that company, I would have to switch a job 20 times... And while you say it's ok to change a job every half a year or year, people in my country tell me anything below a year is a disadvantage to put in a CV.

So I stayed in a job I hated for 9 months... developed serious stress-related digestion problems, which I still have... And I decided to just leave and not work for a while to come to myself. That lasts 15 months already, which I used to pursue other stuff like studies and driving licence. And I'm more and more afraid to come back to the job market, because working even in small environments might be too stressful for me. Truth is, I should take a well-paid job to pay off my debt, so corporation is a way to go. But for me, it wouldn't be a place to learn something before I go, it would be place to get another health issues and get mentally broken for even longer...

So I don't look down on, I actually admire people who are able to adapt to stressful, awful places, realize their goals there and stay in the line. But, personality-wise, I'm like the opposite of that person, and I can adapt, but not 180 degrees. I should probably lead my life into a direction of being a freelancer or something flexible, but before I get there, I'm afraid there's a lot of nasty work experiences ahead of me.

I just glanced over all the OPs comments and I am somewhat confused.

She disagrees with her boss but likes the boss.

Doesn't like the company culture or it's a poor fit for her, but loves her job?

I am in a management position and having just reading this gave me anxiety. We probably wouldn't work well together. lol

We do have a policy of providing 90 day reviews. Do we do so 100% of the time? No, maybe 95%, if HR consistently prods us. Do we give raises or anticipate a new employee just passing their probationary period to ask for one? Never. (besides, compensation increases are budgeted for following fiscal year are voted on during the current year) I couldn't just give her one because she asked for it even if I wanted to.

Dealing with these matters are the least favorite part of our job, but it is what we get paid for.

Her energy, as I read it would make me nervous I might stall dealing with her too.

If an employee asked for a feedback I would give it, but the poster seems to have some heavy handed opinions and I think her motive isn't so much about wanting a feedback, but more so a platform to tell them how to better run their business. Fair enough. . but it won't be well received. Not now. Maybe in a year from now.

She seems pretty confident about her contribution up til now and with good reason. But it's because of this I feel suspect about her motives for a face to face.

Overall . . like it or not. It just doesn't seem to be a good fit. Honestly, I can't tell if she likes her job or not.

Being the newbie and trying to change the culture is ill advised. Even if you are more objective or correct. Just continue working at the best of your ability for your own personal satisfaction and if the company values it's employees, you will be rewarded.

Or save yourself the frustration and continue looking for employment that challenges you and you get the pay associated with it.

In the company that I worked, interns were treated in a not nice way and I just couldn't watch it.

I work for a very large company, and was once part of a department that treated its employees like crap. I hated it. So after a couple of months, I transferred into another department with better people (smarter, too). I actually hate the company that I work for. I think the leaders suck. But I love the people that I work with, and the experience that I am getting. Until this gravy train runs out, I am staying. There are both positives and negatives in the corporate world. What matters most is how you play your cards.

I agree about the "corporate world" -positives and negatives. I also know of many people who work for family or small businesses and it's a nightmare. I worked in the corporate world for 15 years -positives and negatives. It was kind of like boot camp for a number of years (which prepared me for parenthood!) and my mother told me from the get go that "your thank you is your paycheck"to manage my expectations. Because of the corporate world I met my husband and I felt comfortable being a full time parent for many years because of the nest egg I built while working for large companies. Neither of us are in the corporate world anymore but not because we hated it.

Just continue working at the best of your ability for your own personal satisfaction and if the company values it's employees, you will be rewarded.

Or save yourself the frustration and continue looking for employment that challenges you and you get the pay associated with it.

This is the best advice, and it applies to almost anyone.

I've been hired as a consultant to document and assess processes in companies, and in most cases, to find issues and propose options for resolutions ranging from highest to lowest investment of time, resources and additional expenses along with projections for highest to lowest payoff in outcomes.

Even when appointed these responsibilities, I used great care to avoid forming early assumptions and even greater care in communicating my opinions about results.

One largely universal finding is that those who are happiest in their jobs tend to be those who seek and find the strengths and positives in their coworkers, bosses and processes and who capitalize on those rather than those who derail themselves finding weaknesses and negatives.

Often things that the derailers identify as problems are not considered problems to upper management. They are often aspects of the job that are self limiting in their impacts because either a worker can figure out how to navigate them or not, and if not, the worker is identified as someone whose skills may be useful in another role--or another company.

• 2 weeks later...
The salary is still more than you were making before, right?

No it’s slightly less than my first job in this role. I accepted less money because I was told it’s a junior role and I expected to easily work my way up from a junior position. Since I’m not actually in a junior position and I have a lot of responsibility I don’t see much room for progression. I expected it to be compatible in responsibility and degree of difficulty to my first job. It’s absolutely not. I’m seeing lots of benefit from being here in the shorter term 1 to 2 years so far as developing professionally and becoming good at this job. After that without pay rise I see no benefit.

Archived