Should I bring this up in my performance review?

thornz

I agree with Itsallgrand. The fact a six-month turnover rate is the status quo suggests the immediate manager is not the problem, but upper management. Plus, people are getting paid thousands less than they were promised. It doesn't sound like this is a good place to work, period. It may not be a total waste of time, though. You are still learning and getting experience. But I'd keep my eye out for other jobs if I were you.

Did you have your review today? How did it go?

From what I’ve heard the staff turnover only recently became a problem when the old manager left and the new manager started. My colleague moved departments because he didn’t like the change in management style. Not sure if it’s a problem from up top (obviously the money is) but the style of my boss and my bosses boss are polar opposite.

I think the review went as well as can be expected, I put forward my ideas of where I could improve and how I can be helped to improve. Turns out he was very interested in hearing my opinions on the company.

I said that I feel I could be more efficient if I spent less time involved in the very many discussions and voting sessions that go on in our office and that in future I will keep myself to myself and if I am brought into a discussion I will briefly give my opinion then leave the conversation. In the situations where a discussion is brought to my desk, that is not relevant I will politely suggest the discussion is had when the work being discussed is going to be started as it’s a waste of time otherwise and I get behind.

He said that it was a delicate situation and he in not so many words said he’s been reprimanded before because of delaying decisions and it not being in line with how the company operates. Not sure why he would admit to this lol.

Turns out my boss thinks I perform better than I do but we had some agreements on areas for improvement and he highlighted some things and put forward some ideas.

I’m trying to focus on what I can do to make the best out of the role as I can only change my own behaviour and any job I have will likely have some equally irritating downsides. It’s better than most of my previous jobs in many ways.

The worst I can do is work my ass off and become very good at my job but not get any improvement pay wise over the coming years. Not that bad as I can always move on. I’ve been putting into practice the suggestions for improvements and I’m very happy to report an increase in my efficiency 😇

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived