Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

A day in the life

dias

Fantastic work, Dias!!

Thanks Jib :) and Hidden Kitten :)

Bro accepted a position for a post doc (with funding this time) at Brown University and is leaving for Rhode island in September. A PhD in the US is tempting but I want to try London and see how it goes. When you have good company, you can have such a great time there. Plus, there are lots of women in London; and more importantly lots of women who were checking me out; and even more importantly lots of women without a bra in the posh bars :p :)))))

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the UK. Fortunately I didn’t need root canal, only a dental filling. But I had to do it twice since the first filling was not stable and left. The dentist told me that the next time I will need root canal and a crown. F*ck. I very rarely eat sweets and I brush my teeth religiously twice a day… Problem is, I can’t afford a dentist in the UK (it’s so freaking expensive-400/500 pounds for root canal omg) and I can’t go back and forth to Athens 100 times. Next time I will fly to Poland for any dentistry issues as it is only one hour flight. This is how airlines are built lol.

My supervisor didn’t like my dissertation and I have to alter many parts. I started sending CVs again though. Reaching out some recruiters these days, see what happens.

When I arrived at home in Athens, there were some old photos on the table. I don’t know who was browsing them but there were some I hadn’t seen before-or I had seen them but I didn’t remember. One photo was from my parents’ wedding. I really like my father’s face. Lol. He has this skeptical look. What was he thinking haha “what I am doing right now? Am I making a mistake here?”. It’s not a very clear photo but it is clear enough to laugh hehe

42542544505_673ae43786_z.jpg20180704_091423 by Kwstas papadopoulos, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

So, I got a job as a software consultant at small software/accounting company in the heart of London. I wanted to have a job before graduation to cover my future expenses while I am looking for a serious job. They had a misleading job title (data analyst/developer) but it’s not what they actually do. Many companies use misleading job titles, it’s more catchy. I did figure it out by the end of the first interview so I knew what I was doing. They told me my CV is remarkable. Well I know I have a pretty good CV but remarkable? No. I thought it’s not a serious company. The interviews were pretty easy and got the job within a week. So what’s the catch? The salary is the basic UK salary. The only cool thing is that the company is located in the business district of London which is awesome.

I had to rent in a poor neighborhood in North London due to money limitation. But I had already paid the room in the accommodation in Essex since June (I didn’t have a choice at the time). To commute from Essex to London was 400 pounds per month and given that the salary is 1200 pounds, you understand the budget is tight. Anyways, I am not planning to stay in this job for long. I am sending CVs in other jobs in the UK, Cyprus and 2-3 international companies in Athens. I am talking with a start up that has offices in London and Cyprus. Just waiting to get my degree first.

Thing is, I can’t break into the data science field and I don’t know why is that. I understand that data science jobs are rare but London has the most data science jobs in Europe. What else can I do? I am a bit angry, frustrated and disappointed because the companies don’t take my post graduate studies seriously. They see bachelor degree in computer science, worked as a developer therefore -->software development. Grrr….

Working full time now, moved to another place, finishing my dissertation, all the chores…. I am exhausted. Sometimes in the afternoon I forget how to speak in English (because I don’t have enough energy to think) and sometimes I miss a couple of stops on the way back.

It’s the first time in my life that I live in a poor neighborhood. It’s interesting and disgusting at the same time. My parents want to send me money to rent a nice room somewhere else but there is no point since I don’t know for how long I will be here. Although I have to admit, London is cool when you visit it and when you have money. If you don’t have money, just don’t move to London. But as a headstrong stupid *ss I am I wanted to move to London. I learn the hard way, nothing new. Hahahahaha.

I hope I will find a job as a data scientist within 6 months otherwise I am completely lost. I don’t know what to do in my life. Seriously. I am thinking about travelling again. I am not going to stay at a mediocre paid job just because… I barely tolerate corporate environment anymore.

On another subject, I used tinder and okcupid more these weeks and I got some likes and all good but when I mention I am Greek they disappear. A Spanish guy told me he has the same thing happening to him too. I didn’t know Mediterranean countries have such a bad reputation….? Ok I guess to each his own. Not that I get offended or anything, they didn’t call me ugly hahaha.

Thing is, I can’t break into the data science field and I don’t know why is that. I understand that data science jobs are rare but London has the most data science jobs in Europe. What else can I do? I am a bit angry, frustrated and disappointed because the companies don’t take my post graduate studies seriously. They see bachelor degree in computer science, worked as a developer therefore -->software development. Grrr….

I don't understand. What is their problem with your post graduate studies?

Don't give up. Sometimes it takes a while and that can be very daunting. When I first came out of graduate school, I was frozen with fear about being able to break into the field. I was a 34 year old with a level of architectural experience similar to a 26 year old. I was afraid employers would look at me and say, "What a joke." This fear stopped me from applying for jobs for several months after graduating.

I had enough savings to pay my bills for a decent amount of time, so I mainly relied on that during my fear-phase. But I knew how ridiculous I was being, and I finally decided enough was enough. I had faith in myself and my own ability. I just needed to find someone who was willing to take a chance on me. So I devoted a day to searching google maps for architectural firms in my area. I made a list of their addresses and then printed out about a hundred resumes. Every night for a week, I went through the list, stuffed envelops with my resume, hand addressed them, and put them in the mail.

I got two responses. It seemed 98% of the recipients did think I was a joke.

But it didn't matter. One architect took a chance on me and that's all I needed. I worked for him for two years, then went to work for one of the larges AEC firms in the world. Seven years later, I am still in the field and doing pretty good. I just had to be tenacious.

I hope I will find a job as a data scientist within 6 months otherwise I am completely lost. I don’t know what to do in my life. Seriously. I am thinking about travelling again.

How seriously should they take you when you have half a mind to say "Screw this career, I'm travelling the world"? Maybe it's not so much your degree but your demographic. If you want a certain career, you have to break through. You have to keep showing up at the door until they let you in.

How seriously should they take you when you have half a mind to say "Screw this career, I'm travelling the world"? Maybe it's not so much your degree but your demographic. If you want a certain career, you have to break through. You have to keep showing up at the door until they let you in.

There is some truth in what you say. Maybe I am not 100% percent committed/sure I want this career path. I have to think about it.

Why does it specifically have to be 6 months to find a data science job? Maybe it will take 8, or 9, or a year? Perhaps the companies weren’t taking the postgrad seriously because you haven’t got the degree in hand yet?

I do wonder if I missed out by not following my peers to London after I graduated. Although I think it would be akin to being thrown to the wolves! The others survived for a reason!

Why does it specifically have to be 6 months to find a data science job? Maybe it will take 8, or 9, or a year? Perhaps the companies weren’t taking the postgrad seriously because you haven’t got the degree in hand yet?

I do wonder if I missed out by not following my peers to London after I graduated. Although I think it would be akin to being thrown to the wolves! The others survived for a reason!

I just said 6 months because this is how much time is needed usually to get a good job. It could be a year. I have found out that when I am not obsessed with something or at least determined, it's something I don't really want enough. I am 26, 27 in December. I feel it's too late for major changes. But again, if in 3-4 years I am in the same position what's the point. I have to search deep down if that's what I want. For now though, I have to get my degree and "enjoy" London. I ticked many boxes off my list, there is something positive in the end!

It really depends how much money you make. To have a relatively good quality of life (that's a relative term-depending on the person's upbringing) you need at least 2-2.5K net salary.

26 and too late? Talk to me when you're 50 ;)

You'll likely make a few major changes in the course of your life.

Don't let the way you're thinking stop you from considering anything.

I see people my age having a good job, making money, having children and I am with the minimum wage. I started with the basic salary as a developer in Athens until I got a raise. Now I am starting again with minimum wage in London. I know people less qualified getting entry level jobs with 40K because they had a friend inside or because daddy has connections(witnessed it twice).

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret anything I've done. Still, I haven't found a job that satisfies me. Maybe I will never find it because I am a dreamer. Since I remember myself I wanted to get involved with trade. I never had this opportunity though. I can go back to Greece now and search for a job as a salesman. Then, I am thinking what if it turns out to be a job with no prospect? And then I will be unemployable in both Greece and the UK since I won't be in the technical field anymore. Dunno, I am a bit lost.

Just keep at it and trust that it won't always be this way.

You have youth and intelligence in your favor.

Think out of the box and consider something entirely different. If you took one class a year, what would you have to lose? .. and what are you doing with your spare time at the moment?

I remember my son at 25 saying he wouldn't finish his degree because `it was too late'

I just about fell out of my chair. In October he'll finally finish his 4 year degree. It only took him 8 years.

But had he ran the thought that he was too old or it was too late, he never would have finished it.

He's also changed directions more times than I can count, but that's what you do until you find something that fits.

Think out of the box and consider something entirely different. If you took one class a year, what would you have to lose? .. and what are you doing with your spare time at the moment?

What do you mean? Are you talking about uni? If you mean uni, I am almost finished with my dissertation and in 20 days I will be done with my Master's degree. Just waiting for the marks.
I don't mean any one thing in particular, but you have the privilege of reinventing your life - if you choose to.
I used to believe that too but I am not that certain now. I am not sure if I have unrealistic expectations... I mean, reality always gets in the way.
  • 2 weeks later...

The contract states "Your commencing salary is £18,000 per annum, payable calendar monthly in arrears into the

bank account of your choice". I didn't know what "in arrears" means but I googled it (before I accepted the job) and it says that you get paid at the end of the month. I haven't received my salary yet and it's 9pm. I really don't want this kind of problems right now, I spent more than 1K to move to London for this job. I will try to address this issue next week but if I don't get paid I will quit.

Yes it's the first payment . I just checked my account and fortunately it's there. The transfer happened this morning (due to an unknown reason- I assume it was an admin issue as you mentioned) but I didn't sleep very well as you can imagine. Phew, I have to pay the rent today.

But a good thing happened; I got a 10% raise already :) It's refreshing to know that the CEO acknowledged my work within a month.

It’s pretty common to exchange furtive glances with strangers of the opposite sex while walking on the street or when you are on a train/bus/airplane. But some of them are glances that you remember for years. I could count three of them until today. I still remember these 3 girls (even after 10 years) that I just exchanged a few glances within seconds and I never saw them again. Today, it was the fourth time that this happened.

I was on the train looking outside the window, daydreaming as I always do. My seat was near the toilet. Suddenly a girl came out from the toilet. Damn, I haven’t seen a girl that beautiful for years. The most good looking British girl I’ve seen so far. Victoria’s secret level! And she was so sexy too! There are very beautiful girls who are not sexy and there are very sexy girls who are not beautiful. She was both which is very very rare. When she opened the door she was surprised to see me in front of her and she looked at me straight in the eyes for three-four seconds. As she was leaving she turned her head and looked at me again with a subtle grin.

It’s really sad that these glances come usually from strangers that you will never see again in your life. It would be nice to know what the result would have been under different circumstances. I can only dream the outcome….

It’s pretty common to exchange furtive glances with strangers of the opposite sex while walking on the street or when you are on a train/bus/airplane. But some of them are glances that you remember for years. I could count three of them until today. I still remember these 3 girls (even after 10 years) that I just exchanged a few glances within seconds and I never saw them again. Today, it was the fourth time that this happened.

I was on the train looking outside the window, daydreaming as I always do. My seat was near the toilet. Suddenly a girl came out from the toilet. Damn, I haven’t seen a girl that beautiful for years. The most good looking British girl I’ve seen so far. Victoria’s secret level! And she was so sexy too! There are very beautiful girls who are not sexy and there are very sexy girls who are not beautiful. She was both which is very very rare. When she opened the door she was surprised to see me in front of her and she looked at me straight in the eyes for three-four seconds. As she was leaving she turned her head and looked at me again with a subtle grin.

It’s really sad that these glances come usually from strangers that you will never see again in your life. It would be nice to know what the result would have been under different circumstances. I can only dream the outcome….

Thanks for sharing dias, I can relate.

Not to downplay how beautiful you thought she was, but sounds like you and this girl shared a very special and unique "energy" albeit just for a quick moment, and it's *those* moments we tend to never forget.

I read a post once (either on this forum or another) about a guy who had such a moment (on a bus I think) and after she exited the bus, he decided to get off at the next exit and try to find her.

He actually did find her (can't remember how) and they ended up having a relationship!

That's rare, most times we just end up remembering these special moments with fondness and carrying on with our lives, business as usual, which I agree, in some cases, is sad.

Archived