A day in the life

dias

I went to London on Sunday. A friend took me a tour around the city. We started loitering at 11 am and ended at 7pm. I got exhausted but it was worth it. London is awesome! Better than NYC by far. I see why my grandfather wanted to buy a house here and I think that I will actualize his idea in the future hehe.

I didn’t have time to take artistic photos but here are some:

by Kwstas papadopoulos, on Flickr

Me and my friend:

• 3 weeks later...

The university closed for one month and since everyone left/is leaving and I wouldn’t have any friends around, I came back to Athens until mid January. Flights within Europe are so convenient, 3.5 hours from London to Athens. Left at 2pm from Southend and arrived at 10:30pm, that’s door to door.

There are two Chinese girls in my accommodation flat who started to hit the gym with me. They say I motivate them with my consistency haha. One lost 10 kgs in the last two months. Pretty good results! Yesterday before I left one of them came tearful wishing me good flight and told me that she will miss me. Of course I appreciate her nice words but if I am being honest we are not even close friends nor do we hang out or something. I don’t think that she will miss me (for one month- that’s funny) but she will miss my compliments and the good words I tell her when I meet her. I do compliment all the girls I know and always try to tell them something that will make their day. Not because I like them (either physically or personality wise) but just because why not make a girl’s day if you can? It doesn’t cost anything after all!!

On another subject, do you know the first utterance of a Greek mother when she hasn’t seen her son for a while? Well, it’s like this:

“Oh, you lost weight. You are skinny. It’s like you came from the war”

The next day and after a marathon of food:

“Now you look like a human again. Before you leave for England you will be the good looking son I remember”.

Note that both my parents have a thing for appearance and being overweight is a bit criticized in my family. But for them low body fat is not healthy either…. Go figure…

I talked to some colleagues and “friends” that I hadn’t seen them since July and it seems they got very jealous of me doing a Master’s at Essex University. Dude, sorry it’s not my fault that you have become complacent with your job/life and you don’t have the guts to change that. When I left my job, some of my coworkers who wanted to leave the company (but never did) told me “Hey make the first step and if it’s good tell us”. And at that point I didn’t even have on my mind to study again. Basically, they implied that I am the guinea pig. Motherf*ckers….

What they don’t care to think about is, this Master’s costs 40K(tuition fees + expenses) and many many hours of studying. No, that part doesn’t exist. That I have to search for a job again and maybe face unemployment for some months (hope not). No, who thinks about this? That I am losing one year's income? No, of course not.....

Yeah, we are friends only if I am better than you, but if you get better no, I don’t want to know you. Hypocrite piece of sh*t….. I consider hypocrisy one of the worst personality traits. I know people and I didn’t expect something better but I am disgusted, it makes me feel not to come back again.

Bro got his PhD. YYYYYYYeeeeyyyy. I am really happy for my brother. He already got an offer from a French Professor for a post doctoral position at Sorbonne University with quite high salary!

I don't know if he wants to pursue an academic career since his ambition is to become CEO of a Fortune 500 company but he could excel in the academic environment fairly easily!

• 2 weeks later...

I went out with my brother and his friends last night. He is very outgoing (unlike me) and has many friends. There were about 20 people and all of them were engineers except me that I am a scientist (yeah the bad sheep-hehe). All of them work or do a PhD abroad. Other countries export tomatoes; Greece exports engineers and scientists (and some of them good looking :cool:).

My parents got a bit disappointed when I told them point blank that I came for the weather and not for them. Yeah, not very polite. Anyways, half of the days are hot and sunny and half are cold and rainy but it is still better than the UK. Yesterday I went to the beach for sunbathing. Getting some vitamin D before going back. The only thing I miss is the sun and the sea, nothing else. I do not have any intention to come back permanently. When you start travelling it is not easy to settle down. Travelling is like food, the more you eat the more you want.

Lately I have been thinking a lot about Asia. Europe doesn’t fascinate me anymore, I don’t know why. The idea of finding a job in Europe doesn’t excite me. I would like to find a job in China or Japan or Singapore. Maybe I will get less money but I don’t care. I know I will never make great money in the corporate environment, my personality doesn’t fit there. Therefore, let’s take the best I can get which is experience and travelling around the world. Of course, moving around is not very efficient for building a network but I have a very strong need and desire to travel and work around the world that I would get miserable if I had to stay only in one place. Hope my Chinese friends can help me a little!

You will tell me “ok this is what you want but life doesn’t go as you desire”. I do know that starting again without previous experience* does not leave you many choices and it will be easier to get a job in the UK or in Greece as a Data Scientist. And I have to admit that neither of these two choices fascinates me – for different reasons. Not that they are bad options. Realistically both options are very good for my career and my life if I get a good position. Maybe I am ungrateful, it could be worse, having to choose between two bad options.

In the end, I know I will do what has to be done.... My biggest fear is complacency. Complacency is the worst trap. Thank God, I get bored easily and due to boredom I do get unsettled. My instability has a positive side; imagine that hahaha

* As a Data Scientist you program a lot, if not all the time. But companies tell you “oh you were a developer, as a data scientist you don’t have any experience” and you are like “Are you kidding me? But as a data scientist I will use the same programming languages”….. Companies do whatever they can to give you less money. I get enterprises are not charities and if you are competent open your own company otherwise shut up. That’s what I am doing for the time being!

• 2 weeks later...

Went out with some friends yesterday. Not because I wanted but we are doing the same Master’s degree so I considered it like “networking”. We went to a few clubs. I got my car so I had a good excuse for not drinking much. It was good but I was never into clubs. First of all, I abhor having so many people around me. I feel overwhelmed, I just hate it. The second reason is, I do not have fun this way. I have always been criticized from my family that I don’t go out and socialize. “If you don’t have fun now when are you going to have fun?” This kind of crap. Entertainment is different for everyone…..

I left at 4am. Then I had fun. The coastal avenues are empty at 4am. I like driving fast. Got lucky with the traffic lights and went up to 180km/h which is really impressive for this old car(Opel Astra-2003). I believed that I could get as high as 200km/h but the next traffic light was red. I was swaying for some seconds whether to pass with red and see if I could get up to 200km/h. Then the image of some friends who got killed in car accidents because they drove recklessly conjured up. So I decided not to pass with red. I know very well that when you drive that fast you don’t have any chance of surviving if something happens. But getting your adrenaline pumped up is fun. One day I want to rent a Ferrari and go up to 300+km/h. Just to get the feeling.

Anyways, 4am is the perfect time for driving fast and pondering about life. I went to a remote beach and stayed there for an hour watching the moon and the stars. You see, at this point in life most people are starting to settle down. All my “friends” and acquaintances have found a girlfriend and are settling down. Even “bad” boys and wimps are in serious relationships. And here I am alone, thinking about travelling the world, starting my own business someday etc. I feel I am just getting started. I guess for people who enjoy “everyday” life, settling down is natural. But for me, the only satisfaction (aside from sex of course) I get in life is from actualizing my dreams or at least try. That’s fun for me.

I met my Godmother yesterday. It was good seeing her. She is in her late fifties now, married three times, no kids, mathematician, had her own IT company, sold it 10 years ago and now she enjoys life. We talked about a lot of things.

She reminded me what a rebellious menace I was as a kid hahaha . One particular incident was very funny. My parents didn’t give me allowance, not because they didn’t have but they didn’t want to spoil me. So one time I wanted to buy comics and asked my grandma (my sweet grandma) for money. My mother had given a direct order (as a lieutenant commander she used to act like the Gestapo sometimes) to my grandma to not give me allowance. I couldn’t persuade my grandma with sweet talking or with throwing a tantrum so I went on the verge of the rooftop and threatened my grandma to jump. My grandma got scared and called my mom. I tried to barter with my mother through my grandma who was talking with my mother on the phone to get allowance. Hahahaha. I was such a brat. In the end, my mother didn’t give in and I didn’t get the comics. Mom is a tough cookie hahaha

Then we talked about work and start ups with my Godmother. I told her about quitting my job, doing MSc etc. She knows very well the CEO of the company I worked for as a programmer. They were colleagues and collaborated when they both had companies. The cooperation did not go well though. Anyways she asked me about the job and stuff. At some point I told her I got a 40% raise after the first six months. She got surprised and replied that nobody gets 40% raise in six months and I must have done an exceptional job. I told her that I got hired with the basic salary (a McDonald’s salary) so 40% is nothing. I mean it’s not that I took 50K and went to 70K. She replied that it is the percentage that counts. Well, in my opinion that’s bull, it’s the actual salary that matters not the percentage of the raise. Before I quit I discussed with some senior programmers about salaries. Some of them had exceptionally good salaries because they knew how to play the game (finding another company which offers more, threatening to leave, getting a better offer from the current company etc). So when I told them my salary (after the raise) they replied that I should get the double and believed that the company would offer me a raise in order not to leave. But it never happened. Maybe the reason is that I never threatened to leave because I found something better but I told them point blank that I wanted to travel.

But from now on I will play this game correctly. I see myself as an independent contractor. I get you the job done and I want to get paid fairly. Need to be more ruthless.

Do you call your godmother Noná? That's what I called mine. My godmother was an interesting lady, too. Her first name was actually Cleopatra! She passed away about 10 years ago. I miss her :(

Yeah that's the Greek equivalent!

Cleopatra is a nice name. It is not widely known but Cleopatra was of Greek descent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleopatra

She was descendant of Ptolemy I Soter who was Alexander the Great's general.

You need to have a Greek name to be able to play with Julius Caesar and Mark Antony, right Jibs(or Aspasia:friendly_wink:)?

• 2 weeks later...

Bro got stranded in Zermatt. Ok he couldn't predict the snowfall but ,come on, the weather is awful this period. When you are looking for trouble.....and it's getting worse. Hope there will be no avalanches on the way back....

I called my godmother Noná, as well!

Cleopatra is a nice name. It is not widely known but Cleopatra was of Greek descent. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleopatra

Yup, I knew that :)

You need to have a Greek name to be able to play with Julius Caesar and Mark Antony, right Jibs(or Aspasia:friendly_wink:)?

You remembered! Ha! I've met only one other Aspasia in my life--and she was from Greece. Few people in the US have ever heard of it. But I'm it's probably not such a rare name in Greece.

• Like 1

You remembered! Ha! I've met only one other Aspasia in my life--and she was from Greece. Few people in the US have ever heard of it. But I'm it's probably not such a rare name in Greece.

I remember almost every post I have read from my favorite ENA member :D:friendly_wink:

Aspasia is not very common now because it's an ancient Greek name. I haven't heard it in Greece my whole life. Sure there are some women with that name but it's very very rare.

This is one of these days that you receive too much bad news (thankfully nothing very serious). First you get pissed off, then you curse and cuss like a sailor, then you take a walk hoping that the cold will calm you down but it's not happening, then you eat something, then get emotionally drained and you stop talking and in the end you are totally exhausted for the rest of the day.

I went very well in all my assignments but I failed in one that I expected distinction. As usual it was the easiest dumbest module. Something business-wise , theoretical stuff. When the assignment does not involve numbers, everything is subjective. I went to the professor's office with a list of arguments and I asked for re-mark. It is one of these times that you need to disagree directly and escalate things.

The previous week I went to an interview about a data engineer position for the government (part-time). I went very well prepared, wrote 3 pages of potential questions, learned them by heart and practiced them out loud every day. I do believe I fared very well. Today they replied:

"Acceptable demonstration - Adequate positive evidence of the competency but he did not demonstrate a passion for IT. His focus was more on Data Science and not on administering the SAS Grid to support the Analysts. HMRC has a number of areas looking for Data Scientists, so we would recommend the candidate considers applying for one of those roles."

Well, it is indeed true that I want a position as a Data Scientist and not as a programmer as they wanted. Though I demonstrated my programming skills and told them I don't mind programming. So, in that regard, they were right. Bro told me that's a good feedback. Well, it's not like they say I am completely incompetent or anything but....

Much bad news today. I will take a break for the rest of the day.

I remember almost every post I have read from my favorite ENA member :D:friendly_wink:

Aspasia is not very common now because it's an ancient Greek name. I haven't heard it in Greece my whole life. Sure there are some women with that name but it's very very rare.

Aw, shucks :blushing:

I've met two Aspasias in my life: my grandmother, and the lady I mentioned above. Both were of an older generation. My grandmother was very proud of her name. I'm christened Aspasia, but it's not my "legal" name.

I hope the rest of your day went well. For what it's worth, I think you got very good feedback from that interview, even if it's not what you wanted.

I am starting to understand why people in northern countries drink that much. How many hours can you stay inside a room? I am the most homebody person I know back in Greece but, damn, I feel I am going to explode. The wind outside is seriously cold and it permeates your clothes (and your skin lol). Let alone the rain....Dressed like an onion, I feel “repressed”. In London or in any other big city you can find something to do. In small towns it really gets lonely. I really feel sorry for these people who live in small towns in cold countries. On the other hand, I am probably too Mediterranean for cold climates. I thought that natives shouldn’t feel the same but to my great surprise they absolutely hate the weather. When natives ask me where I am from and they hear Greece, they look at the sky and ask me “What are you doing here?” or “ It takes a lot of determination to come here”. LOL British have humor, I give them that.

One of my (many) uncles is married to a Canadian woman and they live in Vancouver. Every summer when they come to Greece, my aunt asks me why I never visit them. When I applied for universities I was thinking about the University of British Columbia. It’s a really good university. Thankfully I didn’t apply. I can’t imagine myself in -20C. What’s the difference from prison? I do admit, the first settlers had guts to go there.

Everything is more organized here and English are less "crazy" than Greeks. But they don’t have sun and sea (real sea I mean). It’s a trade off like everything, I know. After the exams I will search for job in three fortunes 500 companies I know in Athens. If I can’t get a job there, then I will have to stay here or go to China. Besides, outside of London the salaries are not much higher than in Athens (but there is way more competition in Athens for good positions).

It’s true that you have to lose something to appreciate it.

Edited by dias

The Canadians are strong people who are half polar bears. ;)

The glittering snow and fresh crisp air is unlike anything else. There is beauty is cold as well as warm places.

If you ever get the chance to, you should visit Canada. The beauty is different from Australia and UK or warmer places but it is worth while seeing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last three weeks were not the best. I don’t like being in a bad mood for too long. This week was much better. I put my new clothes and jacket I bought at Christmas, made my hair, shaved and got into my flirting mode. Got many compliments from girls at the university. One very pretty girl who is also part time model told me that she could pay me for sex. Lol that was good. And compliments from pretty girls count for two hahaha. I start to like British girls hahaha

There was a girl at the library I liked that kept eye contact for many seconds but she was with her friends. When girls are with friends, there are only two options: the first is to talk to her friends and “ignore” her to make her a bit jealous or give her a paper with something written. I gave her a paper saying “ you are very sexy, I will be at the cafeteria drinking coffee at 7. You can join me”. Funny thing is, I was surprised that she was not surprised. Guess she expected the move. Never came but worth a try.

But then I went to the club and had one night stand with a very good looking girl. That was even better hehe.

Today is cheat day. I was expecting to binge with a friend but she got food poison. She is better now. Unfortunately I will binge alone. Bought 2 kgs of chicken thighs hahaha. So yeah, this week was good.

I gave her a paper saying “ you are very sexy, I will be at the cafeteria drinking coffee at 7. You can join me”. Funny thing is, I was surprised that she was not surprised. Guess she expected the move. Never came but worth a try.

She might have been surprised but had a good poker face. Great that you tried. No guts, no glory.

Today is cheat day. I was expecting to binge with a friend but she got food poison. She is better now. Unfortunately I will binge alone. Bought 2 kgs of chicken thighs hahaha.

Good grief. You don't know how to cheat!

• Like 1

She might have been surprised but had a good poker face. Great that you tried. No guts, no glory.

Good grief. You don't know how to cheat!

It's more about having fun. I do enjoy that kind of stuff.

Hahahaha. I used to eat pizza and souvlaki but since I overdo it with quantity, everytime I had cheat days I used to put 2 kgs. So now I eat a lot but everything is almost protein. But the 2kgs of chicken thighs were the extra. I ate my regular meals + 2 kgs of chicken+ 1 litre of milk. Can't move right now.

LOL you don't appreciate chicken ladies haha. Thing is, for me cheat meals are more about quantity and less about taste. I eat fried chicken and fried fish sticks sometimes but I can eat hours on end and never feel satiated. Besides, the initial plan was to eat fish and chips with my friend at the restaurant. You know, if you are going to gain weight at least do it with a pleasant company and have fun, not alone.