I hate my dog

Vallan

Yes I've thought about that lonely part. Plus it's not likely going to happen cause my sister is sure to object.

I tried , did not work well , but I guess I'll try again now.

Yes , that's just the bark. But current problem is he does this real high pitch version , and it's loud too. So it really gets on me over time after he constantly does it day after day.

Whining

Whining is a high-pitched vocalization, often produced nasally with the mouth closed. A dog may whine when it wants something, needs or wants to go outside, feels frustrated by leash restraint, is separated from a valued companion (human or otherwise), or just wants attention. It is usually an indication of some increased level of stress for the dog.

A dog can whine because she’s excited, anxious, frustrated, or fearful. Excitement will come with a lot of jumping, circling, yipping, and activity in general. Anxiety is accompanied by nervous pacing, and uncertain body language — ears and tail down, constant looking around.

A frustrated dog may show obsessive behavior while whining, such as scratching at the door or reaching under the couch. A fearful dog will whine while showing submissive body language, possibly even trembling. Such a dog will try to escape by avoiding people or hiding.

Whining is not a dog’s preferred method of communication, but since humans talk all the time, it can be natural for a dog to pick up on this and start vocalizing herself. We can certainly learn some useful information when our dog does whine, but if we do not respond to it properly, it can become an unwanted behavior.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Um, no most people don't have dogs to not interact with them.

Puppies do not raise themselves. You can't just lock up a puppy outside not interact with it and expect it to be OK. That's like throwing the one-year-old outside and saying geez you're annoying please go raise yourself. Dogs need to be fed and watered properly ,exercised ,socialized with people and other animals. They need attention and affection.

If you need to guard your house get a security alarm. Much cheaper and it won't annoy you.

Please read carefully. I'm not saying we're getting these two for guard dogs job. I'm just saying mainly that's how people here take in dogs for that kind of job.

They're not locked up and it's not like I don't do any interaction with them. If it's anything the one that spends most time with those two in my current family is me. Next up's my mom , lastly.. my sibling who barely gives a damn.

Plus during those new years firecracking days , I actually always go out and check on them and sit beside them and hug them until those fireworks died down.

I'm only saying that this high pitch too much yelping part is just starting to get me to feel frustrated recently. It's not like i started off feeling frustrated with B from day one since adoption.

Whining

Whining is a high-pitched vocalization, often produced nasally with the mouth closed. A dog may whine when it wants something, needs or wants to go outside, feels frustrated by leash restraint, is separated from a valued companion (human or otherwise), or just wants attention. It is usually an indication of some increased level of stress for the dog.

A dog can whine because she’s excited, anxious, frustrated, or fearful. Excitement will come with a lot of jumping, circling, yipping, and activity in general. Anxiety is accompanied by nervous pacing, and uncertain body language — ears and tail down, constant looking around.

A frustrated dog may show obsessive behavior while whining, such as scratching at the door or reaching under the couch. A fearful dog will whine while showing submissive body language, possibly even trembling. Such a dog will try to escape by avoiding people or hiding.

Whining is not a dog’s preferred method of communication, but since humans talk all the time, it can be natural for a dog to pick up on this and start vocalizing herself. We can certainly learn some useful information when our dog does whine, but if we do not respond to it properly, it can become an unwanted behavior.

Yes I've read that on a webpage somewhere before regarding the whinning part. But this is more of a yelping for B. I'm linking a audio of B doing it below. It's hard to explain , better if you hear for it yourself.

?

Oof. Probably exclusively because I was raised in a Mexican neighborhood, but my heart just hurt a little bit.

It's also part of most of our house rules here that dogs are not allow indoors.

But we sometimes just let them in when there's guest or just for the fun of rolling all over the living floor.

And there's a a few occasion where I let them come sleep in my room too , but that's just a very few rare occasions.

Different country different house rules , please don't judge us for being inhumane for not allowing them inside and stuffs. They're in the front yard and backyard mostly, It's not like we tie them outside our main gate or anything like that. Maybe people are getting a wrong idea regarding the "outside part"

It's also part of most of our house rules here that dogs are not allow indoors.

But we sometimes just let them in when there's guest or just for the fun of rolling all over the living floor.

And there's a a few occasion where I let them come sleep in my room too , but that's just a very few rare occasions.

Different country different house rules , please don't judge us for being inhumane for not allowing them inside and stuffs. They're in the front yard and backyard mostly, It's not like we tie them outside our main gate or anything like that. Maybe people are getting a wrong idea regarding the "outside part"

No worries. I was just talking about your spelling of chihuahua.
You need to grow up and realize that a) if the dog is exhibiting some poor behaviors, there's likely something going on that you need to look into, and b) it's a puppy, and if he's feeling neglected he's going to act out.

To say you "hate" your puppy is worrisome. I certainly hope you would never abuse or abandon him - but I have a bad feeling about you.

No , nothing's wrong with A. Any slight naughty / cheeky things A does are mostly the sort that makes me give a nuh uh , no then a little happy smile on my face soon.

B is not entirely neglected. As I've said , I spent time with them , just that I might have been loving A slightly more. B's my sibling's pick. But she's the sort that's barely home to spend any time with these two. Let alone her pick B.

Ok maybe it might be causing a little too much misunderstanding with the title. So for another word , maybe it's feeling frustrated.

?

This is the sort of sound he's doing most of the time. I'm sorry but I can't help but to feel annoyed at this if it's a daily and constant thing. I've put up with it before. But this is gone for too long and it's really piling up on me bit by bit.

No , nothing's wrong with A. Any slight naughty / cheeky things A does are mostly the sort that makes me give a nuh uh , no then a little happy smile on my face soon.

B is not entirely neglected. As I've said , I spent time with them , just that I might have been loving A slightly more. B's my sibling's pick. But she's the sort that's barely home to spend any time with these two. Let alone her pick B.

I was listing, not referring to the specific dogs.

I was listing, not referring to the specific dogs.

I'm a bit confuse now as this was your reply earlier...

You need to grow up and realize that a) if the dog is exhibiting some poor behaviors, there's likely something going on that you need to look into, and b) it's a puppy, and if he's feeling neglected he's going to act out.

To say you "hate" your puppy is worrisome. I certainly hope you would never abuse or abandon him - but I have a bad feeling about you.

A lot of this stuff is a dog being a dog. Even though they are family...they are their own species of animal and it must be respected that they are not humans with human behaviors. Don't they have those dog schools in your area where you go with your dog for better communication skills? Some better understanding of dog behaviors helps.

I caught B for eating / really enjoying his own poo. his bad habit of doing loud yelping sound gotten really bad.

Some dogs are just verbal. But you need to be training the dog. And yes, if the dog was in the pound it probably got used to eating it's poo. Mine did for several months after we adopted her. She grew out of it once she realised it wasn't necessary because she has food available. (Make sure the dog is able to eat in peace and the other dog isn't keeping it from food.)

Also, 7 months is a puppy. Of course the dog is behaving like a baby, it is one.

And a weekly bath? Unless the dogs are rolling in mud, that is completely unnecessary. Have you ever owned a dog before?

Some dogs are just verbal. But you need to be training the dog. And yes, if the dog was in the pound it probably got used to eating it's poo. Mine did for several months after we adopted her. She grew out of it once she realised it wasn't necessary because she has food available. (Make sure the dog is able to eat in peace and the other dog isn't keeping it from food.)

Also, 7 months is a puppy. Of course the dog is behaving like a baby, it is one.

And a weekly bath? Unless the dogs are rolling in mud, that is completely unnecessary. Have you ever owned a dog before?

There's not really an issue with them fighting over the food part. Both eats and then goes around exchange licking the other's bowl after that.

Yes , but I'm just saying it's just a little too often. ? this is how he is daily...Overall I still love B , but when he does this , it just sort of made me feel like"god not again , shut it already please" . It isn't that soft whinny sound. It's loud as the link I linked you above..

Yes it's common if you actually own dogs like ours. They're usually in our backyard ,there's bushes and sand there so yup , they do get kinda dirty. Sometimes also to cool themselves from the humidity here , they'll make themselves comfortable right in the drain. It has all those soil / sand which they dug around in our back garden and since it's a little damp , it's just sort of one of their cooling spot. So by a all means..weekly bath is a must.

A lot of this stuff is a dog being a dog. Even though they are family...they are their own species of animal and it must be respected that they are not humans with human behaviors. Don't they have those dog schools in your area where you go with your dog for better communication skills? Some better understanding of dog behaviors helps.

I've heard about a social gathering sort. But that part we do let these two meet up with my other relative's dogs. They get on ok , sometimes they get a bit too excited and jumpy the other dogs just doesn't take it too well after a while before giving them a warning growl. But it's all fine so far. For the understanding part , I don't think any of us are free enough to go to those schools and etc. My mom works and comes home and rest. I do some part time and freelancing too so it's really not possible for me to make any more time for attending schools and stuffs. But I definitely squeeze out 3-4 hours perday to be with those two. For the interacting and short walks and etc.

I do make it up by looking up online about post and forums about people who have similar issues and how they try to settle it whenever I have the free time. Then I'll go and try those tricks out with A and B.

I'm just feeling very frustrated as I'm doing my research and trying to correct B's behavior issues and isn't working out too well. Whereas my sibling / the actual main owner isn't really doing anything about it.

She gets up , and goes out. Comes back late at night. That's it. She's barely around to know these issues with B at all. And there are times when she comes home just to change or get something , when A and B goes up to her and greets her by jumping at her happily.. usually she just shoves them off and goes right in the house. Then goes back out again few mins later , without even giving any slight few mins affection at all..

And here I'm stuck with her dog trying to sort things out. I guess long story short I'm just feeling frustrated with my sibling not doing anything much regarding her dog misbehaving. And also frustrated with B misbehaving while I'm trying to fix it but to no avail as the owner isn't even around to do a crap about it.

Sorry.. Kind of long winded.

The issues seems more like your family than the dog.

My mom works and comes home and rest. She gets up , and goes out. Comes back late at night. She's barely around to know these issues with B at all. And there are times when she comes home just to change or get something , when A and B goes up to her and greets her by jumping at her happily.. usually she just shoves them off and goes right in the house. Then goes back out again few mins later , without even giving any slight few mins affection at all..And here I'm stuck with her dog trying to sort things out. I guess long story short I'm just feeling frustrated with my sibling not doing anything much regarding her dog misbehaving.

I'm sympathetic to your frustrations and I don't think you deserve some of the harsh statements. But the fact is a lot of people have given you advice on getting professional training or sending the dogs (or helping them "run away") to a shelter. Yet you keep repeating your frustrations without any formal plan of resolving this one way or another.

I think you really tried to take care of both dogs and it sounds like you're the only one in your family. For that I applaud your loving spirit and intent. But you have to admit that taking care of two dogs by yourself is too much to handle, especially with larger dogs that need a lot of activity and one with behavior issues. You need to send the dogs to a non-kill shelter. I like the "run away" suggestion if you don't think your sister and mom would agree.

Otherwise, what are you going to do? Keep getting more frustrated? B is only going to get worse because even though you give both dogs time (I say time not attention, it's not the same because even the time you spend with him you don't really enjoy being with him), he can pick up on the fact that you resent him. And if he already has anxiety or separation issues, that's only going to make him worse, not better. Don't underestimate the emotional needs, complexity, and capacity of animals and don't overestimate their ability to understand you exactly as you want (even humans can't do that!).

I'm convinced this is a troll post.

Our thoughts here regarding these kind of picked up strays are basically just on guard dog duty , main purpose wise. We have owners here who beat their dogs until they wailed to get them to be obedient.

This is how you raise an aggressive dog. And if your dog bites the wrong person – even worse, the victim was a careless neighborhood child – you and your sister will be faced with a lawsuit, the dog will be put down, AND your other dog will be surrendered to a local agency (and you won't get the dog back). The court also has the power to place a probation on your family to never own any animal on your property.

My family has been sued before over one of our dogs. We nearly had our dog euthanized… all because he jumped on a woman and scratched her. I'm not even joking. There are some crazy, lawsuit-happy people out there who will look for anything to get lawsuit money- and a dog is a cash cow.

You do not know how to raise a dog. You need professional help before you can adopt an animal. Dogs are high maintenance that require a lot of care.

Please read carefully. I'm not saying we're getting these two for guard dogs job. I'm just saying mainly that's how people here take in dogs for that kind of job.

They're not locked up and it's not like I don't do any interaction with them.

They need to be interacting with other dogs AND other people or you are training aggressive dogs. Socialization is a key in dog training.

So by a all means..weekly bath is a must.

No dude. By bathing them weekly, you are removing their natural skin oils and by doing so, YOU are causing the dog to have serious skin infections later down the line. I had a dog who had major skin problems… $400 vet bills a month for medication and the problem did not go away.

You need to be supervising your dog and making sure they aren't rolling around in the dirt.

I've heard about a social gathering sort. But that part we do let these two meet up with my other relative's dogs. They get on ok , sometimes they get a bit too excited and jumpy the other dogs just doesn't take it too well after a while before giving them a warning growl.

If your dogs did that to my dog, mine would attack them out of fear. You’re incredibly lucky their dogs didn’t lash out at yours. This is why training is an absolute must and begins the moment you bring them home.

A poorly behaved dog is a key sign of a bad owner. Like it or not, people WILL judge you for a misbehaving dog, just as others would judge a parent for a badly behaving child.

I'm sympathetic to your frustrations and I don't think you deserve some of the harsh statements. But the fact is a lot of people have given you advice on getting professional training or sending the dogs (or helping them "run away") to a shelter. Yet you keep repeating your frustrations without any formal plan of resolving this one way or another.

I think you really tried to take care of both dogs and it sounds like you're the only one in your family. For that I applaud your loving spirit and intent. But you have to admit that taking care of two dogs by yourself is too much to handle, especially with larger dogs that need a lot of activity and one with behavior issues. You need to send the dogs to a non-kill shelter. I like the "run away" suggestion if you don't think your sister and mom would agree.

Otherwise, what are you going to do? Keep getting more frustrated? B is only going to get worse because even though you give both dogs time (I say time not attention, it's not the same because even the time you spend with him you don't really enjoy being with him), he can pick up on the fact that you resent him. And if he already has anxiety or separation issues, that's only going to make him worse, not better. Don't underestimate the emotional needs, complexity, and capacity of animals and don't overestimate their ability to understand you exactly as you want (even humans can't do that!).

Yes , I'm thinking that B is better off somewhere / someone / back in shelter. Cause my sibling isn't really providing any of those attention needs. I do provide , but as you said , I'm definitely giving A more than B. Might not be a fair thing , but I can't help it. I wasn't too okay when the decision went with 2 dogs instead of one. But I thought my sibling would be taking care of hers rather than how things are now.

"run away" suggestion as in..? Let B lose someone where and claim it as an accident loose? But then here we do have cases where dogs without license are shot .. so.. if it's anything I still think the shelter's best.. although runaway would be easier but there's a chance he might get shot.

I'm convinced this is a troll post.

This is how you raise an aggressive dog. And if your dog bites the wrong person – even worse, the victim was a careless neighborhood child – you and your sister will be faced with a lawsuit, the dog will be put down, AND your other dog will be surrendered to a local agency (and you won't get the dog back). The court also has the power to place a probation on your family to never own any animal on your property.

My family has been sued before over one of our dogs. We nearly had our dog euthanized… all because he jumped on a woman and scratched her. I'm not even joking. There are some crazy, lawsuit-happy people out there who will look for anything to get lawsuit money- and a dog is a cash cow.

You do not know how to raise a dog. You need professional help before you can adopt an animal. Dogs are high maintenance that require a lot of care.

They need to be interacting with other dogs AND other people or you are training aggressive dogs. Socialization is a key in dog training.

No dude. By bathing them weekly, you are removing their natural skin oils and by doing so, YOU are causing the dog to have serious skin infections later down the line. I had a dog who had major skin problems… $400 vet bills a month for medication and the problem did not go away.

You need to be supervising your dog and making sure they aren't rolling around in the dirt.

If your dogs did that to my dog, mine would attack them out of fear. You’re incredibly lucky their dogs didn’t lash out at yours. This is why training is an absolute must and begins the moment you bring them home.

A poorly behaved dog is a key sign of a bad owner. Like it or not, people WILL judge you for a misbehaving dog, just as others would judge a parent for a badly behaving child.

You're just cropping out parts of the convo. The first one you cropped is just actually me giving an example of how I saw one of my past neighbour used to treat her dog. That is NOT how I'm treating these two at the moment.

Secondly , regarding the bath weekly. Even the vet advice so. I've read that dogs like doing that. There's no dirt / completely mud at our backyard , but sometimes the soils might be a bit damp after the rain. Either way they do get dirty. And it's not like any of us don't require any sleep to sit there 24/7 and tell them off when they go playing on the grass area. As a matter of fact their skin issues has been better now compared to when we first brought them back from the shelter.

It sounds like where you live is not a great place for dogs. I'm probably in a minority of one here but the conditions in the shelter didn't sound great, so I think the dogs would be better off with a dysfunctional family than there.

I think your sister made a bad choice of dog and it is up to her to take responsibility. You should talk to your mother.

It sounds like where you live is not a great place for dogs. I'm probably in a minority of one here but the conditions in the shelter didn't sound great, so I think the dogs would be better off with a dysfunctional family than there.

I think your sister made a bad choice of dog and it is up to her to take responsibility. You should talk to your mother.

Just did a few moments ago. As usual my mom is covering up for my sibling. Saying she has college. But I know even if it's college, if my sibling gives up some of her schedule there's definitely enough time for her dog B. She often goes running / jogging around our neighbourhood. I asked her once before why doesn't she bring the dogs along and run with her. The excuse was , " Because I need to be constantly running , the dogs don't do that they like to stop a while sometimes" thus , never brings them out when I clearly see there's an opportunity there. And during nights there are also chances that she can bring them out for walks. But she chose to go with "nah I'm tired". Only later I find her having the energy to go gossiping and laughing with people on the phone till late at night , or sometimes she just webcams with a lot people + laugh and laugh in her room. Pardon me if I'm wrong , but I just don't see how that kind of thing equals to "busy with college".

I also mentioned to my mom that we might have made a mistake getting 2 dogs? She quickly reply " NOPE , cause they have each other for friends"

I didn't bothered to reply on that one after that. I just know it might be true , but saying is easier than done. Yes, two = friends. But what about those responsibilities and etc? I will give all I can for A whenever I'm free , since I picked A , I will take care of this one till the end. But thing is I didn't really signed up for B.

I'm giving up trying to do any corrections and stuffs on B now. And perhaps sooner or later they're going to start realizing things I've been trying to point out.Going to a better home or the shelter isn't really going to happen as I can see from my mother's reply earlier. So.. so be it. I'm too tired to deal with B. I'll do it their way to take it back , relax and don't bother telling off B when it does anything wrong. It's much easier for me that way too - to not care.

I grew up in a place where it wasn't uncommon for adults to drown 'unwanted' puppies and shoot dogs they no longer wished to care for.

You can't blame culture for your own choices in life.

Matbe it's just me but I never had an issue standing up for what I believed. If you believe the treatment of this dog is wrong, do something.

It sucks there are people who give up on caring. But whether you become one of them or not is up to you.

Just remember that pup is innocent in all this. He needs your help.

I grew up in a place where it wasn't uncommon for adults to drown 'unwanted' puppies and shoot dogs they no longer wished to care for.

You can't blame culture for your own choices in life.

Matbe it's just me but I never had an issue standing up for what I believed. If you believe the treatment of this dog is wrong, do something.

It sucks there are people who give up on caring. But whether you become one of them or not is up to you.

Just remember that pup is innocent in all this. He needs your help.

Main thing is that dog B isn't getting enough attention most likely. And this B is actually my sibling's pick.

I wasn't too sure about getting 2 dogs at first , but in the end when I thought maybe my sibling would do her part of the taking care job then that's fine. I wasn't expecting her to neglect B more and more by the day. It's only once in a blue moon she takes B out for a walk. And what's more is that my sibling might be going overseas soon too. So Im just trying to picture what's going to happen with B after that.

I picked A. I do my part , spent time with walks and all , and it's all good. But thing is I just don't have the energy and time to deal with B too.

I do give time for B , but I'm not gonna lie it's just not as much as I do for A.

Just did a few moments ago. As usual my mom is covering up for my sibling. Saying she has college. But I know even if it's college, if my sibling gives up some of her schedule there's definitely enough time for her dog B. She often goes running / jogging around our neighbourhood. I asked her once before why doesn't she bring the dogs along and run with her. The excuse was , " Because I need to be constantly running , the dogs don't do that they like to stop a while sometimes" thus , never brings them out when I clearly see there's an opportunity there. And during nights there are also chances that she can bring them out for walks. But she chose to go with "nah I'm tired". Only later I find her having the energy to go gossiping and laughing with people on the phone till late at night , or sometimes she just webcams with a lot people + laugh and laugh in her room. Pardon me if I'm wrong , but I just don't see how that kind of thing equals to "busy with college".

I also mentioned to my mom that we might have made a mistake getting 2 dogs? She quickly reply " NOPE , cause they have each other for friends"

I didn't bothered to reply on that one after that. I just know it might be true , but saying is easier than done. Yes, two = friends. But what about those responsibilities and etc? I will give all I can for A whenever I'm free , since I picked A , I will take care of this one till the end. But thing is I didn't really signed up for B.

I'm giving up trying to do any corrections and stuffs on B now. And perhaps sooner or later they're going to start realizing things I've been trying to point out.Going to a better home or the shelter isn't really going to happen as I can see from my mother's reply earlier. So.. so be it. I'm too tired to deal with B. I'll do it their way to take it back , relax and don't bother telling off B when it does anything wrong. It's much easier for me that way too - to not care.

Your sister does not NEED to run. Walking is just as good and does not strain the legs so much. Your sister just seems an irresponsible bovine and your mum not much better. It's futile expecting that either of them will have a "eureka" moment. It won't happen. Their minds are made up, so don't try to confuse them with the facts.

Maybe the way to make the best of a bad job is to simply ignore the yelping. I've a feeling that B does it to get attention, even bad attention. You don't say that you take A for walks without B. You should walk them together if you are not doing so already.

Yes , but I'm just saying it's just a little too often. ? this is how he is daily...Overall I still love B , but when he does this , it just sort of made me feel like"god not again , shut it already please" . It isn't that soft whinny sound. It's loud as the link I linked you above..

Honestly, that is not a happy dog. Have you thought about taking him back to the kennel so he can be rehomed? If your sister won't look after her animal, she shouldn't have one and the dog deserves better than to be punished because he was adopted by someone who doesn't care about him.

My sister adopted a dog years ago and left allll of the actual care, walking, feeding to me and my dad. And we did it because you can't make another living thing suffer because you're angry at someone else.

Archived