I hate my dog

Vallan

Your sister does not NEED to run. Walking is just as good and does not strain the legs so much. Your sister just seems an irresponsible bovine and your mum not much better. It's futile expecting that either of them will have a "eureka" moment. It won't happen. Their minds are made up, so don't try to confuse them with the facts.

Maybe the way to make the best of a bad job is to simply ignore the yelping. I've a feeling that B does it to get attention, even bad attention. You don't say that you take A for walks without B. You should walk them together if you are not doing so already.

Well earlier she's out for her jogging , and I went and check on the dogs , she took neither of them again.

Yes unfortunately sometimes that happens , if I happen to be feeling too tired I'll only handle as much as one dog. It's not a piece of cake walking two at one go. Sometimes I need to pay attention on things like stones or thrown out chicken bones during walks where they'll pick up and chew. And tugging them away if there's another stray roaming nearby and stuffs. It gets even harder when both decide to go different ways and etc. Which is why I kept stressing that why don't she just take them along during her jogs and runs. Would be better for B too , since he's a male and has more pent up energy. But it's not like my sibling gives a damn about what I say anyway. So I'm done really.

I've decided I might as well just go with the option on the ignore those yelping parts now and hope that none of the neighbours file any complaints.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, that is not a happy dog. Have you thought about taking him back to the kennel so he can be rehomed? If your sister won't look after her animal, she shouldn't have one and the dog deserves better than to be punished because he was adopted by someone who doesn't care about him.

My sister adopted a dog years ago and left allll of the actual care, walking, feeding to me and my dad. And we did it because you can't make another living thing suffer because you're angry at someone else.

That was my thought. But my sibling and my mother are against it. So I don't really have a say in this anymore. She picked B = B is her dog = so it's all her say. End of story.

Done quarreling with her on that part too where I just said if this is how she's going to be why adopted another dog in the first place. Then reply I got was that I don't have a life like her , since I'm home more I don't understand what a life is where she don't have any time for her own dog , and how sad of a person I am to not have friends like her and that my only friend is the dog and crap goes on. But well. I've been thinking about it and I'm done with the talking and convincing part.

I see , looks like you got into a similar situation there. But at least it's only one you guys have there. We've got two here. If it's one I could've handled just fine.

You're just cropping out parts of the convo. The first one you cropped is just actually me giving an example of how I saw one of my past neighbour used to treat her dog. That is NOT how I'm treating these two at the moment.

You mentioned in another post before that of how your family altogether raised the last dog the same way. And I am copying YOUR exact words. If you feel strongly about what you wrote then maybe you need reevaluate your message.

And so far you have not been socializing and training your dogs well. That will lead to aggression.

Secondly , regarding the bath weekly. Even the vet advice so. I've read that dogs like doing that. There's no dirt / completely mud at our backyard , but sometimes the soils might be a bit damp after the rain. Either way they do get dirty. And it's not like any of us don't require any sleep to sit there 24/7 and tell them off when they go playing on the grass area. As a matter of fact their skin issues has been better now compared to when we first brought them back from the shelter.

Your vet is wrong. I've had professional groomers and vets tell me that it is not healthy to bathe the dog weekly because it will cause severe skin irritation. Rinsing dirt off or wiping muddy paws vs. giving a dog a full bath with shampoo are two different things.

Also you should have full control of your dog at all times. If they get into something they shouldn't, you need to train them to leave it. You need to reprimand the dog on the spot or the dog will continue the behavior. That's part of being a responsible owner.

Fecal consumption is usually a sign of poor diet... It's pretty normal for dogs raised on commercial pet foods. They're a relatively new trend in the history of dog owning, and many of them don't do much for a dog's needs. It's honestly pretty common and pretty normal...

But the yelping is almost definitely anxiety...

People tend to personify dogs and try to analyze their behaviour from a human-perspective.

Their sense of security rests in their faith in pack safety, which lies on the pack leader.

Having a regular owner interacting with, feeding, and walking dog B will correct the behavior. Dog B needs a reliable owner to bond to in order to feel more secure when a family member leaves, and also needs to feel like there's less of a difference in their standing with dog A.

The truth is you either accept responsibility for all dogs in the house, fix the personal issues in your household, or you have problems. They're pack animals and one person leads, or two people exhert equal efforts and responsibilities. That's just how they're wired...

Despite the way it's treated, pet ownership should not be a privilege, it's a responsibility... So... You either absorb the responsibility, or you figure a way to get dog B into the hands of people willing to provide a better environment for the dog, and you continue doing a good job with the dog you're responsible for..

I'm sure people are biting your heads off, but that's pretty unproductive... Besides, most people who shouldn't own dogs can't be bothered to ask for help, so at least you're trying.

All dogs need healthy socialization with other dogs. Just like people... Even aggressive behaviour usually stems from fear and negative experience. Honestly, aggression is usually just an over-extended defense...

The human component is irrelevant. No amount of desire or emotional attachment can't fix problems with a dog if the heart and mind aren't there to provide what they really need, as separate creatures with different priorities.

I grew up in a place where it wasn't uncommon for adults to drown 'unwanted' puppies and shoot dogs they no longer wished to care for.

You can't blame culture for your own choices in life.

Matbe it's just me but I never had an issue standing up for what I believed. If you believe the treatment of this dog is wrong, do something.

It sucks there are people who give up on caring. But whether you become one of them or not is up to you.

Just remember that pup is innocent in all this. He needs your help.

^^^ basically.

Help the dog "run away" by taking it to a shelter two or three towns away.

I'll get in trouble that way. I'm done with that. Even if I'm trying to do the right thing but I'll be getting some real negative scoldings from her and my sister later I rather pass.

B's a keep as my mother said. I'll give it some time and attention if I'm free , but it's just not going to be as much as for A. Cause I really did not signed up for two in the first place. I knew I can only handle as much as one when we went to the shelter that day. But the other smart head decided she wanted a dog of her own too and end up feeling bored with B by now and expect us to do her job. I'm so done with that kind of cycle with her.

I'll be ignoring the yelping part too. So that's that.

Thanks for actually listening and for your advice till now.

You mentioned in another post before that of how your family altogether raised the last dog the same way. And I am copying YOUR exact words. If you feel strongly about what you wrote then maybe you need reevaluate your message.

And so far you have not been socializing and training your dogs well. That will lead to aggression.

Your vet is wrong. I've had professional groomers and vets tell me that it is not healthy to bathe the dog weekly because it will cause severe skin irritation. Rinsing dirt off or wiping muddy paws vs. giving a dog a full bath with shampoo are two different things.

Also you should have full control of your dog at all times. If they get into something they shouldn't, you need to train them to leave it. You need to reprimand the dog on the spot or the dog will continue the behavior. That's part of being a responsible owner.

The beating the dog until it starts wailing is from the neighbor living opposite ours. It's not our past dogs.

They don't really have any aggression issues. If it's anything they're a little too friendly. Like they go and jump on people who visit us , happy wagging / over excited. Sometimes we also let them have their time with other dogs from my other relatives. Although none of those are at their puppy age. But that's the part where I think they can learn about the over excitement part. I've read in posts saying that puppies learn to control when adult dogs give them a snap or growl to say "snap it off" if it's too much. So far I've seen some trying to tell these two about the over licking face part. If it ever gets bad like the adult dog getting really furious and biting them for real , by all means we'll step in by then.

Yes that's what I've been trying to say.. I've been correcting B on the spot but it just isn't working. But I'd rather my sister starts taking over that and do her job now. I'm the one who's usually around A and B to see what they do and tell them off if they're doing what they aren't suppose to. But it's just getting a bit tiring. I didn't quite sign up for 2 of them in the first place. I know well I can handle only one. Just that my sibling decided that she wanted another one , so we end up having two. And she end up not bothering much with B so.. thus this is how the situation ends up now.

Fecal consumption is usually a sign of poor diet... It's pretty normal for dogs raised on commercial pet foods. They're a relatively new trend in the history of dog owning, and many of them don't do much for a dog's needs. It's honestly pretty common and pretty normal...

But the yelping is almost definitely anxiety...

People tend to personify dogs and try to analyze their behaviour from a human-perspective.

Their sense of security rests in their faith in pack safety, which lies on the pack leader.

Having a regular owner interacting with, feeding, and walking dog B will correct the behavior. Dog B needs a reliable owner to bond to in order to feel more secure when a family member leaves, and also needs to feel like there's less of a difference in their standing with dog A.

The truth is you either accept responsibility for all dogs in the house, fix the personal issues in your household, or you have problems. They're pack animals and one person leads, or two people exhert equal efforts and responsibilities. That's just how they're wired...

Despite the way it's treated, pet ownership should not be a privilege, it's a responsibility... So... You either absorb the responsibility, or you figure a way to get dog B into the hands of people willing to provide a better environment for the dog, and you continue doing a good job with the dog you're responsible for..

I'm sure people are biting your heads off, but that's pretty unproductive... Besides, most people who shouldn't own dogs can't be bothered to ask for help, so at least you're trying.

All dogs need healthy socialization with other dogs. Just like people... Even aggressive behaviour usually stems from fear and negative experience. Honestly, aggression is usually just an over-extended defense...

The human component is irrelevant. No amount of desire or emotional attachment can't fix problems with a dog if the heart and mind aren't there to provide what they really need, as separate creatures with different priorities.

Yes from the few helpful feedbacks I've gotten so far , I guess it's the separation / anxiety issue with dog B regarding the constant high pitch yelping.

And that's cause my sibling/the actual owner is barely bothered to do anything with B. Walking's only once in a while. But even just being around B is quite a rare sight by now compared to the first few weeks when she got B back as a 3 months pup. Even when she goes out jogging / running , when I asked why not bring the dog along. And the return excuse was that she needs to be constantly running , and the dog likes to stop once in a while so no , she can't bring them along. I don't know about you , but to me it's just a petty excuse.

This is how B sounds with the high pitch yelp

Though to be frank , I do pity that B isn't getting enough attention and affection , but this kind of daily routine is starting to get on my nerve at some point. I don't think anyone can take this sort of annoying pitch daily without a twitching. ( Don't worry , most I did was yell at B before to shut it , not going to get physical even though it's just getting real irritating , will start ignoring it instead now )

I get the being a pack leader thing. But I'm more or less only in for one dog. We actually went to the shelter with the idea of just getting one. But somewhat ended up with two cause my sibling wanted another of her own. I was a bit uncertain about that but i was thinking IF she's taking responsibility on the one she pick , then I guess its fine , but look how it end up now. I certainly do not have the energy and time to look after two here. I did mentioned that if that's how she's going to be , don't adopt one in the first place and let it go back to the shelter. And my sibling went on about how unfair I'm being and favoring A more , how I don't have a life like her that I'm only mostly home with the dogs and how sad that I do not have friends and only friends I've got is my dog and crap crap crap. Then again who is she to say as she , being the actual owner for B is barely around that dog.

My mother did not agree with the idea of returning B to the shelter either.

By far only option for a solution for me is that I start ignoring those yelpings from B.

I will give B attention , but it just isn't going to be a fair one to as much as I give to A.

Whether B get use to that or starts yelping more I don't really want to try solve that anymore, since the actual owner isn't really giving any damn about it in the first place.

Thanks for reading and giving me some useful feedbacks before simply bashing me for the title of this post. Really thank you for that.

Well, the situation sucks, maybe try including B into the attention you give to A? I get that you didn't sign up for B, but if you're caring for one dog, taking on a second isn't a huge increase in the workload. Think of it like a kid. Sure, you only like your own, but you can't exactly tell the rest of them to f**k off. Walk both dogs at the same time, take them both to the park, you can play with both of them at the same time, put food into a second bowl, and be nice enough to pet B every now and then.

Over time B will look up to you, the yelping will stop, and your sister will probably be upset that the dog's more bonded to you than her. At which point that's up to you whether it's worth pointing out that's because you're the one taking care of it. Who knows, you might even get attached to B once it calms down and gets to be a happy dog.

Also, maybe use this as motivation to get your own place. Your sister sounds irresponsible and self-centered, and your mom isn't exactly acknowledging a problem that's under her own roof.

You might have addressed this, but I'm honestly not going to read through 10 pages of text for a pretty cut and dry problem.

Well, the situation sucks, maybe try including B into the attention you give to A? I get that you didn't sign up for B, but if you're caring for one dog, taking on a second isn't a huge increase in the workload. Think of it like a kid. Sure, you only like your own, but you can't exactly tell the rest of them to f**k off. Walk both dogs at the same time, take them both to the park, you can play with both of them at the same time, put food into a second bowl, and be nice enough to pet B every now and then.

Over time B will look up to you, the yelping will stop, and your sister will probably be upset that the dog's more bonded to you than her. At which point that's up to you whether it's worth pointing out that's because you're the one taking care of it. Who knows, you might even get attached to B once it calms down and gets to be a happy dog.

Also, maybe use this as motivation to get your own place. Your sister sounds irresponsible and self-centered, and your mom isn't exactly acknowledging a problem that's under her own roof.

You might have addressed this, but I'm honestly not going to read through 10 pages of text for a pretty cut and dry problem.

Oh B is included of course , but I'm saying it just isn't going to be as much as A.

Both usually comes up to greet me when I go check on them. During heavy rain with thunder moments , I do sit out with them at the backyard. Both A and B will come looking for me and lean next to me , then I'll have my arms around them.

As I've said though , I do give both attention and affection , but not a 50-50 balance sort. That's all. Which is why I'm frustrated with the yelpings. It's not like B is totally getting ignored , he gets pet too and all.

But should B be looking for the sort of full attention sort from owner to dog where it's all about him, then I'm just not the one. That's on my sibling.

I have not read the whole topic, but even from the first post it was clear that you need to find this dog a new and loving owner. You feel what you feel-at least you are honest to admit it-but the dog is now in the situation where there is no one to love him or her. It sounds like he feels that too. And it looks like that as your sister does not assume the whole responsibility, the dog does not have an owner anyway.

I can see that you are trying your best to look after you Sister's dog, but you just cannot love him. So, to me there are 2 choices here:1) give the dog for adoption ( better choice) or, if the former is not possible, stop blaming yourself for not loving him, and just do your best to look after him. it is not good to compare the dogs-you see them differently because you love only 1 of them.

Did you speak to your mum about your feelings? What does she think? Since you two care for the dog more than your sister does, it's up to you two to make the decision.

You sister has to either find enough time to become the owner or to admit she cannot be the one at present .

You don't say what type of dogs they are. I've seen enormous differences in temperaments and personalities of different breeds I've had. Former partner of mine hated my little lap dog because he was different to his much larger working dog. My dog can get happy too, and no matter what I do, part of it is his breed. I've been told it's common for ? Bichon Freise to eat their poop. I suspect that dog B would do lots better with a much older person who has a lot more time for him/her. My dog is really like a little did to me and has a great life. Misses me if I'm not there and so excited to see me when I get home. Fortunately, I have porches around my home and it's well fenced in for him. He has lots to look at while I'm gone, and he considers his job to protect the property, especially when I'm away. Wish I could give B a big cuddle. I'd probably want to bring him home.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11023[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...

hey there,

i have a dog and i went through some similar issues (kinda) when i first got her....for starters, dog A sounds like shes doing fine, so that's great! do the 2 dogs both get on with each other?

also, dog B is still a puppy too and all dogs mature at different times...if this is really disrupting you then how about puppy/dog training? it helped my dog so it could help you...good luck!

• 2 months later...

Giving away a dog to the shelter is not the solution, they are not toys and may go to a worse home.

Plenty of exercise, big bones to munch on and toys and interacting = happy quiet dogs ! Takes 20 - 30 mins of your time per day to walk a dog, one it benefits the dog and two it benefits yourself, fresh air, healthy, different scenery and it tires dogs, so they are happy and not bored. I know when I walk my dogs they are puffed out and nap afterwards.

Dogs yap for attention, when they need something etc Also different breeds have different temperaments and some yap more because that's their personality, however never saw a dog yap when they have something to chew on !!

Archived