I hate my dog

Vallan

A's doing very fine , and I'm loving her very much and she's been much much more obedient than B... B's a bit too much for me to handle. And B's actually my sister's pick. But she barely takes up any responsibility on him.

We actually only wanted one at first. But my sibling wanted B , and plus the encouragement from the lady from the shelter asking us that if that's the case why not just take two instead. And this is how things end up .. Only problem now is just B.

My mom only helps with the cleaning up poops and giving them food. But not on the spending time and walking part. So that's only up to my sibling and I. And please do not blame my mom for that , she's not that young anymore and I don't really like to ask anymore from her.

I'm definitely not a very athletic person here. But I do my best on bringing them for short walks around the neighbourhood.

My siblilng probably has more stamina , but the problem is that she doesn't bothers with them most of the time.

The bottom line is it doesn't matter. The dogs needs are not being meet by the family that choose to adopt him (your guys). So either provide what he needs or give him to someone else who can.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has your family ever owned dogs before? I ask because you sound very new to all this. Do they have short or long hair? The shelter should have also told you their best guess for what breeds they are, even being mutts. Are they says 10lbs or less? 20-30lbs? 40 - 50? 50 or more?

Hmm.. yes we did before way back when I was still small. But the dogs back then is the sort where we just have them around to guard the house. Basically it's just feed them food and they guard the house. That's it.

No play time , no cuddling , no walkies much. They're just there to guard the house.

Most of the people here have dogs for that purpose only to be honest..

Only that now I feel I want to try do things right. And I start to notice a lot of things I haven't seen before with our dogs last time. But I don't really remember any of them ever making so much yelping of wanting attention as much as the current B.

A's doing fine. I might have gotten people confuse as I see their replies of your poor dogs and all. There's only problem with one , not really on both.

Last vet visit weight around 12-13 kg.

No , the shelter has no idea. They just take in a lot of strays there. When we did our adoption visit there.. there was say.. rough estimation , maybe almost 100 adult strays there.. So , seriously , they don't really have any idea about the breeds.

I think dog B is sensing that you favor dog A as you readily admit to doing so.

Tell you mom to tell your sister to take care of that dog or else she is going to be taken back to the shelter.

I don't like your sister's attitude of how she says she has a life and you don't. It sounds like she doesn't plan on changing anything about the situation because she's never around enough for dog B to bother her much. To be honest, she sounds pretty selfish. If your mom refuses to step up to give her the ultimatum, tell her the ultimatum yourself and take the dog to the shelter. Give your sister a deadline so that she knows there's pressure.

And you have to be strong enough to really take that dog back to the shelter. You can't just wimp out at the last minute. Otherwise, your sister will know that your words mean nothing.

Quite simply, it sounds like you need to get out of the house more.

I do think some of the language toward the OP is a bit harsh. It sounds a lot like misdirected frustration than a genuine hatred. I don't see any indicators of abuse and OP has tried to provide the dog affection in lieu of her sister stepping up. However, depending on your age, OP, you really should have the capability to rationalize and empathize to know better than blaming the dog to any extent.

It kind of built up , it all started fine. I loved both before. It's only recently I'm starting to feel frustrated.

Hmm.. yes we did before way back when I was still small. But the dogs back then is the sort where we just have them around to guard the house. Basically it's just feed them food and they guard the house. That's it.

No play time , no cuddling , no walkies much. They're just there to guard the house.

Most of the people here have dogs for that purpose only to be honest..

Only that now I feel I want to try do things right. And I start to notice a lot of things I haven't seen before with our dogs last time. But I don't really remember any of them ever making so much yelping of wanting attention as much as the current B.

A's doing fine. I might have gotten people confuse as I see their replies of your poor dogs and all. There's only problem with one , not really on both.

Last vet visit weight around 12-13 kg.

No , the shelter has no idea. They just take in a lot of strays there. When we did our adoption visit there.. there was say.. rough estimation , maybe almost 100 adult strays there.. So , seriously , they don't really have any idea about the breeds.

Um, no most people don't have dogs to not interact with them.

Puppies do not raise themselves. You can't just lock up a puppy outside not interact with it and expect it to be OK. That's like throwing the one-year-old outside and saying geez you're annoying please go raise yourself. Dogs need to be fed and watered properly ,exercised ,socialized with people and other animals. They need attention and affection.

If you need to guard your house get a security alarm. Much cheaper and it won't annoy you.

So a medium size dog. My guess is B has at least one hunting breed like a Beagle in her blood. Hunting dogs are vocal and high energy and its YOUR (as a family) responsibility as the owners to provide what she needs to reduce her anxiety and energy.

So either do it or give the dog to someone who can.

The bottom line is it doesn't matter. The dogs needs are not being meet by the family that choose to adopt him (your guys). So either provide what he needs or give him to someone else who can.

Well.. that's my thoughts regarding B. To give him away. But that's not lightly to happen..

Unfortunately, for a lot of people, dogs are just a commodity. You need a guard dog, you get one. Seems like that's the case here.

Somehow I very much doubt it's going back to the shelter or is going to be given to a more suitable owner. All this discussion is pretty much wasted breath

I think dog B is sensing that you favor dog A as you readily admit to doing so.

Tell you mom to tell your sister to take care of that dog or else she is going to be taken back to the shelter.

I don't like your sister's attitude of how she says she has a life and you don't. It sounds like she doesn't plan on changing anything about the situation because she's never around enough for dog B to bother her much. To be honest, she sounds pretty selfish. If your mom refuses to step up to give her the ultimatum, tell her the ultimatum yourself and take the dog to the shelter. Give your sister a deadline so that she knows there's pressure.

And you have to be strong enough to really take that dog back to the shelter. You can't just wimp out at the last minute. Otherwise, your sister will know that your words mean nothing.

Yes , it's fine if B knows. I won't try to lie and hide it. But at least I still give affection to both.

Well , sadly , I don't have a say against my sister. My mom has always been taking her side/ covering for her since she's young. She usually gets away being disrespectful. I've grown pretty used to that and feeling no comment about it by now. And my sister is most likely going to say B is a keep. With that said , it's probably going to be the same with everything as it is now. Only once in a while walk and stuffs.

When we first adopted them , she did participate in bathing them , but it all stopped after a while. Even the spending time with them , it's more like a "hi and bye" for her with those two.

Based on what you've said I don't think you or your family should be pet owners. The previous dogs you had were given no social interaction, no love or attention and used to 'guard the house' get a friggin alarm system! Even now, why have dogs you don't let in the house? Dogs aren't meant to be kept outside that inhumane, I'm sorry but no.

Also based on the information you've given about your lack of patience when it comes to a dogs natural response like yelping and comparing it to the other dog, please don't ever have kids. I don't know how old you are and maybe you're young and have some serious growing up to do, I hope that's the case.

I understand he's a pup and all , but if this is the high yelp for attention , I do spend time with them.. daily. During afternoons sometimes I'd sit around with them. Or sometimes if I feel sleepy , I let them in the living room and we all just sleep on the floor. But no matter how much attention one wants , you gotta know that it can't be a 24/7 thing. Even dogs know that , I've read a post about it before about dogs sleeping on your foot and stuffs. And that they know if you have other matters to attend to they'll understand and etc. But honestly.. it's just too much.

It's only over trivial issues such as can't wait for us to come and open the door for him and starts his yelping ritual. Or after we let him out , he'll start another part two ritual at our living room door. PS , they're not suppose to come in the house though , but sometimes I can't help it I just let them in a few days before we mop the floor and stuffs.

And here is a large part of your problem. First, no they may or B may actually NOT remember the routine, really. You assume more intelligence than may be there. Dog breeds have varying degrees of intelligence and dogs like people can also be smarter or dumber. Animals have personalities like people, to that degree yes they are more like us than we imagine. And that's the case across the boards, like people some are mean, some are friendly, some are smarter, some dumb, some like this, some like that--animals, all animals, are the same.

Second, male dogs typically have more energy and are rowdier than females. That's just a fact if you're around animals. I hope your family is also planning on getting the dogs fixed when they're of age, and that does often calm a dog down some. My plug for no more unwanted puppies and kittens people.

Third, laying around with the dogs is a bonding thing BUT it is not the same as exercise and active play, which dogs need the way you need to eat. You mistake laying around with the dogs for paying attention to them, and it's not the same.

It's likely your biggest problem with this pup, he wants to play and move. Get him toys, play tug of war daily, realize he needs to be drilled daily probably for months on the routine, because he simply may not be as smart as your other dog. This is not a bad thing, it simply is. My rotteweiler is a smart dog, my little pug bless her heart is a sweetie but dumb as a fence post compared to him. No matter, they're both great dogs, each has a place in my heart and vice versa. But I know she's not going to figure out where the dog biscuits are or learn a routine as quickly as my smarty boy will. It's just a fact.

You need to play with the dog or turn him over to someone who will. Tug of war, fetch, this is actually an excellent dog to teach tricks too BTW. And take them out daily for walkies and runs, it will make a huge difference.

Why not? At this point B is miserable, your sister doesn't care and your mom from what it sounds like either doesn't want to do or simply cannot help more with B. So give B to someone who actually give a $h1t about him.

Why not? cause my sis would say so , and that it's her dog and it's for her to decide. Plus she's probably going overseas by this year too. So I seriously don't know. I'm getting on very well with A. It's only my sister's dog that I'm starting to feel very tired to handle now.

Based on what you've said I don't think you or your family should be pet owners. The previous dogs you had were given no social interaction, no love or attention and used to 'guard the house' get a friggin alarm system! Even now, why have dogs you don't let in the house? Dogs aren't meant to be kept outside that inhumane, I'm sorry but no.

Also based on the information you've given about your lack of patience when it comes to a dogs natural response like yelping and comparing it to the other dog, please don't ever have kids. I don't know how old you are and maybe you're young and have some serious growing up to do, I hope that's the case.

You know , not everyone of us who owns a dog are like those on youtube and TV shows and movies. Always indoors and lots of huggies and stuffs. These are actually easier said than done.

And I don't even get your idea of dogs are suppose to be indoors and not outdoors. What kind of crazy concept is that?

It just made me realize you're just one of those people who's really trying to humanize a dog. At this part I can say even I have a better basic sense than you.

Indoor dogs is more for chiwawa's and all those little breeds. Ones I have here aren't those tiny breeds.

You know , not everyone of us who owns a dog are like those on youtube and TV shows and movies. Always indoors and lots of huggies and stuffs. These are actually easier said than done.

And I don't even get your idea of dogs are suppose to be indoors and not outdoors. What kind of crazy concept is that?

It just made me realize you're just one of those people who's really trying to humanize a dog. At this part I can say even I have a better basic sense than you.

Indoor dogs is more for chiwawa's and all those little breeds. Ones I have here aren't those tiny breeds.

This just reaffirms my stance you should not be a pet owner.

Dogs are social creatures that do best when spending time with their "pack" AKA the family who owns them. If they are isolated for a significant amount of time from the pack they develop behavioral issues.

Dogs have emotional needs only humans can provide, keeping dogs separate from their owners is not even close to ideal. Dogs drool, shed, and generally make a mess but its what you signed up for when you decided you wanted their companionship.

Where do you live? This could be. Huge cultural difference in views of pets too

I'm sorry we're not the perfect american side of the family. Our thoughts here regarding these kind of picked up strays are basically just on guard dog duty , main purpose wise. We have owners here who beat their dogs until they wailed to get them to be obedient. One incident was of a neighbour of mine who owned a doberman. Beat it daily , we can hear the cries of the dog.

Plus by adopting any dogs from the shelters around here is a big big thing for them. Shelters here aren't like ones u see in movies.. where one dog each gets a cage and etc. The shelter I went to was packed with near 100 dogs all over. It's very squeezey.. Even one of my friends said that these two are lucky as they get adopted , given a free space to run around in the backyard and stuffs. I also have another friend who puts on a muzzle to his dog simply cause they don't bother to correct him for biting their shoes and stuffs.

Vallan,

I just have one thing to add. If you get rid of Dog B, Dog A will be very lonely and will very likely be just as annoying. My advice is TRY to love both dogs. I understand because I am not a dog person. Barking drives my nerves through the roof, and I cringe when they lick me. I hope you find it in your heart to take responsibility, even for your sister's pup. But if not, please try as hard as you can to find a good home for him.

Dogs have emotional needs only humans can provide, keeping dogs separate from their owners is not even close to ideal.

They're only separated from us during night , when we sleep. During day time my mom and I are usually around the dogs. Mostly me , but my mom does it on and off.

Vallan,

I just have one thing to add. If you get rid of Dog B, Dog A will be very lonely and will very likely be just as annoying. My advice is TRY to love both dogs. I understand because I am not a dog person. Barking drives my nerves through the roof, and I cringe when they lick me. I hope you find it in your heart to take responsibility, even for your sister's pup. But if not, please try as hard as you can to find a good home for him.

Yes I've thought about that lonely part. Plus it's not likely going to happen cause my sister is sure to object.

I tried , did not work well , but I guess I'll try again now.

Yes , that's just the bark. But current problem is he does this real high pitch version , and it's loud too. So it really gets on me over time after he constantly does it day after day.

Archived