I hate my dog

Vallan

You need to talk to your parents about the dogs, about your sister's lack of care AND you need to push to get the dogs proper training with someone who knows what they're doing.

Dogs yelp, you will not find a quiet dog unless you just get luck of the draw. Although where I live the more noise they make, the bigger they are, the better I like it. A quiet dog for me would actually be a liability. I want them to bark and growl and set up a fuss. But that's likely because I live in the middle of nowhere where predators, both animal and the human variety, like to roam thinking they're untouchable. That's not true when my dogs set up an alarm and it's definitely not true since these dogs are trained in a multitude of ways to act to protect.

But that high-pitched yelping? Yeah, that's because the dog is bored and lonely and just wants someone to play with him. He's not getting enough exercise, he's probably a bigger dog, am I right? You or someone needs to take the dog out daily and run, not walk, at least a good long while--say a half hour minimum. Having a backyard is not the same as taking the dogs out for a run, which someone should be doing. As to the eating poo, well good luck with that or you're just not a dog person then because they all do it. Worse, they'll roll in it if they get half a chance. I have horses plus big dogs and yes I keep a hose handy by the back door for that reason.

The fact is what you're describing is a dog who is untrained and to some degree neglected. Talk to your parents about it, choose to take the dogs out for a run every day, and learn about dog training or yes indeed talk to your parents about rehoming the dogs, both of them, to someplace else.

And don't have dogs IF you're going to not train them properly in the first place. I hate to be harsh, but this is one time the finger points back at you and your family. Too many people think dogs are toys and they aren't. And this is what you're running into, the dog is not trained properly, you are not trained properly, your family is not.

A dog, any animal really, is only as well-behaved as they've bonded with you and received proper training, love, attention and reinforcements for good behaviors versus bad. There are no bad pets, only bad owners OR a mismatch between pet and owner's personalities which definitely can happen. I have a horse now, a little mustang, who was not getting along with his previous owner at all. The horse half killed his previous owner, got him down in a pen and stamped the crap out of the guy, but has never so much as raised a hoof to me. But that's because we get along personality-wise. I'm also not penning the little guy up with no exercise either. It makes a giant difference, trust me.

So yes, that is a factor, but it's not a reason to hate an animal. If this is causing problems the person to talk to is your parents and get the dog more exercise, real exercise not just running around in an enclosed fence, get him and all of you trained, or yes take the dog to a no-kill shelter to be rehomed by someone who knows how to take care of him. And by that I mean more than thinking food, water and a little fenced in backyard are enough. They aren't.

Then get a cat or a quiet pet like fish and be done with dogs. Not everyone is a dog person, no shame in that, but it's pure foolishness to have one simply for the sake of having one and that's what you're running into. I would suggest you calm down a bit, get online and do some research on animal behavior and how to properly train a dog. Urge your parents to give you classes. You can either take this dog on as your project and work to create a bond and cure him of this or something. He's a young dog, training at the age you describe is very, very easy. Almost pathetically so if the dog in question hasn't be abused.

Training, training, training. I cannot stress enough how important this is for dog and owner both. Anyways I hope you work this out. It's all the advice I give anyone in this situation.

To me A's fine , sometimes a bit naughty , but still manageable. The problem now for me is just B.

I know they're still puppies. one around 5 months , the other going 8 months soon.

Yes barking's one thing.. but that high pitch yelp.. ugh.

They're not too quiet , A actually does barks when she sees a cat or another dog or person walking by our house.

B only does that occasionally , but he seriously prefers yelping constantly. It's like just over little things..they know the routine , they need to wait for the car to drive in before they're let out near 2-3pm. They know the routine honestly. But B just keeps.. i don't know , does that thing.

I understand he's a pup and all , but if this is the high yelp for attention , I do spend time with them.. daily. During afternoons sometimes I'd sit around with them. Or sometimes if I feel sleepy , I let them in the living room and we all just sleep on the floor. But no matter how much attention one wants , you gotta know that it can't be a 24/7 thing. Even dogs know that , I've read a post about it before about dogs sleeping on your foot and stuffs. And that they know if you have other matters to attend to they'll understand and etc. But honestly.. it's just too much.

It's only over trivial issues such as can't wait for us to come and open the door for him and starts his yelping ritual. Or after we let him out , he'll start another part two ritual at our living room door. PS , they're not suppose to come in the house though , but sometimes I can't help it I just let them in a few days before we mop the floor and stuffs.

So seriously.. where did I even go wrong? I spend time with them daily. Walks too we'll go one round around the neighbourhood. I'm not much of an athletic person , but I do what I can .

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also notice you keep talking about spending time with the dogs. But what exactly are you doing with that time? If it's just sitting with them, in the backyard for example, that is not enough. They need to be walked, and walked and walked some more. They need to be stiumulated mentally and physically to burn energy.

Has your family ever owned dogs before? What breed(s) are these dogs?

You are constantly saying you "correct" them, what exactly are you doing?

And don't use YouTube videos to train your dogs, each dog is different and should be assessed by a professional. They all learn different ways.

like when they first came , I had to sit around and catch them on the act of killing our shoes and stuffs. I had to go "no" or snap my fingers to get their attention , then give them the toy to direct their attention into chewing those instead of the slippers and stuffs. And that they're suppose to do their business outside and not anywhere in our living room and etc. They're just those mixed breeds.. the ones you see mostly in stray dogs. They're not really from any particular breed.

To me A's fine , sometimes a bit naughty , but still manageable. The problem now for me is just B.

I know they're still puppies. one around 5 months , the other going 8 months soon.

Yes barking's one thing.. but that high pitch yelp.. ugh.

They're not too quiet , A actually does barks when she sees a cat or another dog or person walking by our house.

B only does that occasionally , but he seriously prefers yelping constantly. It's like just over little things..they know the routine , they need to wait for the car to drive in before they're let out near 2-3pm. They know the routine honestly. But B just keeps.. i don't know , does that thing.

I understand he's a pup and all , but if this is the high yelp for attention , I do spend time with them.. daily. During afternoons sometimes I'd sit around with them. Or sometimes if I feel sleepy , I let them in the living room and we all just sleep on the floor. But no matter how much attention one wants , you gotta know that it can't be a 24/7 thing. Even dogs know that , I've read a post about it before about dogs sleeping on your foot and stuffs. And that they know if you have other matters to attend to they'll understand and etc. But honestly.. it's just too much.

It's only over trivial issues such as can't wait for us to come and open the door for him and starts his yelping ritual. Or after we let him out , he'll start another part two ritual at our living room door. PS , they're not suppose to come in the house though , but sometimes I can't help it I just let them in a few days before we mop the floor and stuffs.

So seriously.. where did I even go wrong? I spend time with them daily. Walks too we'll go one round around the neighbourhood. I'm not much of an athletic person , but I do what I can .

Here's a big part of the problem. The dogs need at least thirty minutes of exercise, EVERY DAY! The fact that they are puppies would indicate more exercise.

The exercise will do you all good!

You keep comparing A to B. That would be like comparing someone extraordinary, as an Olympic athlete to you or me. Or an extremely outgoing child to and extremely shy child. They are inherently different. B will NEVER be A. B has different needs than A. A sounds like a low-key dog. You are extremely lucky. B, on the other hand is anxious. That is what you need to address instead of getting fustrated that they are not doing exactly what you want them to do.

You need to grow up and realize that a) if the dog is exhibiting some poor behaviors, there's likely something going on that you need to look into, and b) it's a puppy, and if he's feeling neglected he's going to act out.

To say you "hate" your puppy is worrisome. I certainly hope you would never abuse or abandon him - but I have a bad feeling about you.

like when they first came , I had to sit around and catch them on the act of killing our shoes and stuffs. I had to go "no" or snap my fingers to get their attention , then give them the toy to direct their attention into chewing those instead of the slippers and stuffs. And that they're suppose to do their business outside and not anywhere in our living room and etc. They're just those mixed breeds.. the ones you see mostly in stray dogs. They're not really from any particular breed.

Are they large, medium or small dogs? If they're medium-large there's a good chance they have Shepards in them, which immediately makes them a high energy working dog. They NEED mental and physical stimulation, but they don't know that. So they act out, his comfort is the yelping. There's lots of "thinking" treat toys out there you could look into. And make them RUN. Whether it's chasing a ball, going for a run or something. They need activity.

Also, since you have two, look into dog parks or meet-up play groups. It's good for tiring out dogs, getting advice from others experienced with dogs and socialization.

You don't want them growing up as a 2-dog "pack" which could lead to aggression issues.

You should change the title to "my sister's dog" it'll cut down on the harshness of replies you have been getting. Training and maturity will always ease problem behaviors but for some it never goes away. Even professional trainers will only select the best of dogs to undergo therapy/assistant dog training. Dogs have varying personalities just like people. My advice is to mentally adopt your sisters dog as your own or find it a new home. Dogs tend to know when they are the odd man out.

Uh.. haha yes maybe , but I'd like to be honest too. I would be lying if I say I don't even feel the slightest "hate/dislike" feeling with B recently.

Yes.. the never go away part. I'm starting to think it's this with B now.

Mentally adopt B.. a bit hard for me on this one. But maybe I might try.. I'm really more of a one on one person. When I love something , I'd give it my full attention and all. But to go with two usually they don't balance out too well.. I've been telling my sibling a lot of times now that he needs to spend more time with her dog and stuffs. But it's just not really happening. And what's worse is that she might be going overseas pretty soon too.

Maybe I'm being unfair here with the favor one than the other. But at least I did loved both before. Plus I think although it's not usually spelled out. We all kind of end up favoring something over the other when there's two option.. it's just something that can't be helped. it's only until recently I'm starting to feel more frustrated towards B.

The poop eating thing - it's because the dog is lacking certain enzymes, minerals or vitamins. You need to take him to a vet, have him examined, blood work done so the vet can tell you what the dog needs that's missing in his diet so that can be fixed. Once he starts getting what he needs, he will not eat poop. This is not a bad habit, it's an indication of a health problem.

The yelping - you keep saying that you sit with them. You MUST take them for walks 45 minutes each walk at least twice a day. This means getting up extra early in the morning and taking them for a vigorous walk/run and then coming back in the evening and taking them out again for a good long walk/run. Dogs REQUIRE daily vigorous exercise.

You cannot lock them up in the back yard and call it a day on dog care. Dogs as pets are frankly extremely high maintenance if you wish to keep them healthy and happy. If you fail to provide the exercise AND training, you will get dogs who are going nuts, which manifests in barking, chewing, digging, aggression, and all kinds of other behavioral problems. They all go back to the same thing - dogs must have daily exercise. If these are big working breed type dogs, then they also need training and a job in addition to exercise. Please talk to your mom asap about working with a trainer. Otherwise, you may think you are treating them well, but really you are just abusing them.

If you can't provide the above, then please take them to a no kill shelter so they can be adopted by people who know what they are doing and can provide with dogs with what they need. I sit with the dogs doesn't work. I repeat I sit with the dogs and pet them doesn't work.

Do they spend a lot of time in the house on their own?
re

Nah , they're not allowed indoors in the first place. It's just that sometimes I let em in while I'm also around in the living room. But I'll forbid them to roam upstairs and the kitchen.

So, it's been mentioned several times and you have yet to respond to it so I will ask it again: How much exercise (that is walking/running NOT being out in a backyard) are you providing the dogs each day?

Just roughly 25-30 mins walk around the neighbourhood. I do that in the evening.

You need to grow up and realize that a) if the dog is exhibiting some poor behaviors, there's likely something going on that you need to look into, and b) it's a puppy, and if he's feeling neglected he's going to act out.

To say you "hate" your puppy is worrisome. I certainly hope you would never abuse or abandon him - but I have a bad feeling about you.

To be more precise it's more of my sister's dog.

Abuse? Not going to do that. Worst thing I did so far is just yelling him to shut it when he's been yelping too much recently.

Quite simply, it sounds like you need to get out of the house more.

I do think some of the language toward the OP is a bit harsh. It sounds a lot like misdirected frustration than a genuine hatred. I don't see any indicators of abuse and OP has tried to provide the dog affection in lieu of her sister stepping up. However, depending on your age, OP, you really should have the capability to rationalize and empathize to know better than blaming the dog to any extent.

Wait are these even outside dogs? What's their coat? What climate do you live in? Do they have shelter and all outside?

Maybe the inbetween? Idk , they're not really from any particular breed here. Just the usual strays from streets abandoned dog which ends up in the shelter.

Yes , we even fixed our backyard's roof before adopting dogs so that they have somewhere to stay dry when it rains.

Maybe the inbetween? Idk , they're not really from any particular breed here. Just the usual strays from streets abandoned dog which ends up in the shelter.

Yes , we even fixed our backyard's roof before adopting dogs so that they have somewhere to stay dry when it rains.

Has your family ever owned dogs before? I ask because you sound very new to all this. Do they have short or long hair? The shelter should have also told you their best guess for what breeds they are, even being mutts. Are they says 10lbs or less? 20-30lbs? 40 - 50? 50 or more?

Vallan, how much effort are you and your family willing to put Ito caring for these dogs? Honestly?

So far this is sounding like a very bad ending for these two pups....

A's doing very fine , and I'm loving her very much and she's been much much more obedient than B... B's a bit too much for me to handle. And B's actually my sister's pick. But she barely takes up any responsibility on him.

We actually only wanted one at first. But my sibling wanted B , and plus the encouragement from the lady from the shelter asking us that if that's the case why not just take two instead. And this is how things end up .. Only problem now is just B.

My mom only helps with the cleaning up poops and giving them food. But not on the spending time and walking part. So that's only up to my sibling and I. And please do not blame my mom for that , she's not that young anymore and I don't really like to ask anymore from her.

I'm definitely not a very athletic person here. But I do my best on bringing them for short walks around the neighbourhood.

My siblilng probably has more stamina , but the problem is that she doesn't bothers with them most of the time.

re

Nah , they're not allowed indoors in the first place. It's just that sometimes I let em in while I'm also around in the living room. But I'll forbid them to roam upstairs and the kitchen.

They're not allowed indoors?? That's absolutely terrible - your family should not have pets.

Archived