Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

I had ice cream for the first time last night in months, and I can't believe how much it's wrecking me. Ugh

Sorry!! I met a really annoying person yesterday. I met a woman through a popular neighborhood website for the first time in person -who was VERY nice/fun but she invited someone she'd recently met - another woman who acted in a very brash and annoying way -I typically have a really thick skin but this was full on and too much for me to take.

Sorry!! I met a really annoying person yesterday. I met a woman through a popular neighborhood website for the first time in person -who was VERY nice/fun but she invited someone she'd recently met - another woman who acted in a very brash and annoying way -I typically have a really thick skin but this was full on and too much for me to take.

Yikes. What did she do /say? Sorry this happened.

Yikes. What did she do /say? Sorry this happened.

Thanks for asking and commiserating! Without the annoying details lol it was one of those things where her tone was very brash and in your face -within about 20 minutes of meeting she'd said harshly "I don't agree" (no, nothing political or sensitive) and accused me of not laughing at her joke (I honestly didn't hear the joke part because we were walking outdoors where it was noisy - I commented on what I did hear which was the ages of her kids who were not there). She interrupted to tell me that a medical diagnosis one of my relatives had had "couldn't" be correct (no she's not a doctor and anyway who asked her).

To clarify - this was the new acquaintance of the woman I'd met through a neighborhood website for the first time. That person was lovely.

Thanks for asking and commiserating! Without the annoying details lol it was one of those things where her tone was very brash and in your face -within about 20 minutes of meeting she'd said harshly "I don't agree" (no, nothing political or sensitive) and accused me of not laughing at her joke (I honestly didn't hear the joke part because we were walking outdoors where it was noisy - I commented on what I did hear which was the ages of her kids who were not there). She interrupted to tell me that a medical diagnosis one of my relatives had had "couldn't" be correct (no she's not a doctor and anyway who asked her).

To clarify - this was the new acquaintance of the woman I'd met through a neighborhood website for the first time. That person was lovely.

I had a friend growing up like that... but her whole family was like that though (super outspoken)so she never felt like she was doing anything wrong. I got more and more quiet the longer we hung out and my mum actually called me out on it and said I wasn't ever happy coming back from her house after a sleepover etc. We were maybe 13 or 14 at the time. Maybe I was trying too hard to impress her without knowing it but it drowned out my own thoughts. That's when I learned some people aren't wrong for being who they are... they just don't bring out the best in me, different filters, upbringing, personality etc. I don't know if that makes sense. That's really great that the person you met (not her friend) ended up being fabulous and friendly.

I had a friend growing up like that... but her whole family was like that though (super outspoken)so she never felt like she was doing anything wrong. I got more and more quiet the longer we hung out and my mum actually called me out on it and said I wasn't ever happy coming back from her house after a sleepover etc. We were maybe 13 or 14 at the time. Maybe I was trying too hard to impress her without knowing it but it drowned out my own thoughts. That's when I learned some people aren't wrong for being who they are... they just don't bring out the best in me, different filters, upbringing, personality etc. I don't know if that makes sense. That's really great that the person you met (not her friend) ended up being fabulous and friendly.

Yes that's a great perspective! What you wrote reminded me of a book I'm reading with my son for kids -about friendship. The name of one chapter is something like "connect don't impress' - to be a friend you don't need to try to impress and I think in your case this person brought out that tendency in you to want to impress which as you put drowned out your own thoughts. I can imagine that and relate!!

I think yes that some people are just like that and I believe strongly that people can change if they choose -especially when they see how others react. I've changed and I'm also a work in progress. I've made many different choices as to how to react, tone, words especially when it comes to marriage and parenting. But I also started changing over 20 years ago in one aspect when my then boyfriend (later my fiancee, ex fiancee, fiancee again, now husband!) said one thing about how I was with people -and the way he put it- not judgmental, but direct and of course from a loving place - changed my way of interacting with others in a really significant way. I was 30 at the time (and now 53 and still evolving and changing) so it can be done. That friend and her family made a choice and certainly being outspoken is not a crime - but I would draw the line at stuff that hurts others. This woman I met was fairly harmless and I linkedin with her because we're in the same general industry

Thanks so much for sharing -the opposite of annoying lol.

My employee who has had SIX relatives "pass away" over the past year and a half. And all of these relatives live overseas, requiring several days off. My company no longer asks for proof that someone actually died, so not only does this employee get a week off but two days are with pay.

He's admitted to other employees that no one really died, he just took trips to the other side of the country for personal reasons. But since I didn't hear him say it there's nothing me or my manager can do.

That is so annoying Boltnrun! I lost my building access key card today for the second time in 7 years and I had perishable groceries with me and my husband again left his cellphone off so I was locked out for several minutes until I could be let in by a nice neighbor. Replacement cost is now $100 (ouch).

For some reason I cannot like a post in this thread. Great thoughts, Batya. I'm also definitely learning still.

Wow. Why did the company stop asking for proof? Shouldn't this be more reason to ask for proof.... ? Sorry to say the obvious. What's going on??

HR got involved and decreed it was not a "positive associate experience" to require proof that someone actually died. I have to presume someone got an attorney or something. He has been using this excuse for nearly two years and continues to do so because he knows there's nothing anyone can do. He's already one step away from being termed for cause but that doesn't stop him. I'm sure in another few weeks someone else will "die".

HR got involved and decreed it was not a "positive associate experience" to require proof that someone actually died. I have to presume someone got an attorney or something. He has been using this excuse for nearly two years and continues to do so because he knows there's nothing anyone can do. He's already one step away from being termed for cause but that doesn't stop him. I'm sure in another few weeks someone else will "die".

Seems very unjust and unfair to the company, not to mention the people who have to cover for him while he's away.

Seems very unjust and unfair to the company, not to mention the people who have to cover for him while he's away.

Yes, all of this and also very annoying! So after I lost my key card my husband took my son out to go to lunch and swim lesson -finally giving me some me time -then texted that he has a flat tire. But, bless him, he's taking our son out to lunch to a local place. So I have some me time.

My company usually adopts change for one of two reasons; someone was injured or killed (sad) or someone threatened to sue or did sue and won. There are a lot of HR policies that are in place to "protect" the employees but really are there to protect the company from lawsuits. So he gets to continue to lie about his family members "dying" and the rest of the department either has no coverage or we are scrambling to find someone at the last second who can come in.

For me, I wouldn't want the bad karma. I mean, lying about family members dying is just inviting the universe to have someone I care about actually die. How bad would he feel if Grandma really did die?

New + improved!!! ....

I'm cynical about packaging and labelling. Some of it has to do with having worked with product development and labelling. We have some of the strictest laws and yet the room there for deliberate misunderstanding is HUGE. The companies take full advantage, misleading customers all the time.

New + improved!!! ....

I'm cynical about packaging and labelling. Some of it has to do with having worked with product development and labelling. We have some of the strictest laws and yet the room there for deliberate misunderstanding is HUGE. The companies take full advantage, misleading customers all the time.

I love when companies come out with a "new" version of a product that says "FEWER CALORIES" then in tiny print "than 12 ounce size" when the "new" version is 8 ounces. Bonus points for charging more for the size with "fewer calories".