Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

Can you elaborate?

I am in operation/facilities. Engineers, contractors, sometimes my bf, my brother . .that - just by nature of being a man they are more knowledgeable about certain things.

I've had 16 years experience here and I just had a plumbing contractor talk down me to be about how something works. (flood stop) He was actually incorrect about one aspect of it, but never the less he schooled me as if I wouldn't know better, after all I am a woman. . sigh. He did everything but call me `little lady'

I get it all day, everyday.

I have a young man my son's age, that reports to me. He is loosely defined as my assistant. I've taught him almost everything he knows (work related) He's been a very slow learner and finally at the 5 year mark I can safely say he knows his job. Every single time I ask him the outcome of an issue and he lectures me how it operates. That wasn't the question!

I am in operation/facilities. Engineers, contractors, sometimes my bf, my brother . .that - just by nature of being a man they are more knowledgeable about certain things.

I've had 16 years experience here and I just had a plumbing contractor talk down me to be about how something works. (flood stop) He was actually incorrect about one aspect of it, but never the less he schooled as if I wouldn't know better, after all I am a woman. . sigh. He did everything but call me `little lady'

I get it all day, everyday.

I have a young man my son's age, that reports to me. He is loosely defined as my assistant. I've taught him almost everything he knows (work related) He's been a very slow learner and finally at the 5 year mark I can safely say he knows his job. Every single time I ask him the outcome of an issue and he lectures me how it operates. That wasn't the question!

That sucks! Both of my Engineering leads are women, and younger than I, and they are the BEST leads I have ever had. I treat them with the utmost respect!

That sucks! Both of my Engineering leads are women, and younger than I, and they are the BEST leads I have ever had. I treat them with the utmost respect!

I love that you said that ^^

I have to be fair. I do have the respect of some of the building engineers here. And other contractors I work with. But it's only after I've had some repeated interaction with them and they recognize that I do know my job.

But at first glance, I get the man speak. I've learned to expect it, but it still makes my hackles go up.

I thought these were my friends...

One coworker who I thought I was friendly with (we had plans for him, his wife and a couple other people to go out after work sometime) reported me to the general manager because he asked me to help him with a task that I am not trained in and have zero knowledge of. I told him I wasn't trained in that (very specialized) function but he could probably get This Person to assist him. He emailed the GM saying I was rude and unsupportive.

A friend of mine who works at the same company as me is angry and very short with me because I was hired for a position she was hoping to get. Apparently it's somehow my fault she's unhappy with the shift she was assigned and now she's stuck! Because I got the job and now she has to stay miserable! I told her ahead of time I planned to apply, BTW.

Another friend is suing the company I still work for (that she used to work at) and has named me as a witness in the lawsuit. Great.

I'm fearful that some of this will affect the position I was hired for. Offers have been withdrawn for less. I'm on pins and needles until I actually start.

I thought these were my friends...

One coworker who I thought I was friendly with (we had plans for him, his wife and a couple other people to go out after work sometime) reported me to the general manager because he asked me to help him with a task that I am not trained in and have zero knowledge of. I told him I wasn't trained in that (very specialized) function but he could probably get This Person to assist him. He emailed the GM saying I was rude and unsupportive.

A friend of mine who works at the same company as me is angry and very short with me because I was hired for a position she was hoping to get. Apparently it's somehow my fault she's unhappy with the shift she was assigned and now she's stuck! Because I got the job and now she has to stay miserable! I told her ahead of time I planned to apply, BTW.

Another friend is suing the company I still work for (that she used to work at) and has named me as a witness in the lawsuit. Great.

I'm fearful that some of this will affect the position I was hired for. Offers have been withdrawn for less. I'm on pins and needles until I actually start.

Co-workers are just that... co-workers. They are acquaintances whom you spend most of your waking life with, they are not friends. You should probably try to create some boundaries and not expect anything from them other than the support you need to perform your job.

Co-workers are just that... co-workers. They are acquaintances whom you spend most of your waking life with, they are not friends. You should probably try to create some boundaries and not expect anything from them other than the support you need to perform your job.

Two out of the three were friends before we all started working for the same company.

The comment "missing your baby?" again and again and again because I use my perfectly good old stroller as a shopping cart (I walk to shopping) - my husband said no I cannot reply with "the baby died."

Hahahaha.

That reminds me of when I worked as a painter on campus one summer. If I was painting a lobby or a hallway that was open to regular foot traffic, it seemed like 95% of the people needed to say, "You missed a spot" as they passed through.

Ha! Me too. Especially when they are my age or younger.

Young girl that works at Starbucks in my building, applied for receptionist position at my work. I would be her direct supervisor and after her interview I told HR that I wouldn't hire her for two reasons.

Firstly, she has no reception experience. Secondly, I cringe every time this 20 somethin' year old hands me my coffee and says `here you go, Sweetie" Uhg.