Please stop me from just walking out...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heather, and I just read your other thread regarding your company....NEVER EVER EVER EVER and I mean EVER take a counteroffer. No matter what it is. Ever. I am an Executive Recruiter in Accounting and Finance and the candidates I see take a counteroffer to stay with their current firm, often leave within 6 months because they are fired or leave. It is never a permanent solution. And it sounds like this company is not good.

But you are doing all the right things. You go girl!

Oh, have so learned that lesson! Honestly, I think if you're considering leaving in the first place, that means something there simply isn't working for you - so no counter-offer will fix whatever it is that prompted you to have one foot out the door to start with.

And that's SO interesting that you're an Exec Recruiter - I really appreciate the advice. I will never, ever accept a counter-offer again.

(I listened to someone who is a sort of mentor for me, but he's also someone who - at the time - wanted me to stay for his own reasons. He's changed his tune now, but I realize I let his own personal wish for me to stay color my decision [he's a client with whom I've developed a very good friendship, and he's been in this business for 40 years, so I respect his wisdom. He also told me that he's been talking with my bosses about investing in this agency, so that also impacted things]. Never again.)

YAYYY!! Crossing my fingers for you! When do you find out??

Well, step three is next week at some point - though I'll be connecting with the recruiter at some point over the weekend (briefly via phone) to prepare, as it's a role-play exercise and they provide materials to study. Then we'll set up the actual time/day. And THEN, if I get through THAT phase, there will be a full-day of interviews at the offices.

Very stressful but I'm trying to stay hopeful! Thank you so much!

That is exactly right - what ever is causing you to leave you have deemed that your current employer cannot fix. That is ultimately the motivation for your job search and what your new employer will need to solve. When a candidate tells me that they are looking for more money, I tell them go ask for a raise right now, your current company can solve that.

I totally understand that we all get influenced especially in our careers and people that we value their opinion will tell us things that conflict with what we want to do. Now you know! You are in the driving seat of your career!

And the employment market is fantastic in MA! We have quite a few clients there that are growing and expanding, great place to be!

That is exactly right - what ever is causing you to leave you have deemed that your current employer cannot fix. That is ultimately the motivation for your job search and what your new employer will need to solve. When a candidate tells me that they are looking for more money, I tell them go ask for a raise right now, your current company can solve that.

I totally understand that we all get influenced especially in our careers and people that we value their opinion will tell us things that conflict with what we want to do. Now you know! You are in the driving seat of your career!

And the employment market is fantastic in MA! We have quite a few clients there that are growing and expanding, great place to be!

That's great to hear! Last time (the time I accepted the counter-offer), I had interviews set up within DAYS of starting my search, and offer about a week and a half or two weeks later. So I'm feeling positive and hopeful that if this one doesn't work out (though I SO hope it does!), something will.

I have my fingers crossed for you Heather. All the best. I can empathise with so much of what you say and been wanting to move onto something much better as well (lots of management bullying and games). I too have begun pursuing other employment.

Thank you! And good luck to you as well! I'm sorry you're experience something similar. Have you gotten any promising leads on something new?

Yes, I may have an interview soon. It's not for anything with high status such as your job, and it will be less hours, but this would be good for me for a while. I feel so worn down by bullying. My "mistake" was that I lodged a formal bullying complaint against my manager and pointed out some serious issues of mismanagement. They brought in an external investigator who found in my favour, but on the technicality that she claimed her intent was never to cause me distress. I was asked if I was agreeable to mediation with her, and I very naevely said yes. It got even worse after that. I have some good things outside of work happening in my life. I had worked casual with agencies in the past and was often asked to go permanent staff with clients. I'd be happy to do that for a while. So sick of internal politics and corporate narcissists. I feel pretty disillusioned also because I had believed that Employee Relations Department cared about employees and we're aiming to develop a much better culture. Now I see that they are really just there to protect the organisation from being sued - and there have been a lot of people taking legal action against them.

Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear all that has happened! My mom has always sworn that people shouldn't trust HR departments, because they ultimately have the company's best interest in mind over the employee's - as you, unfortunately, found out. I know someone who was having big trouble in her place of employment with a very corrupt (by the sounds of it) management team, and when she went to HR to seek some help, she ended up fired! I think that if you become a squeaky wheel, even when it's 100% justified, you're considered a threat to the status quo. I really hope that you find a place where you can be happier.

Good luck!

A department in my company that is related to HR is currently mishandling something for me. I've called and called and no one can explain why it hasn't been fixed. They just keep promising it will get fixed...and it doesn't. It's been 14 days.

I did vent my frustrations to the guy on the phone, but I also let him know that I knew he wasn't the issue. I asked how I could help get the issue resolved and of course there's nothing (I already did my part). But since I plan to stay with the company I have to tread lightly.

Hope the interview goes well and you find yourself in a better spot.

Good luck!

A department in my company that is related to HR is currently mishandling something for me. I've called and called and no one can explain why it hasn't been fixed. They just keep promising it will get fixed...and it doesn't. It's been 14 days.

I did vent my frustrations to the guy on the phone, but I also let him know that I knew he wasn't the issue. I asked how I could help get the issue resolved and of course there's nothing (I already did my part). But since I plan to stay with the company I have to tread lightly.

Hope the interview goes well and you find yourself in a better spot.

Thank you! Good luck - but yes, definitely tread lightly with HR. That said, from what I've heard, it seems like the issues with them come more from going to them with issues of personnel and such. So I'm sure you're fine!

And thank you so much everyone! I'll keep ya updated!

So, quick update:

1. Had the 3rd interview yesterday, but I won't know till next week whether or not they want me back for the 4th and final step.

2. I had my quarterly performance evaluation yesterday (douche bosses asked me to stay AFTER my normal hours to have it, then kept me waiting 30 minutes). Apparently, they'd guessed that I've been planning to bail - they suspected I was interviewing and they noticed I've seemed "disengaged and distant" from them lately. (Insert eye roll here.) So, cat's out of the bag. They're not firing me for it, because they really need me to help them transition my clients to whomever they find to replace me - but, of course, as soon as I get a job, I'm outta here and not looking back. However, at least this allows me to leave on an amicable note, with them as references.

3. Two of the contacts/friends I've made while here (we meet monthly at a mutual client's ad partner meeting) have quietly approached me about positions in their marketing departments! Both are MAJOR companies, so this is awesome and I love that they know me and my work and want me to join their teams. So I have three leads cooking right now.

I feel like a weight has been lifted because I no longer have to fake it here; nothing they say, at this point, can penetrate this armor. I also found out that the other female here, who is pregnant, has decided she probably won't be coming back because she can't deal with them anymore, either.

By the way, in my performance eval, I got points taken off for that after-work volunteer event I missed because of needing to study. LOL.

Sounds like everything is working out. So pleased for you! Now it's just a matter of waiting, which is sometimes the hardest part. You've got this!

Thanks!! And yes, the waiting is what kills me! But I think just knowing that I have these three leads, and that my job knows so there's less pressure, is helping.

Here's hoping something pans out and this all becomes a memory.

Thanks! Can you believe that? It just shows how incredibly ignorant they are about how to manage.

Yup....if you had any doubt about leaving there, this would have removed all doubt. It is almost laughable but the sad thing is that people work to support themselves and survive. To have to endure their moron behavior is just selling yourself short, so I am glad that you are getting out of there one way or the other! chi

Congrats on the new leads! I can definitely empathize with wanting the heck out of where you are as I feel the same way.

I know things will work out. The only question is patience!

Good luck. There is a company that needs what you have.

Thanks, MD! Patience is not my strong-suit, but I'm trying!

I'm convinced that my current employer is going to let me go this week, though - between them being somewhat inconsistent in things and me needing time for interviews, I just don't see them sitting back and keeping me much longer. We shall see.

Archived