Man with No Facebook

TMifune

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's "unusual" if the person is under 40 but not a bad thing, not a bad thing at all!

I'm under 40 and don't have fb....it just creates unecessary stress. Lots of my friends deleted their profiles for the same reason.

Dating a guy without facebook is more fun. You don't feel like you know everything about him already.

Where does this mythical creature live? Is he betrothed?

Methinks I want to marry him.

I may have taken him off the market, sorry girls. My husband had an FB page before we dated, hated it, found needless drama and got FB stalked by some woman who met him at an arti show and there went his page, buh-bye. I have one, but so rarely use it anymore it's not funny. Mostly to send the relatives notices for family reunions, which we do in person thank you very much.

And as you can see fellas, we ladies kind of dig it when you don't have an FB page. And don't even get me started about Twitter. (shudders)

My ex made a comment something like being glad I didn't use Facebook. In retrospect I think she was ashamed of me and afraid of what her "friends" would think of her, so she was glad because I couldn't "reflect poorly on her" if no one saw us together.

I was SO happy when my ex deleted fb. I was tired to have to look good on pictures. It's hard work lol

Wasn't ashamed of him at all.

Fb is a real mine field. One day or another you're going to stumble upon things you don't want to see. Relationships are just so much easier without that crap.

I'm under 40 and don't have fb....it just creates unecessary stress. Lots of my friends deleted their profiles for the same reason.

Dating a guy without facebook is more fun. You don't feel like you know everything about him already.

Agreed. It's nice to find out things on your own about people (not necessarily talking relationships, just friends and family too!) by talking to them, instead of just seeing it.

You would be surprised but I heard last time on telly that the average FB user is 41. Expected younger as well.

Yeah I read somewhere that younger adults have abandoned Facebook for Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. They think Facebook is passe. I think most people using Facebook are older adults.

OMG a man without Facebook??? Blasphemy!!! Dealbreaker!!!

...just kidding. Of course I would, I actually prefer it if the man doesn't put much stress on social media. I do have Facebook but don't really post myself, I use it mostly to keep up with my friends' lives. I just don't see the appeal of making my private life public, and really, my life is not *that* exciting, I am not into "selfies" and I'd rather do something more constructive with my free time.

So according to a lot of the posters, posting on this social media site, the social media Facebook is a pariah. And more interesting, publicly not liking Facebook can be just as much about image crafting, as all those image crafters on Facebook. I'm too cool for Facebook.

Would you date someone that watched television? Or had a laptop? Those people with kitchen sinks are kind of shady too.

I had me a big cup of cynical this morning

So according to a lot of the posters, posting on this social media site, the social media Facebook is a pariah. And more interesting, publicly not liking Facebook can be just as much about image crafting, as all those image crafters on Facebook. I'm too cool for Facebook.

Would you date someone that watched television? Or had a laptop? Those people with kitchen sinks are kind of shady too.

Okay. George Carlin

Would you date a woman at all?

Wowza, don't cut yourself on that edge.

In all seriousness it doesn't matter. I dated a woman without a FB account. I dated a woman without a cell phone.

There are some women on my friend list that have to keep telling the world they are in the best relationship in the world. At least once a week they have a picture of themselves and their man at some restaurant, attraction, date. I would find that annoying, having a girlfriend constantly posting "I'm so happy" crap and photographic documented proof.

So I guess it comes to not so much belonging to Facebook, but what kind of user they are.

Yep, it's not so much what you have, it's what you DO with what you have, be a phone, a car, a Facebook account, an eNotalone account, a body, a personality...

In all seriousness it doesn't matter. I dated a woman without a FB account. I dated a woman without a cell phone.

There are some women on my friend list that have to keep telling the world they are in the best relationship in the world. At least once a week they have a picture of themselves and their man at some restaurant, attraction, date. I would find that annoying, having a girlfriend constantly posting "I'm so happy" crap and photographic documented proof.

So I guess it comes to not so much belonging to Facebook, but what kind of user they are.

My point exactly. I think the enemy is not social media per say but how it is being used. In past eras when new technology was introduced there seemed to be a 'protocol' or set of etiquette that came with it. In the digital age there seems not to be any type of handbook. Its a free for all. To that end, we have all these various types of ways to use this medium beyond what it was originally designed to do.

Some of those uses are positive while others are not so positive. As users we should be the rulers of Facebook not be ruled by it. If others choose to not engage with Facebook or any type of social media they are not a pariah. If they choose to sit on Facebook all day long that is on them. If one does not like the way another uses their Facebook, they can take them off their feed and they don't even have to view their posts. There is not need to block them or delete them. Just like in real life when someone is annoying you and you severely cut back your outings with them.

I think it's great to not have FB. I don't have FB but my BF does. I would love it if he wasn't on it, but he isn't a heavy user anyway.

I have made it known that I would prefer that he not name me on his profile or post pics of me or the two of us on his page, and he put up some resistance to that, so I had to explain that I don't want FB to own those pics of me/him forever--and I don't like the idea of a bunch of random people on his friends list that I don't know getting to see who I am--just feels weird too me, kind of a stupid conversation to have to have, but I guess it's to be expected in this day and age.

I think it's great to not have FB. I don't have FB but my BF does. I would love it if he wasn't on it, but he isn't a heavy user anyway.

I have made it known that I would prefer that he not name me on his profile or post pics of me or the two of us on his page, and he put up some resistance to that, so I had to explain that I don't want FB to own those pics of me/him forever--and I don't like the idea of a bunch of random people on his friends list that I don't know getting to see who I am--just feels weird too me, kind of a stupid conversation to have to have, but I guess it's to be expected in this day and age.

I agree with the tagging business. I have told my daughter to never tag me and to keep images of me to a minimum. My Facebook page have very few images of me or even my daughter. When I go out with friends and they take pictures and put it up on Facebook and they tag me I reject the tag requests. Also I think posting relationship statuses are off limits for me. Thus as I shared earlier in this thread I don't think people you are dating and not in a serious relationship should be on each other's friends list. Also, I'm not a big fan of having zillions of friends on my list. I think I haven't hit the 70 count yet.

In past eras when new technology was introduced there seemed to be a 'protocol' or set of etiquette that came with it. I

Do we know this to be true? I have the impression that it takes time for that "protocol" to take shape. I've heard that the printed book was bemoaned by some (imagine it was a bit like watching people on their mobile devises), as was the written word. Every new step has its impact.

link removed

Oh, the printing press, and the telephone! ^

I have a facebook account but I haven't so much as logged in in 5+ years. I still get notifications in my email sometimes, but they're mostly random status updates that facebook sends me in the hopes I'll log back in. I only keep it in case someone I might want to talk to from the past reaches out to me, but for the most part nobody uses it to try to get in touch with me, so it's basically just an old digital snapshot.

I think my reason for asking is that, as time goes by I more and more think that anything that I don't do that "everyone does" just makes me look even weirder.

A number of women stopped communicating with me when they found out that I didn't have FB--I assume they thought I was married or shady or something.

Archived