Man with No Facebook

TMifune

"Another study (link is external) involving students who sought to go without media for 24 hours recorded their reactions to this, and included such feelings as: fretful, confused, anxious, irritable, insecure, nervous, restless, crazy, addicted, panicked, jealous, angry, lonely, dependent, depressed, jittery and paranoid. But near-constant engagement with social media can also have a negative impact. Facebook and Twitter can be time sinks at work and at home. They can make us less productive, but more importantly time spent on our social networks can actually undermine our flesh and blood social lives. "

link removed

shocking , just shocking .

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know, but I do know that being kind, patient, intelligent, clever, "cool", "chill", loving, interesting, educated, funny, playful etc.....aren't generally enough to capture or maintain a woman's interest. It's almost funny that something as simple as social media seems like it's a bigger negative than even the combination of the above is a positive.

Dude, you are going after the wrong women if that's what you think. Or maybe you live in the wrong place. And I say that because when I lived in L.A. I felt that way and was pretty invisible once I passed my "oh, you look like a young X, Y, X, what films/tv shows have you done?" expiration date. Of coure the reply," None, I'm not an actress" would usually kill interest anyways. Moved to New Mexico and suddenly I was the belle of the ball, because my looks stand out there more and I was the new girl in a fairly small community with a lot of single manly men.

Plus I'm going to be blunt it takes some serious time and leg work usually to find a good one through all of the close, close enough, not even in the running categories of people you will encounter in life. Keep looking, keep being yourself. At the end of the day it's all you can do. And as everyone gets older and the whole "Now we're supposed to's" fade away I found that people valued individuality more. Or maybe it's just that I stopped caring. Not sure which.

But should you try to be like everything modern media says you should be? Please don't.

And Sportster2005, don't even get me started on hipsters.

Well, I say that mostly through the lens of my ex who claims I'm all those things, but "something was missing". I know that's her issue, but it sure does leave you looking around asking yourself what the heck you were missing and how to get some of it.

Is that now another tick box for women?

I don't think it's a tick box really. I only asked because the lack of it seems like something a woman might notice. That and I think someone people need the validation they get from plastering how "happy" they are all over Facebook to their "friends".

I don't think it's a tick box really. I only asked because the lack of it seems like something a woman might notice. That and I think someone people need the validation they get from plastering how "happy" they are all over Facebook to their "friends".

But that's only one of many uses of Facebook. I use it to network and as another way of keeping in touch with people. I've made my own posts three times in over 7 years and posted a photo (from a newspaper I was in with my son) only once. I can't relate to using Facebook for the type of validation you mention.

Well, I say that mostly through the lens of my ex who claims I'm all those things, but "something was missing". I know that's her issue, but it sure does leave you looking around asking yourself what the heck you were missing and how to get some of it.

You think what was missing was your Facebook page? Nah, man. When a woman (or man) says things like "something is missing," It's usually a roundabout way of saying "I don't dig you anymore."

There are various reasons why that may be, and some of those could be their own personality issues, but man, you are over-analyzing if you think it has anything to do with not having a Facebook.

But that's only one of many uses of Facebook. I use it to network and as another way of keeping in touch with people. I've made my own posts three times in over 7 years and posted a photo (from a newspaper I was in with my son) only once. I can't relate to using Facebook for the type of validation you mention.

Which probably means you're a much healthier individual than the people to whom I refer!

Ladies,

Would you date a guy who didn't use Facebook at all?

When I tell people I'm not on FB their instant reaction is "never join!...don't do it!!" They're like junkies telling me not to stick the needle in my arm. Then their next sentence is an excuse why they use it, and their third is expressing they wish they could use it less or quit.

Some women suspect it's a red flag I'm not on it.. Quality women get turned-on by the fact.

It's neither a positive or negative, it shouldn't be relevant in one's consideration of dating someone. Some people like to use it, some don't. Some people like bacon, some don't (although I don't know who these people are), it doesn't mean anything in the dating context.

When I tell people I'm not on FB their instant reaction is "never join!...don't do it!!" They're like junkies telling me not to stick the needle in my arm. Then their next sentence is an excuse why they use it, and their third is expressing they wish they could use it less or quit.

Some women suspect it's a red flag I'm not on it.. Quality women get turned-on by the fact.

It's just a sign of the times that this is even a topic. I'm not currently active on FB (could reactive it if I want, have no desire to). If a woman finds this a deal breaker, it would just be hilarious to me lol

It's just a sign of the times that this is even a topic. I'm not currently active on FB (could reactive it if I want, have no desire to). If a woman finds this a deal breaker, it would just be hilarious to me lol

I think so too. They can't conceive of someone not on "social" media, so they presume I'm lying or have something to hide. The irony is that if they "Googled" me they'd find far more than you would on most people. It doesn't get that far though because I've no interest in someone with their worldview, even though I can understand where they're coming from. They dated some guy who said the same thing to hide the fact he was married. Typical type that tries to view you through the sins of their exes, and tries to make you pay for those sins. No thanks. Instant kibosh.

• 3 years later...
Gosh, I saw M Howe as the first responder in this post and thought she was back! (then caught it was 2015). I suppose that's a post for another section, but I always wondered what happened to her.

I saw your reply to this thread and though TMifune was back lol!!!

I miss them both so much!

Archived